PDA

View Full Version : Warlock (Clawlock) build

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 04:57 PM
I have been searching for warlock builds and found the Clawlock. A lesser version of the King of Smack. There are not that many builds out there for a Clawlock.

warlock 5/Shou Disciple 5/Totemist 2/Hellfire 3/warlock 3/'something with full BAB for 16 overall' 2

That should put your normal blast at 11th level equivalent:
Eldritch blast: 6d6
plus Hellfire: 6d6
plus unarmed: 2d6
plus greater chasuble: 2d6
(With Strongheart Vest)
*Edit with Girallon Arms instead*

Claws should do 16d6.

Is there any way to make this better? The character that I have in mind their alignment has to be CG. Because of how the warlock is I would like to be the parties crafter. So I wouldn't mind taking a 2 level dip into chameleon for the feat rotation. I never really played a warlock before besides Neverwinter Nights 2. Thank you very much to anyone who posts.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?221944-Warforged-quot-Clawlock-!-quot original build by Campbellk8105

EDIT: The original build was a warforge. I plan to be human.

Troacctid
2014-08-28, 08:06 PM
If you want to be a crafter, you probably want 12 levels of Warlock for Imbue Item.

Snowbluff
2014-08-28, 08:25 PM
Eldritch Claws is NOT your Eldritch Blast, so Hellfire Blast can't activate. :l

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 09:30 PM
Hellfire blast says "Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hell fire blast". Eldritch Claws you use your eldritch blast to make claws. You forge the claws then you imbue them with hellfire to add more damage.

Race: Azurins (special human basically)

warlock 6/Shou Disciple 5/Totemist 2/Hellfire 3/warlock 4/

1. dodge

3. Improved Unarmed Strike, Eldritch Claws (saved the feat from first level)

6. weapon focus (unarmed strike)

9. Improved Natural Strike or Shape Soulmeld

12. Multiattack

15. Superior Unarmed Strike or Beast Strike

18. Improve Multiattack

Girallon Arms Chakra Bind (Totem) once I hit Totemist 2.BAB 14. +14/+14/+14/+14/+14/+14/+14/+14 I think. I'm not sure the damage, mainly cause I am not sure how improved natural strike would figure into it. I might switch Improved Natural Strike with Shape Soulmeld. The party I will be with won't be very optimized so it wouldn't be bad to switch it out. Without Improved Natural Strike it would be 14d6+str on main hands offhands would be 14d6+1/2 str. With either Superior Unarmed Strike or Beast Strike it would be 16d6. If all attacks hit it would be 128d6. Average damage would be 420 not counting str bonuses or Improved Natural Strike. Anyone see anything wrong with all this? I feel as tho I got something wrong. oh you can Eldritch Claw all four arms too as Eldritch Claw is a free action technically two free actions but there is no limit to free actions. This may be debated if one could Eldritch Claw all four arms.

EDIT: I have Foregone being a crafter.

Malroth
2014-08-28, 09:34 PM
Eldritch claws does not say it uses your blast ability just that you gain claw damage equal to your Eldritch blast damage, It is not a hellfire blast nor an actual use of the eldritch blast power.

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 09:37 PM
Eldritch Claw " As a free action, you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws extending almost an entire foot from your hands."

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Eldritch_Claws

MilesTiden
2014-08-28, 10:42 PM
From later in the feat:

On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage

And the Hellfire blast ability:

Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hell fire blast

You are not using an eldritch blast ability. You are using eldritch claw, which happens to do the amount of damage of your eldritch blast. 'Eldritch blast damage' is a different concept from 'eldritch blast'. The first line which you quoted has no mechanical details or relevance, it's just a fluff and descriptive thing.

Troacctid
2014-08-28, 11:01 PM
"While your eldritch claws exist you may make up to two claw attacks as natural weapons." If you have more than two claw attacks, you can only use two of them.

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 11:07 PM
It would be 2 pairs of claws. And you are using your eldritch blast. Its like using eldritch spear. Why they made eldritch claws into a feat I don't know but it follows the same path as eldritch spear.

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 11:12 PM
Also the second part is explaining the mechanics of the feat.

Troacctid
2014-08-28, 11:14 PM
Well if your DM rules it that way, sure, but I don't think RAW is on your side here. It pretty clearly says two. If you could activate it multiple times to get more than two, I can't see how you'd read that as requiring extra arms (unless, again, DM fiat ruled it that way).

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 11:19 PM
Well to have more claws one needs to have more hands. Can't have claws without appendages to attach said claws to.

MilesTiden
2014-08-29, 12:46 AM
Not touching on the whole arms debacle, you still can't apply your hellfire blast damage to your eldritch claws. Just saying you can doesn't discount that RAW, it doesn't work. Unless you are using the Eldritch Blast ability, from the warlock class, as a distinct standard action, with whatever blast shapes or essences or whatever applied, you are not using a hellfire blast. A hellfire blast explicitly requires you to use the very specific, Eldritch Blast ability. While it would make sense, and could easily be ruled by a DM to work, by RAW it does not work. I mean, I wish it worked, but it doesn't. :smalltongue:

keeper2161
2014-08-29, 02:17 PM
From what I read from the hell fire text,

"Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hell fire blast. A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level. If your blast hits multiple targets (for example, the eldritch chain or eldritch cone blast shape invocations), each target takes the extra damage. This damage is not fire damage. Hellfire burns hotter than any normal fire, as described in the sidebar on page 119.

Each time you use this ability, you take 1 point of Constitution damage. Because the diabolical forces behind the power of hellfire demand part of your essence in exchange for this granted power, if you do not have a Constitution score or are somehow immune to Constitution damage, you cannot use this ability."

It says use not cast. Also by RAW you can't use any shapes with hellfire blast as all the shapes specifically say eldritch blast.

Eldritch Cone
Greater; 5th; Blast Shape
This blast shape invocation allows
you to invoke your eldritch blast as a
30-foot cone. The eldritch cone deals
the normal eldritch blast damage to all
targets within the area. This is not a ray
attack, so it requires no ranged touch
attack. Any creature in the area of the
cone can attempt a Refl ex save for half
damage.

Also hellfire blast says specifically that it changes your eldritch blast in a hellfire blast and while it gives exemples by RAW you can't use any of them with hellfire blast. So by RAW the only use for hellfire blast is as a boss killer. So if you allow hellfire blast to be shaped by eldritch cone then you can do the same with eldritch claw.

EDIT: I am not trying to have an attitude I apologize if I sound like. This is just really fun for me I love debating D&D.

EDIT: Also where does standard action fit it this. I am confused on it's relevance