PDA

View Full Version : Need an Undead Boss

Kesnit
2014-08-30, 05:15 AM
My DM (aka my wife) has asked me to put together a boss for the dungeon the party is currently running.

Party is LVL 6
Wizard
Artificer (me)
Bard
SORC/Rogue (don't know the level breakdown)

She wants a melee undead with a few minions. (We've been using ghouls and ghasts for minions through the dungeon, and it's worked fine.) I'm not all that familiar with the Monster Manuals to know if there is something there that would work. (I'd also take something that could be reskinned - take some appropriate monster and give it undead traits.)

Help? :smalleek:

Sir Garanok
2014-08-30, 05:46 AM
You can find some cool stuff in libris mortis,besides classics like vampire/lich.

I suggest making an uber intimidating description of the boss,especially if it is something they have not encountered before
as dnd players.

Since its mainly a caster party creating the feeling that if it gets close to them they are ripped apart
makes it even more interesting.

It has worked well for me,at least.

Kol Korran
2014-08-30, 05:52 AM
A simple Idea could be a mummy with 3 cleric levels. It has a few simple spells for surprise, it can pack a punch, some armor can make it's AC decent, and it might use it's rebuke attempts to possibly strengthen some undead minions? (Not sure if this needs feats or such).

Some decent spells:
- protection from energy
- desecrate
- bull's strength
- shield of faith/ protection from good
- doom/ bane

I think this might give the battle a bit more Oomph.

Threadnaught
2014-08-30, 06:06 AM
A non-Lich Swarm Shifter (Libris Mortis 123), who worries about specific items in each of his hiding places.

Make it crumble into Gravedust if it takes too much damage. And wait until the PCs have left the room before leaving or reassembling.

If you want your players to hate you, make it refer to itself as "The Lich King". :smallamused:

Wacky89
2014-08-30, 06:07 AM
you would want something with alot of hp so its not that easy to beat the encounter.
I would suggest Boneclaw from MM3 and advance it once which would give it 14HD total, give it Travel Devotion as the 12HD feat and put the stat increase in Str which would give it 22STR. Which would make it a CR 6 put in a couple of ghouls and you're set and it'll be a Encounter level 7 and it should be fine :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-30, 06:16 AM
A Boneclaw in MM3 should work, give it Evolved Undead in LM once or twice and throw in a few (Evolved) Ghouls.

Bart
2014-08-30, 07:36 AM
Personal Favorite;

Ice Vampire (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1219)
(CR 6) and a few Lesser Vampires (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1218) as his victims (CR 3 each).

Jeff the Green
2014-08-30, 07:58 AM
Ghouls and ghasts? How about a grave-touched ghoul, from Libris Mortis. It's a template applicable to any humanoids and a number of other types. Maybe a gravetouched ghoul orc lion spirit totem wolf totem barbarian 2/Warblade 4. Probably give him IUAS and SUAS so he can get his iteratives in along with his natural weapons. Make him supported by a few deathlocks (also LM) with custom SLA lists (some buffing, some debuffing, some BFC).

afroakuma
2014-08-30, 09:27 AM
Skull lords (MMV) are basically designed to be "undead bosses" and really cool to boot. They have melee capability, but prefer to stay out and let their minions handle things. They have the ability to create specific types of minions. I think it would be most suitable for you. If you want it to be more powerful, slap a level of some caster on it (dread necro, perhaps?) and watch the fireworks.

Bad Wolf
2014-08-30, 11:35 AM
Maybe a Crypt Singer? Give it a level of bard, give it the Requiem feat, and give it a few undead minions. If you prefer a higher CR, you could just put a few levels of Dirgesinger on it.