PDA

View Full Version : General Roles in Gameplay

beforemath
2014-08-31, 01:17 PM
I see a lot of tier threads around here and they seem to talk about "roles" of classes and "situations" that they can handle. I wanted to make a list of such situations/roles so that I can get an idea of what each class can contribute to a situation and what certain classes are missing that keeps them from being able to contribute in most or all situations.

Here's my current list of roles/situations:

Damage (single-target) -- Dealing hitpoint damage to one target. (e.g. melee attack, Disintegrate, sneak attack)

Damage (multiple-target) -- Dealing hitpoint damage to multiple targets. (e.g. Fireball, Acid flask, Whirlwind Attack)

Movement -- The ability to freely traverse distance on a tactical scale (i.e. small scale). (e.g. Fast Movement, Dimension Door, Fly, Spider Climb)

Travel -- The ability to traverse long distances. (e.g. Teleport, Wind Walk, Ride skill)

Buff -- Improving an ally's ability to operate in a "situation." (e.g. Haste, Bull's Strength, Inspire Competence)

Debuff -- Decreasing an opponent's ability to operate in a "situation." (e.g. Blindness/Deafness, Intimidate skill, Ray of Exhaustion)

Healing -- The ability to restore damaged abilities. (e.g. Lay on Hands, Lesser Restoration, Wholeness of Body)

Control -- Preventing an opponent's ability to freely move, act, or attain a goal. (e.g. Wall of Stone, Incendiary Cloud, Daze Monster)

Prescience -- Gathering information about a situation before encountering it. (e.g. Hide skill (scouting), Augury, Arcane Eye)

Meatshield -- The ability to absorb, deflect, reduce, or otherwise "waste" an opponent's attack or action. (e.g. Evasion, high hitpoints, spell resistance)

Barrier Navigation -- The ability to traverse, circumvent, or ignore something preventing direct access to a goal. (e.g. Open Lock skill, Passwall, Charm Person)

There's a bit of overlap here and there. For example, Spider Climb would act as both Movement and Barrier Navigation (although the Climb skill would only act as Barrier Navigation).

Additions/comments?

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-31, 01:22 PM
This is a pretty nice list. Have you considered taking a look at Person_Man's Niche Ranking System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314701-Person_Man-s-Niche-Ranking-System)? It's more for classes while your list seems to be focused more on class features, skills, feats, and spells, but there's still probably some overlap that you could use for inspiration.

nedz
2014-08-31, 01:34 PM
There are a number of existing models you ought to consider.

The Four Threats

Combat
Arcane
Divine
Skills (Usually includes trapfinding)

Military Attributes

Firepower
Resilience
Mobility

These are all just different generalisations.

beforemath
2014-08-31, 01:37 PM
This is a pretty nice list. Have you considered taking a look at Person_Man's Niche Ranking System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314701-Person_Man-s-Niche-Ranking-System)? It's more for classes while your list seems to be focused more on class features, skills, feats, and spells, but there's still probably some overlap that you could use for inspiration.

Very nice, I was looking for something like that. Thank you.

beforemath
2014-08-31, 03:38 PM
There are a number of existing models you ought to consider.

The Four Threats

Combat
Arcane
Divine
Skills (Usually includes trapfinding)

Military Attributes

Firepower
Resilience
Mobility

These are all just different generalisations.

Now that you bring these up, I realize that I was just thinking of each role in a vacuum and not how they synergize with each other. That gives me something else to consider. Thanks.