PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Energon Evoker - Arcane Destruction by Cold, Fire, Lightning or Sound [PEACH]

Zakaroth
2014-08-31, 06:40 PM
Designers Notes & Goal:

Designers Notes: I have posted this class before a year ago, but not being completely content with it, it underwent a major overhaul. So, I decided to start a new post, containing the new draft. Initially the class took negative energy as an attune option. However, after receiving some feedback and giving it some though, negative indeed seemed to be in conflict with rules (RAW) as it isn't officially an energy type (strange, considering the name). In conclusion, it was better to remove negative energy and leave that for a separate prestige class. People also strongly suggested I put in sonic, which made sense, so I did.
Acid is purposely left out. I just can't see acid as an energy type. It is, by it's definition, a substance. Based on the psionic handbooks, WotC at some point seemed to agree with this fact, as the energy powers described in there can only be manifested as cold, fire, electric or sonic.
Force, was omitted as well. Besides being a very strong type, the problem I have with Force is that I don't really understand what Force damage is in D&D. Based on the name, I would say its pure kinetic energy, but it's strange interaction with incorporeal creatures kind of makes me doubt that. However, adding force is open for discussion, so let me know what you think.

The goal was to make a prestige class for the sorcerer, themed around powerful manipulation of a single energy-type and is capable of blasting like there's no tomorrow. The powerlevel I was aiming for was about high T3 to T2, like the sorcerer. I'm looking on feedback, mostly wording/grammer and balance issues. Niffty suggestion are welcome as well ofcourse.

Energon Evoker
http://nl.tinypic.com/m/j0bgc2/1
"I love the smell of ozone in the morning" —C'zar Voll, Lightning Evoker

Energon Evokers are a rare breed of sorcerers whose blood-bound arcane energies have a mysterious affinity for a specific energy type. By willingly embracing this phenomenon, they attain increasingly powerful single-energy manipulation capabilities.

Requirements
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcrafting 4 ranks.
Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation), Empower Spell
Spells: Able to spontaneous cast five spells that have one of the following descriptors in common: cold, electricity, fire or sonic. Two of which must be at least of 2nd level and at least three of the Evocation school.

Class Skills
The Energon Evoker’s class skills are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Hit Dice: d6

Class Table:
LevelBase AttackFortRefWill Special +CL/DCSpellcasting1st
+0
+0
+0
+2 Arcane Adaptation, Energon Attunement
+1+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3 Overchannel
+1+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3 Energon Manifestation
+1+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells4th
+2
+1
+1
+4 Energy Manipulation
+1+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells5th
+2
+1
+1
+4 Overwhelming Power
+1+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells6th
+3
+2
+2
+5 Evokers Grace
+2+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells7th
+3
+2
+2
+5 Unyielding Evocations
+2+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells8th
+4
+2
+2
+6 Improved Energy Manipulation
+2+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells9th
+4
+3
+3
+6 Great Empowerment
+2+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells10th
+5
+3
+3
+7 Energon Cataclysm, Energy Mastery
+2+1 level to attuned arcane energy spells[tr][td]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Energon Evoker gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level, an Energon Evoker gains increased spells per day, spells known and an increased caster level for a spontaneous arcane class he had before entering this class. He may only learn new spells with his attuned energy descriptor or non-damage dealing spells of the Divination or Abjuration school. When he gains access to higher level spells, he must select at least one spell with his attuned energy descriptor.

Arcane Adaptation (Ex): The Energon Evoker learns to adapt energy spells to match his attuned type. As a result, whenever he learns new spells known by gaining a level in a spontaneous arcane caster class, he may learn up to two energy damage based spells with one of the descriptors cold, electricity, fire, force or sonic. It has its energy type permanently changed to match his attuned descriptor. The energy damage the spell deals is converted to match his type. However, secondary affects that are part of the original spell’s energy type and that are associated with that type, are lost (for example a cold spell that would freeze its target would lose this effect if it would be converted to another type). Any lower level spells which are learned prior to gaining this ability, but would have qualified for it, are converted in the same way.
• Finally, he may also learn spells with the attuned descriptor from the Bard, Cleric and Druid spell lists. However, they are cast as arcane spells.

Energon Attunement (Ex): The first step toward energon energy attunement requires the evoker to break the bonds with all other energy types, dedicating himself to his natural energy affinity. Upon entering this class he selects the energy type (cold, electricity, fire or sonic) that matches the spells he used to qualify for this prestige class. From now on he becomes unable to cast spells with any of the descriptors cold, electricity, fire, force, negative and sonic or deals damage of the respective type, with the exception of his attuned one. In addition, whenever the Energon Evoker gains a level in a spontaneous arcane casting class, which as a result grants him access to higher level spells, he must include at least two spells with his attuned energy descriptor to his spells known.
• This dedication to his energy affinity manifests itself in several ways; from this point on all instantaneous damage dealing spells with his attuned energy descriptor are considered of the Evocation school, and his CL and spell DC’s are increased when casting spells with his attuned energy descriptor.
• Finally, the Energon Evoker develops resistance against his attuned energy type, gaining a bonus equal to his class level on all saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities that manipulate his energy type. Plus he gains energy resistance equal to 5 plus 5 per two class levels (rounded up). This is replaced by energy immunity at 10th level.

Overchannel (Ex): At 2nd level, the Energon Evoker starts to learn how to release more raw arcane power into his energy spells. Whenever he cast a spell of his energy type, he may extend its casting time by one step to raise the spells maximum damage dice limit by 10% per class level. This ability is automatically applied when he uses metamagic and stacks additively with Empower Spell feat.

Energon Manifestation (Su). At 3rd level, the Energon Evoker starts to manifest an ability unique to his energy type:

Cold Manifestation
• Frostwalker: Whenever the Evoker channels the cold, layers of crystalline ice sheet his body. As he casts a cold spell, he gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC, and temporary hit points equal to 1 plus the spells level. The icy layers last for one round. Furthermore, the evoker is treated as being permanently under the effect of Snowsight (http://dndtools.eu/spells/frostburn--68/snowsight--1325/), and becomes able to walk on any ice covered surface without incurring any movement penalties.

Electric Manifestation
• Nerve Augmentation: The Evoker augments his neural pathways, providing an enhancement bonus to Dodge AC, Initiative and Reflex saves equal to his Charisma modifier, however this bonus may not exceed his Dexterity modifier. As swift action, he may extend this ability to form a 30 ft. aura, granting an equal bonus to allies within its effect. He may extend his ability once per day for every three class levels, and lasts for 1 minute per class level.

Fire Manifestation
• Burning Soul: The Evoker burns from within, from now on he can feed on flames and breath normally within heavy smoke or fire. As a swift, action he can turn his eyes into spheres of molten fury. While this ability is active, the Evoker detects all sources of heat within 60 feet, ranging from fires to simply body heat. Once per day for every three class levels, he may intensify his overwhelming gaze, allowing him to add twice his Charisma modifier to Intimidate checks and enabling him to demoralize each opponent that meets his gaze as a move action.

Sonic Manifestation
• Sonuomancy: The Evoker’s increasing ability to sense and manipulate sound allows him to perceive the world in a way unlike ever before. He gains Blindsight up to 10 ft. per class level. Furthermore, his improved ability to manipulate sound allows him to cast spells while omitting their verbal component (similar to Silent Spell metamagic). This suppression of verbal components is optional. Finally, he gains Listen and Move Silently as class skills and receives a competence bonus to these skills equal to his class level and uses Charisma as the key ability modifier for these skills.

Energy Manipulation (Ex): At 4th level, the Energon Evoker has mastered his energy type to such an extent that he can apply metamagic to his energy spells with relative ease. An Energon Evoker gains a number of Manipulation points per day equal to half his class level plus the number of metamagic feats he has. Whenever he applies a metamagic feat to a spell with his energy descriptor, he may expend one manipulation point to reduce the feat's spell slot increase by one level. He may only apply this reduction once per spell cast.
• In addition, upon gaining this ability he may choose one of the following feats as a bonus metamagic feat; Chain Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extent Spell, Heighten Spell, Sculpt Spell or Widen Spell.

Overwhelming Power (Ex): At 5th level, the Energon Evoker learns how to force his energy to harm even to most resistant of enemies. Creatures immune to his energy type still take half damage and the corresponding energy resistance is ignored.

Evokers Grace (Ex): At 6th level, the Energon Evoker learns how to gracefully manipulate his area spells to prevent harm to allies. When he casts a spell that affects an area, he may exclude a number of 5 ft. squares equal to half his class level from harm.

Unyielding Evocations (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, the Energon Evoker gains a deeper understanding in how to focus energy to overwhelm his enemy’s defenses. Whenever he makes a spell resistance check for a spell with his attuned energy descriptor, he may roll twice, keeping the higher result.

Improved Energy Manipulation (Ex): At 8th level, the evokers energy manipulation abilities improve, allowing him to apply two Manipulation points per spell cast. In addition, when he applies a Manipulation point, the Metamagic feat no longer increases the casting time.
• Upon gaining this ability you may choose one of the following feats as a bonus metamagic feat; Chain Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extent Spell, Heighten Spell, Sculpt Spell or Widen Spell.

