PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Race Builder: Pixies and "Diminutive".

Trisha
2014-08-30, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone!

So i recently had the idea that i wanted to build a Pixie playable race (think Tinkerbell).
my DM 15rp as an approximate value to shoot for, as that was what most of the other races people had came out to be.

I have no problem with the limit, but in my attempt to balance things, i couldn't find a value for the "diminutive" size category. i saw on a couple forums that people believe it should be somewhere between 6-8rp. i was hoping to gain some more informed opinions.

This was what i had written for the race so far.
Trish's Pixies (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lFQbNFV79aQucxbqbt0MzD5BHqKcQqOlupdDVTDSLRc/edit)

do you feel this is a fair calculation of points(other racial skill traits adopted from the race builder)?
and do you feel 6 or 8 points is fair on the price of diminutive?

Thankies for the help ^.^

Kamai
2014-09-01, 01:45 PM
If it were just diminutive size, and not also getting the size bonus to stats, I'd say 6-7. Since it has the extra size bonuses, I'd probably keep it at 9, because I feel like it's a larger benefit to casters/rogues than Large is to beatsticks.

Stylistically, I don't like the extra -1 for movespeed since you're mitigating it with a better movement speed. If I were the DM, I wouldn't let you have more than the -1 for 20 ft movement. I don't know what your DM is looking at with other characters at the moment, but as is, this does feel like it should be LA +1, which is what it's 19 points would suggest.

Just from the ability score line alone, it looks like:
-6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma

We could take -2 points for a mixed weakness, instead of 0 for standard, changing the line (before size) to:
-4 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma (Adding in -6 Strength, +4 Dexterity from size), still fitting the feel of a really fragile creature, maybe a bit impulsive.

This brings it down to 17 without doing any unusual things, but I don't see what else we can remove and still have it feel right.
If we were to maybe have:
Cold Iron Vulnerability (-1 RP): Requirements: Fey or Outsider(chaotic) Cold Iron is the bane to your existence, disrupting the magic that holds your life force. Cold Iron Weapons gain +4 to hit you, and they do 50% more damage when they do hit. Cold Iron weapons automatically ignore any source of damage reduction that you have gained from any source, even DR/-, DR/Epic, and DR/Mythic.

I like that for bringing it to 16 in a fair way. I have another thought that might bring it to 15 in a slightly less reasonable way, but I'm going to go ahead and spoil it, since it really shouldn't be snuck by your DM.

Claustrophobic (-1 RP): Requirements: Tiny Size or Smaller, Fly speed You need an unusual amount of space to fly around comfortably. No matter your true size, you are considered Small size when determining how much space you need in a combat square, and to determine whether you are squeezing through a space. Although this does increase your combat space, this does not give you the ability to threaten adjacent squares if you could not already threaten them.

If everyone else is also tailor-building races to 15 points, this should be fine, but I still wouldn't put this with the PHB races.

Zhentarim
2016-08-28, 09:27 PM
Hi everyone!

So i recently had the idea that i wanted to build a Pixie playable race (think Tinkerbell).
my DM 15rp as an approximate value to shoot for, as that was what most of the other races people had came out to be.

I have no problem with the limit, but in my attempt to balance things, i couldn't find a value for the "diminutive" size category. i saw on a couple forums that people believe it should be somewhere between 6-8rp. i was hoping to gain some more informed opinions.

This was what i had written for the race so far.
Trish's Pixies (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lFQbNFV79aQucxbqbt0MzD5BHqKcQqOlupdDVTDSLRc/edit)

do you feel this is a fair calculation of points(other racial skill traits adopted from the race builder)?
and do you feel 6 or 8 points is fair on the price of diminutive?

Thankies for the help ^.^

I like it a lot