PDA

View Full Version : Player Help help me with a warlock

Chelios
2014-08-28, 11:33 AM
Ravenloft, level 3.
A lot of player.
1 monk, 1 paladin, 1 sorcerer, 1 bard, 1 rogue, me and 2 others guys who doesn't know what to do.

So i'm thinking about the great old one and tome pact. Why? Cthulhu and and an horror storyline fit very well.
My BG is sage and race half-elf.
I need some suggestions about cantrips, spells, stats and some flavour.

JungleChicken
2014-08-28, 11:42 AM
I'm currently playing a Tiefling warlock going with the great old ones (Lovecraftian horror as well)

I've had a thread talking about pacts previously on this board.

For a Tomelock It has been said that Shillelagh is great to have if you ever get caught in melee. My idea was to have a staff with a tentacled horror carved as a head piece and the flavor was if I used shillelagh when I swung the staff the tentacles from the head piece would be what whips out and attacks people, since the spell description mentions such warping effects of the wooden object that you cast it upon.

I to have the sage BG and I am basically playing, for lack of a better word, a cultist. I will share my secrets with people that I trust and try to spread the word of the great old ones, I will try to protect and give sanctuary to other followers as well.

Eldritch Blast is your bread and butter, any illusion cantrips you can steal because of your tome are a good thing.

Yorrin
2014-08-28, 11:50 AM
So you studied too deep and found Chthulu, huh? Well, for cantrips you'll probably want to start with Eldritch Blast, since it's arguably the best offensive cantrip in the game. Past that? Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Dancing Lights, and Thorn Whip (reflavored to tentacle) all feel kinda far-realms-ish to me. As a Tome-Lock you'll want to focus on Cha with a decent Dex and Con.

Surrealistik
2014-08-28, 12:04 PM
Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Eldritch Blast are all must have cantrips.

As patrons go, definitely prefer the Fiend. Great pact exclusive spells; possibly the best. The THPs it gives really add up, and having +1d10 to a save of your choice every short rest can be a literal life saver. Variable resistance speaks for itself. The only thing I dislike about this pact is the capstone Hurl Through Hell, which is definitely underwhelming compared to its Fey and Old One counterparts. I guess it's okay when you're going nova on someone, as it's 10d10 autodamage, without any save or recourse; it's taken, period.

Pact of the Chain is awesome for the Imp it gives you. Imps are incredible; a tiny, invisible, flying, polymorphed scout drone with 120' darkvision that ignores magical darkness and is immune to poison and fire? Yes please.

I will grant that the Book of Shadows is some tough competition though if you manage to find lots of good rituals, and is probably better in the long run.

Hex, Protection From Evil, Darkness (use with Devil Sight invocation), Invisibility, Suggestion, Fear, Mirror Image are all excellent 'public domain' Warlock spells you get early. I also like Misty Step for emergency escapes, and for reaching areas that are otherwise inaccessible because they're too high, or on the other side of some impassable obstacle. You can also use Misty Step in conjunction with your familiar, having it spot an area for you to teleport to.

Darkness + Devil Sight invocation is extremely powerful.

Chelios
2014-08-28, 02:41 PM
So you studied too deep and found Chthulu, huh?
Of course, ty all for the advices.