PDA

View Full Version : The GitP Board Char-Op Challenge II: Damage Dealer Faceoff

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 11:30 AM
It's that time again, guys! It's time for the Board Char-Op Challenge! This time, the focus is on dealing damage to five targets, each of which has different defenses. The one who deals the most damage to the five available targets is the winner!

The rules of the challenge:

○ The character's six base ability scores are 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, and 8. The entrant may then add any modifiers for his selected race, and then adds the four points available for levelling up.

○ The character must be 17th level (no more than 5 of which for race), and has their standard starting gold according to the Wealth By Level guidelines. In addition to this, the entry cannot use more than one third of their gold on a single item (if an item is being CREATED, you must still use the market price to determine if it's allowed or not)

○ The character's classes may be anything from the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide, Expanded Psionics Handbook, plus one (and only one) other Wizards of the Coast book of your choice. Likewise, you may use any feats or items located in the one extra book you've selected.

○ If taking any Prestige Classes, the entry must provide proof of filling the requirements at the time the class is taken.

○ No "obvious" cheese. This includes Titan loops and Pun-Pun.

○ Characters capable of crafting magical items may use the prices for item creation (instead of the sale cost) for their WBL, so long as they meet ALL of the requirements for crafting the item and they understand that ANY XP used for the creation of these items will drop their level from 17th to 16th, or possibly even down to 15th depending on how much cash they try to save themselves off the market price. This does NOT effect their actual Wealth by Level, however.

○ Entrants will have one round per target (starting in whatever position they wish, relative to their target). In addition to this one round, they have three "floater" rounds which they may use in any way they wish.

○ If a target reaches -10, any additional damage dealt to them is wasted (IE if you choose to spend four rounds Full Attacking Squishy McSofty, you'll only deal 81 points of damage).

○ Unless an effect you cause dictates otherwise, each target will stand still during their half of the round and do nothing.

○ Entrants should include the FULL information about their character, as well as a round by round breakdown of their actions. I will do the calculations for the actual attacks and report back with the results. They may attack the five targets listed below in any order they choose, but any resources (Wand charges, HP, one-use items) used on one target are lost when transferring to the next target. For example: Tywin the Dwarf has a wand of Fireball with 1 charge, which he uses against Softy McSquishy in the first round. His wand is now useless for the rest of the challenge.

○ Damage dealt will be weighed against the chance of success of the ability and judged accordingly. Death effects deal the targets HP+10 worth of damage for the purpose of judging, however they are likewise effected by the chance of success versus the chance of failure. For example, someone attacks Target 2 with a Save or Die effect which has a Fort Save DC of 27 to pass. This means he's got to roll an 11 or better. So even though the Death Attack deals 253 damage, it's only counted for 126 damage.

○ As a caveat to the above rule, chances which require a 20 or better for the contestant's roll (or that their opponent roll a 1) are discounted for the purpose of damage calculation

Here are the five targets:

TARGET 1
Squishy McSofty
Human Peasant 20
HP: 71
AC: 10
STR 10, DEX 10, CON 12(+1), INT 10, WIS 12(+1), CHA 10
REF+6 FORT+7 WILL+7
Notable Feats: None
Notable Items: Wheatbane Scythe+1 (+5 vs Wheat)

TARGET 2
Mahjik'bugar'sme
Elf Fighter 20
HP: 243 (20d10+80(Con)+48(Toughness))
AC: 51 (10 +3(Dex) +13(Fullplate) +9(Tower Shield) +5(Natural Armor) +5(Weapon) +1 (Dodge) +5 (Combat Expertise))
STR 14(+2), DEX 20(+5), CON 18(+4), INT 13(+1), WIS 10, CHA 10
REF+11 FORT+16 WILL+6
Notable Feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Toughness(x16)
Notable Items: Mithral FullPlate of Light Fortification+5, Defending Dagger+5, Mithral Tower Shield+5, Amulet of Natural Armor+5

TARGET 3
Stah'bsuhar'me
Elf Paladin 2, Monk 18
HP: 208 (2d10+18d8+100(Con)+12(Toughness))
AC: 26 (10+4(Dex)+3(Wis)+4(Monk)+5(Natural Armor)
STR 10, DEX 18(+4), CON 20(+5), INT 10, WIS 16(+3), CHA 24(+7)
REF+29 FORT+33 WILL+28
Notable Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Toughness(x4)
Notable Abilities: Spell Resistance 28, Improved Evasion, Still Mind(+2 vs Enchantment spells)
Notable Items: Amulet of Natural Armor+5, Cloak of Resistance+5

TARGET 4
No'Rohgs
Half-Orc Barbarian 20
HP 308 (20d12+160(Con)+12(Toughness))
AC 30 (10+13(Fullplate)+3(Dex)+6(Buckler)-2(Rage))
STR 20(+5), DEX 18(+4), CON 26(+8), INT 10, WIS 14(+2), CHA 10
REF+14 FORT+23 WILL+16 (Will+4 VS Enchantment)
Notable Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Toughness (x4)
Notable Abilities: Improved Uncanny Dodge, DR 5/-,
Notable Items: Cloak of Resistance+2, Mithral Fullplate+5, Bucker+5

TARGET 5
The Tarrasque (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm)

Well, that's the challenge. Entries should be posted by no later than 00:01 AM on March 16th, 2007 (Eastern Standard Time). Everyone can enter one, and only one character.

Winners of the competition will recieve a sig-trophy composed by me with their character posing on top of a base which will include the division they won and their username. They will also be given one "request an avatar at any time" mental coupon from myself which they can redeem for an avatar or sig image at a later date. (The winner of the first competition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35585) will be contacted with their reward when I get back on Sunday from my trip (yeah, I'm a jerk))

Good luck!

Draz74
2007-03-08, 02:25 PM
So, we can spend more than one round on a single target, if we didn't already kill it in one round?

... I have a feeling this contest will be utterly dominated by people using supplements that I don't own.

its_all_ogre
2007-03-08, 02:55 PM
how does target 2 have combat expertise with int 10?

Telonius
2007-03-08, 03:09 PM
A couple questions ...
Will the targets be able to attack, act, or retaliate in any way?
Where are the targets in relation to each other (i.e. do we have to move to get from target to target)?
Is the Leadership feat allowed?
Do we have to directly damage them, or would a summoned or dominated creature's damage count?
Would a familiar, druid/ranger's animal companion, or paladin's mount get to act as well?

Swordguy
2007-03-08, 03:17 PM
Rules querry: An immobile target auto-fails Reflex saving throws, yes? I mean, he can't move anywhere... (can't remember...)

Shadow
2007-03-08, 03:24 PM
I may be interested in this.
In fact I already have a level 17 character that might be appropriate from a game that died....

headwarpage
2007-03-08, 03:41 PM
A few more questions...

Races are limited to the same sources as classes, correct? (i.e., nothing from the MM unless that's the extra book we choose)
Do effects (rage, potions, whatever) carry over between targets for their full duration?

I know I had another one, but I can't remember it at the moment.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 04:22 PM
The Char-Op Challenge II AQ ('cuz they've only been asked once)

Q: So, we can spend more than one round on a single target, if we didn't already kill it in one round?
A: If you so choose. How it works is that you get one round with each target to begin with. You may opt to spend more rounds with any of the targets you wish, bearing in mind you only have three extra rounds to allocate between the five targets.

Q: Will the targets be able to attack, act, or retaliate in any way?
A: No, they will not be able to react in any way.

Q: An immobile target auto-fails Reflex saving throws, yes?
A: Depends on the manner in which they've been immobilized. As a rule, anything which reduces their effective Dexterity to 0 would auto-fail Reflex saves. Merely denying their Dexterity bonus to AC would not be enough.

Q: Where are the targets in relation to each other (i.e. do we have to move to get from target to target)?
A: No you will not. For all 8 rounds, you may begin wherever you'd like. Whatever is most beneficial to your character.

Q: Is the Leadership feat allowed?
A: Yes, with one Caveat: You only gain the cohort, and cannot utilize your other followers or any of the benefits outside of that one cohort. Likewise if you've got a companion which scales with levels due to your class (Paladin, Ranger or Druid, for example) you can't.

Q: Do we have to directly damage them, or would a summoned or dominated creature's damage count?
A: Summoned or dominated creature's damage counts.

Q: Would a familiar, druid/ranger's animal companion, or paladin's mount get to act as well?
A: Yes they would.

Q: Races are limited to the same sources as classes, correct? (i.e., nothing from the MM unless that's the extra book we choose)
A: Sorry, I should have clarified. Races from the MM are allowed as well. (I've fixed this up top, actually).

Q: Do effects (rage, potions, whatever) carry over between targets for their full duration?
A: Yes. Any effect which lasts for 8 rounds or more will effect the character for the duration of their actions. However, anything which requires an action will count against the 8-round limit.

Meat Shield
2007-03-08, 04:40 PM
Never tried a char-op challenge before, but I was just looking lovingly at the War-Hulk....

Telonius
2007-03-08, 04:50 PM
Oh, one last question ... if the target suffers a death effect or fails their fort save versus massive damage, does that count for full damage?

Variable Arcana
2007-03-08, 04:55 PM
Question: How far apart are the five targets?

relevance:
1) If one target is dominated will it be able to attack another?
2) If a contestant (or summoned beastie) has an area effect attack or the cleave feat, how many targets can be arranged to be in range?

Question: If you kill a target without causing damage (e.g. Power Word, Kill on the squishy...) do you get credit for 10+hps damage, or not?

Comment: This sounds really fun -- I look forward to seeing some of the more creative solutions.

headwarpage
2007-03-08, 06:09 PM
If you have Leadership, does damage dealt by your cohort count?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-03-08, 06:48 PM
Q: Is the Leadership feat allowed?
A: Yes, with one Caveat: You only gain the cohort, and cannot utilize your other followers or any of the benefits outside of that one cohort. Likewise if you've got a companion which scales with levels due to your class (Paladin, Ranger or Druid, for example) you can't.Well, so much for the Warchanter idea. Boo hiss.

Darion
2007-03-08, 07:22 PM
With the one round per target (+3 floating rounds)- is that 1 round of real time or one round of apparent time?

If the one optional sourcebook requires the use of rules from another sourcebook (use of any of the Eberron "action point" feats from Pg:E or RoE), is that allowed or is it barred by the "only one other book" rule?

UglyPanda
2007-03-08, 07:35 PM
Do the rounds from time stop and/or temporal acceleration count against your 8 rounds?
Could you heal your opponents and then bash them again for more points?
Do I have to attack them in order?
Do I have to attack all of them? Could I purposefully waste the round with the level 20 peasant so I could get a round buffing up for another thwack at the tarrasque?
Do I have to kill all of them?
Do I have to use actions to get from target to target?
Could I get the targets to attack each other?
Could I raise a target, and then use the feat that makes undead explode when killed?
If I heal and harm an opponent for the same amount on the same round, does any of that damage count?
If I sent someone's soul to the abyss, would any damage inflicted upon him by balors be added to my point totals?

That last one was a joke.

fallensavior
2007-03-08, 07:46 PM
Thog power attack for 1d12+486 damage!

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 08:18 PM
Hmm. A wizard 17 I think with Gate. Start a titan chain. Once you have lets say 100,000 tell them to attack. Average damage per round 60 damage per titan and at CL 20 they will beat the tarrasque's SR 45% of the time. So For 100,000 titans average damage is 60,00,000. 45% of that will affect the Tarrasque. So total damage is 27,000,000 per round.

Total damage dealt throughout the challenge is 81,00,870

I think I win. :D

And it meets all the challenges rules. They say no items that would be banned Not cheesy uses for spells.

Now for a build that actually follows the spirit of the thread. I'm thinking a charging paladin or fighter.

EDIT: Oh and ban serpent kingdoms or someone could just do Pun-Pun for an arbitrarily high amount of damage.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-08, 08:20 PM
○ Magical items must conform to the magical item creation rules, and must also take into account that obvious cheese any sane DM would houserule out (like a Ring of Truestrike)
So it's purely a question of gaming the judges then, abuse it as much as you can ... but don't cross the line. With rules that ill defined what's the point in optimizing at all?

I'd simply disallow them altogether, they are variant to begin with.

PS. disallowing a giving custom item is no more a houserule than allowing it, all custom items are purely by DM fiat who is free to set the price at whatever he wants ... the guidelines aren't rules in the customary sense.

PPS. why not reduce this contest to it's essential quality? Terrasque bashing? :) (This is where almost all the damage is going to come from.)

PPPS. are you quite sure you want to allow charged items with limited charges? (The DMG allows it for characters made at high level, but it can get a bit ridiculous ... especially with custom items.)

PPPPS. I'd disallow loops, although it might be interesting to try to do more than aleph 0 damage (ie. aleph 1/2/etc).

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 08:22 PM
The Char-Op Challenge II AQ (part 2)

Q: Oh, one last question ... if the target suffers a death effect or fails their fort save versus massive damage, does that count for full damage?
A: Yes. How I'm going to count it, is that death effects deal (target's Hit Points + 10) damage.

Q: If one target is dominated will it be able to attack another?
A: Nope.

Q: If a contestant (or summoned beastie) has an area effect attack or the cleave feat, how many targets can be arranged to be in range?
A: Just one each. They're already not attacking back, after all.

Q: If you have Leadership, does damage dealt by your cohort count?
A: Yep. And to pre-empt the question, damage dealt by animal companions or mounts count as well.

Q: With the one round per target (+3 floating rounds)- is that 1 round of real time or one round of apparent time?
A: One round of "real" time. So if you somehow manage a Time Stop at Level 17 (or an ability with a similar effect) the multiple "rounds" would count within that one round of time.

Q: If the one optional sourcebook requires the use of rules from another sourcebook (use of any of the Eberron "action point" feats from Pg:E or RoE), is that allowed or is it barred by the "only one other book" rule?
A: One sourcebook per. Sorry, but I want to keep things simple... The complex calculations I'm going to be going through to determine damage are going to be "fun" enough without having to look through multiple source books.

Q: Could you heal your opponents and then bash them again for more points?
A: If you really felt like doing so. However, with five seperate opponents you'll probably find it easier just to keep damaging your foes. (I'll be posting damage calculation rules momentarily you'll want to take a look at).

Q: Do I have to attack them in order?
A: Nope. As stated in the rules, you can choose to attack or use your floater rounds in any order you like.

Q: Do I have to attack all of them? Could I purposefully waste the round with the level 20 peasant so I could get a round buffing up for another thwack at the tarrasque?
A: If you so choose. As mentioned in the rules, you have to spend at least one round on each target but you can spend it however you like. However, I'd like to point out that I won't be discerning how you up your damage dealt overall... Softy is meant to be the one everyone kills good and dead.

Q: Do I have to kill all of them?
A: Not at all. It's likely that you WON'T kill all of them. I'd actually be pretty impressed if anyone manages to kill them.

Q: Do I have to use actions to get from target to target?
A: No.

Q: If I heal and harm an opponent for the same amount on the same round, does any of that damage count?
A: Yep. Though any damage dealt to your foe's undead corpse does NOT count.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 08:32 PM
So it's purely a question of gaming the judges then, abuse it as much as you can ... but don't cross the line. With rules that ill defined what's the point in optimizing at all?

I'd simply disallow them altogether, they are variant to begin with.

PS. disallowing a giving custom item is no more a houserule than allowing it, all custom items are purely by DM fiat who is free to set the price at whatever he wants ... the guidelines aren't rules in the customary sense.

As I'm the sole judge, I'll be fairly strict. But really, there's nothing too bad you can accomplish which relies strictly on the magical item creation RAW which is too breakable.

Hmm. A wizard 17 I think with Gate. Start a titan chain. Once you have lets say 100,000 tell them to attack. Average damage per round 60 damage per titan and at CL 20 they will beat the tarrasque's SR 45% of the time. So For 100,000 titans average damage is 60,00,000. 45% of that will affect the Tarrasque. So total damage is 27,000,000 per round.

Total damage dealt throughout the challenge is 81,00,870

I think I win. :D

And it meets all the challenges rules. They say no items that would be banned Not cheesy uses for spells.

Now for a build that actually follows the spirit of the thread. I'm thinking a charging paladin or fighter.

EDIT: Oh and ban serpent kingdoms or someone could just do Pun-Pun for an arbitrarily high amount of damage.

What's the Titan chain? I'm unfamiliar with that one. Though per the rules, only Cohorts, Mounts, or Animal Companions travel from round to round with you... And Gate is a 9th level spell, meaning your 17th level Wizard can cast it once. Twice if he gets his Intelligence up to 28.

Though they're free to make a Pun-Pun like character. They've only got 8 rounds to do all the buffing Pun-Pun requires... And as immortal as Pun-Pun grows to be, he requires a hell of a lot more than 8 rounds to be effective.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-08, 08:37 PM
What's the Titan chain? I'm unfamiliar with that one. Though per the rules, only Cohorts, Mounts, or Animal Companions travel from round to round with you... And Gate is a 9th level spell, meaning your 17th level Wizard can cast it once. Twice if he gets his Intelligence up to 28.
The Titan chains it himself, since he can also gate.

As I said in the above post, you should disallow loops altogether (unless you really like math and want to see to how high a cardinal number we can drive infinite damage).

Variable Arcana
2007-03-08, 08:52 PM
Though per the rules, only Cohorts, Mounts, or Animal Companions travel from round to round with you...
Oops... So... basically Gate and all the Summon spells are completely useless? If you spend all three bonus rounds on the same target (*cough* Tarrasque) can you keep the summoned creatures from the first round for the remaining three?

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 09:03 PM
As I'm the sole judge, I'll be fairly strict. But really, there's nothing too bad you can accomplish which relies strictly on the magical item creation RAW which is too breakable.
You can do anything with the item creation RAW. Use activated item of dimension door that activates every time a wail of the banshee effect goes off in the area. Use activated item of Wail of the banshee that activates every time the wearer DD's more than a foot.

306000 for the WoB item and 56,000 for the DD item.

Total cost is 362,000 GP and you can kill every living thing in the entire world in 1 round. Use activated items aren't limited to acting only once per round. They activate every time the activation condition is met.

Thats a bit to expensive for this challenge though so lets replace WoB with a 10th level fireball which costs 60,000 GP per the rules

You now deal an average of 30 damager per cycle and you can have an unlimited number of cycles per round. The problem is I can't beat Big T's SR even on a natural 20. So I have to make my CL 12 and that raises the cost to 72,000 GP. But Big T's immune to fire so I choose Complete Arcane as my book of choice and I create the item with energy substitution (cold).

I now hit 1 in 20 times and Big T rolls a 1 on his reflex save every 20 times.

That means every one in every 400 cycles does 30 damage. The other 399 cycles do 15 damage.

Keep up the loop for an arbitrarily long amount of time and you have won.

A Titan can use gate as a spell like ability once per day and a gated creature can act in the round it arrives. So in 1 round you get an arbitrarily large number of titans. Each one gets a CL 20 chain lighting usable at will.

Ok. You spend your 4 rounds with the other characters casting disintegrate for 34d6 damage. Then on your first round with Big T you use gate to start the titan chain. You spend your 3 floating rounds having the titans chain lighting him.

You have won.

Though they're free to make a Pun-Pun like character. They've only got 8 rounds to do all the buffing Pun-Pun requires... And as immortal as Pun-Pun grows to be, he requires a hell of a lot more than 8 rounds to be effective.
Pun-Pun takes 1 round. It uses an infinite loop to get all its power in 1 "real" round.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 09:03 PM
Oops... So... basically Gate and all the Summon spells are completely useless? If you spend all three bonus rounds on the same target (*cough* Tarrasque) can you keep the summoned creatures from the first round for the remaining three?

Pretty much. Though keep in mind, Multiple rounds vs. the Tarrasque mean it's Regeneration 40 kicks in. It's meant to be the end-all, be-all of enemy which equalizes things.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 09:05 PM
Alright, Emperor Tippy pwns my DMing. No magical item creation, no Titan Loop. And no Pun-Pun (though I could have sworn it took more than a round...)

Edit: Rules updated to reflect this. Thanks, Emperor!

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 09:09 PM
Not really lanky. I can do an arbitrarily large amount of damage to Big T for each of 3 rounds. His regeneration 40 is a joke at that point.

Well since I won via the rules in 3 different ways can I get a Trophy? :D

Douglas
2007-03-08, 09:11 PM
As I recall, Pun-Pun uses an infinite actions loop for most of the buffing. I'd have to look up the details to be sure, but the three floating rounds plus Squishy might actually be enough to set things up and trigger the infinite loop, giving him automatic one-hit kills on everyone.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 09:13 PM
Emperor... Do I need to make a rule about the "spirit" of the RAW (or something similar)?

UglyPanda
2007-03-08, 09:14 PM
I've got a question for my build. Do continuous effects due to location due harm while you're in an accelerated time frame (i.e. standing in a bonfire)?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 09:18 PM
I've got a question for my build. Do continuous effects due to location due harm while you're in an accelerated time frame (i.e. standing in a bonfire)?

Nope. But that DOES apply both ways. So even if you've got some continuous effect in an accelerated time frame, you're only dealing one round's worth of damage.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 09:19 PM
Emperor... Do I need to make a rule about the "spirit" of the RAW (or something similar)?

Spirit is interpretable. Letter isn't.

So do I get a trophy? :D

Per haps for a special catagory.

"Awarded for wining the GitP Board Char-Op Challenge II: Damage Dealer Faceoff in 3 different ways and in less then 1 day of the original post in such a way that the rules had to be rewritten."

Douglas
2007-03-08, 09:24 PM
How about "Awarded for exploiting absurd cheese in a competition where it clearly was not wanted"?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 09:32 PM
No trophy for you!

Though thanks for pointing out the loopholes.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-08, 09:35 PM
Pretty much. Though keep in mind, Multiple rounds vs. the Tarrasque mean it's Regeneration 40 kicks in. It's meant to be the end-all, be-all of enemy which equalizes things.
How does that hurt? Do we lose points for the damage our target regenerates?? (I should probably wait for the upcoming damage calculation rules...)

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 09:35 PM
Now thats not nice douglas. :)

It clearly was wanted, else the OP wouldn't have allowed custom magic items.

Oh I got another idea but I need to find a way to boost my CL by 5. So far I've found a way to boost it by 2.

Douglas
2007-03-08, 09:41 PM
Custom items with DM approval does not automatically mean cheese is wanted, ESPECIALLY with a rule like this one, preserved from before the edit by PinkysBrain's quote: "Magical items must conform to the magical item creation rules, and must also take into account that obvious cheese any sane DM would houserule out (like a Ring of Truestrike)".

PinkysBrain
2007-03-08, 09:43 PM
Oh I got another idea but I need to find a way to boost my CL by 5. So far I've found a way to boost it by 2.
Don't even need non core for that. Beads of Karma (through UMD if you have to) and the ioun stone ...

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-08, 09:53 PM
Don't even need non core for that. Beads of Karma (through UMD if you have to) and the ioun stone ...

I forgot about that one. Thanks. Working some stuff out now.

Nahal
2007-03-08, 10:24 PM
Jeez, there's always at least one. We had Rei Jin and TLN before, now this.

I wish I had the experience to throw something into the ring, but I haven't logged nearly enough time with a wizard to pull this off. Plus the last wizard I played got almost as much boosting from DM homebrew cheese as the NPCs we fought, so he wouldn't translate well. Side note, if your GM tells you to allocate 95 stat points (i.e. 55 point-buy with no cost-scaling but max 19 at lvl 1) be ready for the campaign of DOOM.

UglyPanda
2007-03-08, 10:35 PM
This build is not meant to be serious. If you think it is, you have issues.

The fictional Plane of Illumium:
Illumium is a positive-dominant plane in which a day in Illumium is a single round on the material plane. This realm was discovered after years of scrying by a sub-par cleric. You can see where this is going already.

Akuma the 17th level Cleric
Feats: Leadership

Cohort: Bard 15
Cha of 21 (27)
Items: +25 Silver tongue of lies (custom item: 62,500 gp),
Feats: persuasive, skill focus (bluff)
Skills: Bluff 18 ranks

Round 1: Bard casts glibness, Cleric casts tongues on the Bard.
Bard has +86 to bluff.
Round 2: Bard bluffs (and/or uses the suggestion ability of bluff) the Tarrasque into going with the Cleric for an experiment.
Round 3: Cleric casts a quickened plane shift into illumium with the Tarrasque while shouting "Shun Goku Satsu". He then casts plane shift out of there with his bard cohort
Round 4-8: Bard and Cleric laugh their asses off.

Tarrasque explodes on every roll of one. That's a death within the first two minutes of being in Illumium. Remember, Tarrasque continues to regenerate because he won't die until you cast wish on him. In another two minutes, he heals fully and is set up to explode again.

1440 minutes in a day, 360 explosions in a material realm round, at least 308880 damage per round. At least 1544400 damage total.

Remember, This build is not meant to be serious.

fallensavior
2007-03-08, 11:03 PM
Lets see, frenzied berzerker 10 with 36 str. Power attack for 17. gets a crit with +5 icy burst acidic burst thundering 3d6 x4 crit weapon = 42 (weapon) + 76 (str) + 272 (power attack) + 20 (weapon enhancement) + 6d10 (33) (Bursts) + 12.5 (thundering) + 8 (weapon specialization) = 463.5 average damage.

This is actually feasible since there would be a min. of 25 attacks and possibility to take power critical 4 times with this build.

Anyway I think I win for most damage in one attack.:smallbiggrin:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 11:06 PM
fallensavior... How do you get the 36 Str? How do you achieve that build? How are you attacking Targets 1-5? I need this information to count the entry.

Draz74
2007-03-08, 11:21 PM
Pun-Pun takes 1 round. It uses an infinite loop to get all its power in 1 "real" round.

Pun-Pun sure requires more than one splatbook source, though. Serpent Kingdoms, which is pretty useless for anything else, plus some others.

AmberVael
2007-03-08, 11:39 PM
Erm...
Is it bad that I've already figured out a build that looks like it will kill them all, no problem?
And its fairly simple?
As in- doesn't require any extra books?
I'm hoping I'm just missing something...

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-08, 11:50 PM
Go for it, Vael.

Just someone make an actual entry. Pleeease?

AmberVael
2007-03-08, 11:53 PM
Oh I'll enter, definitely.
I just don't want to post it here so people can see it. :smalltongue:
And no worries. It isn't anything cheesy... which is why it disturbs me...

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 12:05 AM
Oh, and Emperor Tippy...

For your DD/Wail of the Banshee item.

Two things:

Moving 1 foot with Dimension Door would not be an action (and thus, is not covered by the use-activation rules) unless you only choose to move a foot with the Dimension Door. Likewise, an item which casts Wail of the Banshee could only do so once per round, thanks to the description of WotB which states, amongst other things, that WotB has a casting time of 1 Standard Action. Likewise, Dimension Door has a casting time of 1 Standard Action.

Now, neither of the items you described has anything which allows the items to somehow bypass the standard action use. Even setting that aside, you can only move so far with a Dimension Door (so your kill the world in a round thing doesn't work).

Hell... There's nothing in the rules which allows you to specify contingency-style effects as part of a magic item's activation. You can only make the effect activate when the item (and not effects near the item) is used. For example...

This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.
The only exception is "If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all" which would fit into swinging a sword, drinking a potion, etc.

Sorry, those items you mentioned just don't work.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-09, 12:19 AM
For your DD/Wail of the Banshee item.

Two things:

Moving 1 foot with Dimension Door would not be an action (and thus, is not covered by the use-activation rules) unless you only choose to move a foot with the Dimension Door. Likewise, an item which casts Wail of the Banshee could only do so once per round, thanks to the description of WotB which states, amongst other things, that WotB has a casting time of 1 Standard Action. Likewise, Dimension Door has a casting time of 1 Standard Action.
Incorrect. A use activated item isn't limited to one action per round.

Now, neither of the items you described has anything which allows the items to somehow bypass the standard action use. Even setting that aside,
you can only move so far with a Dimension Door (so your kill the world in a round thing doesn't work).With 1 use of DD you can only move so far. It used used again every time WoB goes off near it.

Hell... There's nothing in the rules which allows you to specify contingency-style effects as part of a magic item's activation. You can only make the effect activate when the item (and not effects near the item) is used. For example...

This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.The only exception is "If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all" which would fit into swinging a sword, drinking a potion, etc.But you get to define what the use of the item is. You coudl make an item that does "when hit do X" and it would take no time at all as it is part of another action.

The point is that you cast DD once to get the chain going and then the WoB goes off (the activation effect is its wearer being DDed somewhere more than a foot away). The DD ring then activates when a WoB goes off in range (like the armor being hit above) and its activation time is subsumed by the WoB's action.

The circle repeats. All of it is part of your standard action DD that started the chain.

Sorry, those items you mentioned just don't work.CustServe disagrees. And Look at my above explanation for why you are wrong.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 12:27 AM
If that's your opinion...

Though let's confine this to another thread or PM from now on. The above is just my ruling as far as this thread goes.

AmberVael
2007-03-09, 12:29 AM
Hmm...
If you were to do something like Dominate a creature, could you make it take actions (not to attack another one, but to simply take actions), or will they never take actions?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 12:34 AM
Hmm...
If you were to do something like Dominate a creature, could you make it take actions (not to attack another one, but to simply take actions), or will they never take actions?

PM me with details... That sounds like something specific enough that it requires a YES/NO without revealing what it is.

Douglas
2007-03-09, 12:40 AM
I don't think I'll actually make a build for this, but if you do something like an augmented Death Urge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/deathUrge.htm), does the damage the target inflicts on itself in rounds after the first (where you've already gone on to the next target) count? Or more generally, does damage over time that continues beyond the rounds you're actively attacking a creature count?

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 12:42 AM
I don't think I'll actually make a build for this, but if you do something like an augmented Death Urge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/deathUrge.htm), does the damage the target inflicts on itself in rounds after the first (where you've already gone on to the next target) count? Or more generally, does damage over time that continues beyond the rounds you're actively attacking a creature count?

Yep.

Death Urge would essentially be treated like a Save or Die spell (except as regards Saves and such) and spells like Acid Arrow would be calculated to include damage inflicted after the initial round.

The Gilded Duke
2007-03-09, 12:42 AM
The Elan Brothers of Psionic Stancy Warbladish Manifestations of the Iron Raven Variety

---This Entry is Complete----

Extra Book: Tome of Battle

Bryan is a 17th level Warblade Elan focusing mainly on Iron Heart and White Raven tactical manuvers. This sequence of actions assumes that he begins manifested.

Bryan has his brother Ryan, a 15th level Warblade Elan as his cohort.

All Extra Combat rounds will be used on the Tarrasque, for a total of four rounds. Assuming no ones are rolled on attack and mininum damage is done the Tarrasque is still hit for more then 868 damage. (Total HP +10)

As the different combats are different combats the various maneuvers are refreshed at the beginning of each one.

The Tarrasque

First Round:

Initiative: Bryan the Elder tries to go first before the Tarrasque. If he fails his initiative check he uses the luck blade to try again.

Bryan holds his action until the Tarrasque acts (War Leader's Charge the Tarrasque's inaction)

Action 1.A

Bryan and Ryan expend their psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Bryan and Ryan are both in Stance- Leading the Charge (White Raven +32 damage on charge total)
Bryan uses War Leader's Charge (Both Charge target, Bryan + 50 Damage, Ryan +25 damage)
Both use power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 15 and 17 points of BAB.
Ryan uses White Raven Tactics to let Bryan act again this turn on Ryan's initiative -1.

Bryan: +32 Damage Stance, +50 War Leader, +34 Power Attack, +19, 1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Charge-- 133 +2d8+6d6 on non-crit

-The Tarrasque Regenerates 40 between Bryan and Ryan's Actions-

+32 Damage Stance, +25 War Leader, 30 power attack +9, 1d8 +2d6 Vicious +2d6 Charge)
94+2d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.B
Bryan takes a move action to psionically focus.
Bryan uses White Raven Tactics to let Ryan act again this turn on Bryan's initiative -1.
Bryan expends his psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Bryan uses power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 17 points of BAB
Bryan uses Strike of Perfect Clarity to do +100 damage.
Bryan uses Instant Clarity to regain Psionic Focus

Bryan: +100 Strike, +34 Power Attack, +19,1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, -- 151 +1d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.1
Ryan takes a swift action to switch to Tactics of the Wolf Stance (+7 Damage for self and allies on flanked targets)
Ryan takes a move action to psionically focus
Ryan expends his psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack
Ryan uses power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 15 points of BAB
Ryan uses Swarming Assult, Upon hit Bryan gets an extra attack on target.

+7 Damage stance, 30 power attack, +9 Damage bonus, 1d8 +2d6 Vicious)
46+1d8+2d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.2
Bryan expends psionic focus to make a touch attack.
Bryan spends 17 BAB to raise damage by 34
+7 Damage Stance, +19 Damage Bonus, +1d8 +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Bane) -- 26 + 34 + 1d8 +4d6

Round One- 486 +6d8 20d6

Later Rounds

-The Tarrasque regenerates 40 before Bryan and Ryans actions-

Action 2.A

Bryan and Ryan use a move action to regain psionic focus.
Bryan uses a swift action to recover white raven tactics.
Bryan and Ryan expend Psionic Focus to make a touch attack.
Ryan
Both use power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 15 and 17 points of BAB.
Ryan uses White Raven Strike +4d6 Opponent FlatFooted one round.
Bryan uses Flanking Maneuver Causing Ryan to gain an additional attack.
Ryan uses a Swift action to regain psionic focus.

19+7+34+1d8+4d6
+9+7+30+1d8+6d6

2.B
Ryan expends his psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Ryan uses power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 15 points of BAB.

+9+7+30+1d8+2d6

-The Tarrasque Regenerates 40 before Bryan and Ryan's Actions-

3.A
Bryan and Ryan spend a move action regaining psionic focus.
Bryan and Ryan expend psionic focus to make a single strike as a touch attack.
Bryan and Ryan use power attack with a longsword wielded two handed sacrificing 15 and 17 BAB
As a swift action Ryan recovers White Raven Tactics.
Bryan uses White Raven Tactics to give Ryan an additional action this turn at Bryan's initiative -1.
Bryan uses White Raven Strike to do +4d6 Damage
Ryan uses Tactical Strike to do +2d6

+19+7+34+1d8+8d6
+9+7+30+1d8+4d6

3.B
Ryan takes a move action to gain psionic focus.
Ryan expends psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Ryan gives up 15 points of BAB for power attack
Ryan Replenishes Expended Manuvers.

+9+7+30+1d8+2d6

-The Tarrasque regenerates 40 before Bryan and Ryan's actions-

4.A
Ryan and Bryan take a move action to gain psionic Focus
Ryan and Bryan expend psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Ryan and Bryan give up 15 and 17 points of BAB for power attack
Bryan Replenishes Expended Manuvers
Ryan uses White Raven Strike +4d6 Flatfooted on target
Ryan uses White Raven Tactics on Bryan.

19+7+34+1d8+4d6
9+7+30+1d8+6d6

4.B
Bryan takes a move action to gain psionic focus.
Bryan expends psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Bryan gives up 17 points of BAB for power attack.
Bryan uses Stroke of Perfect Clarity to do an extra 100 damage
Bryan uses White Raven Tactics to give Ryan an additional action this turn at Bryan's inititative -1.

19+100+7+34+1d8+4d6

-----570 +9d8 +40d6
Mininum Damage- 1,131
Tarrasque Regenerates-160 in Four Rounds
At this point in round four Tarrasque is at the mininum at -113

4.C
Ryan uses Last Wish of Ring of Wishes to kill the Tarrasque.

Stah'bsuhar'me (The Paladin Monk)

First Round:

Action 1.A

Bryan and Ryan expend their psionic focus to make a single attack as a touch attack.
Bryan and Ryan are both in Stance- Leading the Charge (White Raven +32 damage on charge total)
Bryan uses War Leader's Charge (Both Charge target, Bryan + 50 Damage, Ryan +25 damage)
Ryan uses White Raven Tactics to let Bryan act again this turn on Ryan's initiative -1.

Bryan: +32 Damage Stance, +50 War Leader, +19, 1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Charge-- 99+2d8+6d6 on non-crit

+32 Damage Stance, +25 War Leader, +9, 1d8 +2d6 Vicious +2d6 Charge)
64+2d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.B
Bryan uses White Raven Tactics to let Ryan act again this turn on Bryan's initiative -1.

Bryan: +100 Strike, +19,1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, -- 117 +1d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.1
Ryan takes a swift action to switch to Tactics of the Wolf Stance (+7 Damage for self and allies on flanked targets)

+7 Damage stance, +9 Damage bonus, 1d8 +2d6 Vicious)
16+1d8+2d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.2

+7 Damage Stance, +19 Damage Bonus, +1d8 +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Bane) -- 26 + 1d8 +4d6

Round One- 322 +6d8 20d6

(218 possible)

Mahjik'bugar'sme (Elf Fighter)

First Round:

Action 1.A

Bryan: +32 Damage Stance, +50 War Leader, +19, 1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Charge-- 99+2d8+6d6 on non-crit

64+2d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.B

Bryan: +100 Strike, +19,1d8, +2d6 Bane, +2d6 Vicious, -- 117 +1d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.1

16+1d8+2d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.2

+7 Damage Stance, +19 Damage Bonus, +1d8 +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Bane) -- 26 + 1d8 +4d6

Round One- 322 +6d8 20d6

Only 253 Possible

Squishy McSoftey Human Peasant

First Round:

Action 1.A

Bryan: +32 Damage Stance, +50 War Leader, +19, 1d8, +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Charge-- 99+2d8+6d6 on non-crit

64+2d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.B

Bryan: +100 Strike, +19,1d8, +2d6 Vicious, -- 117 +1d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.1

16+1d8+2d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.2

+7 Damage Stance, +19 Damage Bonus, +1d8 +2d6 Vicious) -- 26 + 1d8 +4d6

Round One- 322 +6d8 14d6

Only 81 possible.

No'Rohgs Half-Orc Barbarian

First Round:

Action 1.A

Bryan: +32 Damage Stance, +50 War Leader, +19, 1d8, +2d6 Vicious, +2d6 Charge-- 99+2d8+6d6 on non-crit

64+2d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.B

Bryan: +100 Strike, +19,1d8, +2d6 Vicious, -- 117 +1d8+4d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.1

16+1d8+2d6 on non-crit

Action 1.C.2

+7 Damage Stance, +19 Damage Bonus, +1d8 +2d6 Vicious) -- 26 + 1d8 +4d6

Round One- 322 +6d8 14d6

Only 318 possible.

Final Total

The Tarrasque regenerates once each round (between actions first round, before actions next three rounds). This gives him a possible extra of 160 damage dealt to him.

This adds to his hit points of 858+10
Damage was dealt in excess of this (and the Tarrasque was wished to death too, bonus points?)

The Tarrasque counts for 1028 points.
Stah'bsuhar'me counts for 218 points
Mahjik'Buggurs'Me counts for 253 points
No'Rohgs counts for 213 points.
-----------------------------------
Total of 1,712 points

The Gilded Duke
2007-03-09, 12:45 AM
Bryan the Elder
Strength: 32 (+4 Level, +6 Belt, +4 Manual) + 11
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 8
Wisdom: 16
Intelligence: 12
Charisma: 18 (+6 Cloak)

HP: 91
AC: 15
Armor: Rhino Hide Armor (+2d6 on Charge)

BAB: +17/+12/+7/+2 Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +8
Maneuvers Known: 12 (5 Stone Heart Min, 5 White Raven Min)
Manuevers Readied: 6
Stances Known: 4

Longsword Attack (Two Handed): Bane in parenthesis
+29(+31)/+24(+26)/+19(+21)/+14(+16) 1d8 +19 +2d6, (+2d6), 17-20 x2

Double Damage and +2d6 on Charge
Power Attack: -17 BAb + 32 Damage

Readied Maneuvers: (Two more to Pick)
-Strike of Perfect Clarity: Stone +100 Damage
-War Leader's Charge: Allies within 30 feet charge as immediate action, +50 damage self, +25 damage ally.
-White Raven Tactics- Ally goes at your initiative-1 this round
-Swarming Assult- Allies attack target if you hit
-White Raven Strike +4d6 opponent flatfooted
-Flanking Manuever Strike hits target, allies get free attack

Stances Used:
Leading the Charge Stance: +Manifester Level on Charge Damage for self and allies.
Tactics of the Wolf Stance: +1/2 Manifester level on damage to flanked targets for self and allies.

Feats:
Instant Clarity (swift action to psionically focus 3x day)
Psionic Weapon
Deep Impact
Leadership
Power Attack
Sudden Recovery
One unselected Feat

Four Remaining Bonus Feats

Skills:
20 Concentration, +19 on Concentration checks (need 15 for focus)
1 Ride
Other Skills Don't Matter

Ryan the Younger (Assuming same stats)
Strength: 20
Dexterity 8
Stamina 10
Intelligence 16
Wisdom 13
Charisma 12

HP:96
AC: 14
Armor: Rhino's Hide

+15/+11/+6/+1
Fort +10 Reflex +4 Will +6,
11 powers, 6 at time, 3 stances

Longsword Attack: +21/+16/+9/+6 1d8 + 9 +2d6 17-20x2

+2d6 on a charge
15 BAB of Power Attack +30 Damage

Readied Manuvers(4 more to pick)
-White Raven Tactics- Ally goes at your initiative-1 this round
-Swarming Assult- Allies attack target if you hit
-White Raven Strike +4d6 opponent flatfooted
-Flanking Manuever Strike hits target, allies get free attack
-Tactical Strike- +2d6
-Mountain Hammer +2d6 ignore DR

Stances Used:
Leading the Charge Stance: +Manifester Level on Charge Damage for self and allies.
Tactics of the Wolf Stance: +1/2 Manifester level on damage to flanked targets for self and allies.

Feats:
Instant Clarity (swift action to psionically focus 3x day)
Psionic Weapon
Deep Impact
Power Attack
Sudden Recovery
One Extra Feat
Three Remaining Bonus Feats

Skills:
Concentation +18
Ride +1

Purchaces
Total Remaining Funds: 16,000 to spend on healing and mounts
Cloak of Charisma +6
Belt of Strength +6
Manual of Gainful Exercize +4
Rhino Hide Armor x 2
Masterwork Elfbane, Flaming, Icey, Keen, Longsword
Masterwork Magical Beastbane, Flaming, Icey, Keen Longsword
Ring of Three Wishes (Only one Left)
Masterwork Lucky Dagger
Masterwork Lucky Dagger

All Stat Boost items are on Bryan. Bryan always uses the appropriate bane weapon except against the peasant and the orc, in which he uses an innapropriate weapon (Bane doesn't come into effect) Ryan always uses an innapropriate Bane weapon. Both Bryan and Ryan wear Rhino's Hide armor. On a failed attack roll Luck is used.

AmberVael
2007-03-09, 01:06 AM
I assume it would be an entirely reasonable request to take an Orange Ioun Stone (+1 Caster level, 30,000 GP) and convert it to grant +1 Manifester Level instead of caster level?

The Gilded Duke
2007-03-09, 01:33 AM
I assume it would be an entirely reasonable request to take an Orange Ioun Stone (+1 Caster level, 30,000 GP) and convert it to grant +1 Manifester Level instead of caster level?

If not, and you can spare a feat and use the complete psionic you can use expanded knowledge to get psionic death knell. (It's on one of the mantle's power lists, and therfore is expanded knowledgeable)

The great thing about psionic death knell is that it keeps stacking up. Not sure how you would get the people to kill for this challenge though.

Solo
2007-03-09, 01:39 AM
If you wanted to be quick about it, you could always conjure up a lot of anti-Osmium via Major Creation.

I believe that it has been calculated that you can destroy a planet with the explosion with a 17 level caster?

Douglas
2007-03-09, 01:55 AM
Hmm, Warblade with two Keen scimitars (or any one-handed weapon with 18-20 crit range), Blood in the Water stance, Raging Mongoose boost, Great Cleave, and a big sack of rats. First round, drop the rats out of the sack (have a cohort do this if necessary), attack one, keeping cleaving until you miss, and repeat with each attack. Four attacks from BAB, three offhand with all TWF feats, one from a speed weapon, Haste, or a similar effect, and four more from Raging Mongoose for a total of 12 normal attacks. Each one will cleave through 19 rats on average before getting a nat 1, and 6 of those will be crits. 12*6 = 72 crits total, giving you +72 to attack and damage from Blood in the Water until you go a full minute without scoring a crit. Add full Power Attack because it doesn't matter any more, and you have +89 damage on top of any other bonuses you might have, and you have a huge number of attacks to use it with, all of which will hit even the high-AC guy on anything but a 1.:smallbiggrin:

I would never allow this to actually work in any campaign I ran, but it works with RAW and at least it isn't as cheesy as infinite loops.

AmberVael
2007-03-09, 02:01 AM
Hm.

How will the percentages work with something like a fireball?
Because it always works it just doesn't always deal full damage because they can save.

Taking away percentages from something that has already been reduced by half seems wrong.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 08:17 AM
If you wanted to be quick about it, you could always conjure up a lot of anti-Osmium via Major Creation.

I believe that it has been calculated that you can destroy a planet with the explosion with a 17 level caster?

Can't do it. Trust me. That was my first idea, since anti-osmium is my toy. However, Major Creation is a 10-minute casting time, and there's no custom item-building anymore that will enable me to drop it down (I can't recall if there's any other ability that would enable me to drop a 10-min casting time to 1 round...but I seriously doubt it).

Also, while RAW supports my being able to use the Eschew Materials feat to create A-O without a material sample, and sane DM would smack it down in a hurry, so I figured it was disqualified.

AmberVael
2007-03-09, 08:39 AM
Can't do it. Trust me. That was my first idea, since anti-osmium is my toy. However, Major Creation is a 10-minute casting time, and there's no custom item-building anymore that will enable me to drop it down (I can't recall if there's any other ability that would enable me to drop a 10-min casting time to 1 round...but I seriously doubt it).

Also, while RAW supports my being able to use the Eschew Materials feat to create A-O without a material sample, and sane DM would smack it down in a hurry, so I figured it was disqualified.
There are two abilities.
Spells, actually.
Wish and Limited Wish will reduce it to their casting times.

You could also buy scrolls of Major Creation, assuming we are playing with the "all scrolls have the same casting time" which I personally disagree with, but most people disagree with me, so... :smallwink:

Nahal
2007-03-09, 08:55 AM
Of course your next trick is surviving the blast wave, which we can assume will be arbitrarily high to balance out the inherent cheesiness of conjuring up antimatter. Then you have to have ANOTHER wish to keep Big T dead.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 08:58 AM
There are two abilities.
Spells, actually.
Wish and Limited Wish will reduce it to their casting times.

You could also buy scrolls of Major Creation, assuming we are playing with the "all scrolls have the same casting time" which I personally disagree with, but most people disagree with me, so... :smallwink:

Well, hell. All right everyone. I've got dibs on the antimatter cheese. :smallbiggrin:

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 08:59 AM
Of course your next trick is surviving the blast wave, which we can assume will be arbitrarily high to balance out the inherent cheesiness of conjuring up antimatter. Then you have to have ANOTHER wish to keep Big T dead.

Pfft. Contingency plane shift. then spend a round shifting back.

Nahal
2007-03-09, 09:01 AM
Though this is also precisely the sort of behaviour that TLB will likely say violates the spirit of the competiton.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 09:05 AM
Oh, absolutely. That's why I wasn't going for it in the first place (was going for mortalhunter/frenzied beserker combo). Still, can't hurt to check, right?

AmberVael
2007-03-09, 09:20 AM
Still, can't hurt to check, right?
Sure it can!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/firegenasi-1.gif
*magic spoon THWACK*

Anyways... yeah, I think a psion would be well equipped for this challenge.
Very well equipped.
Of course, I think psionics work best for nearly everything, so it may be bias,

Variable Arcana
2007-03-09, 09:51 AM
Death Urge would essentially be treated like a Save or Die spell (except as regards Saves and such) and spells like Acid Arrow would be calculated to include damage inflicted after the initial round.

Hmm... I can already smell the cheese....

Wall of Stone + Decanter of Endless Water == drowning (eventually)

or

Gate (Cornugon), Command: "Cornugon, stab Stah'bsuhar'me with that infernally-wounding tail of yours."
(Worse.. I could swear I've seen a magic item or prestige class or feat or spell somewhere that duplicates that power...)

(Does 2 damage per round until a heal check or magical healing close the wound...)

And don't get me started on Contagion...

((I'm assuming all of these would be cheese-ruled out... just saying, if the damage doesn't have to be inflicted in the 5+3 rounds of the contest, you're going to see many more cheesy scenarios...))

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 11:20 AM
Board Char-Op Challenge AQ (Part 3)

Q: I assume it would be an entirely reasonable request to take an Orange Ioun Stone (+1 Caster level, 30,000 GP) and convert it to grant +1 Manifester Level instead of caster level?
A: Go for it. Sounds fair to me.

Q: How will the percentages work with something like a fireball? Because it always works it just doesn't always deal full damage because they can save.
A: Oh, that's easy. I'll be averaging the chance of failure versus the chance of success, and the results of each.

For example, Let's say we have a character with Fire Resistance 10 (we don't, but this is just as an example). Someone casts a Maximized Fireball on him, and he lacks Evasion or Improved Evasion so he takes either 50 or 20 damage (after the Fire Resistance 10). Let's call the chance of success vs the chance of failure 50/50 to make the math easy... Which leaves the final damage of that maximized Fireball at 35. If the same character had Evasion the result would have been 25 (50 and 0), and if he had Improved Evasion the result would have been 13 (25 and 0).

Does that answer your question?

Q: If you wanted to be quick about it, you could always conjure up a lot of anti-Osmium via Major Creation. I believe that it has been calculated
that you can destroy a planet with the explosion with a 17 level caster?
A: Good idea in theory. Blowing up the planet would certainly deal enough damage that you'd probably annihilate anyone... There are a few problems with that, though.

1) Damage caps out for each target at the maximum HP for the Target, plus 10 for dying and death. So the max you'd get out of this is a few hundred HP.
2) Resources (including your HP) are carried over. Unfortunately if you're dead, you can't exactly continue to damage others. You then have one killed foe and four alive ones, which will probably lose you the competition right there.
3) Have fun explaining how your character knows what anti-osmium is when the technological level of Greyhawk is so far under Earth's. Plus, the spell says nothing about creating anti-matter anyway. It's very specific about creating matter, so you'd have to have a custom spell to create anti-matter. D&D Physics don't equal real physics, so you'd need a seperate spell to do this. Have fun convincing me a Major UnCreation spell would be balanced.

Q: Wall of Stone + Decanter of Endless Water == drowning (eventually) or
Gate (Cornugon), Command: "Cornugon, stab Stah'bsuhar'me with that infernally-wounding tail of yours." And don't get me started on Contagion...
A: Not cheese-ruled out... But keep in mind most of these characters are 20th level. While they won't specificly react to your presence, they also won't just sit there until they die due to a minor wound. I'd rule in the case of wounding effects the secondary effects would be tempered by the required skill check (in this case, a DC 10 Heal check). The secondary damage is more for effects like (as mentioned) Acid Arrow spells have the potential to deal secondary damage for a set period of time.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 11:33 AM
Board Char-Op Challenge AQ (Part 3)

Q: If you wanted to be quick about it, you could always conjure up a lot of anti-Osmium via Major Creation. I believe that it has been calculated
that you can destroy a planet with the explosion with a 17 level caster?
A: Good idea in theory. Blowing up the planet would certainly deal enough damage that you'd probably annihilate anyone... There are a few problems with that, though.

1) Damage caps out for each target at the maximum HP for the Target, plus 10 for dying and death. So the max you'd get out of this is a few hundred HP.
2) Resources (including your HP) are carried over. Unfortunately if you're dead, you can't exactly continue to damage others. You then have one killed foe and four alive ones, which will probably lose you the competition right there.
3) Have fun explaining how your character knows what anti-osmium is when the technological level of Greyhawk is so far under Earth's. Plus, the spell says nothing about creating anti-matter anyway. It's very specific about creating matter, so you'd have to have a custom spell to create anti-matter. D&D Physics don't equal real physics, so you'd need a seperate spell to do this. Have fun convincing me a Major UnCreation spell would be balanced.

Just to be an arse... :wink:

Anti-osmium IS a metal, and the Major Creation spell DOES specify that it allows you to create any metal of which you have a sample. With the AM trick, you use the Eschew Materials feat, as there is no gp listed for either anti-matter or Osmium.

And there was nothing mentioned anywhere about caster familiarity with the material being created.

As for the problem of losing HP. Well, contingency plane shift: upon casting of Major Creation within 10' of my location (which is an extremely simple condition, as I control it). Then Plane Shift back. Boom, done.

All that said, I'm just being an arse, and am not going to actually do this. Heck, I'd drop rocks/cows on any PC who tried it in my game...

I'll just go back to my BoVD now. :biggrin:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 11:41 AM
You know, for the third challenge I'm just going to go ahead and state that if the explanation involves the words "Cycle" "Pun-pun" "Anti-matter", or would involve the death of catgirls, it's assumed to be disallowed. Seems easier than trying to counter everyone. :roy:

Have fun with the BoVD though... Lord knows I have.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 11:54 AM
You know, for the third challenge I'm just going to go ahead and state that if the explanation involves the words "Cycle" "Pun-pun" "Anti-matter", or would involve the death of catgirls, it's assumed to be disallowed. Seems easier than trying to counter everyone. :roy:

Have fun with the BoVD though... Lord knows I have.

I'd put "infinite" in there as well, but yeah....you're probably right.

headwarpage
2007-03-09, 02:07 PM
○ As a caveat to the above rule, chances which require a 20 or better for the contestant's roll (or that their opponent roll a 1) are discounted for the purpose of damage calculation.

What about removing the "auto success/failure" from rolls of 1 or 20 altogether? Has the same effect as above, but also removes the 5% miss chance from attacking Squishy McSofty.

As it stands now, if each of my attacks does 100 damage if it hits, and the only way I can not hit is to roll a 1, I would only get credit for 95 damage because of the 5% chance of rolling that 1 (if I'm understanding the rules correctly). Hardly seems fair.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 02:37 PM
Actually, that's exactly what that caveat means, headwarpage: Anything which needs anything but a one is counted for full, and anything which needs a 20 to work count for nothing.

headwarpage
2007-03-09, 05:18 PM
Ok, wasn't clear on whether it worked both ways, or just when it was to my disadvantage.

The Gilded Duke
2007-03-09, 05:51 PM
The Elan Brothers of Psionic Stancy Warbladish Manifestations of the Iron Raven Variety are complete!

Total Damage Dealt: 1,712

Gained an extra 160 damage by playing with initiative and the tarrasque's regeneration.

okpokalypse
2007-03-09, 06:39 PM
Here's a quick one off the top of my head (going the DD caster route).

[Utilizing Core + Complete Mage]

Human Conjurer 7 / Master Specialist 10

Base Stats: 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 18 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha

Items (DMG L17 Starting Gold: 340,000):
- Ring of Divine Reason (+6 Int [Sacred]) 72,000 gpv
- Headband of Intellect (+6 Int [Enhance]) 36,000 gpv
- Gloves of Dexterity (+6 Dex [Enhance]) 36,000 gpv
- Rod of Meta-Magic Maximize, Lesser (2) 28,000 gpv
- Rod of Meta-Magic Quicken, Lesser 35,000 gpv
- Orange Ioun Stone 30,000 gpv
- Bracers of Accuracy (+5 Ranged Attacks) 40,000 gpv
- Ring of Magic Item Proficiency (+10 UMD Skill) 10,000 gpv *

* This is used to set the Contingency Effect (via scroll of Heal).

Pertinent Bonuses Gained from Master Specialist:
- +2 CL
- Quicken Conjuration Spell 3/Day

Variant: Focused Specialist (Complete Mage, p34)

This allows me, as a Specialist Wizard, to get 1 Less General Spell per Level and get 2 Extra School Spells.

Feats:
- School Focus: Conjuration (H)
- Empower Spell (L1)
- Maximize Spell (L3)
- Meta-Magic School Focus: Conjuration (L6)
- Arcane Thesis: Melf's Unicorn Arrow (L9)
- Twin Spell (L12)
- Quick Draw (L15)

Spells Per Day (Normal + School per Level):
6+3 (1st), 6+3 (2nd), 6+3 (3rd), 6+3 (4th), 5+3 (5th), 5+3 (6th), 4+3 (7th), 3+3 (8th), 1+3 (9th)

Memorized Spells (of Importance):
- 9th: Wish
- 9th: Empowered, Maximized, Twinned Melf's Unicorn Arrow x3
- 8th: Greater Celerity x3
- 8th: Empowered, Maximized, Twinned Melf's Unicorn Arrow x3 *
- 7th: Empowered, Twinned Melf's Unicorn Arrow x3

* Utilizes Meta-Magic School Focus to Reduce the +SL of one MM by 1.

Pre-Combat Effects:
- Contingency (Heal) when < 50 HP or Stunned / Dazed.
- Fly / Greater Invis would be nice, but completely un-necessary.

Actions:

Round 1 (150' + Away from Targets)
- Quick Draw Meta-Magic Maximize Rod (Free Action)
- Swift (via PrC) L7 (+ Max Rod) Melf's.
- Standard L7 (+ Max Rod) Melf's.
- Celerity, Greater (Immediate Action)
- Swift (via PrC) L7 (+ Max Rod) Melf's.
- Standard L8 Melf's

* Each Melf's Creates 10 Arrows Doing 24 Damage - 40 Arrows Total. Arrows can be split to Strike Multiple Targets per the spell.
Targets:
- Squishy, 4 Arrows (96 Total Damage; 72 w/ 1 Miss)
- Mahjik'bugar'sme, 12 Arrows (288 Total Damage; 264 w/ 1 Miss)
- Stah'bsuhar'me, 10 Arrows (240 Total Damage; 216 w/ 1 Miss)
- No'Rohgs, 14 Arrows (336 Total Damage; 312 w/ 1 Miss)

No Target has a Touch AC > 21, and my Attack is +20. So hits are 95% probable. Missing once on any 1 will not leave them standing. Also, Because it's a ranged touch, Crits happen.
So Round 1 should kill have a 99%+ Probability of killing all 4 Targets.
When the Daze Effect from Celerity Kicks in, the Heal gets rid of it, allowing me to act in Round 2.

Round 2:
- Quick Draw Quicken Rod (Free Action)
- Put Away Maximize Rod (Move Action)
- Swift (via Rod) L8 Melf's.
- Standard L8 Melf's.
- Celerity, Greater (Immediate Action)
- Swift (via Rod) L9 Melf's.
- Standard L9 Melf's.

Now I know someone's ready to say, "Hey! You need a Greater Quicken Rod!" No I don't. It's a Level-3 Spell. Meta-Magic specifically states it doesn't boost the level of the spell, just the slot it's cast from. Only a Heightened Spell is considered a higher Spell-Level. Thus, it's a Level-3 Spell, and a Lesser Quickened Rod works.
Target:
- The Tarrasque, 40 Arrows (960 Total Damage)

The spell is neither Ray, Cone, Line or Magic Missile, so the Carapace doesn't affect it. The spell is not subject to SR or Saves. The Tarrasque's Touch AC is 5, so it's a 95% hit. 1 out of 20 Should Miss, 1 out of 20 Should Crit.
The Tarrasque should realistically be around 100 HP down, so I'll just Wish on my next action to really kill it - since it won't have time to regenerate enough by then.And that's about it.

2 Rounds they're all down (Should be about 1920 Total Damage Done), and after I come out of my Daze from the 2nd Celerity, I Wish the Tarrasque Dead. Decent?

If I were to ditch the Quick Draw (Unnecessary Feat, but I like the flavor) and just held a Rod in each has standard, I could also have a Cohort that could duplicate this, doing the full 1920 in 1 Round between the both of em. I didn't want to go the Cohort route though, since it smacks of more cheese than already presented... After all, 1 Feat that doubles your damage output and doesn't actually cost anything... Kinda messed up.

Cohort Usage...

If I were to utilize the Cohort, it would, in essence, be the same PC as above, at L15. Conjurer 5 / Master Specialist 10. With his CL Boosts, he's effectively using Melf's at the necessary CL to Max Damage, and even using NPC wealth, he's got more than enough Int to memorize the pertinent damage-doing spells and purchase lesser Rods for enhancement.

Round 1 would do 1920 Damage (give or take 5%), TPK'ing all Enemies. Including the Tarrasque. A Wish the 2nd Round would finish it off, or they could both unload again to get the total damage on the Tarrasque up around 2880 (~3800 Total Enemy Damage in 2 Rounds) - making it take 5 Minutes to Regen to 0 HP. But that's just gratuitous.

An alternate way of doing this is to use Rods in a similar way to power Thesis'd Acid Storms that are Energy Admixtured. That way if a few are bunched, you're getting 20' r areas of Admixed / Empowered / Maximized (via Rod) 15d6 + 15d6 Acid / Whatever Damage for a Total of 270 Damage. However, it is subject to Saves, SR and Resistances where Melf's is not. Not a big deal against the 4 PC types, but almost useless against the Tarrasque.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 06:48 PM
okpocalypse... Nice build. I'm going away for the weekend, so this breakdown (and my analysis of it) will have to wait until Sunday.

headwarpage
2007-03-09, 07:22 PM
Do we actually get anything from wishing the tarrasque dead, or is it purely a question of how much damage we can do to it first? Also, will it drop its spell resistance to allow me to heal it so I can do more damage later?

Suvarov454
2007-03-10, 04:28 AM
How does that hurt? Do we lose points for the damage our target regenerates?? (I should probably wait for the upcoming damage calculation rules...)

I too am interested to know if we get penalized for the Tarasque's regeneration. Put a different way, if I hit it on the first round for 120 points, it will regenerate all of them by the end of the third round. If I never visit it again, did I score zero points or 120? If it's zero, than the most the Tarrasque can ever be worth is 868, and the first build to 1738 wins. If regeneration just means more points, than the Tarrasque's theoretical maximum is 868+7*40 = 1148, and we're shooting for 2018. Can you please let us know which it is?

My entry is a Goliath Fighter/Paladin melee god (with a level each of Ranger and Exotic Weapon Master thrown in), and I was able to get 1536 points of damage (I assumed straight averages, adjusted for to-hit percentages, and factoring in critical rolls), with Squishy McSofty escaping unscathed (my thanks to whomever mentioned ignoring him in favor of a round of buffs) and the Tarrasque badly beaten (but not down). Then I saw The Guilded Duke's magnificent post with Ryan Elan and his cohort brother Bryan. I had a bunch of extra gold at the end of my build, and a spare Feat slot, so I recalculated to include a Cohort and got a clean sweep. It feels a little wrong to do so, when The Guilded Duke had the first such build. I don't think he claimed Mr. McSofty, however, and I do, and I didn't reach the maximum number of points on the Tarrasque. That means that this is still a competition.

