PDA

View Full Version : Warforged in 5e

Rhyvurg
2014-08-30, 10:19 PM
I wanted to know if anyone had done anything for 'forged in 5e, because robot people are AWESOME, and I found this: http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3737521

Warforged:
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft
vision: normal
languages: common
ability score adjustment: +1 con

Built for war:
All warforged starts play with armored plating on their body.
They may chose between
Light AC 11+dex
Medium AC 13+dex
Heavy 15 speed -5ft
This plating may not be switched at a later point (except DM intervention).
Each 5 levels the AC goes up with 1 due to training and tinkering as the warforged repairs itself.

1/2 Construct:
Healing only grants 50% of its effect.
May be repaired.
No need for sleep, breath or food.

Hard to kill:
Due to its constructed nature, the warforged will autocratically stabilise itself when reduced to fewer than 0 hitpoints.

Subraces:

Warforged Scout
+10 ft speed
+1 dex
Limited to light AC

Psiforged
+1 Int/Wis (psion stat)
Gain 2 powerpoints

Juggernaut
-5 ft speed
+1 Strenght
+1d8 on charge
Must take heavy AC

The +1 AC every 5 levels feels like a little much to me, but what do you guys think?

rlc
2014-08-30, 10:50 PM
sounds pretty terrible.
-lowest ability score improvements.
-the heavy armor makes absolutely no sense to take, because it's going to be the weakest option.
-the +1 ac every 5 levels sounds like the person who made this doesn't understand the point of this edition.
-i guess the 1/2 construct thing is supposed to be there for flavor, but he probably added it to "balance it."
-the hard to kill thing is okay, i guess. i thought "autocratically" was funny, though.
-the scout is an okay subrace, probably the thing that sucks the least.
-the psiforged assumes that this edition is going to use the same system as the last one for its psions. but yeah, still sounds pretty weak.
-the juggernaut sounds terrible.

0/10.

Lord Raziere
2014-08-30, 11:21 PM
I think I can do better. I have both the 4e and 3.5 versions of Warforged.

Warforged:
ability score adjustment: +2 Constitution

Living Construct:
You do not need to eat, drink, breath, breath or sleep. Instead of sleeping, you enter a state of inactivity for four hours to gain the benefits of an extended rest.

Built In Armor:
The Warfoged's armor class is equal to 12 plus their Dexterity Modifier.

Warforged Resilience:
You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage

Subraces:
Soldier Warforged:
+2 Strength
Weapon Training:
You have proficiency with one weapon of your choice

Arcane-Forged:
+1 Intelligence
Spell Training:
You gain one cantrip of your choice that you can use once per day, use Intelligence as its spellcasting bonus.

pwykersotz
2014-08-30, 11:58 PM
I think I can do better. I have both the 4e and 3.5 versions of Warforged.

Warforged:
ability score adjustment: +2 Constitution

Living Construct:
You do not need to eat, drink, breath, breath or sleep. Instead of sleeping, you enter a state of inactivity for four hours to gain the benefits of an extended rest.

Built In Armor:
Warforged gain a +2 bonus AC

Warforged Resilience:
You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage

Subraces:
Soldier Warforged:
+2 Strength
Weapon Training:
You have proficiency with one weapon of your choice

Arcane-Forged:
+1 Intelligence
Spell Training:
You gain one cantrip of your choice that you can use once per day, use Intelligence as its spellcasting bonus.

To match the edition, you're going to want to change that +2 to Armor into "Their armor class is equal to 12 plus their Dexterity Modifier."

Lord Raziere
2014-08-31, 12:01 AM
Edited and done.

Foodle
2014-08-31, 12:12 AM
I think in the playtest they got +1 STR/CON and a +1 to AC, plus all the "not having to eat/drink/breathe" stuff.

Zweisteine
2014-08-31, 08:38 PM
Here's a draft of the home-brew war forged I'm working on as part of my project to update various aspects of Eberron (it's in the homebrew section of this site). I don't have my actual work in front of me, so this is only what I remember off the top of my head.

I used sub races to describe different types of construction, and haven't yet moved on to the more advance types, like psiforged.

+2 Con, +1 Strength (might replace str boost with subrace-based boost)
Immune to disease, advantage on saves against poison and some other stuff, resistance to poison damage
You don't sleep, you enter a sleep-like state for 4 hours each night
You don't eat/drink/breathe

Subraces:
Steel: +1 AC, 30 ft speed, something else mithral doesn't have
Mithral: +2 AC, 35 ft speed
Adamantine: +3 AC, 25 ft speed

I'm working on a way to include the subtleties of the warforged race without making anything too complex. I keep wanting to add darkvision, but that's never been a warforged thing.

EDIT:

To match the edition, you're going to want to change that +2 to Armor into "Their armor class is equal to 12 plus their Dexterity Modifier."
That almost makes sense, but even in the playtest, when they already had the "set AC to X+dex, the warforged had a static +1 AC. They also are allowed to wear armor, so their composite plating gives them a bonus over that. Setting a warforged's AC to 12+dex is pretty bad, because a warforged fighter (y'know, most warforged) is doing to want more AC than that.

Bubzors
2014-09-01, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know if they will be releasing an official warforged race? Just wondering because they play a pretty big part in my campaign and would be nice to know if WoTC will release stuff on them.

Sartharina
2014-09-01, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if they will be releasing an official warforged race? Just wondering because they play a pretty big part in my campaign and would be nice to know if WoTC will release stuff on them.

Yes, they are. It's in the DMG.

HorridElemental
2014-09-01, 10:35 AM
Warforged should have a version of "Disguise Self" at-will.

Call it... Transform.

It allows the Warforged to transform into any inanimate object of its size (or one size smaller or larger). Perhaps allow for buggies and carts...

Maybe work it like the tiefling's ability that gets better as they level and they can eventually turn into some very low CR animals...

They can turn into chairs, doors, a dog, or a cart? But the item always looks metal and mechanical.

Sartharina
2014-09-01, 10:41 AM
Warforged should have a version of "Disguise Self" at-will.

Call it... Transform.

It allows the Warforged to transform into any inanimate object of its size (or one size smaller or larger). Perhaps allow for buggies and carts...

Maybe work it like the tiefling's ability that gets better as they level and they can eventually turn into some very low CR animals...

They can turn into chairs, doors, a dog, or a cart? But the item always looks metal and mechanical.
Meh, Beast Wars was better.

Chaosvii7
2014-09-01, 11:12 AM
sounds pretty terrible.
-lowest ability score improvements.
-the heavy armor makes absolutely no sense to take, because it's going to be the weakest option.
-the +1 ac every 5 levels sounds like the person who made this doesn't understand the point of this edition.
-i guess the 1/2 construct thing is supposed to be there for flavor, but he probably added it to "balance it."
-the hard to kill thing is okay, i guess. i thought "autocratically" was funny, though.
-the scout is an okay subrace, probably the thing that sucks the least.
-the psiforged assumes that this edition is going to use the same system as the last one for its psions. but yeah, still sounds pretty weak.
-the juggernaut sounds terrible.

0/10.

Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

WARFORGED

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution increases by 2.
Size. Warforged range from as short as 4 feet to as broad as 6 and a half feet, each of varying weights which are typically greater than the average humanoid due to being made of processed metals and crafted chassis. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common.
Half Construct. You are resistant to Necrotic damage and have advantage on saving throws against enchantment spells. When reduced to 0 hit points, you automatically stabilize, but you must have the Mending spell cast on you before you can return to consciousness. You do not need to eat or breathe, but must still sleep.
Composite Plating. Where normal people wear armor, your armor is fitted around you in the form of a composite plating, which can be taken off and refitted like their armor. Your Armor Class is increased by 1.
----
SUBRACES

Warforged Scout

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 1.
Darkvision. Warforged Scouts are designed with advanced optic sensors, and are thus able to see more acutely in darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Scouting. When you take the Dash action, you may attempt to Hide or Search as a bonus action at the end of your movement.

Warforged Juggernaut

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength increases by 1.
Armor Spikes. You are covered in thick metallic spikes that you can retract and eject on command. When you successfully Grapple a target, you deal damage to the target each round they are grappled equal to your Strength modifier.
Powerful Charge. When you take the Dash action, you may attempt to make a Melee Weapon Attack or Grapple as a bonus action at the end of your movement.

HorridElemental
2014-09-01, 11:25 AM

Which matters exactly diddly squat in this conversation.

Draken
2014-09-01, 12:01 PM

Let us compromise and go for Beast Machines instead. Hahaha. To be serious, BM was subpar.

rlc
2014-09-01, 03:22 PM

yes, and at least for right now, it might be safe to assume that they will eventually be releasing an official version of every official race ever created, as well as at least one or two new races.

he asked what we thought and i said what i thought. it's not like he made it anyway.