PDA

View Full Version : Totemist Explaination

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 07:28 PM
I have questions on how the class Totemist from the Magic of Incarnum works.

1. Is the Totem Chakra simply a Chakra slot?
2. So could I have Girallon Arms Chakra Bind (Totem) and Girallon Chakra Bind (Arms)?
3. (if the above is true)So these two things are different and to do both I would need two Chakra Bind points?
4. (if the above is true) How would I increase my Chakra Bind points without increaseing level? (I plan to have a 2 level dip and want the Girallon Arms Totem and Arms.
5. Soulmelds are like spells per/day except that Soulmelds are semi-permanent things that I can if I want to change each day.
6. Having the feat Shape Soulmeld would take up a Chakra Bind point?

Psyren
2014-08-28, 07:36 PM
1) It is a special chakra that (unlike the others) does not correspond to a space on the body.

2) Yes, but you can only have them both simultaneously at Totemist 11 (when they get the class feature that allows you to do that.) Until then, the general rule that each soulmeld can only be bound to one chakra at a time is in effect.

3) Yes, you would need two binds available (which should be no problem at level 11, as stated above.) You would gain the effects of both binds, i.e. Binding it to both locations gives you both effects - the claws from Totem, and the special rend attack from Arms.

4) With only a 2-level dip you cannot bind the same meld to Totem and Arms. You need 11 levels of Totemist for that.

5) They're more like warlock invocations that you can swap out each day. Once you have shaped one there are no limits on its use unless stated otherwise.

6) Shape Soulmeld will not give you a chakra bind. Open Chakra might (this is one of the more hotly debated areas of MoI) but Shape Soulmeld will not.

Crake
2014-08-28, 07:40 PM
If I recall correctly, a soulmeld can only be bound to a single chakra at a time

keeper2161
2014-08-28, 07:41 PM
Thank you. The whole Magic of Incarnum seems confusing.

Red Fel
2014-08-28, 09:49 PM
Thank you. The whole Magic of Incarnum seems confusing.

It suffers from bad editing, but the basic bits are these: Your meldshaper level is calculated separately for any given meldshaper class. So a Totemist 3/ Incarnate 2 has an ML 3 for Totemist soulmelds, ML 2 for Incarnate. Having one level in a meldshaper class gets you access to all soulmelds for that class. However, the number of soulmelds you can have shaped or bound at once is dependent upon your class levels. For example, a Totemist 4 can have 4 soulmelds shaped, and one bound to a chakra point. Your pool of essentia to invest is also based primarily upon your class level. For example, a Totemist 4 has a pool of essentia points. These can be increased via feats and other bonuses. The maximum essentia you can invest in anything is based upon your character level. This can be increased via feats and other bonuses. Note that the maximum you can invest is capped by your Constitution modifier - so, for example, although a level 18 character has an essentia capacity of 4, if he only has Con 12, he can only invest 2 into anything. You can shape a soulmeld to any part of the body, but it has to be shaped on a specific part. For example, the Threefold Mask of the Chimera can be shaped on either the Crown or Soul chakra, but not both at once. You can change your shaped soulmelds every day, just like a spellcaster selects his spells for the day. Shaping a soulmeld does not require binding it, and does not block that slot for magic items; however, as mentioned above, your soulmelds shaped are limited based upon what your class offers. You cannot shape two soulmelds to the same slot. You can bind soulmelds to the slot to which they are shaped, or to a different slot. For example, the Girallon Arms soulmeld is shaped to the arms, but can be bound to the totem. Binding a soulmeld blocks the slot, rendering magic items ineffective (unless you have a feat or incarnum focus item that says otherwise). Your number of binds is limited by class level, as above. You cannot bind two soulmelds to the same slot.Individual exceptions to these rules are cited in feat and item descriptions, but those pretty much cover the basics.

Chronos
2014-08-28, 10:11 PM
Quoth Red Fel:

You can bind soulmelds to the slot to which they are shaped, or to a different slot. For example, the Girallon Arms soulmeld is shaped to the arms, but can be bound to the totem.
The totem chakra is the only one for this is true. Other than binding to the totem, a soulmeld can only be bound to the slot that it's shaped to.

Red Fel
2014-08-28, 10:13 PM
The totem chakra is the only one for this is true. Other than binding to the totem, a soulmeld can only be bound to the slot that it's shaped to.

Oi, that's true. See? The book's bad editing is contagious. :smallredface: