PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Riding Druid

Winterschmied
2014-08-31, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone!

we´re going to start an new 3.5 campaign and I would like to roll a Druid whos riding on his wolf and i`ve got some problem with the rules!

First thing is, is it possible to ride a Wolf properly? And Second is in the rules is stated that you can attack even when youre war-trained mount already attacked so can a WOlf be considered a war-trained mount? Or is there a way to train it that way?

paperarmor
2014-08-31, 09:35 AM
It depends. A mount has to be at least one size category larger than your character and willing to carry said character. So yes it would be possible to ride a wolf if one is playing a small or smaller character. There are handle animal checks to train a mount for battle.

GreatDane
2014-08-31, 10:07 AM
Yes, you can ride a wolf, provided your character is Small. (Dire wolves are a thing for Medium characters, just not at low levels.)

Most DMs I've played with handwave the trained-for-war requirement for druids, but there are Handle Animal checks (for which a druid gets a +4 with regard to her animal companion) to train your furry buddy for combat.

Relatedly, there is a racial substitution level for halfling druids in Races of the Wild aimed at improving the halfling's ability to use his companion as a mount.

eggynack
2014-08-31, 12:12 PM
You can solve a lot of potential oddity by switching from a wolf to the nearly strictly superior riding dog. As for the halfling substitution levels, they do indeed help you do this thing, though it's worth note that the spontaneous casting part of the trade makes it a step down in power level.

ArqArturo
2014-08-31, 12:31 PM
You can solve a lot of potential oddity by switching from a wolf to the nearly strictly superior riding dog. As for the halfling substitution levels, they do indeed help you do this thing, though it's worth note that the spontaneous casting part of the trade makes it a step down in power level.

What's the advantage of the riding dog vs the wolf?.

eggynack
2014-08-31, 12:34 PM
What's the advantage of the riding dog vs the wolf?.
The riding dog has an extra +2 AC, +1 to trip attempts, and +2 damage on bite attacks. The wolf basically just has a 10 foot speed boost.

ace rooster
2014-08-31, 03:15 PM
The handle animal skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm) has rules for what you are wanting. Look at combat riding. Worth remembering is that they will need another attack trick to attack unnatural opponents. It is a good thing druids get bonus ones.

Depending on how you fight that extra 10ft movement can be big, so it is not a forgone conclusion which you take.

Winterschmied
2014-09-01, 08:21 AM
Thank you very much for the responses everyone! It helped me alot :D

ArqArturo
2014-09-01, 10:35 AM
The riding dog has an extra +2 AC, +1 to trip attempts, and +2 damage on bite attacks. The wolf basically just has a 10 foot speed boost.

Why do I picture them looking like this? :p

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_switzerland_saint_bernard_d_5798.jpg

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-01, 10:48 AM
Why do I picture them looking like this? :p

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_switzerland_saint_bernard_d_5798.jpg

Maybe you've read the MM?

This category includes working breeds such as collies, huskies,
and St. Bernards.

ArqArturo
2014-09-01, 11:38 AM
Maybe you've read the MM?

Collar with barrel included? :p.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-01, 12:11 PM
Collar with barrel included? :p.

If you want it, why not? Everyone should have a big dog that carries their emergency drinks. :smalltongue:

nedz
2014-09-01, 03:06 PM
Also you could take the Elemental Companion (CMage p33) ACF and grab yourself an Air Elemental.

If you don't weigh very much, being a Halfling helps here, it can carry you around. Now you might have to wait until level 6 for it to be strong enough — if you have eaten too many pies — but Fly 100 ft. (perfect) is a very good speed for a Mount. It can also function like a super strong unseen servant too; or even fight, or whirlwind, your foes.