PDA

View Full Version : Warlock: no shadow walk?

Ecchicon
2014-08-30, 08:30 PM
I was discussing characters with my wife today, and she seemed interested in the warlock class. I tried to describe them based on my knowledge of them in other editions and form the novels I had read (specifically Effron, and mentioned moving through shadows specifically.

But, correct me if I simply cannot find it, it seems there is no shadow walk in 5e. Based on how Effron moved about in those Salvatore novels, this seems like a huge change.

Am I missing something?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-30, 08:44 PM
Shadow Walk is now a Monk archetype ability. The Way of Shadow, specifically.

HorridElemental
2014-08-31, 07:17 PM
Mist Step is pretty much the same ability. Fluff it differently and call it a day.

da_chicken
2014-08-31, 09:20 PM
I was discussing characters with my wife today, and she seemed interested in the warlock class. I tried to describe them based on my knowledge of them in other editions and form the novels I had read (specifically Effron, and mentioned moving through shadows specifically.

But, correct me if I simply cannot find it, it seems there is no shadow walk in 5e. Based on how Effron moved about in those Salvatore novels, this seems like a huge change.

Am I missing something?

5e is not 4e, and novels are secondary to the game. The class was not changed with the idea that FR novels should be consistent regardless of which edition it was written in reference to. The novels have always had this issue. It's going to be particularly noticeable with 4e books, as 4e is very much the odd man out.

Best approximations in 5e is the One With Shadows invocation and the Archfey's Misty Escape.