Inigo Windtilter Agolkamo
Goliath Ftr 8/Pal 6/Rng 1/Exotic Weapon Master 1

Str 32* 18 +4 +6* +4
Con 14 12 +2
Dex 6 8 -2
Int 10 10
Wis 14 14
Cha 22* 16 +6*
N.B. all stats marked with an asterix (*) have been enhanced by a magic item

AC 23(24): 10 + 11 armor + 1 nat armor + 1 deflection (+1 if hasted)
Fort: 22* Ref: 13*(14) Will: 11*

Montoya, the Large Bastard Sword +7 (+1 Brilliant Energy, Keen, Shock) 98335
Intelligent: Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 15; Speech; 60ft Darkvision; hearing 5000
Bless 3/day, Faerie Fire 3/day, Cure 2d8+3 3/day 8600
---------

Mithril Full Plate +3 Armor Penalty -3; Med armor; 25 lb. 19650
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 AC 2000
Belt of Giant Strength +6 Str 36000
Boots of Speed +1 attack; +1 to-hit; +1 AC; +1 Ref save 10 rnds/day 12000
Boots of Striding and Springing 5500
Cloak of Charisma +6 Cha 36000
Gloves of Dexterity +4 Dex 16000
Heward's Handy Haversack 2000
Ioun Stone, Pale Green; +1 to-hit, saves, and skills 30000
Ring of Feather Fall 2200
Ring Protection +1 AC 2000
Sacred Scabard 4400
Luck Blade (1 Wish) +2 to-hit and damage +1 saves 63360
Masterwork Cold Iron Greatsword 400
Potion of Bull's Strength 300
Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+4) 2800
--------

Feats:
1 - Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword) +1 to-hit
3 - Power Attack
6 - Favored Power Attack PA x3 damage
9 - Improved Favored Enemy +3 damage
12 - Divine Might +6* damage
15 - Leadership (effective level 20, thanks to +3 natural Cha bonus)

Fighter Feats:
1 - Exotic Wpn Prof (Bastard Sword)
2 - Power Critical +4 to confirm threat
4 - Weapon Spec. (Bastard Sword) +1 damage
6 - Increased Crit Range (Bastard Sword) 15-20/x2 with Keen
8 - Greater Wpn Focus (Bastard Sword) +1 to-hit

Class Features:
Pal 1 Detect Evil at will
Pal 1 Smite Evil 1(3)/day Standard Action +6* to-hit; +4 damage
Pal 2 Divine Grace +6* to saves
Pal 2 Lay on Hands Standard Action 24 hp/day
Pal 3 Aura of Courage: immune to fear; 10 ft radius +4 saves vs fear
Pal 3 Divine Health; immune to diseases
Pal 4 Turn Undead 9*/day
Rng 1 Favored Enemy (Magical Creatures) +2 damage
EWM 1 Uncanny Blow: x2 Str bonus +22 damage

To-Hit
BAB: +16 Str: +11* Feats: +3 Magic: +3
Full: +16(haste)/+16/+11/+6/+1

Memorized Spells:
Divine Favor
Restoration, Lesser

Pancho his Sidekick
Lvl 14 Human Barbarian
Str 21*(31): 18 base +3 levels (+6 Rage +4 Bull's Strength)
Dex 18*: 14 base +4 gloves
Con 16(22): 16 base (+6 Rage)
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 12
BAB +14 Full Attack +18/+13/+8 17-20/x2
Full Rage Attack + Bull's Strength: +23/+18/+13

Feats:
1 - Weapon Focus (Great Sword)
3 - Weapon Finesse
6 - Extend Rage +5 rounds
9 - Improved Crit Range (Great Sword) 17-20/x2
12 - Power Attack
Class Features:
Greater Rage 4/day +6 Str and Con; +6 Will saves; -2 AC 11 rounds

He's wearing Inigo's Gloves of dexterity, carrying the Luck Blade and potion of Bull's strength, and has the Masterwork Great Sword sheithed in the Sacred Scabbard.

Round 1 - Target 1 - the Victim
Inigo and Pancho each start within 5 feet of Squishy McTarget, in Flanking positions, weapons sheathed.
Inigo goes first, and asks Montoya, the intelligent Large Bastard Sword to cast Bless (both Inigo and Pancho are in the radius); 1 minute duration. Then Inigo casts Divine Favor on himself; 1 minute duration. He threatens Squishy with Montoya and gives Pancho flank bonus.

Pancho then takes a full attack (*not* in Rage), Power Attack -12 to hit (+24 damage). The three attacks will hit on 1+, 6+, and 11+ (BAB +14, Str +2, Wpn Focus +1, Mwk +1, Bless +1, Flank +2, Pow Att -12, Armor 10) and do 2d6+27 (two-hander, Str +3, Pow Att +24). Threats are 17-20, and are confirmed on 1+, 6+, and 11+. Statistics tell me that (including criticals) Mr. McSofty should take 91.8 damage (10.8 points overkill) and is therefore dead thanks to Pancho.

81 points

Round 2 - Target 2 - the Turtle
Inigo starts within 5 feet of Mahjik'bugar'sme, the Elf Fighter, weapon drawn. Pancho is off to the side, out of the threatened area.
Inigo goes first, activates his Boots of Speed with a free action, channels a turn attempt into damage with the Divine Might with another free action, and then conducts a full attack, Power Attack -5 to hit (+10 damage). Montoya's Brilliant Energy blade slices straight through the heavy armor and shield. He makes five attacks that need to-hit rolls of: -1+, -1+, 4+, 9+, and 14+ (Haste gives an extra attack; BAB: +16, Str +11, Greater Focus +2, Wpn Enhacement +1, Haste +1, Ioun Stone +1 (competence), Bless +1 (morale), Divine Favor +2 (luck), AC (sans armor and shield) -29, Power Attack -5) that do 2d8 + 1d6 + 43 (Large Bastard Sword: 2d8, Shock: 1d6, Str +22 (Uncanny Blow Exotic Weapon Stunt), Wpn Specialization +2, Wpn Enhancement +1, Divine Favor +2 (luck), Divine Might +6, Power Attack +10). Each attack scores a thread on 17-20 and scores an additional 2d8 + 43 damage; confirmations for each attack require rolls of -5+, -5+, 0+, 5+, and 10+ (Power Critical feat). All told, the fighter should take 278.76 points of damage (25.76 points of overkill). Target 2 is down.

Pancho uses his move action to sheath the Great Sword, and then activates the Sacred Scabard with a standard action, giving it Bless Weapon
253 points

Round 3 - Target 3 - the Saving Throw
Inigo astarts within 5 feet of Stah'bsuhar'me, the Elf Monk/Paladin, weapon drawn. Pancho is off to the side, out of the threatened area.
Inigo does not channel Divine Might, uses a full attack with a Power Attack -8 to hit (+16 damage). The Brilliant Energy blade is of no use against the monk, but the Goliath's rain of blows is still too much: to-hit rolls of: 0+, 0+, 5+, 10+, and 15+ (Haste gives an extra attack; BAB: +16, Str +11, Greater Focus +2, Wpn Enhacement +1, Haste +1, Ioun Stone +1 (competence), Bless +1 (morale), Divine Favor +2 (luck), AC -26, Power Attack -8) that do 2d8 + 1d6 + 43 (Large Bastard Sword: 2d8, Shock: 1d6, Str +22 (Uncanny Blow Exotic Weapon Stunt), Wpn Specialization +2, Wpn Enhancement +1, Divine Favor +2 (luck), Power Attack +16). Each attack scores a thread on 17-20 and scores an additional 2d8 + 43 damage; confirmations for each attack require rolls of -4+, -4+, 1+, 6+, and 11+ (Power Critical feat). All told, the monk should take 268.87 points of damage (50.87 points of overkill). The monk dies.

Pancho draws his weapon as a move action, and rubs the Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+4) onto his weapon (duration 16 hours) as his standard action.

218 points

Round 4 - Target 4 - the Raging Barbarian
Inigo starts within 5 feet of No'Rohgs the Half-Orc Barbarian, weapon drawn. Pancho is off to the side, out of the threatened area (monotonous, isn't it?).
Inigo goes first, does not use Divine Might, conducts a full attack, with a maximum amount of Power Attack (-16 to hit, +32 damage). Once again, Montoya's blade sails through the heavy armor and buckler: to-hit rolls of: -7+, -7+, -2+, 3+, and 8+ (Haste gives an extra attack; BAB: +16, Str +11, Greater Focus +2, Wpn Enhacement +1, Haste +1, Ioun Stone +1 (competence), Bless +1 (morale), Divine Favor +2 (luck), AC (sans armor and shield) -11, Power Attack -16) that do 2d8 + 1d6 + 54 (Large Bastard Sword: 2d8, Shock: 1d6, Str +22 (Uncanny Blow Exotic Weapon Stunt), Wpn Specialization +2, Wpn Enhancement +1, Divine Favor +2 (luck), Power Attack +32, Dam Resistance -5). Each attack scores a thread on 17-20 and scores an additional 2d8 + 54 damage; confirmations for each attack require rolls of -11+, -11+, -2+, -1+, and 4+ (Power Critical feat). All told, the barbarian should take 394.24 points of damage (76.24 points of overkill). There's one less half-orc in the world tonight.

Pancho sees that only the Tarrasque is left for him to hit, and that makes him mad. He enters his rage; duration 11 rounds.

318 points

Rounds 5-8 - Target 5 - the Nightmare
For each of the next 4 rounds, Inigo and Pancho will be in Flanking positions on the Tarrasque, and will conduct full attacks. Inigo has been preparing for this day, and has trained himself specifically to hunt down magical creatures. He'll use Divine Might and just a bit of Power Attack: -3 to hit which (thanks to his Favored Power Attack (Magical Creatures) feat) deals an extra 9 points of damage. To-hit rolls need: 1+, 1+, 6+, 11+, and 16+ (Haste gives an extra attack; BAB: +16, Str +11, Greater Focus +2, Wpn Enhacement +1, Haste +1, Ioun Stone +1 (competence), Bless +1 (morale), Divine Favor +2 (luck), AC -35, Power Attack -3, Flanking +2) that do 2d8 + 1d6 + 32 (Large Bastard Sword: 2d8, Shock: 1d6, Str +22 (Uncanny Blow Exotic Weapon Stunt), Wpn Specialization +2, Wpn Enhancement +1, Divine Favor +2 (luck), Divine Might +6, Favored Power Attack +9, Dam Resistance -15, Improved Favored Enemy +5). Each attack scores a thread on 17-20 and scores an additional 2d8 + 32 damage; confirmations for each attack require rolls of -5+, -5+, 0+, 5+, and 10+ (Power Critical feat). Inigo deals 205.257 points of damage per round, yeilding a four round total of 821.03 points of damage.

Pancho has spent the past three rounds buffing himself -- he has +12 better to hit and +15 better damage and he'll need both to make a difference against the Tarrasque. He'll use more power attack than Inigo (he doesn't hit nearly as often, so he wants his hits to count): -5 to hit for +10 damage. His three attacks will hit on 7+, 12+, and 17+ (BAB +14, Str +10, Wpn Focus +1, Greater Magic Weapon +4 (enhancment, replaces Mwk), Bless +1 (morale), Flank +2, Armor -35, Pow Att -5) and do 2d6+27 (two-hander, Str +3, Pow Att +24). Threats are 17-20, and are automatically confirmed (Bless Weapon). Pancho deals 137.13 points of damage.

Even with Pancho's strikes, the three rounds of regeneration, keeps dreaded beast from toppling over: 821.03 + 137.13 - 120 = 838.16.

958 points (190 points short of the theoretical maximum)

Grand Total: 1828 points, but I couldn't take out the Tarrasque, due to it's insanely fast regeneration.

After going back, I saw that I had stacked the bonuses both for Pancho's Masterwork weapon and the Greater Magic Weapon (both enhancement), and for Aid and Bless (both morale). I also had been including the damage from Montoya's Shock ability in Inigo's critical hit damages. I've adjusted my build by dropping the potion of Aid and substituting a Greater Magic Weapon +4 potion for the +3, and I've reported the correct values in my calculations above.

All told, Pancho only did 228 points of damage, and some of that was over-kill on Mr. McSofty that shouldn't count, but he delt with Mr. McSofty which gave Inigo time to buff with Divine Favor, which was critical in bagging the other three humanoids. Finally, his flanking position and the damage he delt to the Tarrasque was almost enough to allow me to pull off a clean sweep of dropping all 5 targets.

Please PM me if you want to see my spread sheet I used to tune my build, but I have to warn you that I use Gnumeric, not MicroSoft Excel.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-03-10, 05:09 AM
Suvarov: that's too many extra books. Goliath is Races of Stone, and both Exotic Weapon Master and Favored Power Attack are Complete Warrior. You're only allowed 1 non-core book ("core" means PHB, DMG, MM1 and XPH)

Suvarov454
2007-03-10, 01:49 PM
Suvarov: that's too many extra books. Goliath is Races of Stone, and both Exotic Weapon Master and Favored Power Attack are Complete Warrior. You're only allowed 1 non-core book ("core" means PHB, DMG, MM1 and XPH)

Hmm... if lankybugger agrees, then I'm in trouble, but the third rule just says:
The character's classes may be anything from the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide, Expanded Psionics Handbook, plus one (and only one) other Wizards of the Coast book of your choice. Likewise, you may use any feats or items located in the one extra book you've selected

Character race isn't included in the list. I better hurry up with my original idea (that I had to shelve because I misread the second rule and overspent on my weapon).

The Gilded Duke
2007-03-10, 06:03 PM
I had a bunch of extra gold at the end of my build, and a spare Feat slot, so I recalculated to include a Cohort and got a clean sweep. It feels a little wrong to do so, when The Guilded Duke had the first such build. I don't think he claimed Mr. McSofty, however, and I do, and I didn't reach the maximum number of points on the Tarrasque. That means that this is still a competition.

I'm not going to try and reserve the cohort idea or anything like that, Cohorts were specifically mentioned as being allowed and counting for damage. The main trick for my attempt was using deep impact in combination with Tome of Battle maneuvers. Bryan and his cohort Ryan managed to do the maximum damage to all targets, but it relies very closley on the wording of the rules of the contest.

Martial maneuvers get refreshed at the beginning of each combat. Are these seperate combats or not? If they are then it gives characters using martial maneuvers great advantage, as their refreshing maneuvers is their main strength over other magic systems.

If it is all interpreted as one combat, I'm going to have to adjust a few things.

I was hoping that the damage the tarrasque heals up counts for damage dealt as well, I altered my builds and tactics to play with the initiative order some to give the tarrasque as much regenerating time as possible (four rounds worth of regeneration).

As far as killing the tarrasque that wasn't stated in the rules, but I tried to do it for style. The ring of wishes is a questionable part of my setup, in the srd they only have a listed price for a ring with three wishes on it. I assumed that a ring with one third the wishes would be one third the cost. Since this was the same price roughly as a scroll of wish I thought it would work out. If this is not the case, then I would have to adjust more to get them to be able to kill the tarrasque as well. Non-necessary so I thought it wouldn't matter as much.

As far as your build, I like what your doing but I wonder why you need Goliath? Doesn't the extra weapon size only add a little bit to damage? Also, with your spending why do you buy armor? The enemies are not going to be hitting back. I only bought the rhino hide because it gave an extra +2d6 on charge.

headwarpage
2007-03-10, 07:27 PM
Ok, here’s my shot at this. The build’s not really that special, and I don’t doubt that I left some damage on the table here, but by manipulating my tactics and healing the targets, I’ve managed to get a pretty hefty damage total. Which somebody smarter will immediately outdo by a few thousand.

