PDA

View Full Version : Amerhikan Wasteland Campaign Journal.

janusmaxwell
2014-08-30, 12:43 AM
This is the first play through for a system devised by Blackhawk748 which is the Exodus system, using a setting where Earth was/is populated by various races in fantasy. The breakdowns of all the races that have been listed/statted out are on the main thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362872-Amerhikan-Wasteland-%28an-Exodus-Setting%29

This is the first entry in the campaign journal.

So for those who're wanting a bit of information, the playtest of this system has been going quite well.

Recent mission and first "true fight" involved looking for a previous team of explorers who disappeared into an abandoned cheese-factory.

Our scout/elf went in first and heard a raspy-voice going "help me..."

Logic telling him that the previous team had been missing for 4 days and there's no way they'd still be alive, he backed out and the entire group went in, guns akimbo.

Traveling through the cheese factory into the 2nd warehouse, one of the NPC's had a cutscene death (From behind you hear "WHAT THE FU-" and he disappears") and we suddenly have 2 voices on either side of the group saying "help me..."

Everyone is tense and on overwatch when I take off the gasmask (Cheese factory left to rot for 70+ years...) and say "If you're a sapient being (couldn't say human cause there's more than just humans in this setting) say something besides 'Help me'!"

Silence for a few moments followed by a neutral/slightly cheerful "hello"

I wasn't aware that my request could have an answer THAT wrong, but boy-howdy was that a freaking WRONG answer.

Soon enough the things inside the factory show themselves and I will give Blackhawk credit. He didn't go with 'dog-sized cockroaches'

Instead we are in a nest of HUMAN sized cockroaches that can imitate human speech like a parrot to better hunt prey (us) and fold their fore-legs around their heads to make a very VERY creepy disguise check to appear human in dim-lighting.

Yes, we are suddenly in the setting for the old Sci-fi horror movie "mimic" except we had molotov cocktails and Automatic weapons. There's a reason why horror movies don't, but SHOULD, let survivors have access to machine-guns and flammable materials.:smallbiggrin:

We get out of there and make it to a ram-shackle survivor settlement. A settlement that is under threat of imminent raider attack. Current plan that the group came up with now involves a "Briar-patch" plan:

"Oh please don't hurt us mister bandits, we're so scared of you! If you don't hurt us, we'll tell you where we stockpile our food, money, bullets, etc! It's all in a cheese factory just a little ways away from here!"

God in heaven this is gonna be fun. I'll update more after next session next week.:smallbiggrin:

The 2nd entry is as follows.

A new player joins as a Gnoll cook, while the plan from the last session/entry is refined. An NPC Gnoll (Stone Bull) with a Bison herd is convinced to take 2 bison (mother and calf) out to the cheese factory and set up to make bison noises constantly, and then removed at night so the bugs don't eat them. 3 days of constant exposure to mooing cows and the cockroaches prey imitation sounding-board now includes a setting for bison.

NPC scouts from the Vault (called Arcs in this setting) are sent to the factory to eye-ball the place while the leader of the hill-top town (Father Richard) goes out to meet the boss of the raiders (Bone'eads) with PC back-up. The meeting goes well with Father Richard telling the Bone'eads that Stone Bull's bison herd is hidden up at the cheese factory, making his CHA roll to bluff the raiders and the raiders failing their WIS rolls. The leader of the Bone'eads sends 10 raiders out to the factory by motorcycle.

The entirety of the town gathers around the radio in the ARC vehicle (Juggernaut) while the new PC passes out pop-corn. It's like a 1930's radio play as the ARC scouts give a great play-by-play of the raiders walking into the factory and just getting screwed over royally. One raider, a female human with a 10 gauge shotgun, manages to make it out of the nest and survive the sniper fire from the ARC scouts and drives off to the Bone'eads to tattle on the trap.

2 PC's (one me) and Stone Bull ride out of the town on horseback to cut off the survivor before she can give up the scam. The new player throws me a chain, saying it'll be awesome against somebody on a motorcycle. After a brief flash of the movie Akira, I realize the better idea of me and Stone Bull riding side-by-side on horseback and using the chain to clothesline the chick on the motorcycle as she rides between us. 2 successful checks each, one for STR and the other for ride, and we insta-kill her. ("I'm not even gonna try to calculate damage. She was going like 60mph, got hit by a length of chain...that's just reflex save or die.")

End result of the plan: New weapons and loot and motorcycles for the PC's, the ARC scouts and the NPC's; as well as cutting the Bone'eads forces down by a third. Still leaves quite a few raiders blockading the town, pretending to be militia forces and telling any travelers that the town was quarantined due to plague and rioting in the streets.

This is solved by our scout from the earlier entry, who became a psychopathic elven blend of Katniss and Batman. That night while the Bone'eads are still waiting on the return from their men at the cheese factory, the elf manages to sneak attack and kill 9 raiders at the 3 barricades blocking some of the main roads leading in and out of the town. Using a composite bow and nothing but shots to the left-eye (yes really) he then poses the bodies of his victims in the turret mounted dune-buggies at the barricades. 2 in the driver and passenger seats, with arms around shoulders, and the third sticking out of the turret in the 'coffin' pose with arms across the chest.

The next morning the elf sneaks out again and listens in on the leader screaming what basically amounts to "WTF IS GOING ON! F--- THIS SH-T! WE'RE LEAVING!"

End result is that we now have a secondary "base" in the form of a grateful town to use on our ever expanding zone for exploration.

Keep in mind...everything that has been occuring so far is going to be considered historical canon for this system as this is the "playtest"...and with that in mind, I'm going to leave Blackhawk748 to tell you all the story of the "Onion Fairy"...this will all be canon...the only part that I will add from my own experience is that the Onion Fairy is real...and he decided to seduce the NPC half-orc bar owner (For the lulz, not creepy)...I like to think of this as WAAAAGGHHH! fever.

janusmaxwell
2014-08-30, 12:44 AM
[Reserved for future posts]

janusmaxwell
2014-08-30, 12:45 AM
[Reserved for More posts]

janusmaxwell
2014-08-30, 12:46 AM
[Last reservation for updates]

Blackhawk748
2014-08-30, 12:58 AM
Gather round children and hear the legend....... of the Onion Fairy. He started life as a man named Orran Van Morris, or so the tale goes. He was a drifter and a wanderer, in short a Ramblin Man. His tale begins, as so many do, with Orran throwing a rock at a bandit's head, this didnt do much other than piss off the bandit, but the derringer and the break action .38 made them think twice about trying to kill him. He made them drop their guns and then gave them each an onion. The name started when one of them exclaimed "What are you the friggin onion fairy??" to which he responded, "Why yes, yes i am." This was exacerbated when an Orc bandit leader recognized him by the description of his men and yelled "YOUR THE FREAKIN ONION FAIRY" Orran then began creating Onion themed traps and bombs, basically just a pipebomb in a large onion hooked to a tripwire.

And so ends the first chapter of the Tale of the Onion Fairy.

Doorhandle
2014-08-30, 03:38 AM
2 posts in, and i'm already looking forward to more of this.