PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help for a Tripper

bootzin
2014-08-30, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,
I'm going to begin a new Gestalt campaign soon, and I would like some advice from you, specially regarding items.
It is gestalt with a few homebrew, which means no class restrictions for gestalting and we are allowed to a maximum of 3 templates. The Point buy is 35 (30+1d6), minimum buy of 7, max 18, and we start at Lvl 6 with 2 LAs bought off. We need to take the HD though. Every template except for Lolth-touched and a few broken others is available, including LA:-, but they have to be justified by your character background. So let me start by telling a little about my campaign.

We live in the classic dnd material plane. We are evil characters who are supposed to seek some kind of 'hard to obtain buff/super power' (Classic immortality, maybe?). The begining and development of the campaign are still unknown, as the DM will only tell it to us after we started playing, but we are supposed to send our backgrounds to him before it starts. That said, we know some of the late game: A 100 levels tower of darkness, madness and destruction, which we will have to face prior to acquiring what we were seeking.

My character is a Maug construct who has been captured by Mind Flayers so that they would do some torturing and brutal experiments with me. I was forcibly transformed into an Incarnate, implanted a right arm and a left leg from a clay golem (Half Golem Template - Will save successful), implanted with a graft of a fiendish long arm (5k gp I had to spend from initial gold), and finally, I had part of my brains removed by them and replaced with that sticky slime (Voidmind template). I managed to free myself from the slave condition, and now I basically hate everyone around me.

The rest of the team is still having some hard time on deciding their characters, it is a 4 people party, one PC is the DM, but what I know so far is that we are gonna have a gish with divine minion template and about 20 attacks/round when transformed, and a god damn hard to catch blinking friend, who is gonna stack all the blinking/teleporting ways he can. we may also have another beatstick, but he doesn't know his build just yet.

Extreme damage dealers are disencouraged (Such as Gunslingers), and cheese like "the" kobold or pun-pun is banned for obvious reasons. Besides that, characters must be beatable.

Talking about the books, pretty much every book in 3.5 is allowed, as well as some 3.0 and most PF.

My build is as follows:
Name: Frank Stein
Race: Half-Golem Voidmind Incarnate Lesser Maug (Lesser Maug is hombrew, we took SR out and 1HD out, also we took the other HD and put it onto LA, as it can be bought off, total LA is +4)
Class: Fighter 6//LA+2/Psywar 2/XX (Spirit Lion Wolf barb 2? Other?)
STR: 39 (17PB, +10 Maug, +8 clay Half Golem, +4 Voidmind)
DEX: 18 (14PB, +4 Maug, -2 Golem, +2 Voidmind);
CON: 26 (17PB, +2 Maug, +4 Voidmind, +2 Golem, +1 Lvl 4 stat);
INT: 5 (7PB, -6Golem, +2 Maug, +2 Voidmind);
WIS:13 (13PB);
CHA: 1 (7PB, -6Golem, -2 Voidmind,+2 Maug)
NA: +9 (Limited by the Incarnate template)

Not quite sure about these yet, but here it goes:
Lvl1: Aberration Blood (1st); Willing deformity (We have a free 1st lvl feat, no flaws though); Power Attack (Fighter 1); - Yes, I know I am not a humanoid, and yes, I know I am Large (Wanna get Deformity: Tall), but DM has allowed it, so I'm free to go
Lvl2: Dungeon Crasher ACF (Fighter 2)
Lvl3: Inhuman Reach (3rd); Improved Bull Rush (Psywar 1);
Lvl4: Knock back (Fighter 4); Shock Trooper (Psywar 2) - I wanna delay knockdown a little, tho some 3.0 is available, I don`t know if they will like it
Lvl5: Pounce (Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1)
Lvl6: Deformity: Tall (6th); Dungeon Crasher II ACF (Fighter); Improved Trip (Wolf Totem Barbarian 2)

Starting Gold: 15,000 gp
I couldn't think much about this just yet, except for the Graft (5k), A Masterworked Rope Dart (+1 or +2?) and a Living Chain... I have no idea about enchantments, armor, misc. items (Except fire, fire is always good), and other stuff... I wanna build a massive tripper, who can grow up to gargantuan using expansion, and I will take War Hulk 10 (The whole reason of this build) so all the area that I threaten will suffer dmg and be susceptible to trip (Specially because of knockback and shock trooper).
Any items you suggested would be nice, but anything above 1.5k has to be allowed by our DM. The ones I mentioned before are already allowed.

So here is a huge list, I will try to summarize:
Voidmind:
Sentient Tentacle: 1d8 independent tentacle with improved Grab and Constriction (1d8+1-1/2 STR), also adds +5' to range (Can it attack with a weapon?)
Cone of slime: 1/day,30ft,1d6 per HD acid dmg,Reflex halves,if hit: -2 will,1d4+1 stun
Damage Reduction: 5/magic
Immunities: Acid, mind affecting spells, ability dmg, ability drain and energy drain
Mind Flayer Host: Basically, the guys who made know where I am, if I'm taking dmg, can see and hear me if they're close, and can cast dominate monster on me with no save (This will have some campaign consequences)
Spell Resistance: Has been totally removed
Skills: +4 on Bluff, escape artist and intimidate
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes and Great Fortitude as bonus feats

Clay Half Golem:
Can't run (Can it charge?)
Fortitude: +2
Wound: Dmg dealt by Half Clay Golem doesn't heal naturally, and must succeed a DC 26 if targeted by heal spell to heal (I believe it only applies to unarmed strikes)
Damage Reduction: 10/Silver
Haste: As the feat
Immunities: Piercing and Slashing
Berserk and Magic Immunity: Have been totally removed, for gameplay's sake

Incarnate Construct Maug:
Land Speed: 40'
Skills: +4 on Caft (Stonemasonry) and Knowledge (Engineering and architecture)
Languages: Common Draconic and Giant Languages, any as bonus
NA: Limited to +9
Size: Large

Final Considerations
So pretty much this is it, I want some advices on my character, considering that I intend to get War Hulk10 in my build. My psychic powers are gonna be expansion and compression, so that I can't get bigger, or stop being affected by war hulk's no time to think. I still intend to get Steadfast Determination, and a lvl of Crusader late game to get Thicket of Blades and Immortal Fortitude stances. I also thought about getting Shoving Arm graft, but that would be another 2kgp, and I don't know if I can afford it
Besides that I believe this is all the ideas I could get. It's a totally optimized campaign, so I believe this character is not that unbalanced
Give me your opinion and tell what could I do to make it better (or worse, if you think it is too optimized :p) and specially, give me advices on items and magical items, it has been the hardest for me to pick..

Here is some reference for everything I've said:

Voidmind template:http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/voidmind.shtml
Half Golem template:http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halfgolem.shtml
Incarnate Construct template: Savage Species, don't know the page, AFB
Maug: Fiend Folio, I believe it is page 121
Grafts:http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/grafts.shtml

Thanks guys :smallbiggrin:

bootzin
2014-09-02, 02:20 PM
*Bump*

Also, I'd like to emphasyze the following questions:
Can the Voidmind's Sentient Tentacle wield a weapon?
Does the "Wound" special attack apply to weapon attacks?
Does the Shoving Arm Graft makes me unable to wield 2 handed wapons?
thx