Great Empowerment (Su): At 9th level, the Energon Evoker further masters his energy type, unlocking its full potential for destruction. Whenever the Energon Evoker casts a damage spell with his chosen energy descriptor, the spells damage dice increase by one size category. Furthermore, when his energy spells become Empowered, they become enhanced beyond normal empowerment, triggering a secondary effect based on the energy type.
• Empowerment Effect DC is 10 + half your spontaneous caster level + your Charisma modifier - Creatures that are normally immune to the energy type are immune to the secondary effect.

Cold Empowerment
• Uttercold: Your cold spells freeze their targets to the core, able to stop whole armies in their tracks. Empowered cold spells leave their targets Froststruck. A Froststruck creature can take only a single -move or standard action each turn, moves at halve its normal speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls. Additionally, it receives a Froststruck penalty to Dexterity equal 1 point for every 4 dice of cold damage the spell did. This effect lasts for 1 minute. A successful Fortitude save negates the Froststruck effect.

Electric Empowerment
• Nerveshatter: Your electric spells ravage nerves and muscles, leaving behind twitching corpses surrounded by the penetrating smell of burned flesh and ozone. Empowered electric spells stun their target for 1 round, and deal an additional point of Strength and Dexterity damage for every 5 dice of electric damage the spell did. A successful Fortitude save negates these effects.

Fire Empowerment
• Immolation: Your fire spells consume their targets with an inferno of unearthly flames, reducing all to ashes. Empowered fire spells Immolate their targets, dealing half the initial damage at the beginning of the victim's next turn and will continue to burn for 1 point of fire damage per dice of damage the source spell did. At the beginning of their following turns, an immolated creature is allowed a Reflex save (DC 15) to extinguish the flames. If an creature dies by the initial fire spell or while under the effect of immolation, it's body is completely reduced to ashes (as by the Disintegrate spell). A successful Reflex save prevents being Immolated.

Sonic Empowerment
• Sonication: A violent blast of sound waves ravages the ground, turning it to rubble. Empowered sonic spells creating difficult terrain in the affected area and deafens all creatures within (Fortitude negates). For 1 round, the residual sonic disturbances induce a 50% chance of spell failure in spells with verbal components. If the empowered sonic spell has a single target, these effects translate to the squares occupied by it. The deafness can be cured by Cure Serious Wounds spell or similar higher level healing magic.

Energon Cataclysm (Sp): Once per day, as a full-round action, the Energon Evoker can violently channel his raw attuned energy to breach the surrounding world, allowing him to temporarily change the elemental traits of the plane itself. The Energon Cataclysm has a 120-foot radius which is centered on the Evoker and it lasts for 2d6 rounds. Each energy type has its own unique traits. The enhanced magic trait works passively and does not extend casting time or increase spell level.

Cold Cataclysm
• Frozen Core: The temperature plummets to abyssal levels, dealing 1d10 points of cold damage each round. Within seconds, a blizzard of snow, hail and sleet erupts in the area. All sight (even darkvision) in the Frozen Core is blocked and the ground instantly freezes over. Movement within the area is reduced to half normal speed and instills a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means the creature can't move in that round. If it fails by 5 or more it falls.
• Enhanced Magic: Spells with the Cold descriptor are Empowered and Extended.
• Impeded Magic: Spells with the Fire descriptor are cast at half the normal caster level.

Electric Cataclysm
• Static Storm: Within an instant, a field of strong static energy fills the area. Within moments after the incursion, a violent storm picks up and a gyre of black clouds and lightning chains ravages the sky. All creatures affected by the Static Storm are polarized, and as a result they are denied their Reflex save against electricity spells. Furthermore, ranged touch attacks made as part of an electricity spell gain a +20 circumstance bonus on attack rolls. Finally, when two creatures (including the Evoker) come within 20 feet of each other, a violent arc bursts between them, dealing 2d20 points of electricity damage to each creature. This effect can occur multiple times per round, but can only affect an individual creature once. If several creatures are lined up the arc can chain through them.
• Enhanced Magic: Spells with the Electricity and Wind descriptor are Empowered and have their range doubled.
• Impeded Magic: None.

Fire Cataclysm
• Scorching Waste: With a wave of rippling air a blast of extreme heat bursts outwards, setting the world aflame. The temperature band is increased to Burning Heat, dealing 3d12 points of fire damage each round. All oxygen within the area is consumed by the flames that erupt from the ground, causing creatures that rely on air to suffocate. Those in the area without fire resistance have their eye sight impeded by the scorching heat, suffering a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Spot and Search checks.
• Enhanced Magic: Fire spells are Empowered and have their area of effect increased by 50%.
• Impeded Magic: Cold and Water spells are cast at half the normal caster level.

