PDA

View Full Version : FFXII races question.

Crazy Owl
2007-03-08, 12:29 PM
I played Tactics Advance so I thought I would know all the races in FFXII were but I'm confused about what the strange pig like monsters are. I thought they were Nu Mou because they had big ears and hunched backs but they didn't seem to be any of them that were mages which didn't seem right and then I saw a real Nu Mou that looked completely different.

So what are the strange pig people meant to be?

Oh and I already have looked on Wikipedia and things which seemed to have info on every race except these guys.

JadedDM
2007-03-08, 05:31 PM
I think...(it's been awhile since I played it)...they're the Seeq.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-08, 06:36 PM
Bangaa, some of them are all crocodile-like and some are just piggy.

Don't know if Seeq is the Bangaa word for them, or if I sound really stupid now.

Jothki
2007-03-09, 02:02 AM
Bangaa, some of them are all crocodile-like and some are just piggy.

Don't know if Seeq is the Bangaa word for them, or if I sound really stupid now.

Bangaa are the lizard things, Seeq are the pig things.

Crazy Owl
2007-03-09, 02:27 AM
Never heard of Seeq before, thought they were Nu Mou because until had seen a real Nu Mou all I had seen were the races in Tactics Advance.

JadedDM
2007-03-09, 02:36 AM
I think the Seeq are a new race, found only in FF12.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 06:27 AM
The Nu Mou have been mentioned in FFXII, I think it's implied that they are a dead race, unless I haven't played enough...

Crazy Owl
2007-03-09, 10:15 AM
The Nu Mou have been mentioned in FFXII, I think it's implied that they are a dead race, unless I haven't played enough...

Your wrong again, there are a few Nu Mou in FXII, if you go the clan theres normally one standing on a ledge at the back which was the one I saw and realised the pig guys arent Nu Mou.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 05:51 PM
Didn't know that that guy was a Nu Mou, couldn't exactly zoom in to see the detail on him. It didn't tell you what he was, at least not yet for me...(only at that jungle so far).

Crazy Owl
2007-03-09, 06:17 PM
Well I was just thought he was one because the picture on Wikipedia wasn't very clear but looked extremely like him and he was a mage and 90% of Nu Mou seemed to be some form of mage.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 06:59 PM
Meh, it was a white hippoy thing after all...

Another FFXII: My party is level 24/24/23/25 at the moment, leaving the Osmone Plain heading west. I've only killed five marks so far, is this normal or should I have killed more by now?

kuja.girl
2007-03-09, 07:31 PM
I'm at the last stage of the game and have access to most of the bestiary entries (most of which have nothing to do with monsters) but I'm at work so I have to rely on my memory here. Don't worry NO SPOILERS here, well not plot related ones :smallamused:

Clarification of FF12 races:
The following are separate races: Hume, Seeq, Bangaa, Nu Mou, Moogle, Verra, and few others that are left unnamed or have plot points.

Many people seemed to be asking "where are the Nu Mou in FFXII?" here's the answer:
You all remember Nabradia, right? Nabradia, the country that got destroyed in the opening movie, was home to the largest population of Nu Mou. With the destruction of their "homeland" they scattered and there are very few remaining. source: side quest - Talk to the NuMou in the Nabradia Deadlands late in the game

The Seeq are not related to the Bangaa any more than Moogles are related to Humes. And there are (still) no male Verra present.
[hr]
Marks - Well I've had more trouble with certain marks than high level espers. They're tough but totally worth the trouble. The more annoying battles are with monsters called Rare Game - these guys have random spawns or very specific requirements have to be made for them to appear. I've been lucky and have killed more of these than my friend, but I've also encountered the same ones over and over again. Sometimes good luck isn't that good... :|

feel free to ask more questions - I'll try to answer them.

Sailacela
2007-03-10, 10:35 AM
I've only killed five marks so far, is this normal or should I have killed more by now?

It all depends on your focus. I alternated between adventuring and hunting when I played, which was nice because the hunting helped keep my levels up. At one point the story progression adventuring part is going to spike difficulty-wise so it's a good idea to do so. At your level it seems like you should've done a few more if you've been constantly checking the boards, but it's been awhile since I finished the game.

Tengu
2007-03-10, 10:43 AM
Am I the only one who dislikes how nonhumans became common in the newer FFs, while before they were almost (not counting random encounters and more bizarre party members) nonexistant?

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-10, 11:42 AM
I've killed two of the Rare Game, that cockatrice thing in the Estersand and the Undead mummy thing in the Westersand, they were unexpected but at least I managed to kill them!

In terms of marks I've killed them in the order they've appeared, Rogue Tomato through to the Nidhogg, but the remaining four I've got open are way too tough. I can't scratch the Rocktoise, and the Croakadile nearly fell to Belias but not quite. Am I supposed to be tackling them in Rank order, the Rocktoise coming next, or should I fight them in number order, with the Wyvern Lord coming next?

Thanks for no plot spoilers yet guys!

Alex Kidd
2007-03-10, 12:20 PM
There's a trick to the Rocktoise, just keep moving, get em aggroed on the party leader and keep running and healing. The other two(or three if you're doing at a certain time) will just kill it unopposed.

