PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard Wars in the Playground VI: Wonderworker + Profession Skill - Factotum

OMG PONIES
2014-08-31, 10:10 PM
Welcome to Junkyard Stadium! It is in this hallowed pile of miscellaneous parts that we will hold a competition of Practical Optimization with three components. The catch? Competitors may not use the third item in their builds!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Goal: For most challenges, the "special components" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret components from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in Build Stability and/or Power.

Workshop: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon Magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Build Stability below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere as this may cause a Build Stability deduction at the judges' discretion. If you use web material, link it. Dragon Magazine Compendium is allowed.. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and fractional saves are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for one or more of the Components.

Completion Time: Contestants will have until [11:59 PM GMT on September 15th, 2014] to create their builds and PM them to the chairman, OMG PONIES. Builds will then be posted simultaneously to avoid copying. Judges will have until [11:59 PM GMT on September 29th, 2014] to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted. As the precedence has been set from Episode 2, should all prospective judges have posted their rulings in a neat, timely fashion and all disputes have been settled satisfactorily (to either judges, contestants, or the Chairperson), the judging period may end prematurely to give way to a new episode. No reason to keep working on a finished building and avoid moving onto the next one.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries. Also for this reason, PLEASE do not include any material that may or may not offend any potential viewers/judges/competitors OR break forum rules: It'll be me who gets in trouble for it, and you don't want that! Any builds which utterly and grossly violate forum rules WILL be withheld.

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.NAME OF ENTRY
LevelClassBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSkillsFeatsClass Features

1stNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

2ndNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

3rdNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

4thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

5thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

6thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

7thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

8thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

9thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

10thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

11thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

12thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

13thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

14thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

15thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

16thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

17thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

18thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

19thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

20thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

Table Code:

NAME OF ENTRY

1stNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

2ndNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

3rdNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

4thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

5thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

6thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

7thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

8thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

9thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

10thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

11thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

12thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

13thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

14thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

15thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

16thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

17thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

18thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

19thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

20thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

For entries with spellcasting or other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of spells per day/spells known/PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until after the reveal in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned: We're creating one things, not all of the things. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So who wants to sign up as a contestant and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This competition has two Necessary Components and one Forbidden Component.

This one is themed around tomorrow's American holiday Labor Day! We've got a PrC known for being a worker and a skill used by highly trained professionals. But please, no dabblers this round--only qualified applicants need apply. Also, your build is allowed to wear white pants if they'd like. While it's a fashion faux pas, I won't stop you.

1. Originally introduced in Book of Exalted Deeds:

The Wonderworker Prestige Class!
2. Originally introduced in The Player's Handbook:

The Profession Skill!
And the Forbidden Component:
3. Originally introduced in Dungeonscape:

The Factotum Base Class!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build that doesn't gain a medal. Contestants are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. Everyone else can vote in-thread.

Ready? Steady? Get to the junkyard and start building!

Previous Competitions:
Episode 1: Shadowdancer + Sneak Attack - Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342896-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-II)
Episode 2: Healing Spells + Ruby Knight Vindicator - no Cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337864-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-I)
Episode 3: Dragon Type + Mystic Theurge - Kobold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347412-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-III-Dragons-Theurges-Kobolds)
Episode 4: Book of Exalted Deeds + Undead Type - Completes Books (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?355278-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-IV-BoED-Undead-Type-Completes)
Episode 5: Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler - Fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360271-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-V-Dread-Witch-Reaping-Mauler-Fighter)

Kazyan
2014-08-31, 11:37 PM
*Scribble scribble scribble* I already have a big dumb idea!

dysprosium
2014-08-31, 11:52 PM
My entry will not be wearing white!

WhamBamSam
2014-09-01, 12:14 AM
This is actually sort of interesting for reasons that I expect will be speculation. I don't know if I've got an idea, but I'll try to research a few things.

Not sure why Factotum is the banned ingredient though. Does it have some synergy with Wonderworker that I'm unaware of? I only know of one cheesy use for the PrC.

rockdeworld
2014-09-01, 01:36 AM
Hm, I come back to the forum and this catches my eye :smallwink:

It's interesting... Looks like an Iron Chef that pre-bans a telegraphed ingredient. I'm kindof curious to see what people come up with for this one, as I've almost never seen Profession put to good use (Elans excluded). And what an interesting class. Horrible, and interesting. Good luck participants :smallcool:

Sian
2014-09-01, 03:20 AM
guh ... this could be tricky, allready trashed a good number because they were either to cheesy or didn't actually use their profession checks for much

Macabaret
2014-09-01, 05:18 AM
*enters to the glorious fanfare of trumpets*
Back after an extended absence!
*waits patiently for the raucous applause to die down*

Aaaaannd because I so love to poke a sleeping bear just for giggles:
1)
...These bonus feats must be drawn from among those identified as exalted feats in Chapter 4: Feats.
Q: Does this mean that (for the purpose of this competition) the bonus feats chosen cannot be exalted feats from a source other than the Book of Exalted Deeds?

2)
...A psion who adopts the wonderworker class receives bonus power points/day equal to one-half of the sum of his psion level and his wonderworker level. A psychic warrior/wonderworker receives bonus power points/day equal to one-third of the sum of her psychic warrior level and her wonderworker level....
Q: Are the psion and the psychic warrior the only psionic classes that gain extra PP from wonderworker levels?
Q: Does a psion or psychic warrior (or other psionic class if allowed) include levels in PRCs that advance manifester level when determining their PP gained from the wonderworker class?

Amphetryon
2014-09-01, 06:28 AM
I have a dumb idea. I may enter it.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-01, 07:03 AM
Not sure why Factotum is the banned ingredient though. Does it have some synergy with Wonderworker that I'm unaware of? I only know of one cheesy use for the PrC.

You'll find that my selection of banned ingredients may not always be directly resulted to optimization. In this case, factotum was banned because it's a class for serial dabblers. We want trained, focused professionals to go with our "work" theme.

*enters to the glorious fanfare of trumpets*
Back after an extended absence!
*waits patiently for the raucous applause to die down*

w00t! Huzzah! Welcome Back!

Q: Does this mean that (for the purpose of this competition) the bonus feats chosen cannot be exalted feats from a source other than the Book of Exalted Deeds?

Correct.

Q: Are the psion and the psychic warrior the only psionic classes that gain extra PP from wonderworker levels?

They are indeed.

Q: Does a psion or psychic warrior (or other psionic class if allowed) include levels in PRCs that advance manifester level when determining their PP gained from the wonderworker class?

The text doesn't say that they do, so I'm inclined to say no.

sakuuya
2014-09-01, 08:54 AM
Do we get the Junkyard-usual extra XP to spend on crafting and stuff?

Sian
2014-09-01, 09:35 AM
I have a dumb idea. I may enter it.

This... dumb idea that just might work

OMG PONIES
2014-09-01, 08:56 PM
Do we get the Junkyard-usual extra XP to spend on crafting and stuff?

I'm unfamiliar with this particular wrinkle. What has usually been done in the Junkyard?

sakuuya
2014-09-01, 10:09 PM
I'm unfamiliar with this particular wrinkle. What has usually been done in the Junkyard?

For the last couple rounds, we've gotten a little XP wiggle room:

CONCERNING EXP REQUIREMENTS: Each build is allotted exactly 200,000 EXP. This is roughly 10,000 EXP more than necessary to get to 20th level. Please take note of this when planning your character for circumstances like LA Buyoff, Item Crafting, Magic Use, Multiclassing EXP Penalties, etc.

This competition's still pretty new, so I don't know if Kazudo intended for this rule to extend to all future rounds, but since it showed up twice in a row in normal rounds (as opposed to round 3's "special" 5 free LA), it seems like he might've.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-02, 05:44 AM
Sounds good, then. 200,000 XP for everyone!

Deadline
2014-09-02, 10:05 AM
You know? I think I've got a couple of ideas for this. And they are flat out terrible. :smallbiggrin:

heavyfuel
2014-09-02, 10:28 AM
I shall participate!

Also, I'm new to this challenge, so I need ask. Is the goal to build a really powerful character, or just a playable one to go with the fluff?

Is retraining feats as per the PH2 allowed?

Sian
2014-09-02, 01:10 PM
the most powerful character thats playable and follows fluff without running into any rules issues, and this case highlighting the use of the Profession skill

Power, Originality, Elegance and Use of Secret Ingredients

Retraining aren't per say banned (going from previous rulings in ZS and IC), but it is frowned upon and might get a ping on Elegance

ranagrande
2014-09-02, 02:09 PM
I may try to enter this too.

heavyfuel
2014-09-02, 03:25 PM
So, do we get gold for items? If yes, then is it WBL?

Deadline
2014-09-02, 03:31 PM
So, do we get gold for items? If yes, then is it WBL?

You can assume WBL, but generally it's unnecessary to list items unless there is an unusual combination. We all know everyone gets better with items, and there is a standard array of items that pretty much every character takes. So going through the motions to include them is ... mostly pointless.

Telonius
2014-09-02, 04:29 PM
I'm in for judging! (Hopefully no catastrophe happens to prevent it this time around...) I'll send my criteria within a day or so.

sideswipe
2014-09-02, 05:13 PM
im pretty sure im in, but as with what i have said in iron chef - if there is less than 3 judges and a full compliment of entries i will take a hand at judging.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-03, 05:27 AM
the most powerful character thats playable and follows fluff without running into any rules issues, and this case highlighting the use of the Profession skill

As well as the Wonderworker prestige class, mind you.

I'm in for judging! (Hopefully no catastrophe happens to prevent it this time around...) I'll send my criteria within a day or so.

Huzzah! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Amphetryon
2014-09-03, 06:11 AM

Power, Originality, Elegance and Use of Secret Ingredients

Retraining aren't per say banned (going from previous rulings in ZS and IC), but it is frowned upon and might get a ping on Elegance

Note that the Junkyard Wars mesh Elegance and UoSI into 'Build Stability,' at least in past rounds.

SecretFlyer
2014-09-04, 05:19 PM
I've got a little idea. I'll enter.

Telonius
2014-09-04, 07:00 PM
I've sent in my criteria. Looking forward to seeing all the builds!

heavyfuel
2014-09-04, 11:37 PM
I've sent in my criteria. Looking forward to seeing all the builds!

Don't contenders get access to the judging criteria? Or are we supposed to build blindly and hope to meet said criteria?

OMG PONIES
2014-09-05, 05:18 AM
Don't contenders get access to the judging criteria? Or are we supposed to build blindly and hope to meet said criteria?

Rather than building blindly, I'd say "build what you'd enjoy playing." It's way more enjoyable than building in a specific way to cater to the judge's criteria.

Sian
2014-09-05, 03:41 PM
gah ... just used 3 hours on chasing down where i was short one point (i kept coming up 1 skill point short of what i excepted it to become, when i held up my excepted total and my actual total)

Only Fluff to go, and i only need to make it pretty since i already have it pretty much hashed out in bullet form

dysprosium
2014-09-05, 03:53 PM

Rather than building blindly, I'd say "build what you'd enjoy playing." It's way more enjoyable than building in a specific way to cater to the judge's criteria.

The PMing of the judges' criteria was an experiment to a) keep each individual judge's criteria anomynous and b) prevent contestants from arguing with judges before anything was revealed. The second thing was something that was occuring in Iron Chef at the time.

Concerning judging criteria: AS A PRE-EMPTIVE MEASURE, I would like to request that judging criteria be first PMed to the chairman (currently Kazudo) for a quick quality check. Once it is deemed worthy, it will be posted anonymously. JUDGING WILL STILL OCCUR AS NORMAL. This is to prevent any bias from individuals wishing to attempt to dispute certain measures of the criteria. It IS ok to say that you're judging, but don't indicate which criteria is yours.

For this round Ponies did not repeat the full second post from Junkyard III - V that I partially quoted so I imagine it isn't a thing (at least for this round).

Anyway I agree with Ponies in that contestants should just build what they like and not cater to any judge. I've seen some criteria posted in the past from two different judges that would have been impossible to impress both of them.

dextercorvia
2014-09-05, 07:29 PM
Wonderworker is one of my favorite weird little classes. I have a few ideas.

Sian
2014-09-07, 08:27 AM
only need to pad my fluff a bit and spellcheck the whole thing and then my dish is done. Hopefully that'll be done either tonight or (more likely) tomorrow afternoon

sideswipe
2014-09-07, 08:34 AM
gah i really want to enter, but so far with one judge i think i will have to judge.... as an exercise could i submit my build after the reveal to the judges informally and allow them to take a look. would the other judges be ok with that (all the other one judge).

WhamBamSam
2014-09-07, 11:03 AM
gah i really want to enter, but so far with one judge i think i will have to judge.... as an exercise could i submit my build after the reveal to the judges informally and allow them to take a look. would the other judges be ok with that (all the other one judge).I actually submitted judging criteria the other day as well. If you've got something you'd really like to enter, go ahead and submit it.

sideswipe
2014-09-07, 11:09 AM
I actually submitted judging criteria the other day as well. If you've got something you'd really like to enter, go ahead and submit it.

i just submitted criteria, but i did say that i may still not judge. if a third judge steps forward i will build.

so please other judge, show. lol but actually i would like to judge, this is just the first junkyard where i have really liked the chosen components.

dysprosium
2014-09-08, 12:11 PM
I'm having real trouble coming up with someting really interesting for this.

Looking for inspiration . . .

WhamBamSam
2014-09-08, 12:13 PM
I'm having real trouble coming up with someting really interesting for this.

Looking for inspiration . . .I see what you did there.

Deadline
2014-09-09, 09:51 AM
I had a tough time working up and entry, but finished it and sent it in yesterday. And now, I've got another idea. Must ... get ... build ... out of my head! :smallwink:

Sian
2014-09-09, 04:10 PM
Build sent ... not entirely satisfied with a few things in it, but I know that i would probably not be able to make them better without sitting and glaring at my screen for hours trying to force the juices to run.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-09, 09:46 PM
Hey folks! With less than a week until our cooking deadline, we've already got 2 entries and 3 sets of judging criteria chilling in my inbox. There's still plenty of time to submit those crazy ideas cooking in your heads! :smallbiggrin:

heavyfuel
2014-09-10, 08:11 AM
Hey folks! With less than a week until our cooking deadline, we've already got 2 entries and 3 sets of judging criteria chilling in my inbox. There's still plenty of time to submit those crazy ideas cooking in your heads! :smallbiggrin:

Oh man. I built my character on the first day but lately have been so busy I totally forgot to format properly and submit.

I'll try to submit it today, but I probably won't manage before the 14th. Just be sure to count me in!

dextercorvia
2014-09-11, 08:49 AM
AAAHHH! My idea has split into two contradictory ideas -- does not compute!

sideswipe
2014-09-12, 07:04 AM
AAAHHH! My idea has split into two contradictory ideas -- does not compute!

you can enter two builds. so you could enter your original build and then change the other idea into its own build.

dextercorvia
2014-09-12, 09:28 AM
you can enter two builds. so you could enter your original build and then change the other idea into its own build.

I did consider that, but they are similar enough that I think I would hurt myself in originality.

KrimsonNekros
2014-09-14, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately inspiration struck too late. I'll post the stub after the contestants are shown if there isn't anything similar.

sideswipe
2014-09-14, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately inspiration struck too late. I'll post the stub after the contestants are shown if there isn't anything similar.

still have 30 hours. you can do it :)

dysprosium
2014-09-15, 08:44 AM
I can't see myself getting to enter this round, unless some muse hits me upside the head.

Good luck to those who did enter.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 02:06 PM
Only a few hours left to enter, and I've only got 2 submissions so far. Any last-minute entries floating out there?

Deadline
2014-09-15, 02:26 PM
Well now, looks like I'll have to rush to get my second entry in. That way I can be sure to tie myself for 4th place. :smallbiggrin:

sakuuya
2014-09-15, 02:50 PM
Only a few hours left to enter, and I've only got 2 submissions so far. Any last-minute entries floating out there?

I was giving my build a final once-over when I noticed a huge problem with my use of the SI(s). So it needs a lot of revision, but I should be able to finish by the deadline.

Macabaret
2014-09-15, 04:05 PM
I just attempted to send in an entry, but instead received the message:

OMG PONIES has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Which may be why there are only two entries.....

Deadline
2014-09-15, 04:10 PM
Indeed, PONIES, clear your inbox so I can send you moar stuff! :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2014-09-15, 05:18 PM
I was hopeful this time around, but once again I get to the end with a level outline, and feats laid out, but I'm at a loss for how to present this sucker. My applause to anyone who completes a build. I'll share my outline after the reveal if it isn't too similar to a real entry.

heavyfuel
2014-09-15, 06:14 PM
Yo OMG PONIES! I can't send you my build cuz your inbox is full!

I'm gonna wait until 23:55 GMT or post my build here. It's not as if anyone will be able to copy it with only 4 minutes left.

dysprosium
2014-09-15, 06:20 PM
Yo OMG PONIES! I can't send you my build cuz your inbox is full!

I'm gonna wait until 23:55 GMT or post my build here. It's not as if anyone will be able to copy it with only 4 minutes left.

I would advise against posting your build in thread.

Let Ponies get himself together and he'll get the entries posted.

Deadline
2014-09-15, 06:24 PM
If PONIES doesn't clear out his inbox soon, I'm going to miss the deadline with my second submission because I'm going to be away from my PC for the several hours.

Would someone who isn't entering be interested in monitoring this thread and sending my build to PONIES when he gets back online? :smalltongue:

sakuuya
2014-09-15, 06:31 PM
Add me to the pile of folks with a build ready to go as soon as Ponies clears some space in his inbox.

Deadline
2014-09-15, 06:53 PM
Well, I sent an email to the chairman via the forums with my entry, hopefully that will have to do. My connectivity is going to be spotty at best for the next several hours. Good luck all!

heavyfuel
2014-09-15, 07:19 PM
Well, I sent an email to the chairman via the forums with my entry, hopefully that will have to do. My connectivity is going to be spotty at best for the next several hours. Good luck all!

Good idea. I did just that!

Hopefully the chairman will allow this form of submission. If I'm still around by the time he cleans his Inbox I'll submit there also

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 07:31 PM
Sorry friends, my inbox was full without me knowing it--put away your pitchforks :smalltongue: as I just now got the email notifications that my box was crammed. I got 2 more submissions via e-mail, but I also got a handful of "Person X tried to PM you" notifications, so I'll be PMing folks to make sure I've got all submissions before I post any of them. Sorry about that!

Macabaret
2014-09-15, 07:32 PM

Darn fine idea!
I was about to follow suit, but my PM made it through!

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 08:42 PM
Just waiting on responses from two more submitters to make sure I've got them all.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:05 PM
And the responses are in! Please refrain from posting until I've gotten all entries and judge's criteria posted.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:07 PM
"Hear ye the word of the *hic*."

Brewmaster Barleybeard
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/images/toast.png

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteous beer
For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the drinkers
For they shall taste of glory.
Blessed are the pure in malt and hops
For they shall see good Beer.
Worry not for the troubles of tomorrow
For where your Beer is
There your spirits will be also.

Background
Barleybeard has always been fascinated with the creation and consumption of alcohol in its many forms. It's only natural that he would find himself in the priesthood of Hanseath when he was old enough. But unlike his fellows who embraced all of Hanseath's ideals together, Barleybeard set one ideal above all. "Beer is proof that Hanseath loves us and wants us to be happy," he'd often say, and while his contemporaries studied swordplay and battle, Barleybeard studied fermentation and distillation. It was soon obvious to all who knew him that Barleybeard was an artist with a rare gift for creating magnificent alcohols. He traveled far and wide and even did some plane-hopping to learn secrets from famous brewers of many races, including the wild and wily eladrin. He learned to concoct magical brews that could heal the sick, regrow lost limbs, and even grant miracles. When he returned to his homeland, he set up a fine drinking establishment that doubles as a temple to Hanseath. He holds sermons there every day, just after happy hour.

