PDA

View Full Version : explosive runes and arrows

bjoern
2014-08-29, 02:58 PM
This was brought up in another thread and got me thinking.

Is there any way to make this work?

Put runes on an arrow and shoot it to blow up like a rocket launcher.

Here's the problems that I see RAW.

the arrow would break likely, thus destroying the runes making them unusable.

If we could somehow make an arrow that doesn't break (not sure what material that would be) (or even put thr runes on the metal arrowhead?)
we could make the whole thing a 2 round maneuver. Fire the arrow one round and in the next round cast Amanuensis to blow it up.

Any ideas on how this could be put together so it would work?

Starbuck_II
2014-08-29, 03:01 PM

If we could somehow make an arrow that doesn't break (not sure what material that would be) (or even put thr runes on the metal arrowhead?)
we could make the whole thing a 2 round maneuver. Fire the arrow one round and in the next round cast Amanuensis to blow it up.

Raptor arrows don't break if I remember right.

Vhaidara
2014-08-29, 03:07 PM

If you're spending 2 rounds on it, it's not worth it. The thing that made it good was that we had a dedicated archer with a Greatbow, Far Shot, Rapid Shot, and Haste, letting him fire off multiple grenades every turn.

Second, Amaneusis has a Close Range. As does Erase.

Third, I don't get why you don't want the arrows breaking. That's what triggered them when my group was using it.

bjoern
2014-08-29, 03:17 PM
If you're spending 2 rounds on it, it's not worth it. The thing that made it good was that we had a dedicated archer with a Greatbow, Far Shot, Rapid Shot, and Haste, letting him fire off multiple grenades every turn.

Second, Amaneusis has a Close Range. As does Erase.

Third, I don't get why you don't want the arrows breaking. That's what triggered them when my group was using it.

Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.

The erase that they are talking about in the spell is from the Erase Spell, not a pencil eraser. I take it to mean that is the only kind of erasing that will set it off.

Now, that being said if they are rules to blow up upon breaking that's great! That's all I want. I won't find out for a week if hell allow it or not. In the mean time I'm trying to figure out a rock solid 100% legit way that this could be possible. Even as a two round maneuver, its viable. Put 100 empowered runes on something.......that's worth two rounds to pull off.

Vhaidara
2014-08-29, 03:23 PM
Put 100 empowered runes on something.......that's worth two rounds to pull off.

First off, if you stack these, you will get hit with a DMG. My GM only allowed it at all because we had to vow not do that.

Second, my observations about the range of Erase still hold true. Though you could have an ally cast Dispel Magic and choose to fail.

bjoern
2014-08-29, 03:31 PM
First off, if you stack these, you will get hit with a DMG. My GM only allowed it at all because we had to vow not do that.

Second, my observations about the range of Erase still hold true. Though you could have an ally cast Dispel Magic and choose to fail.

The situation that we would use it in would be a hand crossbow. The character is pretty weak (homebrew) and I've been trying to think up some way to help him be better in combat. This would do it. I'm not looking to build a character around it or anything.

The range of the erase or Amanuensis spell would likely be far enough to reach the bolt .

I'm not trying to dog on you for using it that way. Its just that not all DMs would rule it that way. I'm just trying to figure out a way that wouldn't require any "house ruling" or "allowing"

Obviously a hand crossbow is about the worst bow to use to deliver it. And I could only get him one casting of the spell per day.

But, even just one 6d6 force 10' radius grenade per battle is a significant difference. Especially at level 6.

Ferronach
2014-08-29, 03:39 PM
The situation that we would use it in would be a hand crossbow. The character is pretty weak (homebrew) and I've been trying to think up some way to help him be better in combat. This would do it. I'm not looking to build a character around it or anything.

The range of the erase or Amanuensis spell would likely be far enough to reach the bolt .

I'm not trying to dog on you for using it that way. Its just that not all DMs would rule it that way. I'm just trying to figure out a way that wouldn't require any "house ruling" or "allowing"

Obviously a hand crossbow is about the worst bow to use to deliver it. And I could only get him one casting of the spell per day.

But, even just one 6d6 force 10' radius grenade per battle is a significant difference. Especially at level 6.

Why not just take 20 to tie a bead from a necklace of fireball to the bolt?
Target will take the damage of the bolt and the fireball spell... In the same round

You could also get special bolt heads made with a socket for the beads built into them....

bjoern
2014-08-29, 03:44 PM
Why not just take 20 to tie a bead from a necklace of fireball to the bolt?
Target will take the damage of the bolt and the fireball spell... In the same round

You could also get special bolt heads made with a socket for the beads built into them....

While that would work also, explosive runes are free, available (as a spell known) , and the force bypasses resist fire 10 which is what we are dealing with now.
With a 6d6 fireball it averages 21 damage. On a successful save it deals 10 and fire resist 10 makes it a best case 10 damage and a worst case none at all.

I could probably get the DM to house rule this to work, Especially since he notices that the other player kinda sucks in combat. But it just feels less like charity when you're actually able to make it work within the rules.

Ferronach
2014-08-29, 03:52 PM
While that would work also, explosive runes are free, available (as a spell known) , and the force bypasses resist fire 10 which is what we are dealing with now.
With a 6d6 fireball it averages 21 damage. On a successful save it deals 10 and fire resist 10 makes it a best case 10 damage and a worst case none at all.

I could probably get the DM to house rule this to work, Especially since he notices that the other player kinda sucks in combat. But it just feels less like charity when you're actually able to make it work within the rules.

While fire resist would come into play, I doubt a reflex save would. If something is inside you it is most difficult to evade. As the DM I would actually grant bonus bludgeon damage too as it is an explosive force from within the body...

bjoern
2014-08-29, 03:57 PM
While fire resist would come into play, I doubt a reflex save would. If something is inside you it is most difficult to evade. As the DM I would actually grant bonus bludgeon damage too as it is an explosive force from within the body...

I could see that for the creature hit. But not for all the other baddies around him. They would get to make a reflex save.
Also, were contending with DR/5 which would mean the 1d4 bolt would just bounce off.
Which is why I'm considering this as an option in the first place.
If DR wasn't involved, he would be able to poke em with bolts to force balance checks while they are in my grease spell. But as it is now he just twiddles his thumbs during combat.