PDA

View Full Version : Iron Gods: Fires of Creation Team A IC

Benson
2014-08-31, 02:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oyNAnd7l.jpg

(Inspiring image)

Part 1: Fires of Creation
It had been eight days since the violet torch atop Black Hill went out. Rumors and gossip spreading like wildfire with the town council doing their best to keep citizens from outright panicking in the streets. Faced with other problems such as figuring out how to handle their refuse and waste with the torch now out, they have had a lot on their plates. It was not made easier with Councilor Khonnir Baine having had gone missing two days prior, his expertise would have been greatly valued. To add more troubles to their ever growing list, in the past week there have been increased reports of townsfolk experiencing splitting headaches. Many have flocked to Jhestine Imierin at Tempting Tonics in hopes of a quick fix to their headaches.

The day before on Oathday, the Council had themselves their weekly meeting where they agreed to the reward of four thousand gold coins to any one or party that could find and bring back their missing councilor, along with a scroll of resurrection should he be brought back alive.

Place: Torch

Day: 21 Fireday (Friday) of Arodus (August)

Time: 12:00 pm

On a hot day like today, Crowfeather Lake found itself being flocked by many townsfolk trying to figure out a way to beat the heat. Others sought cold drinks whether at the Copper Coin where the Rimos siblings were hard at work with a new dessert involving barrels of ice and several gallons of milk. Or the Foundry Tavern where one could enjoy a nice cool breeze indoors, courtesy of Khonnir Baine and a device of his own invention. Such a little invention made the Foundry Tavern quite a popular place attributing a reason to why it was always packed.

At the moment young Val, aged seventeen, Khonnir Baine's adopted daughter would be found doing her best in keeping things running, making sure serving wenches did not neglect patrons or that the bartender didn't fill mugs too much that ale spilled over. She sported a clear look of distress on her face and one could bet it was not due to being overworked right now.
----

But more importantly, what were our soon to be heroes up to on this particularly hot afternoon?

iTookUrNick
2014-08-31, 08:47 AM
Mag has been at the Foundry Tavern since morning. He put up a scribbled note on the door of his small shop pointing potential clients this way but no one showed up so far, something to be expected considering the general situation in town, so he's been mulling over hid decision over a cup of coffee.

He and Val had a serious discussion earlier on, regarding the possibility of him joining the next expedition into the caves below the hill. She came up with all sorts of reasonable objections: that he's not an adventurer, that he's old and hardly fit for the job, that he's not in need of money, that his expertise might be put to better use within the city, and even that she's got no one else in the world should he disappear like so many others have, including Khonnir himself. For his part Mag tried to explain to her that the old man had saved him from certain death as a kid, and that he felt it was his duty to do the same should no one else step up to the task. He was usually very good at convincing people, but for some reason that ability did not extend to dealing with his 'family'. In the end she had cut the conversation short, saying that she had a business to run and that he would be smart enough to decide for himself what was the right thing to do.

Hazuki
2014-08-31, 10:30 AM
In the leftmost room of her home, Inmortia had been sitting in the clammy darkness and contemplating her next move. The muscular woman sat in a simple robe, her legs folded together as she kept her half-lidded eyes focused on the simple sheet of paper laid out before her. It was quite clear what it was she had to do, if she was to defend the people of Torch and earn their respect, but she would not rush into action without first considering the repercussions. And as she'd first thought, every possibility she silently proposed led to the conclusion that entering the tunnels in the wake of all the other expeditions would be the best choice for her. Waiting wasn't making a decision; it was allowing others to. Hiring mercenaries was time-consuming, and held the risk of the town falling while she was either away or waiting for aid. Running away would work, but it would be the coward's way out.

So she was left with little choice but to act. Inmortia wiped herself down with a wet rag and spent the next few minutes donning her distinctive armor; leather straps and plates wrapped together with the shimmering steel of Iomodae's plate armor, far too small for her form. She tied her star-laden hair into a tightly-bundled ponytail, sheathed her blade across her shoulder, then placed her twisted mask at her hip; it was not needed yet. Then she left her home, in search of the nearest village council member she could approach to tell of her intentions, and who might direct her to other volunteers willing to delve in search of their errant wizard.

Phasm
2014-09-01, 12:43 AM
Paivi has also been in the Foundry Tavern since the heat of the day picked up. She can handle the heat if she has to; there are few ways to escape it, roaming the plains. That doesn't mean she likes it. The fierce-looking Kellid has been slowly drinking cool ales over the hours, challenging strong-looking locals to arm-wrestling contests, playing and frequently winning games of darts, and giving the old man in the faded Technic League uniform a very evil eye. Pretty much the same things many of the locals are doing.

So far, the most promising lead on both 'what Milani sent me here for' and 'ways to earn my keep' is the town council's reward for Khonnir Baine's safe return. After all, the wizard had gone to investigate the hill of flame. But Paivi knows all too well that she alone cannot perform such a mission. She wipes her forehead and throws another dart to cheers from those who bet on her and groans from those who didn't. Perhaps a swim would be better than drinks and the wizard's fan. But I will learn little there, and hopefully the fan will lure other warriors to this place. A scholar of ruins will be necessary as well...

stack
2014-09-02, 11:26 AM
Roland sits in a cool corner of the Foundry Tavern, taking in the gossip and nursing his drink. His bruises and just fading from his last ill-fated adventure, resulting in a long recovery time and only a few scraps of starmetal to show for it (and to keep him eating with a roof over his head). Some people have no appreciation for a freelance archeologist. Especially the Technic League. Only his wounds had kept him from Baine's expedition, a fact filled him with both gratitude and consternation. Would they have come back if he had been there? Or would he be missing too?

There'll be another expedition put together soon enough, too much worry flying around not to. Suppose I'll have to go along. Though if Baine couldn't handle it with the crew he had...who knows. Might be easy enough to fix with another team and a bit of luck.

Benson
2014-09-02, 12:06 PM
Yonder in the Foundry Tavern with Mags, Paivi, and Roland

Indeed Mags still got some stares due to his decision to wear his old faced Technic League robes, many of the townsfolk had a natural dislike for the League considering their heavy taxes and their general reputation. Even Val had something to say about that.

"And yer still wearing that awful robe? Ugh..you know how I feel personally about those a-holes..." She had wrinkled her nose and contorted her expression into one of uncomfortableness. She had sighed. "I gotta go mop up a mess.....don't do anything dumb...-er."

Presently Val was cleaning off tables while multitasking with supervising of the other employees.
--

"Hahaha lass...I think ye just got me a new hammer!" A dwarf happily declared standing near Paivi, a mug of ale in his meaty gloved hand. "That was quite some skill there!" He lopsidedly smiled, breath smelling deeply of booze but he didn't look quite inebriated yet. "Name's Grumhill son of Grumhill, you can call me Grumhill. Blacksmith be me trade, workin' with the torch be me trade. Though...started ta have much in free time with the torch going out and all." He looked like he was going to be the motormouth talkative type.
---

"Care for another refill sir? Just another copper," A passing serving wench asked as Roland she held out a large pitcher of what one could presume to be ale.

Besides Roland a table over, two drunk half orcs chatted among each other, digging into happily their big ol turkey legs. One of them happily chewing with his large mouth open. "Ya knows...wonder whut happensh to that guud-lookingsh woman with the p-purple hairsh? Don’t no one elsesh find it strange that she show up a few daysh before da torch went outsh, and dat no one’s scheen her since?"

His fellow half-orc looked over at and laughed. "Oi...ya git shuper paranoids when youse drunksh hahah." The other half-orc grunted and made a face of displeasure.

"I'ms sherioush..itsh weirds."
--
--

Yonder the Town Hall with Inmortia

Alas the only place Inmortia would find a council member to talk to was in the Town Council and only one of the five members was available.

The Town Hall was just as impressive on the inside as it was on the outside. Nice carved stone work mixed in with a strange material that acted as trimming to the stone work.

It was a material known as glaucite, normally found in Numerian Ruins, a difficult material to work with without an intense heat source such as the (now defunct) torch atop Black Hill. This dull gray metal is an alloy of adamantine and iron.

The secretary who sat at her desk near the entrance of the Town Hall glanced up from her trashy romance book according to its gaudy cover. Even though Inmortia had made herself a good name in town, some folks were still startled by her...presence we will say. The secretary put her book down and awkwardly smiled.

"H-how can I help y-you ma'am?" The secretary awkwardly said as she looked up at the giant imposing woman.

Hazuki
2014-09-02, 12:13 PM
Inmortia glanced briefly at the novel that the secretary had been reading before meeting the shaking woman's eyes. "Good morning. I would like to search for Khonnir Baine." The looming warrior informed her, voice serene despite being armored up to the neck. Simple and short, it was enough information for the secretary, so long as she was comfortable with the procedures used for any volunteers.

Benson
2014-09-02, 12:34 PM
Town Hall

"Uh...right..Councilwoman Dolga Freddert, s-she can help you with the details on that...just follow me," The secretary would clear her throat and lead her to a pair of double doors which lead into a short hallway and then into another door, Dolga Freddert's personal offices presumably.

