PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rules for harvesting poison from creatures?

bjoern
2014-08-28, 04:39 PM
As far as how much you would be able to get from a slain monster. I imagine based on size of creature and what it does you could find something comparable on the poison table to get a close idea for price.

atemu1234
2014-08-28, 06:59 PM
I seem to remember it being mentioned in the DMG.

Flickerdart
2014-08-28, 07:00 PM
There are a bunch of rules about milking living creatures for poison.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-28, 07:25 PM
Per Drow of the Underdark, page 46, under Handle Animal:

Bestow Venom (DC 15): By succeeding on a DC 15 Handle Animal check to handle a vermin that has a poison special attack, you can compel the vermin to give up some of its venom. The creature deposits its poison into a container you indicate, providing a single dose. A Handle Animal check to extract venom takes 1 minute. You can then attempt a DC 15 craft (poisonmaking) check to refine this venom into a poison you can use.

bjoern
2014-08-28, 07:42 PM

Thank you.

Does it say how many doses that makes or how often you can do that?

atemu1234
2014-08-28, 08:00 PM

I now want to use Trainer to get a Wyvern and make a living by milking its tail.

Edit: After hitting it with permanent brain damage.

Edit: Damn.

Anlashok
2014-08-28, 08:48 PM

That's specifically calling out Vermin. Is there anything more generic?

Lightlawbliss
2014-08-28, 11:12 PM
That's specifically calling out Vermin. Is there anything more generic?

I'm not seeing any in the poison handook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.msg162787#msg162787)

Telonius
2014-08-29, 08:01 AM
I came up with a homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?89314-3-5-Poison-Feats-and-PrC) for it about a thousand years ago. (Or maybe six. Anything before 2009 is kind of a blur for me).

bjoern
2014-08-29, 08:13 AM
I came up with a homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?89314-3-5-Poison-Feats-and-PrC) for it about a thousand years ago. (Or maybe six. Anything before 2009 is kind of a blur for me).

That is good Info you've got there.

Let me clear up my question a little.
I'm trying to figure out how much poison a defeated creature has left to harvest. No matter your survival skill, the creature still has the same amount of poison inside of it, even if your unable to get all of it out.

Telonius
2014-08-29, 08:38 AM
That kind of depends on the nature of the poison, and whether you're talking "how much volume" or "how many doses." If it's a creature that's really large, but injects a weak poison, it's probably going to be a large volume of poisonous stuff. But since the poison's weak, you would need a large volume to get a dose that's dangerous to a person. If it's a small creature with a really deadly poison (poison tree frog, black widow spider, something like that) it's not going to be a large volume of poison stuff, but you don't need a large volume to get a dangerous dose.

bjoern
2014-08-29, 08:43 AM
That kind of depends on the nature of the poison, and whether you're talking "how much volume" or "how many doses." If it's a creature that's really large, but injects a weak poison, it's probably going to be a large volume of poisonous stuff. But since the poison's weak, you would need a large volume to get a dose that's dangerous to a person. If it's a small creature with a really deadly poison (poison tree frog, black widow spider, something like that) it's not going to be a large volume of poison stuff, but you don't need a large volume to get a dangerous dose.

Looking for doses.

Let's use a large monstrous scorpion for an example with a 1d4 con poison with a 1d4 con secondary and a fort DC of 14.

I doubt there are any rules on this.
Maybe just go with something simple like available doses = HD ?

Ettina
2014-08-29, 10:11 AM
Looking for doses.

Let's use a large monstrous scorpion for an example with a 1d4 con poison with a 1d4 con secondary and a fort DC of 14.

I doubt there are any rules on this.
Maybe just go with something simple like available doses = HD ?

I don't like that. HD is strongly correlated with size, and if anything, better poison tends to mean smaller size in real life. (Don't need good poison if you're big enough to fight your natural enemies head-on.)

Maybe base it off of the DC save for the poison? Maybe have it that you can extract a standard number to have the normal poison, or get more doses with a lower DC save by diluting it or using small doses.

Lightlawbliss
2014-08-29, 10:16 AM
...Maybe just go with something simple like available doses = HD ?

Maby the max doses they can extract is/are worth some portion of standard loot at that monster's level. (This is how I tend to handle is, it is loot after all)

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-29, 10:20 AM
I don't like that. HD is strongly correlated with size, and if anything, better poison tends to mean smaller size in real life. (Don't need good poison if you're big enough to fight your natural enemies head-on.)

Maybe base it off of the DC save for the poison? Maybe have it that you can extract a standard number to have the normal poison, or get more doses with a lower DC save by diluting it or using small doses.

The same is largely not true for D&D though - as the save is typically based on HD and Con, it tends to go up as the creature grows in size. Colossal monstrous spider venom is MUCH more potent than tiny monstrous spider venom (DC 28/2d8 Str versus DC 10/1d2 Str).

bjoern
2014-08-29, 10:36 AM
If I were to chop the tail (or whatever held the venom) off a large monstrous scorpion and try to sell it to someone who could use the poison (I don't want it) I want to be able to say:

"Here, this gland contains X doses of poison"

Whether or not that guy is proficient enough to get every drop out is not my concern.

Well say that a God with an extract poison skill of a billion squeezes the gland, surely he doesn't get a whole swimming pool of poison, there's only so much in there.....