PDA

View Full Version : "Tentacle" weapon property.

bjoern
2014-08-31, 01:33 PM
So I was browsing through a list of weapon enhancements that was assembled from various sources when I stumbled across the "tentacle" property.
Its from the Underdark book and is a +4.
It says it can be put on any weapon and that on a critical hit, they must make a fort DC 21 or their brain is extracted.

I'm trying to visualize a dagger of tentacle, or an arrow of tentacle.

A sling bullet of tentacle.

A club of tentacle, just flat out knock the brain right out of their head.....

Lol

MilesTiden
2014-08-31, 01:35 PM
Amulet of Natural Weapons. That is all.

(Bonus points if you give a tentacle Tentacle, and you aren't a mindslayer.

Bonus bonus points if you are. :smalltongue:)

Sir Garanok
2014-08-31, 01:52 PM
Well it doesn't mean it looks like a tentacle.

Let's say the magical bullet critical hits and stays attached to the victim's body.
Suddenly tentacles start to grow from the bullet devouring its brain.

Or the moment of the impact tentacles emerge from your weapon like snakes and (slowly and painfully)
devour the targets brain.

Bluydee
2014-08-31, 01:57 PM
The fluff literally states that it's a tentacle.

hamishspence
2014-08-31, 04:13 PM
The fluff literally states that it's a tentacle.

"A tentacle weapon's blade sprouts writhing, metallic tentacles around the striking edge. This difference in appearance does not affect the weapon's statistics in any way. A tentacle blade that achieves a critical hit pulls forth the target creature's brain, instantly killing it (Fort DC 21 negates)"

It goes on to list creatures not affected by it. Or at least not instantly affected by it, in the case of multiheaded creatures.

r2d2go
2014-09-01, 04:23 AM

"A tentacle weapon's blade sprouts writhing, metallic tentacles around the striking edge. This difference in appearance does not affect the weapon's statistics in any way. A tentacle blade that achieves a critical hit pulls forth the target creature's brain, instantly killing it (Fort DC 21 negates)"

It goes on to list creatures not affected by it. Or at least not instantly affected by it, in the case of multiheaded creatures.

Fortunately, it doesn't require a bladed weapon, so you can actually have a tentacle tentacle. Which would be a tentacle with more tentacles sprouting off of it. Now get this on an illithid-type tentacle that can eat brains, and you can eat brains while eating brains!

Yo dawg...

PraxisVetli
2014-09-01, 10:15 AM

Is there any way to increase the Save DC on that?
Cuz I want to make a character based on this..Anthropormorphic Dire Toad?

dextercorvia
2014-09-02, 02:27 PM
Is there any way to increase the Save DC on that?
Cuz I want to make a character based on this..Anthropormorphic Dire Toad?

Debuffs that reduce their ability to make saves, like Unseelie Fey's Winter Chill ability.

Segev
2014-09-02, 02:39 PM
Because it triggers on a critical, you want to put it on a crit-fishing weapon, such as the kukri, the rapier, the scimitar, or the falchion. You don't want a high crit-multiplier (sorry, Scythe), but rather a high crit range. And then you want either Improved Critical or Keen.

A +1 Keen Tentacle Kukri has a crit threat range of 15-20 (30% of possible results on a d20!), and is a +6-equivalent weapon. You could theoretically dual-wield them. Get bonuses to confirm crits, and go for maximum to-hit (over maximum per-hit damage). DC 21 fortitude saves are relatively easy to make, but if you're making a save or two every round because at least one successful crit landed... well, you'll fail sooner or later.

Pan151
2014-09-02, 03:06 PM
I'm personally visuallising it as something like this (http://youtu.be/MP9QXNSBxbI?t=1m12s).

Sith_Happens
2014-09-02, 03:06 PM
Because it triggers on a critical, you want to put it on a crit-fishing weapon, such as the kukri, the rapier, the scimitar, or the falchion. You don't want a high crit-multiplier (sorry, Scythe), but rather a high crit range. And then you want either Improved Critical or Keen.

A +1 Keen Tentacle Kukri has a crit threat range of 15-20 (30% of possible results on a d20!), and is a +6-equivalent weapon. You could theoretically dual-wield them. Get bonuses to confirm crits, and go for maximum to-hit (over maximum per-hit damage). DC 21 fortitude saves are relatively easy to make, but if you're making a save or two every round because at least one successful crit landed... well, you'll fail sooner or later.

Disciple of Dispater 8 (BoVD) will increase an 18-20 weapon's threat range to 12-20. The ability that does this explicitly stacks with Improved Critical (but not with Keen), which will get you a 9-20 threat range, though depending on your DM that part might get dropped during the conversion from 3.0 to 3.5 (Keen and Improved Critical stacked in the former, and the Disciple ability includes the phrase "as if wielding a keen weapon").

Next step, make your kukris Aptitude (ToB, +1 equivalent) in addition to Tentacle and take the Lightning Maces feat, which gives you an extra attack after every critical threat with a light mace (which Aptitude makes any weapon count as). At that point you're all but guaranteed to pull at least a brain per round.

...Which of course makes the next step size and reach increases. With Combat Reflexes just to make absolutely sure you're maximizing your attacks per round. Pull ALL the brains!

Snowbluff
2014-09-02, 03:15 PM
Needs Doomspeak.

malonkey1
2014-09-02, 08:30 PM
Is there a way to apply Flurry of Blows to Kukri attacks? And an item of continuous haste might be handy for the bonus attack. Plus, the various ToB maneuvers (lots of Tiger Claw ones) offer bonus attacks by eating a swift action. Oh! And of course, Time Stands Still for two full attacks. I wonder if we can get some hard numbers on max attacks per round?

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-02, 08:35 PM
Disciple of Dispater 8 (BoVD) will increase an 18-20 weapon's threat range to 12-20. The ability that does this explicitly stacks with Improved Critical (but not with Keen), which will get you a 9-20 threat range, though depending on your DM that part might get dropped during the conversion from 3.0 to 3.5 (Keen and Improved Critical stacked in the former, and the Disciple ability includes the phrase "as if wielding a keen weapon").

Next step, make your kukris Aptitude (ToB, +1 equivalent) in addition to Tentacle and take the Lightning Maces feat, which gives you an extra attack after every critical threat with a light mace (which Aptitude makes any weapon count as). At that point you're all but guaranteed to pull at least a brain per round.

...Which of course makes the next step size and reach increases. With Combat Reflexes just to make absolutely sure you're maximizing your attacks per round. Pull ALL the brains!

Zomg. This is extremely cool. Not sure how practical from an optimization standpoint, but I'd love the chance to refluff a character whose schtick is that people's brains literally exit their heads when engaging the character in combat.

Red Rubber Band
2014-09-02, 08:39 PM
Is there a way to apply Flurry of Blows to Kukri attacks? And an item of continuous haste might be handy for the bonus attack. Plus, the various ToB maneuvers (lots of Tiger Claw ones) offer bonus attacks by eating a swift action. Oh! And of course, Time Stands Still for two full attacks. I wonder if we can get some hard numbers on max attacks per round?

Shou Disciple (http://dndtools.eu/classes/shou-disciple/) lets you use any weapon for a flurry.

bjoern
2014-09-02, 08:40 PM
Zomg. This is extremely cool. Not sure how practical from an optimization standpoint, but I'd love the chance to refluff a character whose schtick is that people's brains literally exit their heads when engaging the character in combat.

That's what got me to giggling when I read the weapon property.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-02, 08:46 PM
That's what got me to giggling when I read the weapon property.

Exactly. I am picturing something like a sanctified medusa or something with the eye rays. Can you get tentacle on your eye rays? Dear gods, does it even say melee only?