"Madam Councilor, there is someone who wishes to speak with you," The secretary said looking over at the council woman who sat at her desk going over some scrolls and other paperwork. Councilwoman Dolga Freddert was an elderly dwarven woman in teal robes with gold thread trimming, her white hair done in looping braids whose tips were braided into her hair. She sported the face of one who would tale no nonsense from anyone. She glanced up from her paperwork and furrowed her wrinkly brow.

"Inmortia is it?" She said in her gravelly voice. She then glanced over to her secretary.

"She says she wants to search for Councilman Baine, ma'am." The secretary said. Dolga nodded her head and then dismissed her with a hand gesture.

When the secretary was gone, Dolga turned her attention back to the giant woman. "I would say take a seat, but we do not have chairs to accommodate a woman of your size. Anyways, so what was this again about wanting to search for Councilman Baine? What information are you seeking?"

iTookUrNick
2014-09-02, 01:55 PM
Yonder in the Foundry Tavern with Mags, Paivi, and Roland

Indeed Mags still got some stares due to his decision to wear his old faced Technic League robes, many of the townsfolk had a natural dislike for the League considering their heavy taxes and their general reputation. Even Val had something to say about that.

"And yer still wearing that awful robe? Ugh..you know how I feel personally about those a-holes..." She had wrinkled her nose and contorted her expression into one of uncomfortableness. She had sighed. "I gotta go mop up a mess.....don't do anything dumb...-er."
"You know that goes for me too, and it's not the point. The point is to inform potential customers of my expertise, and nothing says technology like the Technic League uniform. Plus, it never gets in the way; I'd say it's enchanted if i did not know any better. It's just the logical choice." The exchange is nothing new, as it is clear the two participants subscribe to different life philosophies. It is also clear they care about each other, despite that. "I won't make any promises" he adds as she leves in a hurry.

Hazuki
2014-09-02, 02:03 PM
Town Hall

Inmortia gives a nod of her head in response to the councilwoman's question, finding herself a somewhat comfortable spot to stand in as she speaks to the Dwarf. "I want to defend this town, and its protector is missing. Others have tried to help, but failed, and I'm certain there are other citizens of Torch who would like to help. I would like information to aid in finding Khonnir Baine, whether its information on the tunnels, directions to other such citizens, or a warning not to."

stack
2014-09-02, 03:22 PM
The conversation near Roland catches his ear. he rises, gesturing the serving girl to follow. He moves towards the half orcs, speaking in a genial tone. "Need a refill? I guess I was out of commission when it happened, so I'd like to hear a bit more about this woman. Just idle curiosity, you know?"diplomacy if needed to gather info, [roll0] + whatever circumstance bonus from buying a round
(What? I had a lot of places to spend skill point, okay? 9/level just doesn't cut it!)

Phasm
2014-09-03, 12:11 AM
A talkative native, who routinely works with the torch of Torch. Perfect. Paivi smiles at the dwarf and offers her hand. "I am Paivi of the Black Horse tribe. It is good to meet you, Grumhill son of Grumhill." She picks up her own ale with her free hand, toasts him, and takes a drink. "Tell me, what do you know of the torch and when it went out? I have never heard of such a thing, and while my band does not have much to do with technology, we have traded here often over the years."

Benson
2014-09-03, 04:43 AM
Foundry Tavern

Paivi

"Oi...ah...the torch went out about eight days ago lass...callin' it an inconvenient be an understatement," The dwarf shook his head and let out a sputtering sigh. "I think a good way ta describe the torch herself would be...beautiful....particularly on those rare occasions when she shot up into ta sky in a lavender display of power...twas a sight ta behold. Normally she would stand but a few meters from ta top of Black Hill, aye, gave off such an intense heat ye had ta be extra careful lest ye burn an arm clear off."

Roland

"Hohoho...I chouldsh usesh me a refillsh...heheh..." The half orc who told his buddy that he was just paranoid said with a loud laugh. He shook his empty mug in the air until the serving wench refilled it. "Thanksh..buddy...hehe...slurp slurp."

The other half orc, while quite drunk was trying to look serious when he looked at and addressed Roland. "Yeeasgh...saaaw...her...fewish timesh ats...Silverdisksh Hall..errahh...shorry...getting headachesh..." He slurred and grabbed his head, closing his eyes. "A friendsh of mine say sawed her once talkins ta Garmen Ulreth....I dontsh like him...shifty fella..." He then vomited on the floor.

Mags

A moment later, he would see a rather exasperated Val grab a mop and bucket to go clean up some vomit. Anyways, what would our future hero like to do (in general)?
===
===

Town Hall

Inmortia

"As much as I would like to warn you to not do it....I am not in a position to turn down help," The dwarven woman said sighing deeply. "I do suggest finding yourself a willing team of fools to explore the tunnels and caves underneath the town. Hmmm. You can get to the tunnels via the underwater passage connecting them to Weeping Pond. Khonnir noticed a large number of human footprints on the pond’s banks—he was there the day the fires went out testing the water to ensure it hadn’t suddenly grown more toxic—and he realized that a sizable group of people had entered the pond but had not emerged."

stack
2014-09-03, 11:07 AM
"My thanks. Enjoy your drinks." Roland waves a hand over the mess, cleaning it gradually. prestidigitation to clean the vomit up, know local to know where to find Ulreth [roll0], taking 10 if possible and asking around if failing

Phasm
2014-09-04, 12:35 AM
Paivi nods, taking another sip of ale. It's gone a bit warm, but she'll drink it anyway. Waste not, want not is the law of the plains. "Indeed, it is. Was, I suppose. When my band is in the area, we use it as a landmark. The violet flame is glorious at night. Have you any scholars of the flame and the workings of technology here in town, ones who are not part of the Technic League? Other than the wizard who owns this place, that is. I have heard that Khonnir Baine went missing recently."

Benson
2014-09-04, 03:49 AM
Foundry Tavern

Val made a sharp turn with the bucket and mop after seeing Roland magic it away, nevermind right? Anyways.

Roland

Garmen Ulreth. Roland would dig into his memory and recall that Ulreth was the owner of the Silverdisk Hall and would most likely be found there.
===

Paivi

The dwarf seem to blanch at the mention of Technic League. "I would sooner throw me a League member out on their arse. Mmm, but Khonnir Baine did hav' him a friend...an ex-member of der League or so he tells the town. I tink his name be Mags something or other....eh. He struck ol me as der scholarly type, worked with Baine...I tink I saw him earlier in the bar...me memory be foggy."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-04, 05:19 AM
Mag is capable of deep focus, but is bad at multitasking. It follows that when he has something on his mind his reactions are a bit sluggish.
"Wait Val, I can help you with... oh" he stops, as a stranger cleans up the mess with a nonchalant gesture. 'Well that was very nice of him - he thinks first - I should thank him for his kindness'. His second thought is 'Brigh's Bosom: magical mops!'. He stands still, transfixed at the sheer magnitude of change he could bring to the world with such a device. Unfortunately for all humanoid races, he does not get to develop the idea any further, as he hears his name spoken behind him.

There, a barbarian woman and a dwarf are having a passionate conversation. And, apparently, he now figures in it. He makes his way to the pair; the woman is still giving him the stink eye, for some reason. "Ahem - he says, clearing his throat - I'm sorry but I could not avoid overhearing your words. I believe that... hum... you might be talking about me..."

Hazuki
2014-09-04, 10:24 AM
"Thank you." Inmortia says to the Dwarven woman, giving her a polite nod of the head in response. Were bowing not likely to make her knock over furniture, she may have done so. "Where might I find willing companions?"

stack
2014-09-04, 11:04 AM
Roland exits to head to Silverdisk Hall, whistling tunelessly as he ambles, taking a moment to rub his sore shoulder.

Benson
2014-09-04, 11:49 AM
Town Council

Dolga gave her own courtesy nod and then furrowed her brows in trying to think of an honest answer. "I suppose you could find 'willing companions' at a bar, you might find folks of the adventurous nature, they seem to gather in such places, much like flies to honey and all that. Might I suggest the Foundry Tavern?

Also...if you do truly end up setting forth for the tunnels, the entrance to the caves is flooded. You’ll need to swim a bit to get to the caves. Joram Kyte has agreed to cast water breathing on any group to aid in entering the caves—free of charge, of course. He was a good friend of Councilman Khonnir Baine, so you can understand his desire to see his friend safety returned."

Silverdisk Hall

Silverdisk Hall is a fairly impressive looking two floored building on the outside. Standing by the gilded oak double doors were two surly looking bouncers/guards. They would however not give Roland difficulty, after all, the gambling hall did seek to win of your hard earn money away, easier done when you allow fools freely the opportunity to 'win'. Inside, twas filled with card tables and dice games along with a single roulette game. There was a bar that encouraged no drink limit, and a stage for various sorts of performances, at the moment some kind of burlesque show was going on with a rather pretty half-orc.