As for the Nu Mou POST JUNGLE SPOILERS
The next town thing you go to after the jungle and Paramina Rift is a temple with numerous Nu Mou

And on the increasing non-humans, the next game semms to be a return to the 7 and 8 cyberpunk style, so it shouldn't be a problem.

kuja.girl
2007-03-12, 06:43 PM
Am I the only one who dislikes how nonhumans became common in the newer FFs, while before they were almost (not counting random encounters and more bizarre party members) nonexistant?

I like it having other races and it's not really a new trend. Look at FF9 - almost all the main character weren't human and then there's Red XII from FF7.

Tengu
2007-03-12, 07:06 PM
The nonhuman races, though they have representatives in the party, are not really common in the game world in the earlier titles though (except those rat-dragons in FF9). Which does not seem to be the case in the newer ones, where it slowly stops being default that everyone is human.

Unless I'm completely mistaken and nonhumans are still rare in the newer ones, and everyone just keeps talking about them for some reason. Which makes me kinda happy.

neriana
2007-03-12, 10:48 PM

I actually hate that the entire FFXII party is human, except for Fran, and though I like her, she's fan service. I wish the party had one Hume, and everyone else was another race. The one Hume would be Balthier, of course, as he is hot and has a personality. I don't like games in which humans are "default". I live in a world which is entirely overrun by humans, I like playing in worlds in which they are but one race among many -- if they must be there at all.

Reinforcements
2007-03-12, 11:52 PM
I actually hate that the entire FFXII party is human, except for Fran, and though I like her, she's fan service. I wish the party had one Hume, and everyone else was another race. The one Hume would be Balthier, of course, as he is hot and has a personality. I don't like games in which humans are "default". I live in a world which is entirely overrun by humans, I like playing in worlds in which they are but one race among many -- if they must be there at all.
I agree. I suppose I'd have to admit that "token race" characters are silly (that's one D&D stereotype I can do without), but I would've liked a bangaa and a moogle in the party, at least. The seeq and nu mou I can take or leave.

kuja.girl
2007-03-13, 12:09 PM
Here's a good article that explains (in more detail) some of the races in FF12 and the upcoming sequel for the NDS (!!) - minor spoilers (here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Races_of_Final_Fantasy#Final_Fantasy_XII_and_Final _Fantasy_XII_Revenant_Wings)).

The nonhuman races, though they have representatives in the party, are not really common in the game world in the earlier titles though (except those rat-dragons in FF9).

Actually, there were only 4 true humans in the FF 9 party (Garnet, Eiko, Amarant and Steiner) - and even then 2 of those were weird...(explanation below).

Freya - dragon knight of a "rat" race of creature, Zidane - Genome, Vivi - mechanical doll (black mage), Quina - Qu (the weirdest race ever in a FF game). Garnet and Eiko were summoners, since they had horns, they weren't truly "human" either :smallwink:

And I agree with Neriana about the Hume ratio in FF12. I told a friend that 5:1 was an unrealistic ratio for the FF12 world - the only thing that explains it is that the plot revolves around the Hume royalty. That said, I was disappointed that there were no moogle, bangga or nu mou party members. I like the idea of the Vierra but the fact that there are NO MALES and that they all dress kind of slutty is kind of annoying to us girls.

Of course... there is Bach's bright pink shorts (opening) and Balthier who's just plain awesome :smallbiggrin: - so it's kind of a balance.

Tengu
2007-03-13, 03:14 PM
Actually, there were only 4 true humans in the FF 9 party (Garnet, Eiko, Amarant and Steiner) - and even then 2 of those were weird...(explanation below).

I am aware that Steiner is probably the only human in the whole party (Garnet and Eiko don't really count, and Amarant's skin colour is a bit too strange to be a human). However, in the game world, around 75% of inhabitants are human, and the number is so small only because of a large number of antropomorphic animals.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-14, 03:26 PM
Yeah, for me, anyone born with a horn (that they're meant to have) is not a human. So it really was just Steiner. Amarant seemed a bit too tall as well as having a ginger(!)afro.

FF9 is my favourite of the series, because I loved these characters, there was diversity in the party which I thought was great, and it was developed well in the group chemistry. FF8 was always disappointing to me because the party was only human. Too realistic for me thanks.

Anyway, back to the point, I would rather have seen some weird party members in this game. And the veira are a bit fan-servicey, but wayyyy too elven!

Tengu
2007-03-14, 06:53 PM
Amarant is a WoW troll.

The party members of FF8 were also a bit bland for me, but not because all of them are human. Look at FF6 - most characters are human (or look human, in case of Terra), but despite of this they are diverse and interesting, and those who actually are not (Mog, Umaro, maybe Gogo) are the least interesting. So it's a case of fleshing out the characters, instead of giving them a strange race.

kuja.girl
2007-03-15, 06:35 PM
let's not talk about FF8 - that deserves a whole thread by it's self since people either loved it or hated it.

I'm one of the later. My reasons are too many to list and I won't be following my own advice if I did ;)