PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Servant a divine caster?

Gamereaper
2014-08-29, 08:39 PM
Would a Wizard 5/Rainbow Servant 10 be considered a divine caster for purposes of a divine prestige class?

Necroticplague
2014-08-29, 08:46 PM
Would a Wizard 5/Rainbow Servant 10 be considered a divine caster for purposes of a divine prestige class?

Assuming he scribed some cleric spells into his spellbook that aren't normally on his wizard spell list, yes.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-29, 08:47 PM

From the capstone ability's description:

Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don’t appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists.
They don't have a divine caster level, but they are capable of casting divine spells. So they'd qualify for a PrC requiring, say, "Ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells", but not one that requires "divine caster level 3rd".

On the topic of the Rainbow Servant, do they have 6/10 casting or 10/10 casting? The table shows them gaining a level of casting at all levels except 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th, but the actual text accompanying the table (namely, the section describing each ability in full) reads:

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new rainbow servant level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which she could cast 3rd-level arcane spells before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, wild shape ability, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of rainbow servant to the level of whatever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day accordingly.
(emphasis mine)
Does text overrule the table, or does the table overrule the text?

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-29, 08:49 PM
In most all of the cases I have seen, text holds primacy over tables.

(Although a well-paid copy editor or two would have made the need for such a rule much less.)

Necroticplague
2014-08-29, 08:50 PM
Text trumps table, rainbow servant is a full-caster.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-29, 08:58 PM
In most all of the cases I have seen, text holds primacy over tables.

(Although a well-paid copy editor or two would have made the need for such a rule much less.)

Especially in the case of Complete Divine; in terms of editing that book is a bit of a mess. The Shugenja gains 8th-level spells/day at 14th level (at the same time as they gain 7th level spells/day), and 9th-level spells/day at 16th level, but they gain spells known at the right times (7th at level 14, 8th at level 16, 9th at level 18). Also there's at least one or two occasions where some deity or another is referenced as being described on "page XX". No numbers, just the letters XX. Because they put in the reference before they'd finalized the page order, and never fixed it.

So Rainbow Servant is a full caster? That's... That makes it one of the best prestige classes I know. Full casting, at-will (Su) flight, full casting, access to domain spells and granted powers of the Good, Air, and Law domains. Wow.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-29, 09:02 PM
I believe Rainbow Beguilesnake is one of those famously powerful caster builds, though I haven't looked into the specifics myself.

Even at 6/10, it's not too shabby for a lower-op table.

Jeff the Green
2014-08-29, 09:06 PM
In addition to RAW's text-trumps-tables rule, the idea that 10/10 casting is RAI is substantially bolstered by the fact that foreign language editions are corrected to 10/10 on the table as well.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-29, 10:31 PM
In addition to RAW's text-trumps-tables rule, the idea that 10/10 casting is RAI is substantially bolstered by the fact that foreign language editions are corrected to 10/10 on the table as well.

Foreign language editions published by WotC? Or outsourced translations that might have used their own copy-editing? Cause I am really wondering why foreign language editions get better errata than the English versions.

Gamereaper
2014-08-30, 08:22 AM
What book and page is "text trumps table" listed in?

I know this will be a headache getting approved.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-30, 08:26 AM
What book and page is "text trumps table" listed in?

I know this will be a headache getting approved.

The official errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20050803a) for all three core rulebooks contains the following paragraph:

Errata Rule: Primary Sources
When you find a disagreement between two D&D rules
sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the
primary source is correct. One example of a
primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a
table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence
when the short description in the beginning of the spells
chapter disagrees.
Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves
book and topic precedence. The Player’s Handbook, for
example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for PC
races, and the base class descriptions. If you find something
on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master’s Guide or
the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player’s
Handbook, you should assume the Player’s Handbook is the
primary source. The Dungeon Master’s Guide is the primary
source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special
material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual
is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and
supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

Gamereaper
2014-08-30, 09:03 AM
The official errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20050803a) for all three core rulebooks contains the following paragraph:

Thanks, I know I'll get slammed with books so I need some kind of rebuttle. I don't really make high optimization characters, I make ones that are still somewhat practical. In this case, a holy wizard of sorts. But just simply because it's more than a single casting class, It'll be deemed "too powerful".

If I really wanted to be a jerk, I could do this, but then take it a step further and go Necropolitan and get the End to Strife spell and any spells like Dimensional Anchor or other ones to prevent retreating. 20D6 nonlethal every time you attack with no save? Best part, I'd be immune to the damage, now that's too powerful.