PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Undead with moreHD?

ZeroGear
2014-08-29, 04:33 PM
A quick question concerning the creation of undead:
Is it possible to make undead with more HD than the creature it was originally made out of?

For clarification:
If I have a 1st level commoner, kill him, then re-animate him, can I make a 3HD skeleton or do I need a 3rd level corpse for that?
Similarly, if I re-animate a light horse, is to permanently stuck as a 2HD skeleton?

Urpriest
2014-08-29, 08:50 PM
A quick question concerning the creation of undead:
Is it possible to make undead with more HD than the creature it was originally made out of?

For clarification:
If I have a 1st level commoner, kill him, then re-animate him, can I make a 3HD skeleton or do I need a 3rd level corpse for that?
Similarly, if I re-animate a light horse, is to permanently stuck as a 2HD skeleton?

With regard to Skeletons,

Hit Dice: A skeleton drops any HD gained from class levels and changes racial HD to d8s. Creatures without racial HD are treated as if they have 1 racial HD. If the creature has more than 20 Hit Dice, it can't be made into a skeleton by the animate dead spell. A skeleton uses its Cha modifier (instead of its Con modifier) to determine bonus hit points.

So I don't see how you would create a 3HD commoner skeleton if the commoner was human, no matter how high level they were.

On the other hand, nothing stops you from using Create Undead to turn a commoner into a higher-HD undead, like a ghoul.

Dalebert
2014-08-29, 09:00 PM
I somehow have 4 HD bloody kobold skeletons. I didn't know how that was possible but someone on this forum said it was possible.

ZeroGear
2014-08-29, 09:27 PM
I somehow have 4 HD bloody kobold skeletons. I didn't know how that was possible but someone on this forum said it was possible.

Were you an oracle? Following Urpriest's quote, I checked the templates, and apparently only Juju Zombies keep class levels.

Dalebert
2014-08-29, 09:51 PM
I met a necromancer who had a bunch of undead under his control, all the mindless type, including a number of bloody skeleton kobolds of varying HD.