PDA

View Full Version : wizard spells

khachaturian
2014-08-31, 06:37 PM
played my first 5e session last night with the module from the starter set, and wanted to share my impression of wizard spells, and see what other people's experience has been so far

- minor image. got lots of mileage out of this one, especially when the setup looked like an obvious ambush. making a fat, juicy hobbit is just too much for bad guys to resist

- prestidigitation. always useful

- fire bolt. without the monster manual, i'm not really sure what sort of resistances and immunities are to be expected down the line. it felt like a toss up between this and ray of frost, but it doesn't really seem like movement speed has factored in much at this point. also, the utility of lighting stuff on fire is a plus.

- sleep. yes, it's that good. normal casting time. no monster that i know of is immune

- find familiar. incognito rat scout with darkvision and telepathy. what's not to like?

- detect magic. as a ritual, doesn't burn spell slots

- grease. didn't use it. reconsidering this one, as prone isn't as bad a condition as it once was. between prone and difficult terrain, my guess is that this spell is designed to eat up enemy movement speed. may be superfluous after web. also wondering how most dm's would adjudicate how this spell would interact with things like bull rush (shoving, pushing attack) and thorn whip.

- fog cloud. didn't use it. my expectation is that it will be useful against enemy archers with good position/cover when they have too many hit points to be taken down by sleep

- silent image. didn't use it. with minor illusion, may be superfluous. i was thinking about specializing in illusion. that would make minor illusion an even better option and silent image less useful, relatively speaking. but at level 14, silent image would become partially real. at the same time, by level 14, i should be able to find a scroll or a library to copy the spell.

so at the end of the session, we leveled up. i was thinking about picking up mage armor and charm person. also considering retconning my spell book to drop grease and silent image to pick up shield and protection from evil.

pwykersotz
2014-08-31, 09:59 PM
My friend who played a wizard had great luck with an opening salvo of magic missile followed by sleep. Each missile strikes for an average of 3.5 damage, which is slightly less than adding an extra d8 to the sleep effect per missile. Granted it's a two-round combo, but it's brutal when you have surprise and great for taking prisoners.

Dimcair
2014-09-02, 06:17 AM
Levitation to target enemies with a low CON save. (certain areas only)
Suggestion can be used quite successful as well.

Minor image, I have gotten no opportunity to get any use out of it so far. Plus I thought you can only 'create' objects. Not living things like halflings...