PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dipping into Wizard as a Artificer

The Vagabond
2014-08-31, 07:14 AM
So, I've recently created a Artificer 7/Combat Conjurer 1 using both 3.5 and Pathfinder material (Combat Conjurer means that I trade the Wizard's scribe scroll for a Fighter bonus feat), and I'm wondering if I should use the Magical Knack feat to boost Artificer and allow for multiclassing into another class, or use it on the Wizard class to boost my effective level to 9 with the amount of spells he has. If Multiclassing, what class should I multiclass into besides Wizard, since I get +2 to my Artificer level?

bootzin
2014-08-31, 08:52 AM
Well, firstly, you can't have a effective caster level of 9 while your ECL is 8, the feat only raises your caster level up to your character level.
Now, about the classes, I'd say cleric with war and magic domain, you'd be able to use pretty much every weapon, and literally every wand in game without a UMD check. Rogues also seem like a good option, though no bonus here.
As for PrC, you have Cannith Wand Adept, from Sharn City of Towers, which is a 3 lvl PrC that focus on wand use, you have Alchemist Savant, which seems nice for a Gnome, and finally Renegade Mastermaker, because srsly, who doesn't want to become a Living Construct?
It's just too bad that Artificers on their own can't take PrCs that require specific arcane or divine spellcasting.. Have a talk to your DM and see if he lets you take those, as long as you can replicate those spells, than you'd have some other good PrC (:

Urpriest
2014-08-31, 02:16 PM
Does magical knack work with Artificer? You don't really have a caster level.

The Vagabond
2014-08-31, 02:40 PM
Does magical knack work with Artificer? You don't really have a caster level.

To be honest, I have no idea. At all. What does an artificer Caster Level affect, anyway? I sorta forget :P
Also,

Well, firstly, you can't have a effective caster level of 9 while your ECL is 8, the feat only raises your caster level up to your character level.
Now, about the classes, I'd say cleric with war and magic domain, you'd be able to use pretty much every weapon, and literally every wand in game without a UMD check. Rogues also seem like a good option, though no bonus here.
As for PrC, you have Cannith Wand Adept, from Sharn City of Towers, which is a 3 lvl PrC that focus on wand use, you have Alchemist Savant, which seems nice for a Gnome, and finally Renegade Mastermaker, because srsly, who doesn't want to become a Living Construct?
It's just too bad that Artificers on their own can't take PrCs that require specific arcane or divine spellcasting.. Have a talk to your DM and see if he lets you take those, as long as you can replicate those spells, than you'd have some other good PrC (:

Yep, I know the first point, hence why I'm asking about other classes to Multiclass into.
Eh, I'd still want UMD to be useful for other things, so maybe other classes besides Cleric? The reason I'm dipping into Wizardry is to get the Improved Familiar, a Azata, Lyrakien, to double my ability to use magic wands, and primarily because a artificer with a snarky fairy friend is entertaining to me.
Well, I don't want to become a robot. That sounds just terrifying.
And, let's say I can, what classes would you recommend to boost my crafting abilities?