Sonic Cataclysm
• Resonance Field: The ground starts to vibrate as the area is filled with intense high frequency sound waves, nullifying all normal sound and disrupting matter coherence. Everything within the area takes 1d10 points of sonic damage each round. Creatures and objects made from stone, glass, crystal or ooze-like substances take 10 points of sonic damage instead. The nullification of normal sounds means that all within the area are treated as being Deafened and spells with verbal components can't be cast (unless they are Silenced). Finally, the waves disrupt the formation of portals, the area is treated as being under the effect of Dimensional Lock (http://dndtools.eu/spells/magic-of-faerun--20/dimensional-lock--1574/) spell.
• Enhanced Magic: Spells with the Sonic descriptor are Empowered.
• Impeded Magic: Earth and Conjuration spells are cast at half the normal caster level.

Energy Mastery (Ex): The evoker gains immunity to his energy type. Furthermore, whenever he becomes to target of a spell or spell-like ability that manipulates his energy type, he is treated as if he is under the effect of Spell Turning (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/spell-turning--2368/), allowing up to 10 spell levels to be turned every 5 rounds.

Hipster Dixit
2014-09-01, 01:44 PM
Ah, I remember this class. I like it very, very much. I do not see any glaring issue, so I'll just point out one or two nitpicks. You really should make other classes :D

- Is this a 3.5 class? I don't remember any Fly skill. From where does it come from?

- Overchannel: what do you mean with increasing damage cap? Do you mean, for example, that a 20th level energon evoker can cast a fireball (max 10d6 damage) that deals 20d6 damage? I ask this because I don't get why did you feel there was need to clarify its interaction with Empower spell.

- Many of the Energon Manifestations and their evolution are quite strong. Since the Energon Evoker's casting is limited (compared to a regular sorcerer), it could be ok. I reccomend giving it a per-day uses, though.

- Energy Manipulation could possibly lead to some abuse, I am not sure about it. It's a good ability, but metamagic reduction should always be treated carefully in D&D. Since this class is supposed to be blasting for the 80% of the time, I guess it's ok, though.

- Capstone is very cool, nice job.

There is one last thing that I want to ask. Where is the Acid Evoker? I would totally play one :D

Zakaroth
2014-09-02, 01:38 PM
Ah, I remember this class. I like it very, very much. I do not see any glaring issue, so I'll just point out one or two nitpicks. You really should make other classes :D
Thanks, I have actually been working on a base class for some time, it would fit quite well with your Ars Daemonica project. I kind of work on these classes/ToB-disciplines when I have some spare time and inspiration. It's an on-and-off kind of thing.

- Is this a 3.5 class? I don't remember any Fly skill. From where does it come from?
Its a remnant from the pathfinder sorcerer skill list, which a blatantly copied :P Removed to fix.

- Overchannel: what do you mean with increasing damage cap? Do you mean, for example, that a 20th level energon evoker can cast a fireball (max 10d6 damage) that deals 20d6 damage? I ask this because I don't get why did you feel there was need to clarify its interaction with Empower spell.
Yes, thats exactly what it does. I changed the wording slightly, hopefully its clearer now... is it? :D

- Many of the Energon Manifestations and their evolution are quite strong. Since the Energon Evoker's casting is limited (compared to a regular sorcerer), it could be ok. I reccomend giving it a per-day uses, though.
Your right. I forgot to add uses-per-day to the Burning Soul demoralize option. Its now limited per-day based on class level. I'm still uncertain if nerve augmentation is ok, might be a bit to strong. I think the other ones are fine though.

- Energy Manipulation could possibly lead to some abuse, I am not sure about it. It's a good ability, but metamagic reduction should always be treated carefully in D&D. Since this class is supposed to be blasting for the 80% of the time, I guess it's ok, though.
Because the manipulation points are limited in both application and uses per day, I think its fine. Although I did change the number of points to scale with class level instead of Charisma, seemed less abusive.

- Capstone is very cool, nice job.
Nice, glad you like it.

There is one last thing that I want to ask. Where is the Acid Evoker? I would totally play one :D
Haha, fair enough, its a cool theme indeed. I discussed this shortly at the top of the class post (top spoiler, designers notes part). Its a bit tricky theme-wise (at least for me), because acid is not an energy but a substance and this class is all about manipulating energy. For this same reason there are very few acid evocation spells, which would make qualifying, as acid, pretty difficult.