PDA

View Full Version : What you do when you are bored?

Tzevaot
2014-08-30, 04:22 PM
So I'm beyond boredom and I have like no ideas of what to do.

Do you guys have any advices of what do in a situation like this?

I'm in a small room there is a computer with an super slow internet(so no youtube or games), a window to the street full of passers by, one nintendo 64 with only pokemon stadium 1 working and a tv that do not work.

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 05:24 PM
Read a book? That's usually what I do when I get totally stumped for any kind of electronic entertainment (and also, anyway, but that's not the point).

Failing that, go out and find something to do. Visit a local attraction, musem, or just go for a walk round town. Or find a recipe for something that you'd like to eat wouldn't normally bother to cook, either because it's too time-consuming or too much effort, and make that.

If I'm really incredi-bored, fed up of reading and for whatever reason can't or don't want to cook or go out, then there's almost always some useful housework I can find to do, whether that's general tidying, hoovering, mopping, ironing, etc. It's not a lot of fun, but it's better than staring into space accomplishing nothing.

valadil
2014-08-30, 08:53 PM
Read, play guitar, paint minis, write games, go for a walk, go for a bike ride, do errands, cook, take a nap, blog, and space the hell out. I have two kids (3 years and 7 months) and no time for any of these things.

factotum
2014-08-31, 04:52 AM
Why does slow internet mean no games? There are no game shops in your town where you can get physical CDs? Or, for that matter, there are downloadable games which are extremely small indeed--go and check some of the older stuff that GoG offers, for example!

Don Julio Anejo
2014-08-31, 05:19 AM
It sounds like you're in a hotel room/hospital and can't leave for some reason? If so, you can always check out fanfiction. Unlike actual books, you don't need to pay for it (most authors post their stuff for free).

If you'd like to get started, TV Tropes has a great recommendations page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanFicRecommendations). Just pick a setting you like (i.e. Stargate or Harry Potter) and start reading fics. Who knows, you might find a lot of gems in the rough. Most things posted to the TV Tropes recs page are pretty good, so you avoid the usual stories of teenage girls named Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, and instead get to read gems like Fictional (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5871255/1/Fictional) - the story of Harry Potter as he's summoned to fight in the Fate/Stay Night Holy Grail War. Plot twist? Harry Potter books exist in the setting, and his summoner fully knows he is a fictional character.

Asta Kask
2014-08-31, 07:28 AM
Listen to music.

endoperez
2014-08-31, 10:01 AM
There are lots of hobbies that would work.

Personally when I'm bored, I might...

do some taichi
read a book, or a comic
draw
check if there's anything interesting going on in the radio
do housework, cleaning, dishes, ironing etc.
go out for a walk
cook or bake something
and of course - sleep. At least for the first night or two, that'd be quite enough excitement.

Tzevaot
2014-08-31, 10:17 AM
I guess I should have been more clear. I'm at an university that my mother works and while I wait for her I'm in a small computer lab.

I will be there every saturday.. So yeah bored as hell.

Durkoala
2014-08-31, 11:49 AM
Raid the printers for paper and do some drawing/writing. Don't worry if you can't draw-- just doodle. Start with a random scribble, then look for things to make it into with the addition of a line or two. You can end up with surprisingly complex things.

Or just bring a book: we've got several threads about books in the Media discussions.

Tzevaot
2014-08-31, 05:02 PM
Raid the printers for paper and do some drawing/writing. Don't worry if you can't draw-- just doodle. Start with a random scribble, then look for things to make it into with the addition of a line or two. You can end up with surprisingly complex things.

Or just bring a book: we've got several threads about books in the Media discussions.

Sounds fun I will try it next time.

I'm reading "The king in yellow" but I don't like to read books in uncomfortable places. it is something I have.

Tebryn
2014-09-01, 12:57 AM
I make lets plays, at least talking to myself keeps me company.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-04, 09:39 PM
Pick a famous author (I usually read Orwell essays and Lovecraft's work) look for his/her work online, read to heart's content. Static text isn't too demanding on the internet, plenty of books are up there for free, you might learn something, and it can provide many hours of riveting entertainment.

Find some news outlets, read the news. World events are pretty interesting right about now, The Onion also works.

Download a game you've heard about, play it.

Take a game you already have and like. Play with a completely different playstyle. Get out of your comfort zone, do things you were scared to do before.

Get on a dating site and start chatting.

Get on this forum and post to topics you're interested in.

Visit /tg/ and watch the flames.

Talk to some of the university kids.

Take a musical instrument and practice.