The gambling hall was busy with patrons gambling away their wages and with just general activity. There were more guards inside, watching, surveying, keeping patrons in check.

stack
2014-09-04, 11:56 AM
Roland wanders casually about, spending a moment here and theirto watch the games while trying to spot Garmen Ulreth. If he fails to do so after a bit, he asks one of the guards, politely.

Phasm
2014-09-04, 03:12 PM
Paivi turns to look at the new arrival. An ex-member of the League? Now that she takes a good look at him, his League uniform is faded and worn. She's never seen one of the arrogant wizards who rule Numeria looking anything less than spic and span, unless they're in the middle of a project; and even then their clothes are stained but not old-looking. "A friend of Khonnir Baine, are you? I seek companions to search for him. Be warned, though, I have no love for the Technic League." The Kellid absently reaches up to toy with the bone pendant around her neck. Carved upon it is the image of a rose growing from bloodstained cobblestones.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-05, 04:09 AM
"That is fantastic news!" exclaims Mag, smiling. "My, what a fortuitous coincidence that is... Indeed, I am a close friend of Khonnir. He was my mentor and more, as he raised me himself when I had no one else. So, you see, I would very much like to see him safely back as well. As for the Technic League, most folk feel the same way that you do around here, and rightly so, so it is no surprise to me. Still, one could do worse than show respect for the powers that be, especially when they hoard and hold all the power around Numeria..."

Benson
2014-09-05, 10:51 AM
Silverdisk Hall

"Whaddya wants? Ain't gonna play, ya ain't gonna stay," A grumpy human guard who sported short lengths of rope wrapped over his knuckles growled. "Mister Ulreth ain't here and if he were, he probably ain't wantin ta see guests."
-

Foundry Tavern

The dwarf just sorta felt a little awkward now as the current conversation was beyond his scope. "I'mma just buy us a round of ale of no one minds, ye lot continue on."

Hazuki
2014-09-05, 10:55 AM
"Thank you." Inmortia says to the councilwoman, bowing her head for a moment. "I will take my leave. Goodbye." Barring any objections from the Dwarf, she heads to the Foundry Tavern.

stack
2014-09-05, 11:13 AM
Roland shrugs. "Afraid I came at a bad time then. Good day." Well, that was a dead end. Need a better plan if I am going to get answers out of him...back to the tavern!

He resumes his previous seat, continuing to flavor the cheapest imitation of ale into something passable with his minor enchantments.

Benson
2014-09-05, 01:42 PM
The Foundry w/Inmortia

When Inmortia entered the busy establishment, she turned several heads. Once again, even though she had established a presence here in town, some folks still could not help but stare and be a little weirded out. She was just so big. There were some hushed murmurs as folks then returned to their conversations.

"Oh hey there Miss," A serving wench said to her, passing by. "Welcome to the Foundry, just find yourself a seat and I'll get there as soon as I can to take your drink order."

The Foundry w/Roland

"Oh hey you're back," Roland would be approached by Val who sported a weary smile. "I didn't get the chance to thank you at the time, but thanks for cleaning up that mess, vomit is just one of those things I am not too particularly fond of having to clean up." She weakly chuckled.

Hazuki
2014-09-05, 03:36 PM
"Good morning." Inmortia responded with a slight nod of her head. "But I'm not here for service. Which was likely a saving grace for the both of them, as the giant woman required a seat far larger than most, and ate a fair amount more. "I'm looking for adventurers to help find Khonnir Baine. Any help will be appreciated." She said, then reached into one of the pouches at her waist and pulled free a shiny gold coin, which she then offered to the serving wench in the palm of one armored hand. It was not much in the grand scheme of things, but it was worth twenty five mugs of ale, which likely meant at least a night of tips for the woman.

stack
2014-09-05, 04:09 PM
Roland gives a half smile, "Really? Most find it quite pleasurable I hear."

He turns to listen to the speaker. "Be interested in finding him myself, as would any number of other around these parts."

Phasm
2014-09-07, 02:29 AM
Paivi leans back in her chair, draping a bare, muscular arm over the back. It's far too hot for her armor today, considering that she's in a town and not expecting combat. Instead she wears a sleeveless rust-colored wool tunic belted over loose brown trousers with dark brown boots of the style favored by horse nomads. "Have you any skill in combat, to go with your knowledge? You need not be a warrior of legend, but it would be good if you knew which end of the knife to hold. If I am to search for Khonnir Baine, one of my companions must be a scholar who is willing and able to brave the dangers that have prevented him from returning to Torch. I know little of technology."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-07, 04:38 AM
Mag's spirit drops a little at this last remark. "I' afraid I'm not much in the way of direct combat, and if it comes down to my knife-fighting skills then we are surely done for. But I do know some magic, even if I hardly ever used it offensively. I guess I could help that way... Better yet, if we could find others to help in those areas where I am lacking, I'm sure we could make it. Just let me warn my 'sister' first though."

Mag moves towards Val, signaling Paivi to follow with one hand. Val is speaking with the kind stranger from before. "Hello, friend. Thank you for your help before. It not often that patrons bother to clean after their own mess, let alone someone else's". To Val then: "Listen Val, I'll be going down in the caves. I've thought long and hard about it, but it is clear fate smiled upon us: this lady here" says, pointing back to Paivi "is looking for Khorrin as well, and she's in need of a scholar to accompany her. Now we only need one or two others and we'll be good to go. If you chance upon any, send them our way: we'll be asking at the town hall".

stack
2014-09-07, 07:51 AM
"Might be called a bit of a scholar. Grew up around the Grand Lodge, made these parts a bit of a focus. Don't want to boast, but I would say I know more than most. Been on a few expeditions as well, I carry my weight, if you don't mind me saying. Ask around, I'm known to those in the field, though many that could vouch for me are among the missing.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-07, 08:48 AM
"So, you are saying you would be willing to help us find Councillor Khorrin Baine, and that you have prior experience in exploring ruins, right? Wow, this incredibly fortuitous. Are you hearing this, Val? And... hum, I do not think I caught either of your names. Me, I'm Magnus. Mags for short."
Mags extend his hand to his newest acquaintance.

Benson
2014-09-07, 03:09 PM
Foundry Tavern w/ Inmortia

"Ahm..." The serving girl awkwardly accepted the gold coin, this was not a usual part of the job so pardon her awkwardness. "Uhm..well ma'am...." She squinted her eyes and glanced around the tavern, her eyes passed over her Val and then returned right back at Val considering that was a familiar face. She glanced around the company Val was keeping and bit her lip. "Uh...I suggest them...over there..." She mostly pointed at Val. "The blonde woman with the blue eyes." The serving girl had hoped that she could effectively dump this request on Val if Inmortia went over there.

Foundry Tavern w/ Everyone else

"...Yes...I am hearing this...." Val replied rather unenthusiastically to Mags. She softly sighed and rubbed her temples. It was difficult for her, as much as she truly wanted her father returned, she did not want to risk losing dear Mags in the process. But she knew he could be just as stubborn as she.

Hazuki
2014-09-07, 03:18 PM
Inmortia's lips quirked ever so slightly into a smirk as the waitress pointed over to Val, but was swiftly replaced with her regular serene expression as she nodded. "Thank you." She said, and gifted the woman with a bow of her head before she made her way through the Foundry Tavern, making certain to carry herself with some degree of grace through the layout fitted for regularly-sized people. When she arrived at Val's table, she gave the woman an incline of her head, quite certain her footsteps would have been heard regardless of a direct greeting.

"Good morning. Councilwoman Dolga Freddert told me to come here, to find allies in the search for Councilman Khonnir Baine. Do you know of any particularly suited to the task?"

stack
2014-09-08, 11:14 AM
"So, you are saying you would be willing to help us find Councillor Khorrin Baine, and that you have prior experience in exploring ruins, right? Wow, this incredibly fortuitous. Are you hearing this, Val? And... hum, I do not think I caught either of your names. Me, I'm Magnus. Mags for short."
Mags extend his hand to his newest acquaintance.

Roland takes the proffered hand. "Precisely. Call me Roland. When do we start?"

Phasm
2014-09-08, 01:22 PM
Paivi offers her hand to each man in turn, and then to the giantess. She still has reservations about Mags, but since an outside source verified that he is indeed a friend of Khonnir Baine, she can probably trust him to do his best searching for the lost wizard. "I am Paivi of the Black Horse tribe, a hunter in the service of Milani. It is my mission to find Khonnir Baine as well, for that is the best way I can think of to find out why the flame of Torch has gone out." The Kellid nods toward the compound longbow and spear leaning against the wall nearby. "I am most skilled with the bow, although I also use the spear, club, and knife. Milani has granted me a small measure of her power as well."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-08, 01:43 PM
"Right now, apparently." Mag answers Roland as the four greet each other.
To Inmortia: "Well met, lady Inmortia. With your arrival I am now much more confident about our future endeavor, not only because I know of your valor and prowess, but also because it is now quite evident that we are all fated to do this.

As for my abilities, I do not strike hard nor fast, but I can think of ways to let others do that with ease instead. "

Benson
2014-09-09, 02:40 AM
Foundry Tavern w/Everyone!

