PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magical Crossbreeding and How To Not Overshadow or Alienate My Fellow PCs?

Lucigen
2014-08-29, 03:40 PM
Finally getting to sit on the other side of the DM screen after years so I figured it'd finally be time to turn to the Playground after a smaller amount of time spent lurking.

Bit of info before I get to the questions in the title. First off it's a 3.X campaign as the DM is allowing us all books 3.0 (If they haven't been updated so he can read them over) and 3.5 but no pathfinder material. Secondly I'll be the most experienced player at the table DM included so I'd like to sort of take a backseat with my creations and myself to let them wade into all the fluff (And crunch of course) goodness that the campaign has to offer. Thirdly the campaign is a bit...not low magic but I suppose anti-Magic Item campaign story-wise it draws a sort of parallel with The Legend of Legendary Heroes in that in the Nth Age there were Epic level heroes swinging and blasting and leaving behind all sorts of relics for us to pick up if we can find them. Fast forward to our time and item creation techniques have either been lost, corrupted or made impossible due to strict requirements of physical materials not being available as said monster or some such have died off (Doubt this is the case but example : I think dragoncraft items from either Dragon Magic or Draconomicon...I forget which but you can't make that circlet/ring of x resistance if you can't get dragon scales or that faux-Flaming longsword if you can't get that red/gold dragon fang).

But onto my problems. First is the fact he has allowed me the Encyclopedia Arcane - Crossbreeding. I've already begun documenting creatures I hope to create and running them by him and he has OK'd the examples in the book as ones already able to be researched, mine I have to wing it and hope not to get murdered. Since I have faith in everyone else's ability to create mind-shattering horrors of obvious combat and non-combat use and there are obviously monsters I have overlooked I was hoping people could bring forth suggestions.

Secondly and more importantly, like I mentioned I am the most experienced player at our table and as such the levels of optimization are going to be well...low to nil (Current only other 'confirmed' character is a Fighter/Justicar set on subduing things for me to experiment on). That being the case and me already latching onto Wizard (Other classes would work with Crossbreeding with DM ruling but less changing I have to make him do the better in my opinion) I was hoping for advice on not exactly pulling punches or the like but being able to contribute meaningfully without making Timmy Facepunch or Sara Pincushion just rest their heads on their knuckles and go "Well glad I'm useless".

Sub-question of my second point is...well Crossbreeding is messy and for the most part evil so squeamish characters or more importantly squeamish players might not enjoy my character's life calling. What with magically fusing living, sometimes intelligent, creatures and the fact I'll be using zombified former enemies as heavy lifting/wranglers to prevent living assistants leaking my work (Oh come on we've all seen that hook where Henchman X was really a good guy undercover or just dissatisfied with his employer and betrays him). Normally I'd just do all of this under the table or at least secret from my fellow PCs but we will all be working closely under the same benefactor and if I mess up too badly on my check something very horrifying could be coming at my face. Both of those things mean I want them on my side and near me or at least not against me and so I was wondering about ways to make it seem less traumatizing. Only idea I have is use disguise checks and tools to make up my zombie pals into mute hooded monks that assist me but I'd love more ideas.

Sorry if this is a lot of things to ask all at once but I'm getting ready to head into work so I kind of wanted to throw out as much as I could to cut down on the amount of detail questions and let you all brainstorm heh.

Nibbens
2014-08-29, 08:14 PM
I can add some 2 cents with the "How not to Alienating my Fellow PC's" part.

How new are these players? If they're so new that they're still in a learning curve, I'd definitely take the more "role-play oriented" and non-combat spells. Rather than focusing on the good ole staple spells Magic missile, fireball, Lightning Bolt (and becoming the damage dealer of your new players), pick the things that "accent" the players own abilities. Cast Sleep on the enemies to have the fighter learn coup de gras rules. Stat buff the archer to teach them about temporary stat buffs. Shower characters with True Strike, or expeditious retreat to make them learn tactics, etc etc. Make them do the rolling - you focus on roleplay and make sure that they get involved when they are not killing monsters.

Make yourself become dependent on them - this could even be a challenge for yourself.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-29, 08:24 PM
In my experience, the best way for a high-experience to work well in an otherwise low-experience party is to focus on a mix of buffs and battlefield control. Toss down acid fog in the middle of the room, and as the enemies stumble out one by one and short of hit points, the enlarged fighter teams up with the hasted rogue to knock them down.

Lightlawbliss
2014-08-29, 11:38 PM
This sounds like a great time to pull out that really terrible build that you have always thought would be fun to play if you got the chance.

Lucigen
2014-08-29, 11:54 PM
They are fairly green around the gills heh. The Fighter/Justicar has run in only about four games games two of them mine and one of those was a one-shot Kobold Adventuring Party while their regular DM was on vacation. The other two members have only run two games total both under me.

Definitely grabbing True Strike and Expeditious Retreat as those are great suggestions and always on my casters' respective 'utility belts'. As for control I'm currently packing Sculpt Spell with Kelgore's Grave Mist to section off the field with cubes of fatigue and minor cold damage to make the low level encounters we run into kind of sad and I plan on taking the Fog line of spells as I get the chance as my spell list is currently composed of buffs some control and padded out with utility+damage spells (Persistent Blade for guaranteed flanking and Grave Mist for that fatigue).

Edit : Hm...terrible build you say? I have always wanted to play Monk, but yeah if the other players decide against having an evil party member I have an Exalted Binder focused on diplomancy for the Redemption rules and Stigmata+Naberius for healing and a Factotum information broker waiting in the wings.