PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Deciding on what (if anything) to run

Silus
2014-08-31, 10:27 AM
Okay, so while my turn in the DMing rotation is a ways off, I've always been one of those people that needs a plan with regards to games. Buuuuuuuut I've started kinda second guessing myself and what I want to run, or if I even want to run a game at all. So here's a brief couple ideas and the pros and cons I've thought of for each, and I'd appreciate some feedback on what course of action would be best for me to take (I'm a little torn between the options without having spoken to the group recently).

1: The Barrier World setting
You can find a link to the document in my signature there. The short of it is that it's a homebrew setting that I'm trying to keep fantasy but is, as I describe it to people, a post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech world. Out of all of the options, I wanna go with this one the most.

Pros: New and different, lots of potential to have the PCs help with the worldbuilding and takes into account some of the new tech stuff added to Pathfinder. The DM is also pretty hyped to run it.
Cons: The players apparently have little faith in me to run another homebrew game after the fiasco that was my first campaign with them (granted I was a new DM running an untested world for a group of long-time gamers I had not had experience running with). At least two of the players are turned off by the tech + magic thing that's prevalent in the setting and the party in general has the tendency to roll Chaotic Neutral or evil alignments (One claims playing evil characters is "cathartic"). Also the party seems to hate authority of any sort setting up any sort of rules or boundaries regardless of the setting.

2: D20 Warcraft
Basically run a semi-sandbox game in the Warcraft setting.

Pros: I know the setting more or less like the back of my hand, I've got the core book on hand and the other relevant PDFs on my laptop, and it's based around 3.5 which was my introduction to TTRPGs.
Cons: More or less the same as option 1, barring the homebrew setting and tech + magic thing.

3: "Skin Deep" WoD
So take the WoD system and homebrew some stuff to run a TTRPG version of this webcomic (http://www.skindeepcomic.com/archive/issue-1-cover/).

Pros: Interesting take on the WoD system, something new and fresh and (hopefully) NOT resulting in endless backstabbing.
Cons: Let's face it, it'll end in endless backstabbing. Also, I'd need to come up with the stuff for the whole "turning into mythical creatures" thing.

4: Iron Gods
So this last month (August), Paizo put out the first book in the Iron Gods Adventure Path, taking place in Numeria. Basically a structured campaign pretty similar to option 1.

Pros: Everything is already accounted for and structured, leaving the DM free to just run the AP. Also, buying the books gives me options for gear and monsters I can use in my homebrew setting.
Cons: The books aren't cheap ($12-$15 each), the AP is designed for 4 people, which makes running it with a group of 5-6 difficult, not a lot of options for creativity on the DM's part, the ever present thread of the PCs going off the rails and leaving the DM floundering.

5: New group
An idea I've been kicking around recently, just find a new group to run a game with.

Pros: Well I wouldn't have to struggle trying to run a setting I'm passionate about with a bunch of older, jaded TTRPGers.
Cons: Actually trying to find a group and learning about the players and their play styles.

Mr.Moron
2014-08-31, 12:06 PM
Option #5 without a doubt. Based on your cons list your current group sounds pretty unbearable (neckbeards?), starting fresh will let you get the ideas you like on the table!

Airk
2014-08-31, 04:54 PM
Option #5 without a doubt. Based on your cons list your current group sounds pretty unbearable (neckbeards?), starting fresh will let you get the ideas you like on the table!

I concur, I wouldn't play with that group twice.

Silus
2014-08-31, 05:35 PM

Less neckbeards and more "Older, jaded long time TTRPGers that can only seem to have fun by being evil jerks".

But yeah, gonna see about finding another group, at least for Saturdays or Sundays.

Kol Korran
2014-09-01, 01:15 AM
The way I see it, there seem to be three issues here, the first two are connected, the third less so:
1) Do you like playing with these players? I'm not talking gaming style or preferences of setting or such, but the PEOPLE themselves. I sense some... resentment towards them? It's a different thing if you don't agree about the game, than it is if your personalities, social acceptance and communication don't work.

2) Gaming styles and preferences: You mentioned a few times that they prefer the murder hobo chaotic neutral/ evil approach. Is this something you, as a DM, can accommodate for and enjoy? Say... running a pirate campaign? Or an evil organization/ crime operation stuff? I'd definitely stay away from any kind of game that puts off a group /9Such as the magi tech setting suggested). A great part of the fun is involved and participating players. If you can't get that, then don't start a play.

3) Game managing experience and skills: What are you comfortable with? My approach is to try something a bit bigger than I'm used to, to try and challenge myself and develop my skills, but not a whole lot bigger, since then I'll probably mess it up considerably, and mess everyone's fun, including mine. Do you feel up to the tasks that you set yourself up to? I'd be less concerned about setting, and more concerned about the campaign and adventure. You know your skill and comfort level. I'd suggest to try and manage something that feels exciting for you, but also that you feel you can do well, and grasp the main difficulties, obstacles and tasks ahead.

