PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Low Level Campaign

Machadawg
2014-08-30, 01:10 AM
I'm going to be running The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde for my four friends all of whom save one are completely new and skeptical about this "whole D&D thing". Any tips on getting them interested engaged.

I figured this this module would be a good place for some newbies to learn to play. ( Plus I had it laying around the house) Is this a good module for them? Like I said they are skeptical of D&D. I don't think They are really sure what to expect from the game.

Rhunder
2014-08-30, 01:28 AM
I can't speak ab the module but I can say the best way I've gotten people into DnD(which is only a few since I'm relatively new) is the NPCs. Making them different, i.e. varying voices, distinct physical features, or just overall hatred of them. The last one tends to get people to stick around.

I usually make a cowardly heckler bother the PCs at the beginning. Not particularly dangerous or anything. Just someone they can't kill, usually bc of guards, that is just insulting them or bothering them. 90% of the time, they come back to see how that guy is gonna get it. The other 10% is the PCs getting arrested bc they couldn't handle the guy. Which leads to socially awkward situations which players love. I give them a small out on the latter though.

Airk
2014-08-30, 03:41 PM
Try to find out what they think is exciting, and then give it to them. If they can't or won't tell you directly, watch them like a hawk during session one.

And in general, awesome trumps rules, even more than usual.

Also, try using Dungeon World instead of D&D. :P (Yeah yeah, this advice is not really useful since you've already picked an adventure and stuff, but hey, it's what I'd do.)