PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Drama Playing a serial killer character

Kafana
2014-08-29, 03:39 AM
Alright, so so far I've either roleplayed the chaotic good "let's get drunk and save the world" character, or the lawful neutral "get the job done" character. What I wanted to try is something more complex, something with a back story full of conflicts and drama. I want to play a serial killer, who specifically has it out for prostitutes. Long story short, after he found solid evidence that the love of his life was a giant whore, he started seeking out brothels around the country, always asking for the most experienced girls and killing them. This, accompanied by a high bluff and a hat of disguise, made it possible for him to do it rather easy.

Now, since I'll either be a spellthief or a beguiler, I'll be able to handle this type of character with success at least for a while. I plan for the character to do his killings once per village, and two or three times per town (depending on size). I also plan to do all of this during downtime, and since it'll be more of a macro, I shouldn't take too much time from the other characters (usually we have 60% playing time together, and each character gets 10% to himself), so that should fit in my 10% easily.

So, I shouldn't be a hindrance to the player's themselves, and since the group is mature enough, it shouldn't be a problem to them as a concept, even though it is a dark concept, and an evil character. That being said, the character will help out 100% with the current adventure line, and other than a very bad set of rolls during his "downtime" there shouldn't be a problem. Now, I realize the risk such a character poses to himself, and possibly the party (through bureaucracy) but I think it'll provide a challenge to play such a different character than my standard repertoire.

All of that being said, what do you guys think? Am I missing something here? Note that I realize that this character might not last for more than several sessions, and while I plan to include more than several murders in my backstory, we should be switching towns every five sessions, so there shouldn't be too much killing going on.

Curbstomp
2014-08-29, 03:55 AM
My main suggestion is that if you are going to do your concept, you should have your character be actively looking for his lost love. As in he knows she is an experienced whore and is looking for her to get his revenge for betraying him or just to find her and try to reclaim her love.

Either way it gives you a cool plot hook that your party might actually get to adventure with you on and explains your active seeking out of experienced whores in each new town or city as a character. Your subsequent murders might just be your character being angry that they are not her or you practicing for when your character finds her. Ideally the lost love/whore knows you are looking for her and is avoiding your character on purpose. That could lead into several sessions of interesting roleplaying especially if you find evidence of her recent presence in a place or find someone who saw her a year ago or whatever. Just my two cents.

Cazero
2014-08-29, 04:40 AM
My main suggestion is that if you are going to do your concept, you should have your character be actively looking for his lost love. As in he knows she is an experienced whore and is looking for her to get his revenge for betraying him or just to find her and try to reclaim her love.

Well, as you say, on a plot hooks standpoint this is a damn good idea.
But on a psychological standpoint, I would rather think that his lost love should have been his first victim. He now sees all whores as couple breakers, and only kills the most experienced of each town because he isn't a monster (in his own opinion) and wants to set an example for the other whores to pick a clue and change job. Chosing to kill the "most guilty" is a logical choice.

Kafana
2014-08-29, 04:52 AM
Well, as you say, on a plot hooks standpoint this is a damn good idea.
But on a psychological standpoint, I would rather think that his lost love should have been his first victim. He now sees all whores as couple breakers, and only kills the most experienced of each town because he isn't a monster (in his own opinion) and wants to set an example for the other whores to pick a clue and change job. Chosing to kill the "most guilty" is a logical choice.

Yeah, this is sort of what I had in mind.

Ettina
2014-08-29, 09:09 AM
You may want to research serial killers and what they're like.

Some comments, as a psych major:

most serial killers aren't crazy - they don't hear voices or have delusional beliefs
psychopathy is pretty much universal among serial killers, so your character will probably not care about the well-being of others - but he may fake it for his own purposes
think carefully about how he avoided getting caught long enough to become a serial killer - either he's very good at covering his tracks, or the police don't really care about prostitutes' deaths, or something like that. Moving will certainly help, but if the adventuring party stays in place too long, he could be in trouble

Sounds like a fascinating character idea. I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Red Fel
2014-08-29, 09:41 AM
You may want to research serial killers and what they're like.

Some comments, as a psych major:

most serial killers aren't crazy - they don't hear voices or have delusional beliefs
psychopathy is pretty much universal among serial killers, so your character will probably not care about the well-being of others - but he may fake it for his own purposes
think carefully about how he avoided getting caught long enough to become a serial killer - either he's very good at covering his tracks, or the police don't really care about prostitutes' deaths, or something like that. Moving will certainly help, but if the adventuring party stays in place too long, he could be in trouble

Sounds like a fascinating character idea. I'd love to hear how it turns out.

