PDA

View Full Version : Computer looking for turn based cprg a la Phantasy Star

Winter_Wolf
2014-08-29, 12:40 PM
I found my old PSP and started on a nostalgia gaming kick. Games still hold up, even with the JPRG grinding mandate. But I find myself wanting something a little more fresh than Phantasy Star 2-3-4.

So I'm looking for a turn based PC (That's "runs on Win-7") RPG that's in the vein of Phantasy Star 1-4 and including the PS2 remakes Phantasy Star: Generation 1 and Gen 2. Basically Scif-fantasy/space opera type for single player. Anything Final Fantasy is out, Star Wars is out. I'll consider Steam based (but it's a mark against because Steam), prefer like GOG/DRM free. Totally okay with indie titles (and probably would have to be anyway considering what I'm after).

GloatingSwine
2014-08-29, 01:04 PM
I found my old PSP and started on a nostalgia gaming kick. Games still hold up, even with the JPRG grinding mandate. But I find myself wanting something a little more fresh than Phantasy Star 2-3-4.

So I'm looking for a turn based PC (That's "runs on Win-7") RPG that's in the vein of Phantasy Star 1-4 and including the PS2 remakes Phantasy Star: Generation 1 and Gen 2. Basically Scif-fantasy/space opera type for single player. Anything Final Fantasy is out, Star Wars is out. I'll consider Steam based (but it's a mark against because Steam), prefer like GOG/DRM free. Totally okay with indie titles (and probably would have to be anyway considering what I'm after).

If you've got a PSP you could look at the remakes of Star Ocean and Star Ocean 2. If you've got a PS2 then maybe Rogue Galaxy.

They're all more active combat games rather than turn based like Phantasy Star.

There aren't really a lot of SF roleplay games that aren't either post apocalyptic or cyberpunk though.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-08-29, 01:06 PM
This post reminds me that I need to check out Trails in the Sky. But it's not really what you're looking for, I think.

Winter_Wolf
2014-08-30, 07:38 PM
Trails in the Sky was on GOG.com? Seems like I saw that when I was browsing.

I might take a pass on any active combat games, since the main draw of turn based is that I can do it one handed while holding a small child in the other.

Sadly I suppose that it's not just my living under a rock, just that PS 1-4 type games aren't popular enough to warrant new games on the same premise. Ah well.

GloatingSwine
2014-08-30, 08:15 PM
There are plenty of games that work like Phantasy Star, it's just the theme that's not well represented.

Not even on PC, really. I mean if you can find a copy at all there's an ancient RPG by Blue Byte called Albion which has passing similarities. It's not what I'd call a classic though, merely tolerable (the sci-fi itself is reasonably interesting though).