Our Heroes:
Freddy Berserker: (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=48906) Orc Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Frenzied berserker 10/Ranger 1, with a Str of 36 (50 with rage and frenzy), magical beasts as a favored enemy, and a +5 vicious magical beast bane greatsword.

Brad the Bard: (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=48914) Freddy’s cohort, a venerable Aasimar Bard 14 with a Cha of 30, very high ranks in UMD, and a spiked chain.

(I’m not posting the full details of the builds here to save time, but they are such that everything I claim below is true, assuming my math and understanding of the rules are correct (neither of which is ever a safe assumption, really). The relevant details are in the character sheets.)

Freddy’s attack bonus: 17(BAB) +20 (Str) +1 (Weapon Focus) +2 (Reckless Offense) +2 (Flanking) +5 (weapon) +3 (bardic music) = +50
Against the Tarrasque: additional +2 (magical beast bane sword)

Freddy’s average damage (assuming an enlarged Freddy): 3d6(10)(weapon) +2d6(7) (vicious) + 31 (Str) +2 (weapon specialization) +5 (weapon enhancement bonus) +3 (bardic music) = 58
Against the tarrasque: +2 (magical beast bane enhancement bonus) +2d6(7) (magical beast bane extra dice) +2 (favored enemy) -15 (DR) = 54

Critical hits: Thanks to Improved Critical, Freddy threatens a critical on 20% of his attacks, or one critical per full attack. The only time this matters is against the tarrasque, since Freddy will kill all the other targets with the greatest of ease. Against the tarrasque, Freddy will threaten one critical hit each round, with an 85% chance of confirming the critical. Based on the amount I’m power attacking for, each confirmed critical should do 88 points of damage on top of Freddy’s normal damage. 85% of that gives me 74 damage each round from critical hits. The first round, however, Freddy is only 79% likely to confirm his critical hits, for reasons listed below. That round, he only gains 69 damage from critical hits.

Positioning: Freddy starts each round standing in front of the target, with 5’ between them. Since he’s going to enlarge himself momentarily, he’ll be within melee range. Brad will start each round directly opposite Freddy. Typically, he will start adjacent to the enemy, cast his spell/read a scroll/whatever, and take a 5 foot step back, continuing to flank thanks to his spiked chain, but now safely out of Freddy’s cleave range. The exception to this is Round 5, when Brad needs to stay near the target to heal him. Luckily, Freddy won’t kill that target in Round 5, so Brad is safe.

Round 1: The Tarrasque: Brad begins bardic music, giving Freddy +3 to attack and damage rolls. Freddy activates his boots of temporal acceleration, drinks his potion of enlarge person, and draws his sword. His greatsword now deals 3d6 damage, his Str bonus to damage is now +31, and he gains reach. Extra round ends. Freddy is now shaken, taking a -2 to attacks, but rages, frenzies, and full attacks the tarrasque anyway, shifting 12 points of BAB into Power Attack. Each attack that hits deals 54+48=102 points of damage. The first two attacks automatically hit, 90% chance the third one does, 65% chance the fourth one does, 40% chance the fifth one does. Damage = 471

Round 2: Target 1: Brad stops singing (but the bonus lasts another 5 rounds) and UMDs a scroll of bear’s endurance on Squishy McSofty, giving him an extra 40 HP to lose (note that Brad cannot possibly fail any of the UMD checks he’s making). Freddy full attacks him. Damage = 121

Round 3: Target 2: Brad casts a heightened Hold Person from a level 5 slot. The DC on this is 27, so the target fails his save. Freddy CDGs him. If he survives the damage, he still can’t make the save. Damage = 253

Round 4: Target 3: Brad uses another use of bardic music. Freddy full attacks the target, hitting each time and dealing a total of 290 damage, 218 of which counts. Damage = 218

Round 5: Target 4: Brad stops singing (the bonus lasts until I'm out of rounds, however) and readies an action to UMD a CL 15 scroll of Heal on the target if Freddy hits his first three iterative attacks (healing him in the middle of Freddy’s turn instead of waiting until the end of Freddy’s attack prevents Freddy from accidentally killing the target with a critical). Freddy full attacks, dropping a mere one point of BAB into power attack. All five attacks hit (the lowest one is at +34), dealing a total of 310 damage, but Brad heals 150 of it. Damage = 310

Round 6: Target 4: Brad UMDs another CL 15 scroll of Heal. Freddy full attacks as before, dealing a total of 310 damage and killing the target. Damage = 308 (All he has left to lose). (Critical hits actually result in more damage being done in round 5 and less in round 6, but the total is the same, so I haven’t bothered doing the critical hit math.)

Round 7: Back to the tarrasque, which has regenerated 240 damage by this point. Brad heals it for another 150. Freddy full attacks, dropping 12 points of BAB into Power Attack, just like he did back in round 1, but now he's not shaken so he hits with greater frequency. Damage = 507

Round 8: The tarrasque has 272 HP left, but regenerates 40 on its turn. Brad heals it for another 150, giving it 462. Freddy full attacks again, dealing another 507 damage. Only the first 472 points of that count, though. Damage = 472

Total damage, rounds 1-8: 2658

Note that this assumes the targets are happy to allow Brad to heal them, so touch attack rolls and saving throws don’t come into play, and neither does the tarrasque’s SR. If Brad has to make touch attacks, and the targets get saving throws, there’s more math to be done, which I don’t feel like doing at the moment. With absolutely no healing, however, the damage total is still 2058, which is pretty good but not quite as satisfying.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-10, 07:37 PM
Hmmm... not sure how viable mine will be, especially since I'm losing a huge part of it from the only 1 source book rule, but no matter.

So, questions:

Can a mount be trained to make a jumping attack, thus qualifying for the 3:1 damage ratio for the Leap Attack feat?

How about a flying mount? Would a dive/leaping dive give such a bonus?

Variable Arcana
2007-03-11, 12:59 PM
okpokalypse-

Wow. Quite an impressive direct-damage caster.

But... I thought we were only allowed to be within effective range of one target at a time -- that is, in each round you can only attack one target.

(You should still have no problem taking out all the targets with your build, though...)

Suvarov454
2007-03-11, 01:03 PM
As far as your build, I like what your doing but I wonder why you need Goliath? Doesn't the extra weapon size only add a little bit to damage? Also, with your spending why do you buy armor? The enemies are not going to be hitting back. I only bought the rhino hide because it gave an extra +2d6 on charge.

Extra damage, and 2 more Str than a half-orc. Plus I like Goliaths :-D.

As for the gold, what *else* am I going to spend it on? Belts of Giant Strength only go to +6, I can only spend 113,333 on the weapon, and there just aren't that many wonderous items that help deal out damage.

I have to disqualify my entry for a different reason however... I haven't played D&D in years, and I hadn't noticed that Keen and Improve Crit Range don't stack in 3.5 edition (unlike 3.0). Rather than just recalculate the numbers, I'm going to concede. :smallfrown:

Headwarpage did the "high strength hitter with sidekick" concept better than I, and even used headling from the cohort to exceed the maximum point total. He forgot that Enlarge Person costs him -1 to-hit due to size, but he can buy a Pale Green Ioun Stone to offset that. He could also make Freddy's sword intelligent, so it can cast Bless (another +1 to-hit) and a Sacred Scabard so he can add Bless Weapon before he draws (all threats are automatically confirmed as criticals). He may want to replace the Greatsword with a Bastard Sword, trade a level of Barbarian for Exotic Weapon Master, and take the Uncanny Blow trick (trade 3d6+31 of damage for 2d8+40), but that could foul up the careful balance of damage dealt against the Half-Orc barbarian.

I'm really curious how Freddy's strength got to 50, however. The most I was able to get was 44 (18 base, +2 race, +6 belt, +4 levels, +4 Righteous Might, +4 Rage, +10 Frenzy).

Suvarov454
2007-03-11, 02:55 PM
Aha! I've found a replacement for an intelligent weapon that can cast "Bless": a potion of "Good Hope": it's +2 morale bonus to hit and damage instead of +1.

headwarpage
2007-03-11, 03:31 PM
In response to your questions, Suvarov:

I remembered the -1 to hit from enlarge person. But the +2 to strength cancels it out, unless I'm mistaken.

It's possible that I screwed up the strength. Let's see... 18 (base) +4 (race, full orc) +4 (levels) gets me 26. Manual of gainful exercise +4 gets me 30. Belt of giant strength +6 is 36. Rage is +4, frenzy is +10, so that's 50. Actually, yours adds up to 48, I think.

The exotic weapon master is a good idea, though. I wish I had thought of that. The balance of damage against the half-orc isn't an issue, really. My total actually doesn't include the critical I score that round, because I added it all up before I though about critical hits, then decided it didn't matter. The key is Brad readying an action to heal the target halfway through the full attack. That'll keep the guy alive until the next round, which is all that matters. With two heals, he can take 618 damage, and it doesn't really matter which round it happens in.

Unfortunately, Freddy doesn't have a CP to his name right now, or a lot of your gear-based suggestions would be good as well. Brad has some cash left, but I figured it would be cheating to buy gear for Freddy with it.

okpokalypse
2007-03-11, 04:56 PM
okpokalypse-

Wow. Quite an impressive direct-damage caster.

But... I thought we were only allowed to be within effective range of one target at a time -- that is, in each round you can only attack one target.

(You should still have no problem taking out all the targets with your build, though...)

I assumed that was Melee Range. If one is able to get to each one within a round, then the 300' Range on the spell more than covers it.

headwarpage
2007-03-11, 05:37 PM
I had read it as the five targets are completely independent and nowhere near each other, and our characters were just sort of teleported to wherever they wanted to be each round.

Suvarov454
2007-03-11, 11:01 PM
Actually, I used a half-orc instead of a full orc. I don't know why I didn't look at the "orc as character" stats. I was skimming through the Monsters at d20srd.org, and skipped right over that entry. Dumb. Also, I didn't think that we could use the Manuals or Tomes; I was expecting that it wouldn't be counted as "once owned, but read it long ago", and 8 rounds is a bit shy of the minimum read time for the book :smallwink: . Still, that exactly accounts for my confusion. Thanks for clarifying!

Oh, and I ran the numbers and I figured out that a Large Dire Pick is better than a Bastard Sword when you have Improved Crit (obviously, Vicious and Bane don't help because they don't boost the damage dealt by the critical, just the base). In case you care, the breakeven point for the two weapons is when you have a damage bonus of +24 (not including damage from Vicious or Bane); before then, you want the Bastard Sword, after that you want a Dire Pick. For all of you following this thread for your lower-level builds, when you compare a Medium Dire Pick to a Bastard Sword when they are both +1 Keen, they are even when you have a total damage bonus of +12. If you don't have Keen or Improved Crit, then medium weapons are the same when you have a total damage bonus of +22 and large ones at +44. A Keen pick is a raging, power-attacking Barbarian's best friend!

okpokalypse
2007-03-12, 01:03 AM
I had read it as the five targets are completely independent and nowhere near each other, and our characters were just sort of teleported to wherever they wanted to be each round.

Ahh, I see what you're saying... In that case, he'd just do the following, since it's limited to 1 target per round.

Round 1: Squishy (71 HP)

Maximized, Empowered Melf's (L6)
99.5%+ Chance of doing 96+ Damage. (81 HP Awarded) [An Additional L6 Swift Spell can be cast via class ability on the off chance that .5% comes up.

Round 2: Mahjik'bugar'sme (243 HP)
Swift (Rod) Twinned, Maximized, Empowered Melf's (L8)
Standard Maximized, Empowered Melf's (L6)

99.999%+ Chance of doing 264+ Damage. (253 HP Awarded)

Round 3: Stah'bsuhar'me (208 HP)

Standard Maximized Melf's (L5)

99.99%+ Chance of doing 232+ Damage. (218 HP Awarded)

Round 4: No'Rohgs (308 HP)

Draw Maximized Rod (Move)
Standard Maximized (Rod), Twinned, Empowered Melf's (L7)

99.9999%+ Chance of doing 336+ Damage. (318 HP Awarded)

Round 5: Tarrasque (858 HP)

Swift (Class), Maximized (Rod), Twinned, Empowered Melf's (L7)
Standard Maximized (Rod), Twinned, Empowered Melf's (L7)
Celerity, Greater (Immediate)
Swift (Class), Maximized, Twinned, Empowered Melf's (L9)
Standard Maximized, Twinned, Empowered Melf's (L9)

Potentially 960 Damage. 98%+ Chance of doing 888+ Damage. (868 HP Awarded)

Now, if one were to go the Cohort route as an enhancement, within the scope of the rules of the exercise, I could Cohort a Cleric with Healing Domain, DMM Quicken, DMM Reach and Augmented Healing. That would enable him, with basic items, to heal the Tarrasque, from Range, for 364 HP in Round 6, in addition to it's 40 HP Regen. So that would be another 480 HP Damage done via two more Maximized (Rod) 7th Level Spells. (~400 HP Awarded)

Then, in Round 7, The Cleric could heal it again, along with regen to 400+, and again, this time using a Quickened (Class) 9th and two 6ths (Standard & 1 via Celerity) for another 480 HP Damage. (~400 HP Awarded)

Then in the 8th and Final Round, the Cleric Heals the Conjurer to remove the Daze from the Celerity, and the Conjurer uses his Non-School 9th Level spell (Wish) to end the Tarrasque.

Total Damage:
From NPCs: 81 + 253 + 218 + 318 = 870
From Tarrasque: 868 + ~800 (Healed / Regen'd) = ~1668

Total: ~2538 HP Damage.

Personally, despite this doing more realized damage, I think the 2 Round Version presented before is much cleaner and efficient.

headwarpage
2007-03-12, 05:52 AM
If you take your first shot at the tarrasque in round 1, then don't come back to it until the end, it'll regen a bunch more HP that you can hit it for later. Because you have a cleric cohort with augmented healing and I only have a bard with UMD, you should be able to heal it for more than me and therefore do more total damage.

Darion
2007-03-12, 06:25 AM
Personally, despite this doing more realized damage, I think the 2 Round Version presented before is much cleaner and efficient.
[/SIZE]

Of course, this version has the advantage of actually following the rules (until you get to big T). Look up swift and immediate actions when you have a second. Both are limited to one a round (not one an action) and use of an immediate action counts as your use of a swift action for the round. AFAIK, the master specialist ability doesn't waive this rule.

Your idea might also have trouble as it seems to use material from two non-core sources (PHB2, CMage). One of the more limiting stipulations in the challenge is that it is core + one book only, and the "core" status of PHB2 is debateable. And, as I'm sure you're aware, the feats selected for your theoretical cohort come from yet more sourcebooks.

okpokalypse
2007-03-12, 09:00 AM
Of course, this version has the advantage of actually following the rules (until you get to big T). Look up swift and immediate actions when you have a second. Both are limited to one a round (not one an action) and use of an immediate action counts as your use of a swift action for the round. AFAIK, the master specialist ability doesn't waive this rule.

"Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action,"

He uses it once his turn is expired to create a new Full Round Action. However, you're correct in the limitation of 1 swift action per turn, so I would only be able to get a single Melf's off from the Celerity... In that regard, the Cleric could just pump in some damage in Round 5. I'll look at the total he'd do later, but I'd suspect that it'd be enough to still put Big T down.

Your idea might also have trouble as it seems to use material from two non-core sources (PHB2, CMage). One of the more limiting stipulations in the challenge is that it is core + one book only, and the "core" status of PHB2 is debateable. And, as I'm sure you're aware, the feats selected for your theoretical cohort come from yet more sourcebooks.

You are correct in that Augmented Healing (for the Cleric) would have to go out the window, as would the DMM stuff. So he'd have to make use of Rods instead. Still acheivable within the scope.

