PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Ancient Ones .. more info please

Kerilstrasz
2014-08-28, 01:17 PM
I was reading the "ancient one" pact choice of warlock.
It says some examples..
[...]Entities o f this type include Ghaunadar, called That
Which Lurks; Tharizdun, the Chained God; Dendar, the
Night Serpent; Zargon, the Returner; Great Cthulhu;
and other unfathomable beings. [...]

Where can i find some more info about them or others?
any table that have alignments or any useful info about them?

i suppose as "ancient ones" the supposed to be vague concepts but i d like to have a bit more knowledge about them so i can enhance my RP accordingly..

Thank you for your time :smallwink:

Yorrin
2014-08-28, 01:31 PM
From that list I recognize Tharizdun, Zargon, and Cthulhu. Tharizdun is an ancient evil from Greyhawk that was sealed at the non-existant bottom of the Endless Abyss lest he destroy all reality. Doomsday cultists worship him and secretly seek to unchain him. Zargon is an ancient evil that was once worshiped as a god, but actually is a proto-demonic being that is unkillable and seeks dominance of the material plane. Only madmen follow him. Cthulhu, of course, is the priest of ancient unspeakable beings from beyond the stars. He is sealed away deep beneath the ocean in eternal slumber, but if awoken would bring about mass hysteria, total destruction, and possibly call his old buddies back to earth. Only doomsday cultists who are ALSO madmen seek to awaken him.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-28, 01:45 PM
They're essentially all threats to reality itself that have been sealed away to contain their power. They are utterly incomprehensible to the human mind, and interacting with them could easily lead to madness.

To get an idea of what they are, read The Call of Cthulhu or The Dunwich Horror. Both are short stories and a lot of fun to read.

KillianHawkeye
2014-08-28, 01:51 PM
Ghaunadar is a Forgotten Realms deity I think. He's associated with the drow pantheon, so he hangs out down in the underdark, but he's basically the God of slimes and oozes. I don't know about Dendar, but with a name like "The Night Serpent" he's probably bad news.

You can probably find a lot more information on all of these just by putting them into Google.

Scirocco
2014-08-28, 01:51 PM
There are also little blurbs on at least Tharizdun in Lords of Madness and Book of Vile Darkness.

Fwiffo86
2014-08-28, 02:04 PM
See also the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft and those that expanded upon his works.

randomodo
2014-08-28, 02:27 PM
The backstory for Dendar the Night Serpent is that it was brought into being when the first nightmare was dreamed. She feeds on nightmares, especially those of powerful beings. if I recall correctly, she's said to be responsible for people not being traumatized by their nightmares, as those she nightmares she eats are forgotten by the dreamer...thus she could be the poster child for being alien but not necessarily intrinsically evil (unlike a lot of warlock patrons)

Dendar might be fun for a tomelock with emphasis on illusion ("bringing forth images of forgotten dreams") or mind control spells.

Inevitability
2014-08-28, 03:34 PM
4e had an article that was about this. 'Wish Upon a Star' I believe it was called. It gave a few interesting Elder Evils (and a few Elder Neutrals) most associated with celestial bodies.

thereaper
2014-08-30, 08:43 AM
Or you could always go with vestiges.

If I ever play 5e, I want to be a Warlock that binds Orthos.

At 1st level. :smallwink:

Kerilstrasz
2014-08-30, 12:04 PM
Since phb "let it open" for you to choose whatever "ancient" you want, and doesn't makes you pick an evil one,
i think i ll go for "Norgannon"
he is a Titan from world of Warcraft cosmology.. one of the Makers who shaped the know ( & unknown ) world :smallwink: