PDA

View Full Version : 5E Monk

Pex
2014-08-30, 01:42 PM
Given 3E's monk's issues, I'm curious as to people's opinions of 5E's monk. My first read general impression is liking the class, but I'll listen to those who have more analysis. I do like that monk isn't MAD anymore. It is DAD for Dex and Wis. Dex is used for hit AND damage and AC. Wis is used for AC and saving throw abilities. Con is needed too for the hit points, but that's true for every class so not a distinguishing factor to me.

The one disappointing aspect is that at earlier levels at least you are better off using a weapon than your fists because weapons give a higher damage die. However, the unarmed damage isn't useless given class features allowing you to get extra unarmed attacks. +1d4 + Dex modifier damage in addition to your short sword +1d6 + Dex modifier damage is still a nice thing.

I like the archetypes. Open Hand are for the martial artist fans. You get recognizable abilities from 3E that complements the monk's main abilities. You are the weapon. Shadow are for those who just have to be ninjas. Four Elements are for those who like and want more customability than just have class abilities given to you, who want to be a "Bender", and/or just prefer a little magic.

Getting back to AC, given the 5E paradigm at first read monks not wearing armor doesn't look crippling. Monks won't have the best AC in the game, but that's ok. It will be decent enough. Monks want high Dex and Wis and don't lose class abilities for not pumping the other abilities. At first level it's not unreasonable to have AC 15, one shy of a fighter or paladin in chain mail. At higher levels the monk will likely eventually have 20 Dex and Wisdom for AC 20. The fighter or paladin will be higher only if wearing magical plate mail and wielding a magical shield. Equivalence.

Surrealistik
2014-08-30, 01:45 PM
Nice, strong, durable and versatile; competes with the Warlock for being my favourite class.

My biggest gripe is that the class depends way too much on Stunning Strike which is too centralizing and very often the best use of your Ki points.

Runner up goes to its terrible capstone which is laughably weak.

hymer
2014-08-30, 01:51 PM
Runner up goes to its terrible capstone which is laughably weak.

Well, a lot of monks will be taking two levels in fighter for the Action Surge anyway, won't they? :smallsmile:

Surrealistik
2014-08-30, 01:53 PM
Well, a lot of monks will be taking two levels in fighter for the Action Surge anyway, won't they? :smallsmile:

Sadly.

I hate that the capstone is so weak that 2 levels of Fighter is superior to it pretty much without contest.

It should just passively regenerate 1 Ki per round, or 1 Ki with a Bonus Action; something along those lines.

Shinken
2014-08-30, 01:56 PM
I have a small doubt - is there anything stopping me from dual wielding short sworts as a monk? Does that mean I get 3 attacks per round at level 1?

hymer
2014-08-30, 02:01 PM
I have a small doubt - is there anything stopping me from dual wielding short sworts as a monk? Does that mean I get 3 attacks per round at level 1?

Nothing stopping you, but it's not a great option. The main advantage to two-weapon fighting is that you get to attack once as a bonus action if you attack with your action. The extra attack, however, does not add your attack stat to the damage. As a monk, you have martial arts, which allows you to do much the same, but add your attack stat. So even when MA only deals 1d4+combat stat, it'll hopefully be better than 1d6+0.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-30, 02:04 PM
Yes, there is something stopping you from dual wielding short swords and getting three attacks at level one.

You can only use one bonus action per round. Seriously, guys.

Also do we seriously need two "let's talk about monks" threads?

golentan
2014-08-30, 02:04 PM

Both the off hand attack and the extra unarmed attack require a bonus action. You can't take more than one bonus action per round. Ya gotta choose...

Shinken
2014-08-30, 03:39 PM
Both the off hand attack and the extra unarmed attack require a bonus action. You can't take more than one bonus action per round. Ya gotta choose...

Well, that sucks.

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-30, 07:59 PM
The monk isn't just a punching fighter. They rely a lot more on mobility and utility and aren't supposed to make a bajillion attacks per round like a fighter would. See: stunning fist.

MeeposFire
2014-08-30, 11:53 PM
Well, that sucks.

NOt really though remember the monk bonus action attack gets an attribute to damage and the off hand attack would not. That is a nice bonus.

Sartharina
2014-08-31, 01:18 AM
...Monkday is still two days away.

Also do we seriously need two "let's talk about monks" threads?I think we're up to three now.