PDA

View Full Version : Action economy abuse?

Shinken
2014-08-30, 08:00 AM
Am I crazy, or does a Monk/Rogue/Fighter basically bitchslap action economy into oblivion and watches it cry in the corner?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-30, 08:03 AM
When half the classes can do things as bonus actions, doing things as bonus actions isn't that special.

That said, Action Surge is awesome.

Grynning
2014-08-30, 09:13 AM
The Rogue and Monk's bonus action stuff is mostly redundant, since you only get one bonus action per turn.

That said, Action Surge is awesome.

Gnomes2169
2014-08-30, 09:52 AM
Rogue is badically Batman, Monk is the Avatar + Ability to kick your ass without his bending (and the monk probably abuses it the most, given that he/ she can do things that don't cost an action while at the same time stopping enemy actions *Cough, stunning fist, cough*)... And Action Surge is awesome. ^_^

Shinken
2014-08-30, 10:37 AM
The Rogue and Monk's bonus action stuff is mostly redundant, since you only get one bonus action per turn.

Really? I didn't know that.

Grynning
2014-08-30, 10:41 AM
Yep. Page 189, under Bonus Actions:
"You can take only one bonus action on your turn, so you must choose which bonus action to use when you have more than one available."

Sartharina
2014-08-30, 10:44 AM
They implemented that rule because during a playtest, a TWFighter/Monk/Rogue actually would bust the action economy wide open.

Xetheral
2014-08-30, 12:21 PM
Don't forget to add three levels of Ranger for Horde Breaker. It's only an extra attack under certain circumstances, but it doesn't use up your bonus action.

Surrealistik
2014-08-30, 12:23 PM
Am I crazy, or does a Monk/Rogue/Fighter basically bitchslap action economy into oblivion and watches it cry in the corner?

No, but a Necromancer abusing Animate Dead does.

Grynning
2014-08-30, 12:27 PM
No, but a Necromancer abusing Animate Dead does.

Yup. Also casters using conjure/summon spells in general.

Warskull
2014-09-01, 01:31 PM
You really don't get freebie actions in 5E. Using flurry for an extra attack takes a bonus action, dual wielding for an extra attack takes a bonus action (for a single attack.) You are limited to a single bonus action per turn. This means at most you get getting one extra attack per turn. Rogue sneak attack damage is also limited to once per turn.

So Rogue/Monk/Fighter doesn't really give you anything super special. It just means you have a lot of things that want to eat up your bonus action.

Shadow
2014-09-01, 04:29 PM
You really don't get freebie actions in 5E. Using flurry for an extra attack takes a bonus action, dual wielding for an extra attack takes a bonus action (for a single attack.) You are limited to a single bonus action per turn. This means at most you get getting one extra attack per turn. Rogue sneak attack damage is also limited to once per turn.

So Rogue/Monk/Fighter doesn't really give you anything super special. It just means you have a lot of things that want to eat up your bonus action.

True, TWF and Flurry use a bonus action, but Martial Arts does not. So a TWF monk gets his attack, then his martial arts attack, then his bonus action TWF attack (without spending Ki to do it unless he wants a larger damage die after a certain level). Adding fighter into the mix offers an action surge for another attack if he wants. Adding rogue into the mix just offers a bunch of different options to use that bonus action for if he chooses instead of another attack.

Cunning Action is extremely powerful. I'm having a hard time justfying not tossing two (or three) rogue onto most concepts in my head because of how powerful it is.
You think a 2 rogue dip in 3.x was good? That was situational. This is Every. Freaking. Round.
Never take OAs ever again if you choose.
Double move and attack if you want.
Slip in and out of shadows at will.
At third level you can drink a potion (or open a lock, or disarm a trap, or palm an item) and still take another action.

HugeC
2014-09-01, 04:33 PM
Uh, no, the extra unarmed attack from martial arts takes a bonus action. So it's only one of flurry, TWF, or martial arts attack.

Shadow
2014-09-01, 04:34 PM
reading it again, it looks like you're right. I missed that.
Either way, Cunning Action is still almost so good as to be OP.

MadBear
2014-09-01, 04:50 PM
reading it again, it looks like you're right. I missed that.
Either way, Cunning Action is still almost so good as to be OP.

It is really good, but it takes up that oh so precious bonus action. It's still probably worth the dip just to have the additional options, but with bonus actions being a really strong limiting factor, it just good at expanding versatility rather then something you'd do every round.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-01, 05:06 PM
It is really good, but it takes up that oh so precious bonus action. It's still probably worth the dip just to have the additional options, but with bonus actions being a really strong limiting factor, it just good at expanding versatility rather then something you'd do every round.

Well for others possibly but a Monk can Dash and Disengage on a bonus action with Step of the Wind for a Ki point already, leaving only Hide. Rogue is better strictly being costless but as mundane stealth is pretty discretionary I'm not sure its worth delaying all your Monk abilities two levels.

Maybe if you know the campaign is only going to mid levels and nabbed it after your first increase and extra attack. If you hit level 11 though that's when shadow monks can turn invisible (with darkness, they can generate!) which is more reliable.

Plus all the other Monk stuff. I don't think anyone has said Monks are terribly ki deprived since its a short rest refresh.