PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Animal Companions, stat blocks, are they suppose to be off?

killem2
2014-08-31, 01:55 PM
Are animals they list in the book such as small cat (leopard, cheetah) they are missing a lot of their special attacks and such.

Why is the leopard listed when it clearly only gets cheetah abilities.

Yanisa
2014-08-31, 02:09 PM
Yes. The Animal Companion stats are intended to be different then the normal animals from the bestiaries.

Although I am not sure why they decided that both Leopards and Cheetahs could be simulated with the same stat block, but I guess they wanted to avoid to make a stat block for every animal. Proved by the fact that in the Core Rule Book all dinosaur animal companion have the same stat block. :smalltongue:

killem2
2014-08-31, 02:40 PM
Well that's cool, I'm going to ahead and let him at 4th level increase instead of having 50ft speed and sprint and trip, take the pounce, rake, and grab.

Really was not reason in typing out other cats names if you were just going to try and consider them all the same.

deuxhero
2014-08-31, 04:39 PM
I actually like the system PF has instead of actually giving you that animal. Makes it feel more like a real class feature that grows stronger with time instead of another character.

Annoys me how the Celestial Servant FAQ didn't actually use "an animal companion's hit die aren't actually animal racial hit die" as a reason for the ruling and just said "no because we said so". Would have been great way to reinforce the point.

Roog
2014-09-01, 01:50 AM
A lot of it looks like poor organization of the change from 3.5 to PF. For example the PF horse animal companion uses the stats from the 3.5 heavy horse - suggesting that the stats from the 3.5 horse were copied into the new animal companion rules and not checked against changes from 3.5 to the Bestiary.

D&D 3.5 Heavy Horse
Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

PF Horse (Creature)
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7

PF Horse (Animal Companion)
Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

I actually like the system PF has instead of actually giving you that animal. Makes it feel more like a real class feature that grows stronger with time instead of another character.

I also like the way the PF system makes animal companions fee more like class features than actual animals.

caimbuel
2014-09-01, 02:19 AM
The feat to add a summon eldion point to your companion adds immense possibilities, now any pet can ponce, or many, many other shenanigans.

caimbuel
2014-09-01, 02:21 AM
Already have a non PFS game I run with a pouncing APE with 2 large size falcuta's to swing around, smart dang ape too, 3 base and a
+4 headband.