Val was taken a little by surprise when Inmortia approached her, though that disappeared after she gave the tall woman a small bow and kind smile.

"Ah...well that is an interesting order, usually we do not provide that on the menu.....but," She wanly smiled at the group as then the group introduced themselves to Inmortia. "Seems that order has been fulfilled heheh."

She then turned to Mags and frowned. "You're really going to go through with it aren't you?"

iTookUrNick
2014-09-09, 07:45 AM
"Look around, Val. As soon as I made that decision, the universe provided me with the means to achieve my goal. Our goal. - says Mag. He adds more softly - I can promise you that I will not put myself at risk any more than strictly necessary: I know my limits, I have no desire to test them, and I will play to my strengths instead. I will find Khorrin and i will bring him back. Ok?"

stack
2014-09-09, 11:11 AM
Roland politely leaves the two apparent friends to their discussion, but adds to the others, "Is it so odd that there would be those willing to go? The torch going out is the only thing anyone talks about."

Benson
2014-09-09, 11:23 AM
Val nibbled on her lip and glanced away and once again softly sighed. "Fine...just promise to come back...and with dad...I swear...I will punch your corpse if you don't come back alive at the end of this."

"Meet me in about ten minutes at the house behind the tavern....I have something to give you, hopefully it will help," She wanly smiled his way.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-09, 11:53 AM
"My, my: I'll have to be extra careful now! - answers Mags, hugging his little 'sister' - All right then, I'll meet you there in a bit."

As he rejoins the new formed rescue party, Mags catches Roland's question: "Well, it's not just that. Quite a few have tried and failed to return recently, which is one of the reasons people are not jumping at the chance anymore."

Phasm
2014-09-10, 12:47 AM
"Then perhaps we shall be the first to succeed!" One should never say that one will succeed at something; that's just tempting the spirits of ill fortune. Paivi knocks back the last of her ale with a grin. "When do you wish to begin? Are you all well-supplied? If we plan to be gone for more than a day, I need to buy rations. When food can be found in the star-ruins, which is not often, it is almost never wholesome. As for myself, once I fetch my pack and armor from the boarding house and buy rations, I will be ready to go."

stack
2014-09-10, 11:12 AM
"I believe I have adequate provisions to start out. Just need to go grab my kit. Shall we start in the morning? Otherwise we could meet backin an hour or so if we wanted to move yet today."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-10, 12:49 PM
"Let's start sooner rather than later: every minute we wait the chances of finding anyone alive decrease exponentially. Talk to one of the wenches for provisions: I'm sure they have something long lasting stored for occasions such as this. As for me, I'm mostly done already, I only need to grab a couple of things: I'll be ready to leave in about 10 minutes. Shall we meet at the entrance to the caves when we are ready?"

stack
2014-09-11, 11:19 AM
"No objection here." Roland shrugs.

Phasm
2014-09-12, 02:06 AM
"Very well." Paivi starts to get up, then pauses. "Ah, will you direct me to the cave entrance before we part? I am a stranger to this town."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-12, 03:03 AM
"I have someplace else to go first. Maybe Inmortia can accompany you..."

stack
2014-09-12, 11:05 AM
"You could tag along with me, my stop won't take long."

Hazuki
2014-09-12, 11:08 AM
"We'll need to meet before the cave. It's underwater, but Joram Kyte has offered to cast a water-breathing charm on any expedition." Inmortia interrupts before the party stands to leave.

stack
2014-09-12, 11:41 AM
"Oh,right. Meet at Joram's then?" If it is agreed, Roland exits to gather his things.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-12, 12:33 PM
"Good point Inmortia. Meet you there then". With that, Mags leaves to fetch his things.

Hazuki
2014-09-12, 01:13 PM
Inmortia gives a nod of her head, then turns to Paivi. "I can escort you to the market and the Temple of Braigh." Barring any objections from the Kellid woman, she starts to do just that.

Phasm
2014-09-13, 01:13 AM
"Thank you, Inmortia." Paivi picks up her weapons, slings her beloved compound bow over her back, and follows the giantess to the market.

Benson
2014-09-13, 04:33 PM
While they had spoke, Val had long since left.
=====
=====
=====
Anyways.

As everyone began to leave the Foundry, a young man ran past Roland with a look of fear on his face as some of the patrons turned to look at him in confusion as he began to frantically sputter.

"S-s-someone....h-help...outside...behind the t-tavern I heard someone scream in terror...I went to look...c-coming from the Baine house in back...window...I s-s-saw Val a-and...I..d-don't w-what it was b-but it l-looked like some s-trange...m-mechanical...thing....attacked!" The man looked at the patrons with shamed eyes. "..I...I ran.."

Hazuki
2014-09-13, 04:38 PM
By the time the man has sputtered his last word, Inmortia has started sprinting around the tavern to get to Val as quickly as possible.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-13, 04:55 PM
Mags follows suit. "Val!" he shouts once out of the tavern.

Phasm
2014-09-13, 07:30 PM
Silently cursing her decision to beat the heat by not wearing armor today, Paivi sprints after Mags and Inmortia, drawing her bow as she runs.

stack
2014-09-14, 02:18 PM
Roland runs after the others, drawing his blade, speachless with surprise.sorry for the short post, didn't want to hold things up waiting to get time for a longer one

Benson
2014-09-14, 09:54 PM
The four would find themselves at the small stone house behind the tavern from where a scream sounded accompanied by the sound of crashing noises.

http://i.imgur.com/ktwwdJS.jpg

The white markings represent doors which happen to be unlocked, the blue-ish markings representing windows.

Looking into the lower rightmost window, one would see a large mechanical contraption rampaging about and Val trapped in a corner, cowering and trying to look small. For Mags he would recognize this room as the small storage room. "Help!" Val would yell out.

<Please do mark where your characters are going to start off (using the coordinates) at along with Initiative and any relevant actions>

Hazuki
2014-09-14, 10:06 PM
Inmortia, E15

Inmortia wastes no time in getting into the action, her mask undonned for the moment, and her expression serene as she draws her greatsword with a soft ring in the air. With a serene gaze locked on the creature, she charged forward with a fearless slash of her blade at the mechanical creature.

Initiative: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

iTookUrNick
2014-09-15, 02:43 AM
Magnus, I13

Mags runs up to the window, where he sees the mechanical monster rampaging in the small room. He knows better than to get in and confront the thing himself, but he has other options. The question is, what would be most effective?

[roll0], [roll1] (technologist)

So, moment of truth: if I cast Sleep, will it work?

stack
2014-09-15, 06:21 AM
Roland
initiative [roll0]
know engineering [roll1]

Start in I-14, double move to H12

I have found it convenient when I dm'd to keep a table of dice code for everyone's initiative, then just roll it en masse when necessary so everyone knew if they where in the before or after monsters group.
Roland barely even peeks in the window before rushing toward the nearest door. Time was of the essence.

Phasm
2014-09-15, 11:55 PM
Paivi, G12

Paivi charges in the door, arrow nocked and ready. Quarters might be a little tight for the bow, but she's always been more comfortable with the bow than with the spear or club. Once the hunter has a clear line of sight she lets fly, unworried about Inmortia's presence in the fray. She hasn't hit a fellow warrior for at least a year.

And she just barely makes it to the second room this turn! Looks like it was a mixed blessing that she left her armor behind. I'm not sure which corner the robot is in, but it should be within range of Point-Blank Shot either way.

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Benson
2014-09-16, 03:38 AM
<I had to move some of you guys a little bit elsewhere because otherwise your actions and movements would not have matched up>

http://i.imgur.com/D5Gn0G3.jpg

MC is the Robot
V is Val

Initiative

Inmortia
Roland
Paivi
Robot
Mags
===

The mechanical creature is 5 feet tall and made of a gray and white metal-like polymer. Its three spiderlike legs allow it to navigate over broken terrain and rubble with ease. Its torso and arms and head are vaguely humanoid, with one blazing “eye” in the center of its head and a four-fingered hand on each arm. Bits and pieces of its chassis are missing, exposing the delicate circuitry within, and it makes loud and tortured grinding noises as it moves.

"Repair! Repair! Repaaaaair!" The drone repeated over and over and over in a very tinny and mechanical sounding voice. It let out a loud pop and hiss as a spark of electricity as Inmortia came down with her blade slicing off one of its arms.

"Do not interfere with repaaaairs. Must repair." It intoned. From Roland's understanding, it is a repair drone, well, it has also been yelling the word out too. Before Inmortia struck it with her blade, it looked already to have been broken, in general it appeared to have been malfunctioning, components missing. Magnus will also get the above information along with the information that there is a high chance with his particular bloodline the repair drone would be receptive to a sleep spell.

An arc of electricity arched and fizzled as Paivi shot her arrow and successfully pierced its main body. Crackle crackle. The repair robot then tried to slam into Inmortia, however, the damage done to it caused it to wobble as it missed her form entirely, bouncing back on its spindly legs.
===

Robots initiative

[roll0]
==
[roll1]

[roll2]

Hazuki
2014-09-16, 06:48 AM
Inmortia hefts her shoulders as her blade slices through the mechanical creature, bringing it back with a swing in the other direction.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-16, 07:32 AM
"Val, are you ok? Are there others inside?" asks Mags, concerned. It seems like his companions have things well in hand, so he stands ready to put the thing to sleep should it manage to take down one of them or make for Val.