Sith_Happens
2014-09-02, 08:50 PM

Forget all that, if you really need even more attacks there's a feat that gives you an extra attack every time you confirm a critical with an unarmed strike (which Aptitude likewise makes your kukris count as). I forget what it's called though.

Necroticplague
2014-09-02, 09:01 PM
Forget all that, if you really need even more attacks there's a feat that gives you an extra attack every time you confirm a critical with an unarmed strike (which Aptitude likewise makes your kukris count as). I forget what it's called though.

Roundabout Kick, I beleive.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-02, 09:06 PM

That's the one. Every time you threaten you get an extra attack, and every time you confirm you get another extra attack. Boost your confirmation rolls enough and you can more or less go infinite (at which point you don't actually need the Tentacle property anymore, but who's keeping track?:smalltongue:).

bjoern
2014-09-02, 09:09 PM

That's like full on Chuck Norris kick their brains out, literally. Lol

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-02, 09:16 PM
Or maybe refluff the tentacle bit to be brain-melting aneurysm as your awesome coolness literally blows the mind of your target.

herrhauptmann
2014-09-02, 10:38 PM
Needs Doomspeak.

Paladin of Tyranny also helps with this.
Just need to get Aura of Despair. 3 levels. Consult your DM before using, as you would technically "fall" the first time you do anything good. That could be holding the door for someone lower level than you.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-09-02, 10:42 PM
Though it's super cheesy, this seems to cry out for Leadership. You build as a crit-fisher, and your compadre is a dedicated debuffer, focusing on increasing your brain-extracting prowess.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-02, 10:47 PM
I want to combo this with that Clawlock archery build that someone very clever came up with on this forum not too long ago. Ranged archery with EB damage that sucks your brain out of your head?

Now that is a Far Realm-influence warlock that I can get behind. He talks to his rotten potato in incomprehensible tongues, cries instead of laughing and...what was the other thing... oh, right, his head is full of spiders.:smallsmile:

Chronos
2014-09-03, 08:32 AM
If you're going for a critfisher build, then you're using the Blood in the Water stance. It's as simple as that, full stop. Which incidentally also means that "boost your confirmation rolls enough" is trivial.

CallMeJefe
2014-09-03, 09:46 AM

The Eberron Campaign Setting book introduced several feats that allow monks to treat certain non-monk weapons as special monk weapons, thus allowing them to be used in a flurry of blows. Serpent Strike allows the longspear, Whirling Steel Strike allows the longsword, and Double Steel Strike allows the two-bladed sword. Since this idea is already making use of Aptitude weapons, the only things preventing one of these feats from being useful are the prerequisites: Each one requires Weapon Focus with the weapon in question. While this would not normally be taxing, the concept already calls for Lightning Mace, which in turn calls for Weapon Focus: Light Mace. I looked into the Swordsage's Discipline Focus as a means of gaining Weapon Focus with the light mace as well as one of the ______ Strike weapons, but none of the ToB disciplines includes both.

Rijan_Sai
2014-09-03, 11:43 AM
That's the one. Every time you threaten you get an extra attack, and every time you confirm you get another extra attack. Boost your confirmation rolls enough and you can more or less go infinite (at which point you don't actually need the Tentacle property anymore, but who's keeping track?:smalltongue:).

Am I bad for even having the thought cross my mind of putting this on a D2 Crusader? With or without a Tentalce weapon, I enjoy the thought of Sudden Leaping into a hoard of enemies and causing large swaths of them to vaporize...possible having a few leave their brains behind! Are there any extended crit-range weapons that do D2 damage? I never said the idea was perfect!

Now that is a Far Realm-influence warlock that I can get behind. He talks to his rotten potato in incomprehensible tongues, cries instead of laughing and...what was the other thing... oh, right, his head is full of spiders.:smallsmile:

My first thought reading this: someone got on Sheogorath's good side!

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-22, 01:17 AM
Really liked this thread. Probably going to use this concept to fuel an epic enemy for an epic campaign I am brewing up atm. Hehe. A nymph so sexy she literally blows your mind? Why, yes, please.