These are some pretty major points. I'd like to expand on them. It's not just revenge. Anger or vengeance may cause somebody to go on a killing spree, but eventually that energy will run out. If the trigger was his wife's betrayal, that's no longer the case. It has to have become something almost independent of the original stimulus. He has to find a personal satisfaction, or a challenge, or a visceral thrill in what he does. Lack of empathy. In order to become a serial killer, a person has to either lack the ability to see victims as people, or gain the ability to shut his empathy off. Generally, it's the former (psychopathy or sociopathy). For you to play this character convincingly, you have to remember that, regardless of what he says or how he acts, the people around him are not people; they're things. He does not, ultimately, regard them as inherently deserving of life. Psychopath or sociopath? This is a key distinction and will influence how you play the character. The psychopath is generally portrayed as a creature of impulse. He is aware of the rules, of society's expectations, but he doesn't enjoy them. For him, the delight is in the kill itself, the raw, visceral act. The sociopath, by contrast, is seen as the intellectual figure. His joy comes in the planning, the execution, the going without being caught (or, alternatively, gloating over the lack of evidence). Unlike the psychopath, who must fight his instinct to completely disregard the system, the sociopath isn't afraid to use society to his benefit, like an elaborate game. Both are non-empathetic; both recognize the existence of feelings in others, but simply don't share them. The key difference is how you play them - ice cold or burning hot. (This is a simplification, of course, but should be sufficient for most purposes. There's a lot more to these conditions than laid out herein.) The M.O. M.O. stands for modus operandi, and it's your calling card. Every serial killer has one. The psychopath will have one, because he completely gives into impulse when he kills, and his instincts won't change from murder to murder. The sociopath will have one, because he sees it as a challenge or artistic expression or great symbolic gesture. Have a signature. Maybe you use a particular type of knot, or make a particular incision, or only choose victims on streets that begin with the letter A, but have a signature. Be an animal. Deep down, there is something bestial. The serial killer will put on a mask, but he is ultimately a predator. When cornered or confronted, be prepared to lash out. The psychopath will do so more readily, but the sociopath will see it as part of the challenge, and attempt to keep his cool or manipulate his accuser. Even the sociopath, however, can be pushed to the breaking point (i.e. once he realizes he has no control or power over his circumstances), and when that happens, he can become an absolute savage. Be prepared to bring that out. He's not just a killer. The mental state that causes one to be a serial killer influences other aspects of his life. Perhaps he kills to create some sense of order in the universe; he might be an extremely orderly person otherwise. Perhaps he kills because of a damaged sense of morality, believing his victims to be horribly corrupt. Expect him to be an otherwise upstanding, apparently moral citizen. And so forth. Extend those personality traits which define him as a killer to define him as a person as well.
Be aware that a killer of prostitutes can be a trigger for a lot of people and a lot of things. I'd suggest discussing the concept with the other players, just in case it gets a bit too upsetting for anyone.

Also, be aware that, as a PC, you're going to be straight-up murdering a lot of people anyway. You can quite literally get away with murder. Adventuring is a profession where people pay and applaud you when you kill things. So don't be afraid to use that.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-08-29, 10:15 AM
Be aware that a killer of prostitutes can be a trigger for a lot of people and a lot of things. I'd suggest discussing the concept with the other players, just in case it gets a bit too upsetting for anyone.
Absolutely this. Plus, it's a rather unfortunate choice of target because in many contexts, they're already pretty victimized individuals. I know that Jack the Ripper happened, but it feels a bit like kicking someone when they're already down. You have your pick of "favored enemy", so to speak, so you can have your pick of victim profiles.

Just thinking out loud. Switching things up can mean a more interesting character overall. I mean, sure--the prostitute serial killer's been done. But what on earth might drive someone to be a serial killer of, say, merchants?