Phasm
2014-09-16, 10:08 PM
As soon as the first arrow is released, Paivi has another one on the string. She scowls for a moment; the tight quarters mean that Roland is right in her line of fire. No help for it, though; she can't get in front of him without blocking his line of fire unless she enters the robot's reach, and Paivi has more faith in her own ability to shoot past another person than in his. The hunter carefully lines up her shot and fires again.

Staying put. I believe the robot has cover from Roland being in front of Paivi.

stack
2014-09-17, 11:17 AM
"Right, let's get this thing disabled, then we can figure out why its here." Roland steps forward, then lunges with his rapier. swift to activate luck, att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Benson
2014-09-17, 12:09 PM
Ooof, that poor little bot did not last long its debut. When Inmortia's blade came down it came down hard, the large woman would find her blade having had cleaved off a large chunk of the robot which fizzled and popped, gears whirring as its 'eye' blinked rapidly. Good bye sweet world...

"Error...erroooorrr...." The repair bot stopped moving as its gears slowly whirred to a halt.

(Sorry, I would have gotten to this sooner, I was preoccupied. It dies on Inmortia's turn, so I won't count that use of Archaeologist's Luck against Roland's daily allotment.)

Val sniffed as she looked over at the unmoving robot. "No...there's no one else...just me...I...*sniffle* I am fine now....Thanks." She wiped her eyes and a breath to calm herself. "I didn't even know that thing was functioning...when dad brought it over to study it after his first expedition...it wasn't working...I thought it was just broken."

She looked at the other three and wearily smiled. "Thank you guys."

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 12:14 PM
Inmortia stares down at the defeated robot for a few moments, taking in a few deep breaths to regain her composure before she sheathes the hefty blade at her hip. "I can heal any injuries you have." She plainly tells the sniffling Val, her large hand glowing with golden nebulae as she makes the offer.

Benson
2014-09-17, 12:32 PM
"I'm fine...it is only a small cut from when I fell down," She faintly smiled and gestured with her hand at the nick on her palm. "T...thank you though."

"Thanks again for saving me you guys."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-17, 12:56 PM
Mags gets into the room, past Roland and Paivi, to check on Val. "Thank the gods you are unhurt, but what a scare..."
He turns towards the now broken construct. "That... what did you do to turn it on? Did you press anything on it? I know you know better than that, but... Wait, is that the one Baine brought up a few days ago? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give a quick look at its remains. Roland, you said you have training in this kind of things: would you help me perform a quick review on the robot?"

Hazuki
2014-09-17, 01:09 PM
Inmortia gives a nod of her head to the uninjured Val, lowering her hand and letting the magic dissipate. She stands off to the side as Mag moves to examine the construct, idly listening to their conversation before she steps forward again. "A blessing." She tells each of the men, giving each of them a short, firm grasp on the shoulders that gives them just a little bit of divine guidance.

Guidance (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/guidance.html) for everyone!

Benson
2014-09-17, 01:12 PM
"I didn't even touch it...it turned on by itself...I came here to get what I was going to give you and it, suddenly when my back was turned...turned itself on, that is the only thing I could think what happened." Val frowned.

stack
2014-09-17, 02:25 PM
Roland sheathes his blade and rolls up his sleeves. "I'll help as much as I can. I don't often get to see them this functional or intact." aid another engineering? [roll0] He looks about for any tools that may be of use.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-17, 04:51 PM
"That must be a coincidence then. Strange, but not impossible." says Mag, as he starts his inspection of the robot. "By the way, what was that thing you were going to give me?"
Uhm, forgot to rool. See OOC thread.

Phasm
2014-09-17, 10:07 PM
Paivi lowers her bow and slips her arrow back into the quiver. "I fear that I will not be of much help, now that the threat is gone. I know little of technology." She shrugs helplessly and walks over to examine the 'kill'. There's no time like the present to start learning.

Benson
2014-09-18, 02:18 AM
Poking around in the repair drone's remains would uncover a few drained (and now destroyed) power cells, from previous understanding these sort of power cells can absorb energy to effectively recharge themselves. However, whatever that particular energy is, is unknown.

"Just some potions...curative ones....I would rather...you know...see you alive and well again," Val said with a sheepish smile. "I will say...I do feel better having had seen them in action, that you have these guys watching your back." She looked at the other three and gave them a small grateful smile each.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-18, 02:28 AM
"Yeah, it appears I'm in good hands... A potion would be welcome: I have a scroll with me, but it might not be enough."
After the examination: "Nothing much then. Rats, I hoped we would find some sort of clue."

stack
2014-09-18, 11:14 AM
ROland shakes his head in disappointment. "Even though we are otherwise engaged, it would have been nice to salvage more of it. Ah well, I suppose we can be more thorough when we get back, if you don't mind?" He asks of the recently accosted.

Benson
2014-09-18, 11:24 AM
Val shook her head and placed her hands in front of her. "I-I personally don't mind.....but uh...it is not going to somehow come back to life while you lot are gone right?" From her perspective, it was recently broken and then...came to life, so the worry is legit. Anyways, it would be 'no' to the coming back to 'life', that bot was gone unless the repair bot could somehow be...repaired, snerk, irony. Anyways.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-18, 12:40 PM
"well, we do not think so. But you can but him in a box, if it makes you feel safer" :smallsmile:

Phasm
2014-09-18, 11:33 PM
Paivi pokes the bot with an arrow, intrigued, before standing back up and putting the arrow away. "If the robot's corpse truly disquiets you, perhaps Inmortia could hack it into smaller pieces with her mighty blade, or Mags and Roland could take it further apart with their tools. Such a thing would take time, though."

Benson
2014-09-19, 02:01 AM
"Well...its a machine..so whatever makes....well made...it move if that were gone, I'd probably be more comfortable.." Val replied, looking a little sheepish about the extra fuss. She then moved over to a cabinet with a now broken hinge and dug around in it. She then pulled out two small glass bottles with red pluses on them and handed them over to Mags.

<Two potions of cure light wounds>

iTookUrNick
2014-09-19, 03:55 AM
"Well...its a machine..so whatever makes....well made...it move if that were gone, I'd probably be more comfortable.." Val replied, looking a little sheepish about the extra fuss. She then moved over to a cabinet with a now broken hinge and dug around in it. She then pulled out two small glass bottles with red pluses on them and handed them over to Mags.

<Two potions of cure light wounds>
"The power source seems to have been damaged in the fight. We'll leave it disconnected, just as an extra precaution."

As Val gives him the potions: "Thanks Val, that's really thoughtful. Hopefully we won't need them but... it's always better to be prepared. We should get gong now"

stack
2014-09-19, 07:47 PM
"Without power it will not be doing anything. Here, we can drag it out of the way so you don't have to look at it. Thank you for your help as well. Probably should head out soon though." Roland works to get the machine out of the middle of the floor.

Phasm
2014-09-20, 01:02 AM
Paivi swings her bow onto her back and helps Roland move the 'dead' robot out of the way. Brute strength, she can do (within limits). That done, she gives Val a smile. "Thank you for the potions, Val. Now I must go retrieve my armor and purchase rations before we embark on our mission. Hopefully there will be no more stray robots outside the caves of the Flame."

Benson
2014-09-20, 02:00 PM
Val straightened herself out and nodded her head. "Thank you guys again. Please, all of you, do come back in one piece."

<Alright, you all can just summarize what you do before meeting up at Joram's>

Joram would be found in the Temple of Brigh in his workshop, tinkering with something of his own creation. He was a short, balding and squat looking man of Taldan descent with a friendly aura about him as he hummed away. He wore gold and white robes and sported a pendant of Brigh's holy symbol.

Upon noticing the group he would approach them with a friendly but weary smile, his arms a little outstretched. "Ah, greetings, have you come here to share in worship for The Whisper in Bronze?"

iTookUrNick
2014-09-20, 06:21 PM
Mags and Joram know each other well, as they share their faith and the curiosity and passion for creation that usually goes with it.

"Not this time, my friend - he greets him - though we surely need her protection and inspiration if we are ti be successful in our endeavour, as we mean to enter the Caves looking for Khorrin."

Phasm
2014-09-21, 01:49 AM
Armed, armored, rationed, and very low on coin, Paivi strides in a few minutes after the two scholars. In her mammoth-hide armor, she looks even more like a barbarian than before. "Greetings, servant of Brigh! I myself serve Milani, but we would certainly not look askance at the Whisper in Bronze's blessing on our efforts to rescue Khonnir Baine and figure out what happened to the great violet flame."

stack
2014-09-21, 07:52 AM
Roland is known to Joram, though he has not spent so much time there as to be close. He enters with a nod of respect, the others having already filled their host in on the purpose of the gathering. "of course, any blessing or advice you can give would be most appreciated."

