PDA

View Full Version : Not-So-Society-Scenarios Part 1 - In Service to Lore

Grimtina
2014-08-29, 11:40 AM
Absalom, Isle of Kortos, Inner Sea.

Absalom, the City at the Center of the World. Here the Pathfinder Society makes its home, and Pathfinders from all overthe world consider Absalom a second home, as many of their missions take place within the city’s walls. A settlement of over 300,000 souls, Absalom boasts many districts that are virtually cities unto themselves.

It is here where you were sent to be Pathfinders. Some power group or the other has decided to make you a pawn in their games. Well, so be it, eventually,you'll show them up! Or not, depending on your own intentions.

The man sitting opposite you in his office in the Pathfinder Lodge isn't at all convinced you have what it takes. He might even suspect someone somewhere has been bribed, or worse. A gruff, no-nonsense man, Ambrus Valsin has little tolerance for laziness and often gives young Pathfinders their first taste of what being a field agent entails as a way of keeping them from staying idle too long. The efficient and straightforward chamberlain greets you curtly and motions for you to sit before jumping straight into their assignment, his eery word saying 'you won't make it anyway so you may as well make fools of yourselves.'

“All right... Pathfinders... Listen up. I know you are new recruits eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there. I have a number of small assignments for you and your team, and it would be best if you could finish them before the day’s end.

Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders." He looks at you grinning. "Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs, and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions. We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agentswho want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet. That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies.

Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine. I’ve prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in the envelope you hold in your hands is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location.”

With that, he hands you a sheet of paper from a stack.

It says

Assignment #17:

☐ A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called
the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the
Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

☐ Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple
of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone
to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage
and verify the character of the recipient.

☐ Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise
Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to
delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a
verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an
official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in
this matter.

☐ Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned
from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and
retrieve the item in her possession.

He shows a toothy grin. "Any questions?" It sounds as if it would be better to have none.

Hazuki
2014-08-29, 12:09 PM
As Ambrus leans over to hand them the sheet of paper with their list of assignments, Doomy flicks her hand flippantly to Mage Hand knock over the mug of liquid that sits on his desk and spill it over his lap. As the liquid falls across the man, she snickers wildly to herself at the foolish surfacer whose trousers are now all wet. Drow - 1, Humans - 0.

"I have a question." The young Drow woman proclaims, looking the man in the eyes. "What contacts do we have, besides you? Where do we bring the charters and maps and stuff once we have them? And are all these people as smelly as you?" She asks, smirking proudly to herself for her wit.

Desril
2014-08-29, 01:34 PM
Cynthia

Not bothering to hide her smirk at the suddenly soaked below the waist Ambrus, Cynthia looks over the list, mentally berating herself for allowing this whole blackmail situation to happen in the first place while Lilith, her Eidolon, starts sizing up the other fledgling pathfinders in the room.

What's with these assignments? We're supposed to be Pathfinders, not errand-runners. You could get someone's familiar to handle most of these. Whatever...

Sighing at the situation, the Summoner brings up the obvious point, "None of these are complicated, we should probably all split up and take care of them individually. I think I'll handle the paracountess."

Grimtina
2014-08-29, 07:45 PM
Ambrus, outwardly appearing cool at the 'mishap' raises an eyebrow, not sure if to say something or not. You can see it in his face. He hasn't seen anyone do anything, so if he accuses someone and no one was at fault, someone somewhere will call him paranoid. But if someone has done something, he would have to do something about something, before something hit the fan...

With a shake of his head, he got himself out of the loop in his head - he felt out of every other loop already. "Well, you will unfortunately have to deal with me or..." A somewhat scared glance at a backdoor. "...Amanda. Trust me, you don't want to deal with Amanda." His voice slowly takes on the grim tone again while he tries to wipe coffee off himself.

"I heard that," a creaky voice can be heard from behind the door.

Hazuki
2014-08-29, 08:21 PM
Doomy

"You dress like my mother." Doomy comments as an aside to Cynthia, looking the woman up and down for a moment. "And I'm okay with that. And I am not okay with that." She turns away from the woman wearing only a few belts to look back at the wretched surfacer standing before her. Not even daring to clean himself up! Glad that he knows his place, she considers his words and then saunters over to the door that the voice came from. She sniffs the air.

"Amanda doesn't sound very Drow." She says, pushing the door open to get a look at whatever it is the man's afraid of. "I bet you don't even poison your drinks!"

Grimtina
2014-08-30, 03:38 PM
"I can, if you want me to, but it sure won't be affecting me. And while i may not have a habit to poison people, a few have vanished after entering my domain unbidden." With hands on hips, Amanda, a rotound dwarf looking ready to beat someone up with the large binder of files she is about to heave into a file cabinet, comments. Well, female dwarves may not have great beards - this one only have a slight shimmer of blonde hair - but she sure has, as the local saying went, hairs on her tongue. "Oh," she continues. "The drow. I heard of you, of course. Weren't you the one who tied this new elf gal up and let her sleep in the horsetrough?"

Hazuki
2014-08-30, 03:55 PM
Upon hearing the comment from the Dwarf, Doomy throws her head back in raucous laughter, ha-ha-ha'ing for a good ten seconds or so before it starts to die down, and she starts snickering with occasional gasps for breath mixed amongst the slightly outbursts of further outright laughter. She stands properly after a few more moments and then meets the Dwarf's eyes. "...no." She lies.