Kafana
2014-08-29, 10:27 AM
These are some pretty major points. I'd like to expand on them. It's not just revenge. Anger or vengeance may cause somebody to go on a killing spree, but eventually that energy will run out. If the trigger was his wife's betrayal, that's no longer the case. It has to have become something almost independent of the original stimulus. He has to find a personal satisfaction, or a challenge, or a visceral thrill in what he does. Lack of empathy. In order to become a serial killer, a person has to either lack the ability to see victims as people, or gain the ability to shut his empathy off. Generally, it's the former (psychopathy or sociopathy). For you to play this character convincingly, you have to remember that, regardless of what he says or how he acts, the people around him are not people; they're things. He does not, ultimately, regard them as inherently deserving of life. Psychopath or sociopath? This is a key distinction and will influence how you play the character. The psychopath is generally portrayed as a creature of impulse. He is aware of the rules, of society's expectations, but he doesn't enjoy them. For him, the delight is in the kill itself, the raw, visceral act. The sociopath, by contrast, is seen as the intellectual figure. His joy comes in the planning, the execution, the going without being caught (or, alternatively, gloating over the lack of evidence). Unlike the psychopath, who must fight his instinct to completely disregard the system, the sociopath isn't afraid to use society to his benefit, like an elaborate game. Both are non-empathetic; both recognize the existence of feelings in others, but simply don't share them. The key difference is how you play them - ice cold or burning hot. (This is a simplification, of course, but should be sufficient for most purposes. There's a lot more to these conditions than laid out herein.) The M.O. M.O. stands for modus operandi, and it's your calling card. Every serial killer has one. The psychopath will have one, because he completely gives into impulse when he kills, and his instincts won't change from murder to murder. The sociopath will have one, because he sees it as a challenge or artistic expression or great symbolic gesture. Have a signature. Maybe you use a particular type of knot, or make a particular incision, or only choose victims on streets that begin with the letter A, but have a signature. Be an animal. Deep down, there is something bestial. The serial killer will put on a mask, but he is ultimately a predator. When cornered or confronted, be prepared to lash out. The psychopath will do so more readily, but the sociopath will see it as part of the challenge, and attempt to keep his cool or manipulate his accuser. Even the sociopath, however, can be pushed to the breaking point (i.e. once he realizes he has no control or power over his circumstances), and when that happens, he can become an absolute savage. Be prepared to bring that out. He's not just a killer. The mental state that causes one to be a serial killer influences other aspects of his life. Perhaps he kills to create some sense of order in the universe; he might be an extremely orderly person otherwise. Perhaps he kills because of a damaged sense of morality, believing his victims to be horribly corrupt. Expect him to be an otherwise upstanding, apparently moral citizen. And so forth. Extend those personality traits which define him as a killer to define him as a person as well.

Also, be aware that, as a PC, you're going to be straight-up murdering a lot of people anyway. You can quite literally get away with murder. Adventuring is a profession where people pay and applaud you when you kill things. So don't be afraid to use that.

Wow, excellent advice. Thank you for the ideas!

Just thinking out loud. Switching things up can mean a more interesting character overall. I mean, sure--the prostitute serial killer's been done. But what on earth might drive someone to be a serial killer of, say, merchants?

I must admit this is an interesting idea. While I don't have an idea for a good and original type of victim, I'll definitelly think about it. Does anyone have ideas about an alternative victim type and an idea about how the character would come to despise such a group?

Red Fel
2014-08-29, 10:44 AM
I must admit this is an interesting idea. While I don't have an idea for a good and original type of victim, I'll definitelly think about it. Does anyone have ideas about an alternative victim type and an idea about how the character would come to despise such a group?

It can be anybody, really. People who profit off of the pain of others. People who spend their days sitting on nice cushions. People who eat meat. People who use foul language. People who wear white after Labor Day.

The trigger doesn't have to be traumatic, either (although it certainly helps). It can be conceptual. The idea of a person like that simply revolts you. Consider the line, "People like you just p*** me off!" Then apply it.

Here's an example with regard to merchants. What is a merchant? A miserable pile of gold pieces. A merchant is a person who distributes. He doesn't create. He's not a craftsman, who builds and creates with his hands and tools; not an artist, writer, sculptor or poet, who brings beauty into this world; he's not a laborer, soldier, or servant, who gives of his time and energy for others. He is a middle-man. He exists as an obstacle between individuals, for the sole purpose of siphoning from their exchanges. He is a parasite, an entity that lives off of the productivity of others. He is waste, the byproduct of an economic system too large to sustain itself normally. And people like that p*** me off.1

Just like that, you have a target and a motivation. Want to make it personal? A merchant foreclosed on your home, or was able to impress the woman you loved with his wealth and steal her away, or the entitled son of a merchant made your youth a living hell (right up until you murdered his father and burned down the family business, leaving them penniless and ruined). Whatever you like.

And it works for any demographic of people, as I've stated. Tall people2 (those who live in the clouds need to be reminded of the filth on the ground); people who walk barefoot3 (that is filthy! You are tracking your filth everywhere!); Elves4 (those who live too long forget that life has meaning only when you fear death); people who break promises5 (a man is only as good as his word; and you, sir, are worthless); whatever you like.