Benson
2014-09-22, 11:08 AM
"Right the caves and Khonnir," His expression saddened as he placed his palm against his cheek and woefully sighed. He made sure to though give both Paivi and Inmortia a polite bow and nodded his head, acknowledging everyone's words.

"Of course, and I will be more than glad to help you, anything to bring my friend back." He went over to behind his workbench and picked up his rod that was leaning against the bench and returned to the others.

"I would like to cast a water breathing spell upon ye, from what I hear, the tunnels underneath are severely flooded and I would rather not have potential rescuers drown. Now it only lasts 24 hours, while haste is always a recommended thing, I would rather not have you lot stuck down there, so do not hesitate to make daily excursions down there, no one will think less of you."

He would then proceed to bless each of them with Water Breathing, whisperings blessings of Brigh.

stack
2014-09-22, 12:14 PM
"Thank you. We will be sure to let you know how we progress. Now, I believe we ought get started, they may not have time for us to tarry."

iTookUrNick
2014-09-23, 02:41 AM
"Indeed, let's be off!" said Mags, agitation beginning to size from his stomach. This is it!

Phasm
2014-09-25, 12:51 AM
"Many thanks, Father Joram." Paivi nods to him and begins a short prayer of her own to Milani. Surely Brigh won't mind, what little Paivi knows of the Whisper in Bronze indicates that Brigh isn't a temperamental sort of deity.

Milani Everbloom, chief of hope and righteous rebellion, please hear my prayer. Grant us your strength to reach Khonnir Baine while he yet lives, and grant Baine himself your hope to endure until we get to him. As always, I serve your will here on Golarion, and am grateful for the blessings you see fit to grant.

Prayer complete, the hunter turns toward the door. "To rescue and battle!"

Hazuki
2014-09-25, 03:56 PM
Inmortia doesn't comment on the surprising exuberance of the group and heads to their destination.

Benson
2014-09-26, 02:13 AM
Place: Torch- Weeping Pond

Day: 21 Fireday (Friday) of Arodus (August)

Time: 1:00 pm

After Joram gave them his personal thanks again for undertaking this task, the four in the making heroes set forth for large Weeping Pond. The bitter stink of sulfur and other chemicals waft through the air as the placid water looks less than inviting. Around you the rocky walls of the crescent-shaped escarpment loom over the vegetation-less surrounding. The water is fairly murky in some areas while others clear. Signs along the bank show old activity towards the eastern half, most likely that of previous expeditions. Time to get wet.

The entrance to the Black Hill Caves is via a 45-foot-long submerged waterway that connects the Weeping Pond of Torch to the caverns.

<DC 10 Swim check to successfully navigate these placid waters, or one can just take a 10 and take a little bit longer to get through. Due to the water breathing, no one is in danger of drowning>

stack
2014-09-26, 11:27 AM
"Lovely day for a swim." Roland dives in after stowing his buckler, taking his time to progress carefully, enjoying the freedom of the water breathing spell.taking 10 for 10

iTookUrNick
2014-09-26, 01:51 PM
"I suppose it can't be helped" says Mags, far less enthusiastic about the whole thing. "We might not drown, but we will be wet and smelly for a while..."
Also taking 10, then. It would be useless to rush onward on my own...

Hazuki
2014-09-26, 01:53 PM
Inmortia strips off her heavy armor, storing it in her pack, before diving into the water.

For 13.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-26, 02:02 PM
It takes Mags only a few seconds in the water to realize that he really isn't meant to go cave-diving. "Ehm, excuse me" says to Inmortia as the big lady is about to submerge "I... well... would you terribly mind giving me a hand with this? I do not want to risk being swept away by the current..."

Hazuki
2014-09-26, 02:05 PM
Inmortia places her hand on Mags' shoulder and gives him a blessing to help guide him through the water.

Should give you the +1 you need to beat DC 10 on taking 10.

Phasm
2014-09-26, 11:23 PM
Paivi wrinkles her nose at the acrid stench of the 'water'. There's no way around it, though. The hunter reluctantly takes her armor off, stuffs it into her pack, and dives in after Inmortia. Swimming with a heavy pack on one's back isn't fun, but the water breathing spell makes life easier... as long as she doesn't think about what exactly is in the water that she's breathing.

Taking 10 for a total of 11.

iTookUrNick
2014-09-27, 04:53 AM
Mags thanks Inmortia for her help, then follows the others in the 'water'.

Benson
2014-09-28, 01:57 AM
The submerged passageway eventually opens up into a pocket of air, thankfully, at this point the water is only two feet deep here, the ceiling height only being around seven feet. Dampness hangs in the air of this cave, condensing into heavy moisture on the slick, stone walls. The air in the caves is bitter and stinks of mold and vinegar, but it is breathable despite its unpleasant flavor—narrow vents and fissures provide enough air circulation to keep the atmosphere breathable, if disagreeable. The calm, dark waters wind around to the east up north, along a stony, soot-scarred beach. A five-foot-high ledge sporting several stalagmites rises to the east, beyond which a low-ceilinged cave beckons. The area around here is quite dark with the only illumination at the moment coming from three small beetle-like creatures on the small sooty beach, their light glowing green. They chitter upon noticing the activity of our heroes wading on by, the beetles move towards the adventurers with increased chittering.

DC 20 Survival Check
Reveals the tracks of several people on the small sooty mini beach who climbed up onto the ledge.

Map Visual

http://i.imgur.com/dqsTWkz.jpg

Phasm
2014-09-29, 12:07 AM
Once they're out of the water, Paivi pauses long enough to chant a short phrase in an archaic dialect of Kellid, one hand touching the bone pendant around her neck. A shield-shaped totem woven into the thin braid on the left side of her face glows with white light; it's only about as much as a torch would give off, but in the darkness of the cave it seems considerably brighter. She takes the opportunity to string her bow with a bowstring kept dry in a waxed pouch, then catches up to the rest of the group.

"Glowing beetles... how odd." Paivi frowns, trying to remember if she's heard of anything like them as she examines the beach for tracks.

Survival: [roll0]

Knowledge: nature: [roll1]

stack
2014-09-29, 11:11 AM
nature [roll0]

dancing lights
prestidigitation as needed to get dry and clean Roland conjures a lantern of his own, floating above his head, as he straps his buckler back in place and draws his rapier, eying the approaching beetles with interest. "Anyone want to dry off?" If they pose no threat, he will magically dry himself and any others that accept his offer.

Benson
2014-09-29, 11:38 AM
Roland will recognize these beetles as fire beetles, carnivorous hostile critters whose survival instincts are null, when they are hungry they swarm to the nearest meaty food source regardless of the danger. Despite their name, they do not breath or use fire as a weapon.

<Their AC is 11 if you want to quickly dispatch of these meat hungry pests without entering actual combat>

stack
2014-09-29, 12:37 PM
"Watch the beetles, they can be dangerous. Let's squash them from a distance." He switches to his bow, loosing an arrow. att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Hazuki
2014-09-30, 07:21 PM
Inmortia starts to don her armor while the rest take care of the beetles.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-01, 04:33 PM
"Got it." says Mags. He keeps his distance, ready to zap them should they get closer.
[roll0] in case it is needed.

Phasm
2014-10-02, 01:17 AM
Paivi nocks an arrow to her bow and follows Roland's lead, shooting at the nearest beetle while Inmortia armors up.

Attack: [roll0] (assuming they're within 30 ft)

Benson
2014-10-02, 01:30 PM
The fire beetle that Roland struck chittered even more aggressively, as it came upon him and bit down on his leg with its pinky finger sized mandibles. The other two fumbled in their bites upon Paivi who swatted them away with her bow.

<Roland gets bit for 4 HP>

<Unless noted, each square is 5 ft>

stack
2014-10-02, 01:44 PM
"Okay, that hurt. Everyone, let's focus a bit of attention on these things." Roland grimaces, dropping his bow and drawing his rapier, giving a stab downward at the beetle before backing away to clear room for the others. free - drop bow,
move - draw rapier
swift - activate luck
standard - att [roll0]
damage [roll1]
5-step back from the bug

iTookUrNick
2014-10-03, 08:23 AM
As the beetles approach, Roland points his index finger towards the closest one, thumb straight upwards. He utters a brief enchantment that sounds suspiciously like Bang!, and a small electrical spark from the tip of his finger. He takes his other hand out from his pocket and repeats the process.
I did not roll the attack for my last turn (because I did not realize combat had started). I hope it's ok if I take the shot now.
[roll0] (Touch), [roll1] (electricity)
[roll2] (Touch), [roll3] (electricity)

Benson
2014-10-04, 06:33 PM
The two beetles dropped dead letting out a low croaky chitter as they were slashed at and acid melted, respectfully. The last one continued on trying to get a bite on Paivi.

Phasm
2014-10-04, 10:45 PM
Paivi scowls, dropping her bow and drawing her spear from its fastenings on her back. "Die, pest!" She stabs down at the fire beetle, hoping to kill it before it can bite her.

