PDA

View Full Version : The Warlock - the 4th edition class that stuck around.

Grynning
2014-08-28, 09:16 AM
So I've been thinking a lot about Warlocks lately, and how much I like their mix of abilities. To me, they seem much closer to what a high fantasy spellcaster should do than the Wizard or Sorcerer - slinging around low level spells all day no problem (cantrips and "per encounter" spells) and occasionally pulling out big guns (the arcanum spells), with various quirky abilities sprinkled in to give them some variety (invocations). It hit me that Warlocks use pretty much the same resource mechanic as 4th ed characters did. At-wills, encounters, dailies, and utility powers, respective to my previous list. They also kept their Curse ability in the form of the Hex spell.
However, they are obviously a bit different than their 4th ed counterpart, since spells are much more fantastic and have more fluff and RP application in this edition than in 4th. Also, the irksome hour-long short rest means they need more recharge time to use their encounter spells. But overall, I think it's the best-balanced spell casting class in the book. I just wish they'd kept more of that design philosophy when designing some of the other classes.

Falka
2014-08-28, 09:53 AM
Not at all, Warlocks were already available in 3.5. Their invocation system is quite similar to what they had back then.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-28, 09:56 AM
Not at all, Warlocks were already available in 3.5. Their invocation system is quite similar to what they had back then.

I disagree - the 3.5 warlock was incredibly different. Everything was at will. I think the OP is correct, and the warlock plays very similarly to the 4e classes. That might be why he feels so different than all the other magic-users.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-28, 09:58 AM

He's saying the design of the class is based on a 4e design, not a 3.5 design. Read his post.

MustacheFart
2014-08-28, 10:09 AM
Yep, and because they're based on a 4ed design, they make one of the best dipping classes.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-28, 11:05 AM
Honestly, the whole spell system is a great blend of 4e and 3.5 design. Cantrips act like At-wills, while spells act like Dailies with a healthy dose of Vancian magic spliced in. The result is much more customizable than 4e, and much more flexible than either system. And plenty of non-casters have abilities that are essentially Daily or Encounter powers. Heck, some abilities, like the Barbarian's Rage, start out as almost Daily and end up as essentially Encounter powers. The Warlock is simply the most reminiscent of 4e design philosophy.

It's a fun system, and while I might call it 3.75 with my friends, you really can see the influence 4e has had on the system.

HorridElemental
2014-08-29, 10:47 AM
At lower levels the warlock can be one tough cookie. Actually mid to high levels too...

Human (variant) moderately armored (feat) TomeLock with fiend patron is a solid all around death machine.

Shillelagh, E Blast, (+1 warlock Cantrip/+2 any cantrips that you can take... Make sure to get vicious mockery and have a rap battle with a bard), Medium Armor prof, Shield prof (all together AC 18 easily), and invocations/spells? Lockzilla is scary up in here.

Pick up Resilent or War caster eventually or pump Charisma...

Heck I would use my invocations of disguise self, fiend sight, and take the feat (actor) and become one hella awesome infiltrator.

Druids are still more broken with at-will Wildshape but Warlocks have the best all around class design... It puts most other classes to shame and I hope people are more apt to upgrade those classes than Nerf the warlock.

Random Note: A few friends that hate 4e (never played it) love the warlock to death. I still haven't explained to them that the warlock is pretty much a 4e class in a 3.5 skin.

Falka
2014-08-29, 11:32 AM
He's saying the design of the class is based on a 4e design, not a 3.5 design. Read his post.

I did. I'm allowed to have a different opinion, though.

I disagree - the 3.5 warlock was incredibly different. Everything was at will. I think the OP is correct, and the warlock plays very similarly to the 4e classes. That might be why he feels so different than all the other magic-users.

3.5 Warlock's main DPR tool was Eldritch Blast (same as 5e's Warlock). Invocations were his passive buffs and also gave some actives. The main difference, however, is that the 5e Warlock has gained some utility power through spell at the cost of reducing Eldritch Blast's potency (it scaled like a Sneak Attack, adding d6 every two levels past 1).