1 I have nothing against merchants. I worked in retail. This is all purely for illustrative purposes.
2 Again, nothing against tall people.
3 Again, nothing against... well, just not in restaurants, okay?
4 ****ing Elves, man.
5 You know what? Yeah, these guys cheese me off a bit.

S@tanicoaldo
2014-08-29, 10:50 AM
Find a specific type of target like Women, children, prostitutes, paladins, orcs, elves, sodomites, philosophers, religious leaders and so on.

Feo
2014-08-29, 11:02 AM

Since I am bored and in an evil mood how about a list?

Parents
-He was victimized by his parents-or a parent and now takes symbolic revenge

Children
-He was bullied as a child and now sees all children as bullies
-He sees children as innocent and pure and doesn`t want them to be corrupted by the world

Guards/Soldiers/Police
-He was [with or without reason] attacked by members of this group
-He was [with or without reason] forbidden from joining this group

The Homeless
-He thinks them impure and wants them purged

The Clergy
-He suffered abuse by a priest as a child
-He is a pious believer in a single (for bonus points good god) and thinks that priests of all other gods are heretics deserving of death

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-08-29, 11:17 AM
Red Fel's breakdown is fantastic. Just saying. Find a grievance, and run with it. If you're in the mood, it can even be ripe fodder for making a philosophical commentary on some aspect of society.

GoblinArchmage
2014-08-29, 10:36 PM
Just be sure your character shares his encyclopedic knowledge of his favorite bards to his victims before he kills them. If I learned anything from American Psycho, it's that serial killers are huge goons when it comes to music.

Slipperychicken
2014-08-29, 11:07 PM
I recommend talking to your fellow players and DM about this concept and whether it's appropriate for the game. Villainous PCs in the wrong game have the potential to ruin sessions, campaigns, and in extreme cases can break up entire friend-groups.

Mr Beer
2014-08-29, 11:15 PM
Other things about sociopaths:

- Muted emotional responses, they don't tend to get excited, although frightening anger at being thwarted is a possibility.

- Risk taking behaviour, partly because it takes a lot to get an adrenaline hit and partly because they don't care much about consequences.

- Zero empathy, any empathic responses are fake and are deliberately learned behaviours used in order to manipulate people.

A lot of this kind of stuff is not atypical for murderhobos anyway.

Esprit15
2014-08-30, 01:08 AM
Just doing a quick double check, since I always mix the two up, but isn't sociopathy the more emotional, anger based one, while psychopathy is the manipulative, calculating one? As (http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath) discussed (http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath) here (https://sites.google.com/site/psychologyofpsychopaths2a/what-are-psychopaths/differences-between-sociopaths-and-psychopaths).

Arbane
2014-08-30, 02:19 AM
I recommend talking to your fellow players and DM about this concept and whether it's appropriate for the game. Villainous PCs in the wrong game have the potential to ruin sessions, campaigns, and in extreme cases can break up entire friend-groups.

Listen to the slippery chicken, it is wise.

Ettina
2014-08-30, 08:56 AM
Just doing a quick double check, since I always mix the two up, but isn't sociopathy the more emotional, anger based one, while psychopathy is the manipulative, calculating one? As (http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath) discussed (http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath) here (https://sites.google.com/site/psychologyofpsychopaths2a/what-are-psychopaths/differences-between-sociopaths-and-psychopaths).

Sociopathy means whatever the speaker wants it to mean. It's used very inconsistently, and there is no official definition for it. Basically anytime someone wants to talk about two 'types' of psychopath-like people, they call one category psychopaths and the other sociopaths, no matter what they're making a distinction about.

As for emotional versus calculating, among chronic criminals, there are two types - one type does only emotion-motivated crimes but not calculated crimes, and the other type does both types of crimes. Psychopaths are the ones who do both. Their lack of empathy means they're more likely to use 'causing harm to others' as a solution to a problem, whether it be a practical problem or an emotion-based problem. In contrast, the chronic criminals who do mostly emotion-motivated crimes have empathy (and are therefore not psychopaths), but they tend to have poor emotion regulation and poor self-control, and often a moral belief system that argues certain crimes are worth it. (For example, non-psychopathic rapists justify rape through 'rape myths' that blame the victim for leading him on, and non-psychopathic child molesters often believe that children have adult-style sexuality and can consent to sex. A psychopath wouldn't bother with excuses like this because they don't care that they harmed someone.)

Slipperychicken
2014-08-30, 03:33 PM
Listen to the slippery chicken, it is wise.

I am seriously considering sigging this.