PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Decent Plant Creatures and/or Creatures of the Earth Subtype?

Dunsparce
2014-08-30, 04:54 PM
A fellow player in my group got the ability to Rebuke Earth Creatures and Plants via a custom item, and I was wondering if there are any decent creatures to rebuke of either type?

MilesTiden
2014-08-30, 05:19 PM
For Earth subtype creatures, the majority of them are going to be earth elementals, creatures native to the elemental plane of earth, and certain dragons. Most of the time, the last of those is going to be the most common. In core, both Blue and Copper dragons have the earth subtype, but there are actually quite a few dragons with the earth subtype outside of core. Off the top of my head, brown dragons, brainstealer dragons, and I think amethyst dragons. I'm not sure though. As for plant creatures... eh. Plant creatures are very underused, in my experience. Which is a shame.

Urpriest
2014-08-30, 06:39 PM
Tendriculos is nice as a Wildshape form. Not sure if it's good in this context, though...without Rebuking-level boosters you're getting one at 18th level, where it's almost certainly not worth it.

Dunsparce
2014-08-31, 05:52 AM
Are Xorns any good? What about Yellow Musk Creepers?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-31, 06:48 AM
Tendriculos is nice as a Wildshape form. Not sure if it's good in this context, though...without Rebuking-level boosters you're getting one at 18th level, where it's almost certainly not worth it.

That's a general problem with rebuking/commanding though and not limited to plant creatures.

Yellow Musk Creepers can be used to create a bunch of useful minions and their HD are low so they can be useful. Thoqqua can be used as tunnelers.
Galeb Duhr (MM2) are 8HD creatures that get CL 20 SLA's and 300ft tremorsense. Magma Hurler (MHB) can be somewhat useful. Earth Whisper (RoS) are incorporeal with 4HD.
Crysmal (XPH) get some low level PLA's and can reproduce on their own with a few hundred gold in gems.

Khatoblepas
2014-08-31, 03:17 PM
With Mineralize Warrior (http://dndtools.eu/spells/underdark--34/mineralize-warrior--3511/) you can rebuke humanoids as well, and they don't lose class levels, so there's something. You'll have to get them willing to become stony creatures, though.