PDA

View Full Version : Optimization For a Sorcerer going Eldritch Theurge, what spells should I learn?

RPGaddict28
2014-08-30, 12:31 AM
I'm currently building a Warlock8/Sorcerer1/Eldritch Theurge5/Hellfire Warlock3/x3, and as sorcerers have fewer spells known, what kind of spells function well with the intent of being an eldritch theurge?

Also, any recommendations for what my last 3 levels should be, other than 3 more in warlock?

Thanatosia
2014-08-30, 03:55 AM
Pretty sure Eldritch Thuerge is a 10 level prestige class, and I don't see anything retarded like missing invocation, edritch blast or caster level advancement for going past 5 levels..... so I guess my question is, not only why would your default assumption be 3 more ranks of warlock rather then 3 more ranks of Eldritch Theurge. but why 8 levels of warlock before starting eldritch thurge, you can get in there earlier then that, the only special feature you get out of sticking with warlock to 8 is fiendish resilience 1, which is pretty meh.

Also, unless you have some other trick to offset the con damage in mind, I understand most Hellfire warlocks also want a 1 level dip in binder for naberius to heal the hellfire constitution damage.

nerghull
2014-08-30, 05:00 AM
I'm interested in your trick for entering eldritch theurge with only one sorcerer level since it needs specifically the ability to cast 2nd level spells.

torrasque666
2014-08-30, 05:02 AM
I'm interested in your trick for entering eldritch theurge with only one sorcerer level since it needs specifically the ability to cast 2nd level spells.

I'm assuming the typical Versatile Spellcaster+Heighten trick. Seems sketchy to me, but works by RAW.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-30, 10:29 AM
Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3/Binder 1/Eldritch Theurge 4/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Theurge +6/Warlock +2

Take Precocious Apprentice at 1st level. Costs one feat less than Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten does. Bind Naberius to heal 1 point of ability damage per round, and keep that sucker bound 'til the end of time. At the end of the build, you cast as an 18th-level warlock and an 11th-level sorcerer. If you really want sixth level spells, you can trade one of the last Warlock levels for a level of Sorcerer.

ShneekeyTheLost
2014-08-30, 12:03 PM
There's plenty of very useful low-level spells that can help out a character like that.

Warlocks go pew-pew an unlimited number of times per day. Your sorcerer spells should be ones that are used when you need more than just a pew-pew.

To this end, I suggest spells like Grease, Glitterdust, and Stinking Cloud. That way, if a target has a vulnerable saving throw, you will be able to target it. Don't bother with damage spells, that is what your Warlock levels are for. Focus on utility and battlefield control and you'll do okay. Just remember the litmus test for picking sorcerer spells: it must be something you can reasonably expect to cast every day. If it isn't something you see yourself casting that frequently, it can generally be wand'd or scroll'd.

For example, Protection from Elements is a pretty bad choice unless the entire campaign focus involves getting hit by a lot of elemental blastomancy. Knock is a very bad choice because it can be put in a Wand and used when necessary. Invisibility, however, is a pretty good choice. It has defensive and utility capability. Mirror Image is another very good choice, because it has a lot of defensive capability that cannot otherwise be obtained.