Benson
2014-10-04, 11:12 PM
This pesky beetle the size of a growing kitten lunged towards Paivi but before it could get a bite in, she made made a kebob out of it with her spear. It dead. Fun fact, though the three beetles had died, their corpses still continued to glow their funky green glow.

Anyways, what do the heroes do now?

iTookUrNick
2014-10-05, 03:36 AM
"That wasn't too bad..." says Mags. He murmurs another quick incantation, then move his hand as to puck something out of thin air. A short distance away, one of the beetles is lifted from the ground, hovering in mid air like a marionette. He turns around and waits for Inmortia to finish putting on her armor.

stack
2014-10-05, 01:11 PM
"Not to bad? That rather hurt. Anyhow, onward and...over there I suppose. Interesting specimens though."CLW [roll0]

Hazuki
2014-10-05, 01:12 PM
Inmortia finishes putting on her heavy armor, and finishes it off by putting on her mask.

Phasm
2014-10-05, 09:56 PM
"Give me some time to get my armor on, please." Paivi sets her pack down and suits actions to words. Hide armor on wet skin is unpleasant, but better than being wounded by who knows what. Once she's done, the hunter slings her spear onto her back and picks up her bow again. "That's better. Onward!"

Benson
2014-10-05, 10:45 PM
A successful DC 10 Climb check is needed to clamber up the 5-foot-high ledge, should that route be chosen, or you can choose to continue to wad along in the water and move around.

stack
2014-10-06, 11:17 AM
"Just got dried off, so let's try up the ledge there. Someone give me a hand." between taking 10 and aiding another we should all be able to get up without a problem.

Hazuki
2014-10-06, 11:25 AM
Inmortia once more blesses the Bard, to help him in attempting to climb the wall.

'Cause I have -4 to Climb, it is quite unlikely for me to succeed on the Aid Another check. A guaranteed +1 is better than a risky +2.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-06, 12:46 PM
"Right, up we go then..." says Mag, far from thrilled. He waits his turn to be blessed by Inmortia and heaves himself up the ledge, then turns around and offers help to those below. "At least I'm traveling light" he comments.
With the +1, I can climb ad aid another without fail.

Benson
2014-10-06, 02:06 PM
(Just gonna assume everyone is gonna take 10)

A collection of stalactites and stalagmites choke this lowceilinged cavern, making it difficult to squeeze between them. Matching stalactites close in from the five-foot-high ceiling, giving the impression of a maw of needlelike teeth bearing down on one another. A dead half-orc sprawls on the ground near the cave’s eastern entrance.

You somewhat recall hearing about a half orc named Parda, who was a popular brawler in town, and that she was one of those who traveled with several thugs into the caverns (the second expedition). Almost everyone called her a friend, and many felt that her falling in with the thugs was going to be her end—turns out, they were right.

examining the body confirms she was slain by multiple stab wounds from a short-bladed weapon like a dagger.

(roll in the OOC of course, if you pass, go ahead and include it in your posts, don't wait for me to confirm)
(I will get the map updated and posted when I get home from work)

iTookUrNick
2014-10-06, 02:52 PM
[roll0].
Not examining, but if someone else does I might give an informed opinion.
"Well, that does not look promising. Wait... is that that brawler... you know... the one who went down here with the second expedition? I wonder what happened to her..."

Phasm
2014-10-07, 12:27 AM
Although her armor hinders activities like climbing, Paivi makes it up to the ledge with a little help from her friends... and guidance from Milani. She frowns upon seeing the corpse, walking over to examine the wounds with an experienced eye. The poor light hinders her efforts, though. "I fear that my skill is not sufficient to tell anything about this unfortunate woman's end, other than the obvious; she fell in battle with someone wielding a pointed weapon."

stack
2014-10-07, 11:07 AM
know local [roll0], can make untrained

stack
2014-10-07, 11:09 AM
"Weapons, not animals then. More down here than just bugs, but we pretty well expected that anyhow." Roland weaves his way through the tight space, taking care to not disturb the body.

Benson
2014-10-07, 01:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pyCWSiW.jpg

<Just sorta eyedballed it where the characters would be at>

A dark cavern opens up here, its twenty-foot-high ceiling thick with stalactites. A rocky shore overlooks a placid pool and stream, fed by a trickle of water leaking from a narrow fissure to the north. A small garden of toadstools and dark mold grows along the banks. In the placid pool a grotesque creature waded about with its back turned. The frog-like creature short, stocky humanoid with webbed feet and glowing milky eyes went about its business scraping pond scum up from the nasty water and consumed. Around its little lair were a couple of humanoid bones. It does not seem to have noticed Roland or the others just yet.

The creature is known as a Blindheim, a creature that dwell beneath the surface, subsisting on meals usually of fungi, rodents, and other underground creatures. They live in the darkest, dampest regions of cavernous sprawls, particularly enjoying underground bogs, lakes, rivers, and swamps. Often use their brightly lit eyes to convey information along with blinding their prey with erratic flashes. Other races have been known to train these creatures as mobile light sources when going on long underground expeditions.

stack
2014-10-07, 02:27 PM
Roland holds up a hand to halt the others, turning to whisper, "The animal is a blindheim. It's eyes can flash, causing temporary blindness. It seems to have developed a taste for humanoid flesh, so let us take it down from a distance." He draws his bow and waits for the others to prepare themselves before loosing an arrow.inspiration [roll0] hopefully vs flat footed
damage [roll1]

Hazuki
2014-10-09, 09:59 AM
Inmortia draws her blade and moves to the front of the group, readied in case the creature decides to attack.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-09, 03:36 PM
"Wait" whispers Mags "are you sure about that? Does he have a weapon? Should we try and talk first? I am no expert about these things, so I will defer to you, but ambushing what looks like a sentient creature whiteout reason makes me a little uncomfortable..."
If so, you could all use your surprise round to ready an attack in case he turns violent...

stack
2014-10-09, 04:11 PM
"Not intelligent." Roland corrects.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-10, 01:54 AM
"Oh." says Mag, feeling a mixture of sorrow and relief.

"I guess it has to be done then.."

Daze spell on the creature.

Phasm
2014-10-10, 02:45 AM
Paivi hesitates at first, unsure whether the creature is a threat. But it seems that Roland is familiar with its kind, so she nocks an arrow to her bow and moves up next to Roland while Mag casts his spell. Blindheim, I must remember that. The hunter lets fly at the dazed creature once her line of sight is clear.

Move up to P5. From there the blindheim is within range of Point-Blank Shot.

Benson
2014-10-10, 01:39 PM
Roland's arrow flew true as it soared and hit its mark upon the blindheim's back. It let out a gurgly cry of pain which turned into one of hostility as it turned around only to find itself hit with Mags' Daze spell. It recoiled and flinched backwards, the fleshy slimy and somewhat malnourished looking creature grabbed its head with its webbed claws and shook it and then screeched again when Paivi shot at it with her arrow, it hitting the creature on its torso.

Being Dazed, the creature loses its turn in actual combat initiative, so attack it in order you all feel like.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-12, 09:23 AM
Mags keeps pounding on the poor creature's brain with his magic, hoping to keep it from attacking a little longer.

Hazuki
2014-10-12, 09:33 AM
Inmortia keeps her blade readied.

stack
2014-10-12, 08:37 PM
Roland lets fly another shaft.att [roll0] vs flat footed (hasn't acted yet)
damage [roll1]

Phasm
2014-10-14, 01:23 AM
Paivi joins Roland in shooting the blindheim full of arrows, privately hoping its cries won't bring any more creatures out of the shadows.

Benson
2014-10-14, 01:24 PM
The creature is once again bombard by Mags' magic and then struck by Paivi's and Roland's arrows, Paivi's in particular striking it down as the creature let out a bloody gurgling noise and fell. (Good use of the Daze really hehe)

A cursory search of the pool reveals a man’s body, mostly eaten. Little remains to identify the body for the blindheim has eaten most of it and has ruined its armor and clothing in the process. A belt pouch on the body’s hip is still intact and contains 42 gp, a silver unholy symbol worth 25 gp, and two water-tight potions of cure light wounds.

A knowledge religion check of 15 reveals the symbol to be of Zyphus, malignant god of accidental death. The symbol is a pick made from a human skull, rib, and femur bones. (not actually made with those, more like the bones are shaped to look like a pick)

iTookUrNick
2014-10-14, 05:44 PM
"Wow" whispers Mags as the body falls down, pierced my multiple arrows "that was... brutally efficient..."
Somebody loot the stuff :)

Phasm
2014-10-15, 01:50 AM
"So it was. We will have greater challenges ahead, though, I'm sure of it." Paivi slings her bow back over her shoulder and wades into the pool to look at what the blindheim was eating. Life on the plains leaves little room for squeamishness; she efficiently searches the body with little reaction to the grisly state of the corpse. "No weapons, odd. If there was any armor, it's been ruined by the water and the blindheim. Oho, a belt pouch... and what have we here, a necklace?" The hunter picks up the aforementioned objects to get a better look in the light of her spell.

