PDA

View Full Version : Just a little Fix

Keko
2014-08-30, 06:02 AM
My PHB isn't arrived yet, but from what I've seen here and the free PDF I think I have a general grasp of what 5Ed is (and I like what I've seen so far).
However there are a few little things I think could have been done differently for a more enjoyable game (at least for me).

So the question is: are there any small fixes you will use in your game or you at least you would like to do? (I mean just small things, not the general game system or entire classes)

I'll start with mine

1.In 3.X I always tried to have as high Int as possible as I like to play skillful character, but in 5Ed, unless you are a caster you gain little to no benefit from high Int (just known languages bonus to int saves, which I understand is the least common save for now, and a bunch of skill mostly for scholars).

So I would like a rule saying that if you have Int 13+ you gain an extra skill proficiency that can be used in any class skill. If later in the game you reach Int 13 you can train any class skill or a skill you used in the game with some relevance(DM discetion)

I would say also that rogues need only int 11 for 1 extra skill proficiency and 13 for 2 extra skill proficiencies, to be really skillmonkeys

2.The most agile dwarf in the world is as agile as the most agile elf in the world.

Wut?!?

What I think is that stat caps should be modified by racial modifier, so for example a high elf should have Dex and Int caps at 22 or the other way round, everything capped at 18 but Int and Dex at 20.

What would you change :smallamused: ?

hymer
2014-08-30, 06:12 AM
1.In 3.X I always tried to have as high Int as possible as I like to play skillful character, but in 5Ed, unless you are a caster you gain little to no benefit from high Int (just known languages and bonus to int saves, which I understand is the least common save for now, and a bunch of skill mostly for scholars).

Languages are unaffected by your Int.

What would you change :smallamused: ?

I'd be trying to stick as closely to the rules as possible for my first campaign, and only after that look at what house rules should apply. I'd try to work things within the rules rather than make a house rules first. E.g. the fighter blocking a narrow hall can get attacked by six people in melee in one round. I wouldn't make rules against it, I'd just play the monsters so they wouldn't do it (and tell the players that the gloves come off if they do it to boss NPCs).

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-30, 08:41 AM
2.The most agile dwarf in the world is as agile as the most agile elf in the world.

Wut?!?

What I think is that stat caps should be modified by racial modifier, so for example a high elf should have Dex and Int caps at 22 or the other way round, everything capped at 18 but Int and Dex at 20.

Racial profiling isn't nice. The +2 but all capping at 20 produces an even result but getting there costs stat increases which could potentially have been traded for a feat instead. So that dwarf will have to work harder and get there several levels later. That's perfectly fair and allows for any race to be viable for any class.

Also your suggestion produces odd results with the +1 values.

HorridElemental
2014-08-30, 08:56 AM
Racial profiling isn't nice. The +2 but all capping at 20 produces an even result but getting there costs stat increases which could potentially have been traded for a feat instead. So that dwarf will have to work harder and get there several levels later. That's perfectly fair and allows for any race to be viable for any class.

A couch potato elf shouldn't be as graceful as a dwarven acrobat. This system allows for this to be shown. I would prefer not ability score increase/penalty for races but whatever.

The elf gets a head start with dexterity but with training the dwarf will surpass the elf soon enough, or be equal to the elf.

I like it.

OP: Giving Int to skill proficiencies is a horrible idea. Skills are, for the most part, a rare commodity and what you would do is help make Wizards not only have tons of cersitility with spells but with skills too.

There is also no real correlation between intelligence and skills. I've seen some dumb people (coughlittlesistercough) have a broad range of talents. We are talking about a woman at the age of 20 who asked me where clouds came from before there were factories because she thought factories made clouds.... Yet she was athletic, acrobatics, persuasive, intimidating, and could hunt and forage (she lacked a lot of basic Intelligence and common sense)... Int really isn't all that needed to know a lot of skills.

Keko
2014-08-30, 09:13 AM

The dwarf that wants to be a good rogue will be less dexterous than an elf but is sturdier and has other racial advantage instead of the +2 Dex (resistant to poison, potentially proficient in medium armors).

He can be a good rogue anyway but has to work differently, also noone says a rogue must be dex based.

(Also I don't think having 2 less dex cripples the option of a dex-based dwarf rogue)

Even a +1 to a stat gives +2 to the cap (it was implicit, I should have stated it better).

Gnomes2169
2014-08-30, 10:03 AM
This would give the base human the 20 cap to all stats... And the varient human the most min-maxy 20 in their stats. :P

Human dominance 4 lyfe!

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-30, 04:52 PM
The dwarf that wants to be a good rogue will be less dexterous than an elf but is sturdier and has other racial advantage instead of the +2 Dex (resistant to poison, potentially proficient in medium armors).

He can be a good rogue anyway but has to work differently, also noone says a rogue must be dex based.

(Also I don't think having 2 less dex cripples the option of a dex-based dwarf rogue)

Even a +1 to a stat gives +2 to the cap (it was implicit, I should have stated it better).

I think plenty of people will say a Rogue should indeed be Dex based less it sacrifice on its primary combat asset as a damage dealer. And that being a little tougher won't turn it into a tank.

And Constitution is the only stat everybody gets something out of because HP, every other stat does nothing for various classes worth maxing out. I'll be the first to tell you to build your casters with a positive strength modifier and never take a penalty on a roll... but that's for rounding out a character not devoting substantial resources to maxing out a stat.

Giving unreachable superiority just creates a more limited more stereotyped world where X race never plays Y class.
Have a conquerable advantage preserves the flavor of the races and their specialties but gives a way to equalize that for a reasonable investment of your build. Best of all worlds.