PDA

View Full Version : Deity of 5th ed selection

MustacheFart
2014-08-28, 10:25 AM
So, I'm struggling to select a deity in an upcoming campaign. The DM would prefer that I choose one from the Forgotten Realms/Faerun deities. I would prefer to do what my DM prefers.

My character is basically an Aztec-esque/Incan-esque Half Orc Barb/Monk. He's lawful neutral and has ideals of self-improvement, self-preservation(to an extent), trial by combat, glory through combat, and purification through combat. Basically he enjoys combat. He strives to improve his body to attain one of purity (as in he controls what he puts in or does-to his body). His honor dictates that he will only help those capable of helping themselves and will only step into a fight if he deems the side he's for to be outnumbered(out of balance). He's not really evil but more self-centered and lives by his honor code.

Anyone have any ideas? If it helps I envision him being influenced greatly by nature (animals, elements, etc). He wears a bear skin and will be going Bear Totem at level 3.

Thanks in advance.

Yorrin
2014-08-28, 11:08 AM
In terms of personality he sounds like he might go well under Tempus. But the whole animal thing makes me think that Malar might be an interesting choice.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-28, 11:25 AM
He sounds perfect for Kord, but that's Greyhawk.

There's Malar, god of the hunt. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Malar#Dogma) He's a minor deity, but he cares about nature and the thrill of the hunt. He's also the god of evil lycanthropes.

Or Tempus, god of war. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tempus#Dogma) He is a Neutral major deity who focuses exclusively on honorable warfare and combat.

DireSickFish
2014-08-28, 12:40 PM
Lathander is less about combat but encourages his followers to self improve and compete among themselves.

Gargos is basically Tempus if Tempus really liked blood and suffering instead of honor. He is all about the thrill of combat and fighting for fightings sake. The bloodreaver.

Tempus and Malar are both good choices as people have already said.

Uthgar is your classic barbarian diety. He actually has a bear totem as a possibility.

MustacheFart
2014-08-28, 01:51 PM
Uthgar is your classic barbarian diety. He actually has a bear totem as a possibility.

Yeah, my character definitely has honor so Gorgos is out.

However, I looked up Tempest after the first two posts and came upon Uthgar. He's actually perfect since his symbol is a totem animal and he's underneath Tempest. So, I could worship them both and have all my bases covered. Since one serves the other I don't see any issue with serving both. Basically, serving Tempest through serving Uthgar. What's also nice is Uthgar seems pretty loose so I don't see why you couldn't belong to a tribe not listed. Perhaps one less recognized. All it would mean would be you wouldn't be able to have clerics of that tribe/totem, right?