Similarly, if PHB-II isn't considered Core, and I'd lose the "Arcane Thesis" feat, I'd just purchase extra Maximize Meta-Magic Rods and still have enough firepower to drop them all in the same fashion. It doesn't change the overall mechanics of the exercise - though it would alter the build slightly.

fallensavior
2007-03-12, 07:04 PM
fallensavior... How do you get the 36 Str? How do you achieve that build? How are you attacking Targets 1-5? I need this information to count the entry.

Str= base 18 + 4 (orc) + 4 (level adv) + belt of giant str +6 + manual of str +4 = 36 str

Oh, I didn't even count rage + frenzy, that damage should be way higher.

I full attack each target (tarrasque all extra turns) 5 attacks per round from frenzy. 8 rounds = 40 attacks = mathmatical min. of 2 crits.

Draz74
2007-03-13, 12:41 AM
This post deleted by poster (since its contents have been copied into another post in this thread).

Quietus
2007-03-13, 01:55 AM
.... Does the damage you take from your own vicious weapon count toward damage dealt?

*Thinking about throwing his hat into this ring*

::Edit:: Also, the "Slashing Blades" ability of the Dervish says :

A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons

While this is clearly against the intent of the rules, does this mean, RAW, that you could pick up any size of scimitar and it would be considered a light weapon?

::Edit2:: Another unusual question; RAW, the snatch arrows feat makes it so that when something is thrown at you, you can grab it and throw it back at the person who threw it at you. For the purposes of this, is that taken as written, i.e. I couldn't have my cohort whip daggers at me, using Snatch Arrows to turn around and throw more at Big T? I'm guessing this is one of those strange little issues within the game that doesn't make sense, but is probably better for balance.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-13, 07:32 AM
Well, so much for the Warchanter idea. Boo hiss.
It still works with summoned creatures ... if you are a fromagofile there are even ways to get 100s of summoned creatures under your control in a very short timespan.

Rigeld2
2007-03-13, 07:48 AM
While this is clearly against the intent of the rules, does this mean, RAW, that you could pick up any size of scimitar and it would be considered a light weapon?
Sure. But you still get size penalties to wield it.

::Edit2:: Another unusual question; RAW, the snatch arrows feat makes it so that when something is thrown at you, you can grab it and throw it back at the person who threw it at you. For the purposes of this, is that taken as written, i.e. I couldn't have my cohort whip daggers at me, using Snatch Arrows to turn around and throw more at Big T? I'm guessing this is one of those strange little issues within the game that doesn't make sense, but is probably better for balance.

"Thrown weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#thrownWeapons) can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn) or kept for later use."

Why would you ever be able to throw them at someone who wasnt the original attacker? :p

Quietus
2007-03-13, 07:50 AM
It's more a matter of want to, rather than able to. I imagine I can throw at *points* that guy, just as easily as I can throw at the dude who threw this arrow at me. Not that it matters... I ended up going with another build idea, which has worked out nicely. I'm fixing up some bookkeeping errors right now, but my damage is currently somewhere around 2600.

Quietus
2007-03-13, 08:22 AM
Alrighty, let's see how I do : Seems my math was a bit off, and I lost some damage in the calculation. My total damage (though I'll go back over it later to try and tweak it) is 2412; Not bad, for not using anything outside of Core, and just using a pair of straight rogues.

Halfling Rog17, cohort Halfling Rog15

Strength 14 (16 base, -2 racial)
Dexterity 30 (18 base, +2 racial, 4 levels, +6 item)
Constitution 12
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 8
Charisma 14

Strength 14 (16 base, -2 racial)
Dexterity 29 (18 base, +2 racial, 4 levels, +6 item)
Constitution 12
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 8
Charisma 14

Attack bonus : 11 (base) +7 (dex) +1 (size) +1 (haste) +1 (point blank) +1 (ioun stone) -2 (two-weapon fighting) +2 (flanking) +5 (magic weapon) +2 (heroism) = +31/+31/+31/+26/+26/+21/+21

Damage : 1d3 (2 average) + 5 (magic weapon) +1 (point blank)
Assuming sneak attacks, total average damage on a full attack is (8+17d6)x7, or 472. All attacks WILL hit, due to the brilliant energy and Elf Bane enchantments.
When only the cohort attacks, average damage is (8+8d6)x7, all attacks hitting, for 252 damage. Against elves, this increases to 315.
When only the main character attacks, average damage is (8+9d6)x7, all attacks hitting, for 276.5 damage. Against elves, this increases to 339.

Feats :
1 – Two weapon fighting
3 – Quick Draw
6 – Point Blank Shot
9 – Improved two weapon fighting
12 –Rapid Reload
15 – Greater two weapon fighting

Abilities : Crippling Strike, Bonus feat (Precise shot), Bonus Feat (Leadership for the primary)

Items :
Boots of Speed x2 @ 12,000 each
2 Pale Green Ioun Stones (+1 competence on attack rolls, etc) @ 30,000 each
2 pairs of gloves of dexterity +6 @ 36,000 each
1 +1 brilliant energy elf bane hand crossbows @ 72,400 gold (Main char)
1 +1 brilliant energy magical beast bane hand crossbows @ 72,400 gold (cohort)
1 +1 human bane hand crossbow @ 8,000 gold
2 scrolls of Greater Magic Weapon (caster level 20) @1,500 each
2 scrolls of Heroism (caster level 15, extended 5 times for 1 hour/level duration) @ 3,000 each
6 scrolls of Heal (caster level 15) @ 2,250 gold
2 pairs of Eyeglasses of Scroll Use +10 (+10 bonus to Use Magic Device when activating scrolls) – full price would be 10,000 gold, but due to the limited use, I’ve purchased a pair for my cohort as well, counting it as half price.
50 feet of silk rope, cut up as needed and used to tether the hand crossbows so when they’re dropped in combat, they remain hanging from their users. Tied with a knot that comes undone with a tug (a free action to facilitate quickly exchanging weapons)
98 plain daggers @ 2 gold each

340,000 GP total to work with, 338,806 spent.

Skills : Doesn’t matter, aside from primary having max ranks in Use Magic Device, along with 5 ranks each in Decipher Script and Spellcraft. These, along with his eyeglasses and charisma, give him a total of +36 to his checks – he casts Heroism first with no chance of failure, followed by Greater Magic Weapon, which can only fail on a natural 1 (and thus is negligible).
The cohort, with max ranks in Use Magic Device (and synergies) also packs a respectable +36 to his Use Magic Device skill after the Heroisms go off. This allows him to use scrolls of Heal.

THE QUICK AND DIRTY STORY

These two Halflings grew up as a team, and as such, they have come to work together on an extremely tight basis. They’re a little on the… shall we say, easily distracted, side, but they’ve stuck together through thick and thin. Their absentmindedness explains precisely why they felt it appropriate to take up this challenge, when it presented itself. They’re known affectionately by their friends as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, Dee being the elder (and more experienced) of the two.

Their tactics circle around wielding their hand crossbows, with daggers readied in their other hands. Normally, this would make things difficult, as it’s not possible to load their crossbows while their hands were occupied. However, these two have a rather… unique, way of fixing this problem. They begin with crossbow and dagger in hand, attack in unison (gaining flanking bonuses because their daggers let them threaten), then drop their daggers (a free action) to reload (also a free action due to their Rapid Reload feat). After which point, both once more draw fresh daggers (a free action due to their Quick Draw feats), fire while threatening once more, and repeat. By the end of a battle, the ground is, understandably, littered with daggers which have never been used, simply drawn and dropped. Did I mention Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum have low wisdom?

THE CRUNCH

Spells pre-cast before walking in : Greater Magic Weapon, Heroism.

Round 1 : Tarrasque
Free action : Both brothers stand in front of the Tarrasque, and, heedless of the danger the beast could – nay, SHOULD – pose to them, click their heels together in glee, activating 10 rounds of Haste. They then follow this with a full attack from their hand crossbows, in which every shot will hit thanks to the brilliant energy property – and each will be considered a sneak attack, due to flanking. Each attack the brothers hit with does 1d3+6 damage plus sneak attack, 17d6 per each paired attack (they have identical attack routines, Tweedle Dee does 9d6 sneak attack, Tweedle Dum does 8d6) for an average of 381 damage after damage reduction and Bane. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum now take a free action to shed a tear, because their precious Crippling Strike is useless against the Tarrasque. Moving on!

Running tally : Tarrasque down to 477 hit points, then regenerates 40, leaving it at 517. Current score : 381 damage.

Round two : Stah'bsuhar'me
An elf… has it been mentioned that these two don’t like elves all that much? Ah well. Sadly, this one will be left standing, as Tweedle Dee will attack with his full attack, while Tweedle Dum will interject partway through with a scroll of heal to drag the most out of his carcass. 339 points of damage will be dealt to an effective total of 368 hit points. But wait! Seven rounds of Crippling Strike will be dealt, which means 10 strength becomes 0, and anything remaining goes to constitution, for another 4 points of constitution damage – that drops his hit points by another 20, scoring 359 hit points out of a possible 368, bleeding out at -1. Since this is based on averages, this means it’s unlikely he’ll stabilize, scoring me another 6 points of damage. Total damage dealt : 366. And maybe someone will stabilize him when I’m finished with him.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 557 hit points
Current score : 747 damage

Round three : Tarrasque and Squishy McSofty
Tweedle Dee goes to the Tarrasque, using a Scroll of Heal to restore it another 150 hit points. The Tarrasque regenerates once more, giving it 393 hit points. Tweedle Dum quick draws and unloads a full attack into Squishy with his Human Bane crossbow, fully aware that he can’t sneak attack, and thus leaving only one dagger on the ground. The lowest attack bonus he has for this is +22, which more than beats Squishy’s armor class, and his average damage is 17x7, or 119 – enough to outright kill Squishy regardless, for 81 countable points of damage.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 597 hit points
Current score : 828 damage.

Round four : Mahjik'bugar'sme
This is the kind of guy these two hate. Full of himself, in all his shiny metal everything. Both brothers are required to show up here, as well, as they need the flanking – not to hit, no, but for the sneak attack. Tweedle Dee will attack, here, with Tweedle Dum casting a Heal scroll in the middle to ensure he gets the full damage possible from this. The elf will be left standing, but reeling, after taking 339 points of damage – more than they could have gotten had they simply annihilated him. On the other hand, he’ll be left helpless, with 0 strength, from Crippling Strike.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 637 hit points
Current score : 1167 damage

Round five : No'Rohgs
Simple, straight forward, half-orc. This time, since No’Rohgs carries no elf blood, it is more beneficial to doubly full attack him. Less than a round later, this half-orc is reduced to a fine red mist. Taking a 5-foot step forward, the brothers use quick-draw to “draw” their weapons from one another.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 687 hit points
Current score : 1485 damage

Round six : Tarrasque
Well, all of the other targets have been dealt with. Time to see to the big boy himself! For now, Tweedle Dee is going to full attack, while Tweedle Dum once more uses a scroll to heal Big T. 234 damage is dealt, while the Tarrasque gains 190 from healing and regen.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 643
Current score : 1719 damage

Round seven : Tarrasque
At this point, it’s doubtful Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum could need to worry about Tarrasque running out of hit points, so they unleash everything they’ve got on him. 381 damage is dealt, while Tarrasque heals 40.

Running tally : Tarrasque at 262
Current score : 2100 damage

Round eight : Tarrasque
Being this is the final round, Tarrasque will be given a moment to recover (delay until after he’s healed, Tarrasque is at 302 hit points). After that’s finished, it’s time to drop everything Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum have on him, totaling another 381 points of damage, crediting them for only 312 of them. Poor guys.

Final tally : Tarrasque at -79 hit points
Total score : 2412 damage.

Rigeld2
2007-03-13, 08:27 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#sling
You can fire, but not load, a sling with one hand. Loading a sling is a move action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#moveActions) that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm).

Rapid Reload [General]

Choose a type of crossbow (hand, light, or heavy).
Prerequisite

Weapon Proficiency (crossbow type chosen).

Rapid Reload doesnt help slings.

Quietus
2007-03-13, 08:31 AM
Oh, and to answer your question as to "Why would you ever want to be able to throw [snatched weapons] at anyone other than the attacker?" -

If I had a cohort throw weapons at ME, then I could throw them back at the guy/critter I'm fighting. Combine that with the double throw trick from the Master Thrower, who gets Snatch Arrow for free, and I could have my cohort throw something at both me and the enemy, I'd make a reflex save to grab it, followed by double throwing it back at both the enemy and my friend. My friend can then catch it, and throw it at the enemy again.

Too bad infinite deflection is Epic... Unending cycle of massthrows, anyone?

::Edit:: that was a typo - I originally caught that regarding slings, then changed it to hand crossbows. I'll edit that in.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-13, 09:32 AM
○ If a target reaches -10, any additional damage dealt to them is wasted (IE if you choose to spend four rounds Full Attacking Squishy McSofty, you'll only deal 81 points of damage).
BTW, just to point out the obvious ... this NEVER happens to the Tarrasque, non lethal damage has no effect at all on your hitpoints.

You can keep doing damage to him indefinitely, and he will never reach -10.

Quietus
2007-03-13, 09:40 AM
Ohh? In that case, I just gained somewhere around 1000 damage.

I'll leave things as they are for now, and if Lanky agrees with this, I'll go back and recalculate my damage. I wouldn't object to 3500+.

Actually, if that's the case, I'll pull out the Precise Shot feat for Rapid Shot, give them BOTH Magical Beast Bane weapons, and let them go at it. Every shot will still hit (Adding over 15 on my lowest shots vs touch AC of 5), for between the two of them, 147d6+140 damage a round. Screw the other people, I'm looking at 8 rounds of that. If that's the case, my final total comes out to 5232 damage. I could even push it up a bit higher by giving both of them two levels of Ranger, replacing my Two-Weapon Fighting feat with Improved Favored Enemy from Complete Warrior. That'll make it 19d6+30 for each paired shot, of which I make 7 a round, for 8 rounds - Up to 5376 that way.

Rykaj
2007-03-13, 11:16 AM
How can you sneak attack the tarrasque, as it is many size categories larger than your maximally sneakable opponent?

Rigeld2
2007-03-13, 11:17 AM
How can you sneak attack the tarrasque, as it is many size categories larger than your maximally sneakable opponent?
Because theres no such thing as a maximally sneakable opponent?

Rykaj
2007-03-13, 11:44 AM
Hah wow indeed, after rereading the SRD and PHB I've come to the conclusion that this is apparently a houserule of ours...

Could've sworn it said you could only sneak attack creatures within two size categories of your own size. Our group should get rid of that rule right away. Sorry about the retarded comment hehe.

Quietus
2007-03-13, 03:50 PM
It does actually say that if you can't reach a target's vitals, you can't sneak attack it. However, my build gets around that caveat, as I'm THREATENING with a dagger, while I'm actually STRIKING with a hand crossbow. That means anything (including throat, belly, and other soft underbits) within 30 feet of my halflings are fair game.

Also, it occurred to me that since one of my guys is packing a Magical Beast Bane hand crossbow, they would penetrate the Tarrasque's damage reduction. I'll have to sit down and rework things, as that can give me a fair bit of extra damage, I suspect.

okpokalypse
2007-03-13, 04:20 PM
If you take your first shot at the tarrasque in round 1, then don't come back to it until the end, it'll regen a bunch more HP that you can hit it for later. Because you have a cleric cohort with augmented healing and I only have a bard with UMD, you should be able to heal it for more than me and therefore do more total damage.

True, but I'm assuming that these PCs / Tarrasque don't just stand there and let me beat on em without an attempt at retaliation. I'm putting em down as soon as they appear and keeping em down.

I'm only willing to stretch combat concepts so far. :)

Draz74
2007-03-13, 04:28 PM
Round five : No'Rohgs
Simple, straight forward, half-orc. This time, since No’Rohgs carries no elf blood, it is more beneficial to doubly full attack him. Less than a round later, this half-orc is reduced to a fine red mist. Taking a 5-foot step forward, the brothers use quick-draw to “draw” their weapons from one another.