On the whole I'd suggest AGAINST adventure paths (Even though I'm running one). They are usually written towards a basic set of roleplayers, and as such often lack variety, complexity, and more often than not, you'll need to rework quite a lot of the material, which ends up with about as much work as you'd do on your own stuff, but with less involvement, and more dependency on the module. There are some exception out there, but for the most- they are just not worth it.

If the problem is with personalities then seek another group. If it's with gaming styles, try and talk to the party and see what can work for ALL of you, and see if you can accommodate. As to GMing experience and skill- just do something you can manage well, and a bit beyond your abilities, in order to challenge you as well.

Those are the big questions. If you settle them, then a setting, campaign and adventures is really what fits the above.

Prince Raven
2014-09-01, 07:05 AM
Option 6: Paranoia.

draken50
2014-09-02, 03:15 PM
I've never had a hard time finding players as a GM.

Basically, in my experience putting the "I want to GM a game, I need players" info out there tends to result in more players than you have spaces. Hell, mine was "This is only my second time GMing, first game was very short lived. Running 3.5 FR Looking for players." I had 5 in less than a week. It may not be that fast I suppose in smaller rural areas or the like, but yeah.

Do be player picky. Clearly communicate what you'd like to see in-game. If you don't want to run a PVP heavy game. Tell the potential players that. Some may say its not for them, others may ask 8,000 qualifying questions. "What if they do this? What if its what my character would do? What if they did it first?" I tend to avoid players that try to manipulate my stated goals before game starts. Non PVP in a homebrew setting. If their immediate reaction is to try to justify PVP and ask why you don't just use Greyhawk or FR or something. They probably aren't going to be the best fit for what you want to do.

Personally, I'd rather find players in line with what I'd have fun doing, than try to compromise and have less fun with other folks. I won't knock PVP heavy, backstabbing evil games. They're just not my cup of tea, and since its not the game I want to run. I don't want players that prefer it.

Garimeth
2014-09-03, 09:33 AM
Personally, I'd rather find players in line with what I'd have fun doing, than try to compromise and have less fun with other folks. I won't knock PVP heavy, backstabbing evil games. They're just not my cup of tea, and since its not the game I want to run. I don't want players that prefer it.

I agree with the whole post Draken made, but especially this. Time is finite. I only have so much time to game, and I only have so much time to live - I don't want to spend it trying to get my players on board with what I want to run and I most definitely do not want to spend my time around people that irritate me or I can't stand - I do that at work already. Not to say don't compromise or be a snob, but there is a limit to what is necessary to be polite, and I don't go much further than that.

I feel like as "geeks" we put up with alot of bad behavior from other geeks for no reason in particular, just because they are geeks too. I'm not a fan, if I can't have fun just shooting the breeze with you, I'm not going to game with you - just like I wouldn't go fishing with you, or camping with you, or invite you to a barbeque. /soapbox

Silus
2014-09-03, 01:06 PM
Well...any suggestions for how to get prospective players? The only location around here is a gaming store on the other side of town (about a 30min drive) and they've taken their little bulletin board down for people looking for games. I'm a little leery on using the internet to drum up a player base, but I'm not opposed to it.

Garimeth
2014-09-03, 01:45 PM
Well...any suggestions for how to get prospective players? The only location around here is a gaming store on the other side of town (about a 30min drive) and they've taken their little bulletin board down for people looking for games. I'm a little leery on using the internet to drum up a player base, but I'm not opposed to it.

Well, there is alway Roll20, but honestly the game store is your best bet. 30 minutes really is not that far if you are only doing it once or twice a week - and you and another player may be able to carpool once the game is up and going. As far as the bulletin board being taken down, I would just ask them if you can tape a flyer on the wall/door/counter with your contact info, or even ask why they took down the bulletin board. Another option would be business cards, but... yeah.

As far as using the internet...honestly I fail to see the difference between that and the bulletin board. Odds are some new people you don't know will be who respond and you will have to take a chance when you meet them.

Silus
2014-09-03, 01:55 PM
Well, there is alway Roll20, but honestly the game store is your best bet. 30 minutes really is not that far if you are only doing it once or twice a week - and you and another player may be able to carpool once the game is up and going. As far as the bulletin board being taken down, I would just ask them if you can tape a flyer on the wall/door/counter with your contact info, or even ask why they took down the bulletin board. Another option would be business cards, but... yeah.

As far as using the internet...honestly I fail to see the difference between that and the bulletin board. Odds are some new people you don't know will be who respond and you will have to take a chance when you meet them.

Fair point. I'll ask them if I can put up a flier thing by the front entrance when I go in next for comics. And I believe they took the bulletin board down due to them installing more shelving for new products of the "Hey here's all the new stuff so you don't have to go searching for it" kind.

Garimeth
2014-09-03, 02:19 PM
Fair point. I'll ask them if I can put up a flier thing by the front entrance when I go in next for comics. And I believe they took the bulletin board down due to them installing more shelving for new products of the "Hey here's all the new stuff so you don't have to go searching for it" kind.

Yeah if that's why they took it down i'm sure they won't mind your flier. Also, I recommend using the style where you have strips at the end with your contact info that can be ripped off.