Her expression darkens as she makes out the symbol on the pendant. "Zyphus! Pah!" Paivi spits into the pool. "A dark god of accidental death. If this one was one of his priests, he met a fitting end." Tossing the unholy symbol onto the bank, she wades back out and begins counting the coins in the pouch. "Ten gold and five silver for each of us. Good, at least I'll be able to eat and pay for my spot in the boarding house when we're done. If any of you want the unholy symbol, you're welcome to it; I'll not carry it. The sigil of Zyphus is an ill omen." She hands the booty around, since they have the time to do so.

stack
2014-10-15, 11:11 AM
"Two bodies, separate but not by far. I wonder if they fell to the same foe? Perhaps we will find more as we continue, though it is odd that the prior group did not check the body. Hmm. I suppose we just press on." Roland muses as he pockets his share.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-15, 11:33 AM
"Accidental death you say... why would anyone worship such a god?" wonders Mags "Best leave it there, unless someone else wishes to carry. If nothing else, we might decide to pick t up on our way out."
Mags pockets his share as well.

Benson
2014-10-16, 11:57 AM
So what do our heroes do now?

Hazuki
2014-10-16, 12:00 PM
"People who can't get good." Inmortia comments, following Mags' question about who would worship a god of accidental death.

stack
2014-10-16, 12:01 PM
(Head south at R)

Benson
2014-10-18, 04:34 PM
And so the four of you head southward down a short tunnel which opens up into a medium sized chamber with a ceiling at nine feet that opens up in three other directions. Towards the north-western direction, it lead to an abrupt dead end. A collection of crates, boxes, rubble, and scavenged metal lies heaped in the northwest section of this damp cave. Several strange chalk drawings of twisted, spiny plants, a strange three-legged creature, and emaciated four-armed humanoids mark the walls.

realizes that they’re some unknown, and perhaps undiscovered, race.

In your approach of this area you stealthily come across a thin smooth-skinned, hairless female humanoid in simple ragged clothing lurking amid the trash heaped to the southeast tunnel that partially blocks the sloping passage leading towards another area. She sighs and grumbles before proceeding to wipe off grime from the trash and trace her grime covered finger on the wall and began to make random marks on the wall.

http://i.imgur.com/XDicoe8.jpg

R= Roland
P= Paivi
I= Inmortia
M= Mags
?= The Mystery humanoid

iTookUrNick
2014-10-19, 03:54 PM
Seeing the woman, Mags' first concern is to avoid a repeat performance (i.e. slaughter), if at all possible. He looks at his companions and points first to his mouth and then to the woman; with another gesture he points to his companions and then to the rocks and crannies around them. The meaning should be clear: he'll try and speak to her, while everyone else should better be ready to help if things get serious. Finally, he points his thumb upward as a way asking for confirmation or dissent.

Phasm
2014-10-20, 01:03 AM
Paivi nods to Mags; the strange woman doesn't look like much of a threat. She gives him a thumbs up, then slowly gets out an arrow and fits it to her string, keeping the bow pointed down.

stack
2014-10-20, 11:20 AM
Roland gives a nod, gesturing his companion forward. Wonder how well he speaks. Haven't been together long. ROland only has +2 diplomacy, but can stand ready to toss out an aid another

iTookUrNick
2014-10-22, 03:10 AM
Mustering the necessary courage, Mags steps forward (but not too close) and address the woman. His tone is calm and soothing and his hands are empty, with open palms held toward her. He speaks common because of the statistical odds.

"Greetings. I come in peace, I mean no harm. I wish to speak with you about these caves. I believe that we can come to a mutual understanding and profit both from this encounter"

If she can be influenced, my roll is [roll0]

Benson
2014-10-22, 12:25 PM
The humanoid was rather quite startled when Mags spoke as they froze in place for a moment and then slowly turned to look at who was speaking to them. The gang would see the face of this humanoid and would recognize it for what it was, a skulk. They fell backwards on their bum and into the rubbish and started to back up into it, as if they were trying to get away.

"Sthay...sthay...bhackses........I-I...ghots..a kni---" They glanced at the weapons on the others and then shut their mouth. "Sthep bhack..I schream, I whill!"

iTookUrNick
2014-10-22, 01:14 PM
"No need to, I assure you" answer Mags, trying to calm her down "We do not want anything from you, just ask you some questions. And if you answer them, there might be a... uhm..." he looks around a little, seeing the mounds of stuff around "... a present for you. How about that?"

Benson
2014-10-22, 01:29 PM
The female skulk hesitated at the mention of a present, her body posture still stiff but at least she stopped threatening to yell She glanced at Mags and then the others and then back at Mags. "Wat swort of prhesent?" She asked cautiously and then briefly glanced over her shoulder and then back to Mags, slowly standing up.

iTookUrNick
2014-10-22, 01:44 PM
"How about a... silver necklace?" asks Mags, sensing the creature's interest. He nods for one of his companions to retrieve the thing.

Benson
2014-10-22, 01:57 PM
She steadied her gaze and narrowed her eyes in thought. "Sho lhong ahs it ish nhot dhull..." She tilted her head and took one step back. "Then...mhaybe..."

iTookUrNick
2014-10-22, 02:58 PM
"No, no: it's quite shiny. Very pretty. You'll see"

Ok, questions now?

stack
2014-10-23, 11:06 AM
"Have they seen any other groups pass through here?" Roland inquires, tackful enough not to mention the bodies already passed.

Benson
2014-10-23, 11:19 AM
"Mhaybe..." She answered unhelpfully and took a step back. "Lhotsa ghroups...thry...mhost dhies." She nodded her head. She pointed down the tunnel you lot had just come through. "Bhugs....mhoss....Phet, they thry bhut ghet khilled-ed bhy em."

stack
2014-10-24, 11:25 AM
"And those that didn't die, where did they go?"

Phasm
2014-10-25, 03:06 AM
Slowly, Paivi puts her arrow away again and makes her way back to the pool. There's the accursed unholy symbol. Hopefully the odd being won't know what it is. She picks it up by the chain and returns to where Mags and Roland are talking with the hairless woman. Once it sounds like they're done questioning her, Paivi will hand it over.

Benson
2014-10-26, 11:36 AM
"Theys ghoes...thats whays....bhut nhot shee chome bhack...fhor while..." The female skulk replied pointing towards the southern tunnel. "Mhaybe dead."

iTookUrNick
2014-10-26, 03:25 PM
"Have you ever been there yourself? Do you know what's down there? Anything... dangerous?"
I do not have any other question. If you do, keep them coming.

stack
2014-10-27, 11:08 AM
Roland waits for the response to the latest question, then nods his readiness to follow the indicated path.

Benson
2014-10-27, 11:35 AM
The skulk quickly grabbed the unholy symbol necklace from Paivi and stared at it for a bit before placing it over her neck. She fingered the symbol and glanced up at Mags.

"Ahlls of caves dhangerous...." She said glancing behind her. "Mhaybe nhot much dhangerous dat way bhut nhot all...safe ehither. Step, you whatches."

Benson
2014-11-05, 11:38 AM
The temperature drops noticeably in this passageway, and a rime of white frost lines the walls and floor leading into the cavern beyond. What seems to be a light layer of brown dust carpets the cave floor eyond—a body of some sort sits slumped against the eastern wall. The passage drops down to a 10 ft wall, over looking this brown dust looking cavern.

<A DC 10 is required to climb down, though if one is able to, they can take a 10>

http://i.imgur.com/1IgZcO1.png

stack
2014-11-05, 12:52 PM
"I have rope, if a better climber would be kind enough to anchor this end, we ought be able to get down without difficulty."

iTookUrNick
2014-11-05, 05:21 PM
"That should not be overly difficult" remarks Mags. However, he makes no move to help himself. Instead, he waits for Inmortia's now customary blessing before attempting to get down.

Hazuki
2014-11-06, 02:00 PM
Inmortia gives the man her blessing.

stack
2014-11-17, 12:26 PM
"Anyone going to hold the rope?"

iTookUrNick
2014-11-17, 08:54 PM
"I might hold the rope, as long as no one is hanging from it" jokes Mags, looking at Inmortia "but I think there might be a more suitable candidate"

Hazuki
2014-11-18, 11:19 AM
"If I hold the rope, I have no way to get down. And my armor makes me the worst climber." Inmortia points out.

stack
2014-11-18, 12:04 PM
"Fine, I'll hold the rope and just hope I don't hurt myself coming down."

Hazuki
2014-11-18, 12:05 PM
"Want me to catch you?" Inmortia asks with a smirk behind her mask.

Benson
2014-11-23, 09:39 PM
DC 12 Perception Check

You note strange ribbons and filaments of rust-colored fibers growing along the dead body's spine, throat and chest.

DC 16 Knowledge Dungeoneering

You recognize the infestation as russet mold.

stack
2014-11-24, 12:18 PM
perception [roll0]
dungeoneering [roll1]

iTookUrNick
2014-11-24, 01:31 PM
[roll0], [roll1]
What a waste... but why are we rolling again? Did i miss something?

Benson
2014-11-24, 02:17 PM
(It is right in the spoilers in my post.)