Among other things I'm not sure about in your post (like having Greater Magic Weapon pre-cast ... did the rules allow anything precasted for this contest???) ...

You do know this guy (No'Rohgs) can't be flanked, right? Greater Uncanny Dodge. That was his main purpose for being included in the contest. Forgive me if you have some other perfectly valid way of gaining sneak attack damage on him and I just cluelessly missed it.

Also, it occurred to me that since one of my guys is packing a Magical Beast Bane hand crossbow, they would penetrate the Tarrasque's damage reduction. I'll have to sit down and rework things, as that can give me a fair bit of extra damage, I suspect.

Since when do Bane weapons say anything about penetrating damage reduction?

Back to my previous question ... What stats array do we use for cohorts?

okpokalypse
2007-03-13, 04:33 PM
Screw the other people, I'm looking at 8 rounds of that. If that's the case, my final total comes out to 5232 damage. I could even push it up a bit higher by giving both of them two levels of Ranger, replacing my Two-Weapon Fighting feat with Improved Favored Enemy from Complete Warrior. That'll make it 19d6+30 for each paired shot, of which I make 7 a round, for 8 rounds - Up to 5376 that way.

I don't think that's nearly in the spirit of the competition. Otherwise, the Dual Conjurer / Master Specialists could unload an entire array of Meta-Magic'd Melf's at the Tarrasque the entire time, from a safe fly distance, for...

By my quickest estimations...

R1: 1480
R2: 960
R3: 960
R4: 960
R5: 960
R6: 720
R7: 720
R8: 480

Total... 7,240 Damage.

Douglas
2007-03-13, 04:41 PM
Since when do Bane weapons say anything about penetrating damage reduction?
They don't. They do, however, increase the weapon's enhancement bonus against the chosen enemy type, and Big T's DR is penetrated by epic weapons - weapons with +6 or higher enhancement bonuses. A +4 Magical Beast Bane weapon has an enhancement bonus of +6 against magical beasts such as the Tarrasque, enough to qualify as epic and penetrate its DR 15/epic.

Draz74
2007-03-13, 06:01 PM
Ah. Good point. I'd forgotten about that particular trick. I might have to use that on my cohort.

Cruiser1
2007-03-14, 06:33 PM
Items (DMG L17 Starting Gold: 340,000):
- Ring of Divine Reason (+6 Int [Sacred]) 72,000 gpv
Is the "Ring of Divine Reason" from any source book? Or is it a made up custom magic item whose price is calculated from the custom magic item rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)? If the latter, then it may need DM approval, to ensure its balanced. Is it even possible to create an ability bonus item that's not an enhancement bonus (i.e. that stacks with enhancement bonuses such as from a Headband of Intellect)? In the table in the link above, it says you can get saving throw and AC bonuses from "other" sources such as "sacred", but the only row for ability bonus says it has to be an "enhancement" bonus.

Draz74
2007-03-15, 02:14 AM
My entry, edited and completed.

Syzza Krinous
Wood Elf Rogue 7 / Ranger 1 / Assassin 9

Strength 34 (18 base +2 racial +4 boosts +6 item +4 tome)
Dexterity 19 (12 base +2 racial +1 tome +4 item)
Constitution 8 (10 base -2 racial)
Intelligence 16 (14 base -2 racial +4 item)
Wisdom 8
Charisma 18 (16 base +2 item)

BAB +12/+7/+2
Leadership score: 21

Feats (besides bonus feat Track):
L1: Two-Weapon Fighting
L3: (extra feat, don't know of anything useful to get)
L6: Leadership
L9: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
L12: Improved Critical: Kukri
L15: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

Relavent Class Abilities:
Favored Enemy +2: Magical Beasts
Sneak Attack +9d6

Equipment: +6 Belt of Giant Strength, +4 Tome of Gainful Exercise, +1 Tome of Quickness in Action, +4 Gloves of Dexterity, +4 Headband of Intellect, +2 Cloak of Charisma, +1 Magical-Beast-Bane Icy Burst Shocking Burst Kukri [x2], Boots of Speed, Metamagic Rod: Quicken, Lesser Metamagic Rod: Extend.

Total equipment cost: 334616 gp

Spells/Day: 4 / 4 / 4 / 2
Relevant spells known: Wraithstrike [Spell Compendium], Greater Invisibility

Cohort Soonga the Mopey
Half-Orc Cleric 15

Since I didn't ever find out what array to use for his stats, I'll use the elite array.

Strength 19 (15 +2 racial +2 boosts)
Dexterity 8
Constitution 12
Intelligence 8 (10 -2 racial)
Wisdom 18 (14 +4 item)
Charisma 18 (13 -2 racial +1 boost +6 item)

BAB +11/+6/+1
HP 86
Turn Attempts: 10/day

Domains: Destruction (grants Smite 1/day) and Strength (grants +9 Strength (beyond Divine Power bonus) for one round 1/day)

Feats: Quicken Spell, Power Attack, Divine Might, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Greatsword), Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Extra Turning

Equipment: +1 Shock Vicious Magical-Beast-Bane Greatsword, +6 Cloak of Charisma, Strand of Prayer Beads (healing & karma beads), Boots of Speed, +4 Periapt of Wisdom, Orange Ioun Stone, Scroll of Miracle, Goggles of See Invisibility (12000 gp).

Equipment total cost (200000 gp allowed): 196145

Spells/Day: 6 / 6+1 / 6+1 / 6+1 / 5+1 / 4+1 / 3+1 / 2+1 / 1+1
Relevant Spells Prepared:
(4) Greater Magic Weapon [x2], Divine Power
(5) Quickened Divine Favor, Righteous Might (domain)
(6) Quickened Owl's Wisdom
(7) Quickened Dispel Magic, Quickened Cure Serious Wounds
(8) Quickened Greater Magic Weapon

Time to fight!
Round 1

Syzza starts next to Squishy McSofty. Syzza uses his swift action to cast Greater Invisibility, which will allow him to Sneak Attack (even the Uncanny Dodge target), using his Quicken metamagic rod. He activates his boots of speed as a free action.

Syzza attacks Squishy with two attacks with a kukri. With an attack bonus of at least +23 (+12/+7 BAB +12 strength +2 invis +1 magic weapon +1 haste), these attacks automatically hit. They deal an average damage value of 54 each (2.5 base +12 str +31.5 sneak attack +8 magic/energy), ignoring the chance of crits. Squishy is very very dead.

Soonga activates his boots of speed as a free action. He uses his standard action to activate Bead of Karma for CL 20. He uses his swift action to cast Quickened Greater Magic Weapon on a Kukri. It is now a +5 weapon.

Round 2
Syzza and Soonga start out flanking Stah'bsuhar'me. Syzza delays and lets Soonga go first.

Soonga casts Greater Magic Weapon and Quickened Divine Favor. GMW is on Syzza's other Kukri this time.

Syzza uses his swift action to cast Wraithstrike, using a metamagic rod to Extend the spell. He must now hit a Touch AC, and dexterity/dodge bonuses also don't apply. Stah'bsuhar'me has an effective AC of 17 against him.

Syzza makes 4 attacks with his primary kukri (with haste). The least accurate of these have an attack bonus of +24 (+2 BAB +12 strength +2 invis +2 flank +5 magic weapon +1 haste). All of them hit, and have a 30% chance to crit. The weapon deals 58 damage on an average non-crit (2.5 base +5 enhance +12 str +7 energy +31.5 sneak), with an additional 30.5 on a crit. That comes out to be 67 average damage per hit, and 4 hits adds up to 268 damage. Stah'bsuhar'me is very dead.

Round 3
Syzza and Soonga start out next to each other, next to Mahjik'bugar'sme. Syzza still has Wraithstrike for one more round. He drops the Quicken Metamagic Rod next to Soonga as a free action, and delays the rest of his turn while Soonga goes.

Soonga uses his move action to pick up the metamagic rod. He casts targetted Quickened Dispel Magic on the opponent's shield of Fortification, automatically making the caster level check (vs. CL 13) to deactivate the shield for this turn. He casts Righteous Might on himself for a +4 size bonus to Strength.

Syzza attacks Mahjik'bugar'sme with the same four attacks that he used on Stah'bsuhar'me. Mahjik'bugar'sme is even easier to hit, with an effective AC of 10, and takes the same 268 damage. He is dead.

Round 4
Syzza and Soonga start out flanking No'Rohgs. Syzza lets Soonga go first this time.

Soonga uses the metamagic rod to cast Divine Power on himself as a swift action, giving him +15 BAB and 29 strength and 20 temporary HP. He spends a turn attempt to activate his Divine Might feat, adding +4 damage from Charisma to every attack this round. He also activates his domain powers, so for just one round, he has 38 strength, and +15 damage to one attack (which I'll assume, for mathematical simplicity, hits; I'm also ignoring the +4 to-hit chance it gives).

He makes a full attack with a +31/+26/+21 attack bonus (+15 BAB +14 Strength +1 weapon focus +3 luck -1 size +1 magic weapon +1 haste +2 flank -5 power attack). His attack deals an average of 53.5 damage when it hits (7 greatsword +21 str +11.5 magic/energy +4 Charisma +10 power attack). According to the wonderful Power Attack Calculator (http://direpress.bin.sh/tools/power.html), his average damage for these three attacks, including miss chance and crit chance, is 125.5 (yes, I did remember the target's DR), +15 for Smite. No'Rohgs has 167.5 HP left. Soonga loses up to 10.5 temporary hit points to his vicious weapon.

Syzza casts another Extended Wraithstrike as a swift action. He must hit an effective AC of 8. All his attacks easily hit, even with TWF penalties. Without sneak attack, and with DR, he deals 30.5 average damage per hit (2.5 base +5 enhance +12 str +7 energy -5 DR ... +11 energy +19.5 extra on crits, which averages to +9) with the primary weapon. The secondary weapon does 22.5 average damage with the reduced strength bonuses (and only +7 from crits). No'Rohgs takes a total of 189.5 damage from this full attack. He is dead, hallelujah.

Round 5
Time to get dirty with the Tarrasque. The two heroes flank their target.

Soonga uses the Quicken rod one last time to cast GMW again, this time on his own sword, as a swift action. Now fully buffed, he uses another charge of Divine Might and full-attacks the Tarrasque. He has the same attack bonuses as before, +4 attack/damage from GMW, +2 hit / +2+2d6 damage for his Bane weapon. His weapon, with an effective enhancement bonus of +7, also pierces the Tarrasque's DR.

The Power Attack calculator recommends that Soonga power attack for only -1 to hit. With that level of Power Attack, and with miss chances and crits factored in, Soonga deals 123.5 damage to the Tarrasque (rounding down to the nearest .5 damage). He takes another 10.5 vicious damage, leaving him with no temporary HP and 2 damage.

Syzza still has Wraithstrike. He must hit AC 5 - oh no! :smalltongue: He can easily do that, even though he will now be accepting -2 penalties on attacks for TWF. His weapons also penetrate the DR.

Each attack from Syzza's primary hand does 69 average damage on a non-crit (2.5 kukri +12 str +7 enhancement +7 bane +31.5 sneak +7 energy +2 favored enemy). Crits (30%) add +11 energy, +23.5 other damage. The primary kukri therefore does 79 average damage per hit. The secondary kukri does 8 less damage per hit due to a lesser strength bonus (with the -6 penalty doubled on crits). Total damage from this full attack is therefore (79*4)+(71*3) = 316+213 = 529 damage.

Round 6
The Tarrasque regenerates 40 HP, leaving it with 612.5 damage and 245.5 HP remaining. Our heroes continue to flank it.

Soonga activates Divine Might yet again. He full attacks with -1 Power Attack for the same average 123.5 damage as before. Just because he can, he casts Quickened Cure Serious Wounds and heals all of the damage he has taken from his Vicious weapon.

Syzza casts Wraithstrike one last time. He full attacks for the same 529 damage as last time. The Tarrasque has -407 HP.

Round 7
The Tarrasque regenerates up to -367 HP.

Syzza spits on its corpse.

Soonga casts Quickened Owl's Wisdom on his master, so that he will know not to act so rude. Then he draws his Scroll of Miracle as a move action and casts Miracle to make the Tarrasque stay dead. (He easily has the Caster Level necessary to use the scroll without rolling.)

Round 8
Syzza says, "Wait, we still get another round? But there's nothing left to attack!"
Soonga mopes. "But we barely even used a splatbook," he says. "Just your Wraithstrike spells. And my Divine Might, I suppose, which is in the SRD -- and which we didn't even need."
"Yeah," Syzza says, "and except for Wraithstrike we didn't even use anything cheesy."
"You don't think Bead of Karma (and Healing) for only 9000 gp is cheesy?" Soonga counters.

Total damage done: 1738 (in other words, all of it).

Rigeld2
2007-03-15, 11:17 AM
Round 3
Syzza and Soonga start out next to each other, next to Mahjik'bugar'sme. Syzza still has Wraithstrike for one more round. He drops the Quicken Metamagic Rod next to Soonga as a free action, and delays the rest of his turn while Soonga goes.

Soonga uses his move action to pick up the metamagic rod. He casts targetted Quickened Dispel Magic on the opponent's shield of Fortification, automatically making the caster level check (vs. CL 13) to deactivate the shield for this turn. He casts Righteous Might on himself for a +4 size bonus to Strength.

Syzza attacks Mahjik'bugar'sme with the same four attacks that he used on Stah'bsuhar'me. Mahjik'bugar'sme is even easier to hit, with an effective AC of 10, and takes the same 268 damage. He is dead.

How did you end up getting sneak attack damage on this guy? I guess assuming you win initiative even after delaying?

Draz74
2007-03-15, 11:23 AM
How did you end up getting sneak attack damage on this guy? I guess assuming you win initiative even after delaying?

... no, I was forgetting (until right after I posted) that Improved Uncanny Dodge automatically includes normal Uncanny Dodge too. D'oh!

Oh well, I'll just have to kill him in one round without using Sneak Attack at all. I'll just use TWF, and if that's not enough, I'll have the cleric switch his strength boost/smite to that round instead of Round 6.

Edit forthcoming.

Rigeld2
2007-03-15, 11:28 AM
... no, I was forgetting (until right after I posted) that Improved Uncanny Dodge automatically includes normal Uncanny Dodge too. D'oh!

Oh well, I'll just have to kill him in one round without using Sneak Attack at all. I'll just use TWF, and if that's not enough, I'll have the cleric switch his strength boost/smite to that round instead of Round 6.

Edit forthcoming.
The Fighter 20 (who you had to Dispel to get rid of Fortification, and who I was asking about) doesnt have IUD. But if youre not flanking him, how do you get Sneak Attack damage on him? Or, like I said, are you assuming you go before him, even delaying your action?

Draz74
2007-03-15, 11:51 AM
The Fighter 20 (who you had to Dispel to get rid of Fortification, and who I was asking about) doesnt have IUD. But if youre not flanking him, how do you get Sneak Attack damage on him? Or, like I said, are you assuming you go before him, even delaying your action?

Oh, whoops. Should have read more carefully.

Greater Invisibility is the answer, though.

Rigeld2
2007-03-15, 11:54 AM
Oops.. missed that. Thanks.

Edit: Just noticed something... the fighter has way way way too many feats. Toughness isnt a Fighter feat.

Draz74
2007-03-15, 12:00 PM
Oops.. missed that. Thanks.

Edit: Just noticed something... the fighter has way way way too many feats. Toughness isnt a Fighter feat.

Heh, good point. I guess Lankybugger is houseruling that. :smallamused:

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-15, 07:25 PM
It's not?

Wow. I guess it's something I pretty much instantly houserule in every game. It makes sense to me. *shrugs*

Oh, and in answer to an earlier question... Damage dealt to yourself doesn't count.