PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Magic Weapon Suggestions

herrhauptmann
2014-08-28, 07:09 PM
I'm making an alternate for a game I'm in, a LE melee with a fear focus. (Yes, I've read the Art of War Handbook on fear, it's good, but out of date.)

The character is pretty much done, but I'm thinking of changing my weapon enchantments. We do have a couple of houserules, like getting rid of the obligatory +1 for magic weapons/armor before you add other enchantments.

Banes Blessing
Dragoncraft (red dragon claw) longsword.
Intelligent: bless 3/day.
Int: 10. Wis 12. Cha 12
Keen
Nervewrack: On crit enemy gets: -2 to AC/attacks/damage/reflex. 1/2 movement. Casting requires concentration DC15 for 1d4 rounds
Subjugating: If struck, make DC20 Will save or be shaken 5 rounds. If shaken, become frightened. This is the enchantment I'm thinking of dropping. It's a level 12 game, and that's a really low will save to hit my enemies with; especially since we haven't seen a lot of mooks yet.

The sword prefers the name Soulcrusher, though I refer to it in conversation as Banes Blessing or Dark Blessing.
Soulcrusher is as proud as the dragon from which it was made. While not eager for blood as some evil swords are; Soulcrusher is not one to suffer fools, and will urge his wielder to kill those relentless in their stupidity.

Smoking Dragoncraft (red dragon teeth) armor spikes.
Breastplate of terror with Soulfire.
Bracers of quickstrike.
Mask of mastery
Helm of wounding sight.
Screaming crossbow bolts. Without that +2, they're quite cheap. 13350 for 50. Minus 8000 for the +2. Divide by 50 for individual price.
Some magic boots made by combining a few different pairs.

I've got a free +2 and 5000 gold that can be used. (29000 total)
Pretty much any non-homebrew/3rd party source seems to be allowed. I'm open to any suggestion.

-Thank you.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-29, 06:19 PM
Page 2 bump.

Geriont
2014-08-29, 07:43 PM
Sooo, the +2 is free, the 5000 Gold are bonus? Ok.

I guess it depends on the type of game being run. I personally love the "bane" enchantment, but I havent played long enough to know if its viable in later levels, else I would recommend "bane: Outsider (Good)", because evil adventurers will at some point probably run into some "agents of good" or other heavenly crap to stop them, and picking this leaves one +1 Bonus up for something else.
The bigger brother of that is "Unholy", which gives boni against everyone with good alignment. For taking down paladins and other agents of good.

And here is the problem: None of the two would fit with that swords character. It apparently isnt evil, but it wants fools dead and is made from a dragon... Lets me think about "mighty cleaving" and "flaming". But then again, you said you havent encountered many mooks, so both might not be the most useful (right now anyway, maybe the DM decides to throw an army of good clerics your way, cleave away!)

And for the 5000 Gold... Errr, i mean, you can afford 2 rings of protection (or switch one of them out for featherfalling), or fill your inventory with Potions. Or a Wand of "bears endurance" perhaps?

This was all I could find in the DMG, hope it helps somewhat....

bjoern
2014-08-29, 07:47 PM
He's a nicely put together list of stuff that would be useful to any character.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

herrhauptmann
2014-08-30, 02:06 PM
Shoulda put this at start. Build: Paladin of Terror3/Zhentarim thug9 (Fighter ACFs) //Warlock8/hellfire3/binder1

Sooo, the +2 is free, the 5000 Gold are bonus? Ok.
Sorta.
I could do a +1 enchantment and 19k, or just 29k worth of other stuff too. The houserule of not requiring a +1 throws off pricing as this currently costs as much as a +4 weapon, rather than a +5.

I guess it depends on the type of game being run. I personally love the "bane" enchantment, but I havent played long enough to know if its viable in later levels, else I would recommend "bane: Outsider (Good)", because evil adventurers will at some point probably run into some "agents of good" or other heavenly crap to stop them, and picking this leaves one +1 Bonus up for something else.
The bigger brother of that is "Unholy", which gives boni against everyone with good alignment. For taking down paladins and other agents of good.
It's a gestalt gish game, where all non-divine casting is illegal and punishable by death. Faiths that would ordinarily be at war (Hextor/Heironious or Lathander/Cyric) cooperate to hunt magic users. The exception is magic deities like Mystra/Azuth. Those faiths still exist, but are outlawed. And with the low number of worshippers, those gods are barely more than demigods.
So we'll be fighting both Good and Evil NPCs.

And here is the problem: None of the two would fit with that swords character. It apparently isnt evil, but it wants fools dead and is made from a dragon... Lets me think about "mighty cleaving" and "flaming". But then again, you said you havent encountered many mooks, so both might not be the most useful (right now anyway, maybe the DM decides to throw an army of good clerics your way, cleave away!)

And for the 5000 Gold... Errr, i mean, you can afford 2 rings of protection (or switch one of them out for featherfalling), or fill your inventory with Potions. Or a Wand of "bears endurance" perhaps?

This was all I could find in the DMG, hope it helps somewhat....
Sword is actually evil. I just went for an evil that wasn't over the top. You know, some authors show you that someone is evil because he happily slaughters innocents and licks the blood from his blade. While evil items end up like the talking sword from the Neverwinter Nights expansion.
I do have cleave, and the basics of an ubercharger build, so that might keep Mighty Cleaving on the table.

He's a nicely put together list of stuff that would be useful to any character.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items
Yup, bookmarked. There's also Bunkos Bargain Basement which I consulted more for this char. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0

Fax Celestis
2014-08-30, 03:23 PM
With a paladin build you probably have high CHA. Sudden Stunning might be good for you. Ghost Touch is always useful. I'm personally a fan of Shattermantle, but I generally play debuffer types.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-30, 04:39 PM
Shattermantle, thats the one that reduces SR by 2 per hit right?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-30, 05:01 PM
Yeah, that's it.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-30, 08:04 PM
Yeah, that's it.

Added to the list, and Sudden Stunning is a great one I forgot about. Thank you.