PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Homebrew Oracle Curse: Obsession

Blind_Prophet
2014-08-30, 06:23 PM
So I've got a player who I'm trying to work up a custom curse to suit her character.

She was actually cursed months back and we've never really locked down it's effects, I usually just make up things to handicap her as we go.

In general the idea is that she has a supernatural obsession with anything shiny, glowing, etc.

The "curse" usually manifests itself as a Will Save vs. Compulsion with a failed save basically means she misses her turn but I really need to lock down the exact DC formula, especially since it varies depending on "volume" of shinies (ie. 1 gold coin vs a dragon's hoard)

I also have no real idea what sort of "bonuses" to offset it with.

Note: My plan if I come up with a concept I like is to make the target of obsession an easy variable for future campaigns.

Any ideas?

MrNobody
2014-08-31, 05:25 AM
After a quick barinstorming i came up with this.

Obsessed

The Oracle has a strong obsession with anything that is shiny and has an obvious monetary value. This is not simple greed, but a deep spiritual connection with rare materials that drives the oracle to treasures like gravity pull him to the ground.

When activated by the presence of a beautiful treasure, this curse makes the oracle dazed for 1 round.
The first time the oracle see a treasure he must make a Will save opposed to the DC given below: if he fails the save he is dazed for one round (compulsion effect). Once passed that round the oracle cannot be made dazed by the same treasure for the next 24h.

DC 10 -> treasure worth 10 gp or less.
DC 15 -> treasure worth 100 gp or less.
DC 20 -> treasure worth 1000 gp or less.
DC 25 -> treasure worth 10000 gp or less.
DC 30 -> treasure worth 100000 gp or less.

The oracle he gains immunity to compulsion effects (but not to the effect of this curse).

At 5th level the oracle also gains immunity to fear effects

At 10th level the oracle also gains immunity to all mind affecting effects (but still not to the effect of this curse).

At 15th level an Obsessed oracle is able to drive others inside his own obsession. When he is required a save to resist his curse he can select a number of other creatures equal or less than his Charisma modifier that are also able to see the treasure that triggers the curse. Those creatures must make a Will save with a DC equal to 10+1/2 oracle level+his Cha modifier or to the base DC for the treasure value (whichever is higher) or become dazed. This is a compulsion effect.

I hope you liked the idea and find it useful:smallsmile:

With a box
2014-08-31, 05:38 AM
After a quick barinstorming i came up with this.

Obsessed

The Oracle has a strong obsession with anything that is shiny and has an obvious monetary value. This is not simple greed, but a deep spiritual connection with rare materials that drives the oracle to treasures like gravity pull him to the ground.

When activated by the presence of a beautiful treasure, this curse makes the oracle dazed for 1 round.
The first time the oracle see a treasure he must make a Will save opposed to the DC given below: if he fails the save he is dazed for one round (compulsion effect). Once passed that round the oracle cannot be made dazed by the same treasure for the next 24h.

The oracle he gains immunity to compulsion effects (but not to the effect of this curse.

At 10th level the oracle also gains immunity to all mind affecting effects.

At 15th level an Obsessed oracle is able to drive others inside his own obsession. When he is required a save to resist his curse he can select a number of other creatures equal or less than his Charisma modifier that are also able to see the treasure that triggers the curse. Those creatures must make a Will save with a DC equal to 10+1/2 oracle level+his Cha modifier or to the base DC for the treasure value (whichever is higher) or become dazed. This is a compulsion effect.

I hope you liked the idea and find it useful:smallsmile:

you forgot to add "not to this" declaimer at 10th level mind affecting immunity

MrNobody
2014-08-31, 06:38 AM
you forgot to add "not to this" declaimer at 10th level mind affecting immunity

It was already indicated in the 1st level description, but to clarify i've added it. Thanks!:smallsmile:

Blind_Prophet
2014-08-31, 09:49 AM
Heh as usual the GITP forum goers come through :D I love your idea Mr.Nobody but I'd like to make some adjustments to the wording to better suit her and be a bit more general.

Also the DC scale based on value is a good start but often she goes after stuff like spoons or most recently she found those shiny silver balls that people put on cupcakes (edible) and swiped those so while I'm definitely keeping the value scale I need to somehow work in "modifiers" (ie. if its a bit dirty the DC goes down, if its a super shiny 1gp spoon the DC increases) I'm not sure how to quantify that though.

Anyways how's this look?

Obsessed

The Oracle has a strong obsession with anything that is shiny, glowing or otherwise alluring. This is not simple greed, but a deep seated need that drives the oracle to the object of desire like gravity pulls her to the ground.

When activated by such a presence, this curse makes the oracle dazed for 1 round. The first time the oracle see a treasure she must make a Will save opposed to the DC given below: if she fails the save she must move as close to the object as possible than become dazed for one round (compulsion effect) whilst they study it (method of study up to the oracle visual, touch, lick, etc.). Once passed that round the oracle cannot be made dazed by the same target for the next 24h.

At 1st Some sort of movement bonus of all types (does not GRANT special movement types) *All the better to get to the object of desire* (thinking +5 or 10ft)

At 10th level the oracle also gains immunity to all mind affecting effects (not to the effect of this curse).

At 15th level an Obsessed oracle is able to drive others inside her own obsession. When he is required a save to resist his curse he can select a number of other creatures equal or less than his Charisma modifier that are also able to see the treasure that triggers the curse. Those creatures must make a Will save with a DC equal to 10+1/2 oracle level+his Cha modifier or to the base DC for the treasure value (whichever is higher) or become dazed. This is a compulsion effect.