Grimtina
2014-08-30, 04:08 PM
"No?" Amanda nods thoughtfully, as if believing it. "There must be more drow running around then. Of course, most people know drow do not even exist, so you probably just have a bad case of blackscratch fever. Now, out with you, do your jobs - or don't - but let me do my work in peace." As if to underscore it, she draws a wand from her belt - or would have. Someone has switched it with a laddle, and it looks rather weird to see a dwarf with a file binder in the middle of a chaotic office with a laddle.

Desril
2014-08-30, 04:57 PM
Cynthia

Blushing slightly, as she always does whenever someone draws attention to her less than modest outfit, Cynthia decides to interpret the drow's words as a compliment and nods her head, "Thanks. Your mom has some...interesting tastes."

Overhearing the conversation between Doomy and Amanda, Lilith the Eidolon smirks at the new information, "This new elf girl doesn't happen to still be tied up, does she? And actually...don't your people have a poison that puts others to sleep, drow?"

Cynthia, for her part, just shakes her head and calls out after the drow, "Please don't give her any ideas, she's impossible to please as is. Let's just go and get these boring little errands over with so we can do something interesting."

Hazuki
2014-08-30, 05:13 PM
Doomy

"How dare you!" Doomy calls out to the Dwarf even as she draws her ladle and claims that Drow don't exist. "Hundreds of Dwarves know of my name! Of my people! Who do you think it was that replaced your salt with itching powder? Who dipped your fingertips in warm water and made you wet your bed as a child? Who hid every other sock in the pair so you couldn't find it? It was us! It was all us! And I will do it all again! So sayeth Doomy!" She flicks her wrist, arcane energies crackling from the end of it as a glowing sigil suddenly appears on the front of Amanda's binder...in the shape of a phallus.

Then she spins on her heel and actually looks at Lilith, the woman's words barely remembered in the back of her head. "Let's go. I'll warm up with the Paracountess before I get to the surfacer children." She says, and starts to leave the Pathfinder Society office.

Weikel
2014-08-31, 05:17 PM
The man leaning against a wall in the back seems to be picking something out of his teeth. The man's gaudy outfit puts you in mind of a noble, but the rest of his appearance makes you think of a homeless man. He is dressed richly in a green feathered cap, an embroidered red velvet vest over a white shirt with red trousers. His cloak matches the vest along with a scarf of the same green color. His entire outfit has golden threaded seams. The look is quite ostentatious, but somehow it still seems to come together well. While his clothes are immaculately clean, his face is unshaven and scraggly. His hair is long and loosely tied in the back, but clearly hasn't been cleaned in days.

Talan chuckles a little as the drink gets spilled on the man's legs. He then seems to lose interest again, rubbing dirt out from underneath his fingernails. As the others begin to get ready to leave, he chimes in "Are you women done with your sniveling? I'm ready to get this done so we can get to the fun stuff." His hand goes to the ornate handle of a thin dueling sword on his hip. The pommel of the blade is set with a large ruby and along the hilt is fine crimson threading. The cross hilt is a very tacky golden color. It is clearly not solid gold, but there does seem to be a bit worked into it and along it there is a design that seems to be some sort of family crest. The scabbard is similarly overly fanciful. It is the same red color as the hilt along it's length and it is tipped in a golden colored metal piece.

Hazuki
2014-09-01, 11:58 AM
"Don't be an ass, or you're out of the group." Doomy says to the armored man, then leaves the room.

Grimtina
2014-09-02, 09:26 PM
The dwarf stares at the laddle a while longer. Then it dawns on her. "Oh my, I hope someone is not trying to stir soup with my wand!"

Her eyes follow Doomy out and she sighs. "Sometimes I want to be that young and impulsive again..."

"Instead of old and forgetful?" Ambrus dares to say while trying to clean up the tea. A moment later, a laddle clonks on his head. "Alright alright. Out with everyone now we have..." His eyes go to his pants "...matters to attend to."

Weikel
2014-09-05, 03:06 AM
After the Drow woman leaves the room, Talan, the man armored only in a chain shirt hidden beneath his ostentatious clothing, speaks up again "Who was that ill mannered Drow to be claiming the ability to decide who I work with? She must not have heard of my glorious success in the dueling arena. Oh well, I guess if I'm going to have to work with her, I should try not to anger her with my comments. I'll talk to Dremdhet Salhar. Maybe he'll appreciate my fame." With that, he also heads out

Grimtina
2014-09-08, 11:51 AM
On their way out, he notices a really tiny gnome, pressed to the wall outside the office, pressed really close to the wall. she is obviously very scared of the drow that had just passed by. "Scuse meeee..." she pipes up, "was that a droooow?"

Enter Farah Finefingers, a small for agnome curiosity everyone of you should have heard of - a bit too curious, know-it-all and undecided what to make of her life. Farah is proficient in everything and nothing, as in she can't seem to do anything right without major help, and she has a bad case of Murphy's Syndrome. Everything that can go wrong around her will, often for others though. Consider her a plot device/McGyver-Box/Factorum if you lack some sort of skill, she'll grow with what you need help with.

Farah is the creation of my lil nephew, who is too young to be on any forum just yet but always wanted to see his crazy pathfinder-wannabe in action.