Despite Hanseath's taste for war, Brewmaster Barleybeard has sworn to never take a life. For if he did that, how then could they taste of Hanseath's glory? He spends his time in quiet prayer and dedication whilst brewing up his luscious lagers at his bar. When he speaks, any dwarf worth his beard listens, for Barleybeard's Brews are the best tasting, most potent, and most pleasing drinks in the known world.

Build
Brewmaster Barleybeard
CG Dwarf Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 7/Master Alchemist 10/Wonderworker 3

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 1
+0
+2
+0
+2
Concentration 4, Craft(Alchemy) 4, Knowledge(Arcana) 4, Knowledge(Nature) 4, Knowledge(Religion) 4, Profession(Brewer) 4, Spellcraft 4, Survival 4
Strength Devotion (swapped Strength domain for it), Skill Focus(Craft[Alchemy])
Lore, Turn Undead, Spellcasting, Knowledge Domain, Travel Domain, Strength Domain (swapped for Strength Devotion feat)

2nd
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 2
+1
+3
+0
+3
Concentration 5, Craft(Alchemy) 5, Knowledge(Arcana) 5, Knowledge(Nature) 5, Knowledge(Religion) 5, Profession(Brewer) 5, Spellcraft 5, Survival 5

3rd
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 3
+1
+3
+1
+3
Concentration 6, Craft(Alchemy) 6, Knowledge(Arcana) 6, Knowledge(Nature) 6, Knowledge(Religion) 6, Profession(Brewer) 6, Spellcraft 6, Survival 6
Brew Potion

4th
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 4
+2
+4
+1
+4
Concentration 7, Craft(Alchemy) 7, Knowledge(Arcana) 7, Knowledge(Nature) 7, Knowledge(Religion) 7, Profession(Brewer) 7, Spellcraft 7, Survival 7

5th
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 5
+2
+4
+1
+4
Concentration 8, Craft(Alchemy) 8, Knowledge(Arcana) 8, Knowledge(Nature) 8, Knowledge(Religion) 8, Profession(Brewer) 8, Spellcraft 8, Survival 8

6th
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 6
+3
+5
+2
+5
Concentration 9, Craft(Alchemy) 9, Knowledge(Arcana) 9, Knowledge(Nature) 9, Knowledge(Religion) 9, Profession(Brewer) 9, Spellcraft 9, Survival 9
Magical Artisan(Brew Potion)

7th
Cloistered Cleric of Hanseath 7
+3
+5
+2
+5
Concentration 10, Craft(Alchemy) 10, Knowledge(Arcana) 10, Knowledge(Nature) 10, Knowledge(Religion) 10, Profession(Brewer) 10, Spellcraft 10, Survival 10

8th
Master Alchemist 1
+3
+5
+2
+7
Craft(Alchemy) 11, Knowledge(Arcana) 11, Profession(Brewer) 11, Spellcraft 11

Brew 2/day, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th
Master Alchemist 2
+4
+5
+2
+8
Craft(Alchemy) 12, Knowledge(Arcana) 12, Profession(Brewer) 12, Spellcraft 12
Consecrate Spell
Brew Potion (4th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th
Master Alchemist 3
+4
+6
+3
+8
Craft(Alchemy) 13, Knowledge(Arcana) 13, Profession(Brewer) 13, Spellcraft 13

Brew Potion (5th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

11th
Master Alchemist 4
+5
+6
+3
+9
Craft(Alchemy) 14, Knowledge(Arcana) 14, Profession(Brewer) 14, Spellcraft 14

Brew Potion (6th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

12th
Master Alchemist 5
+5
+6
+3
+9
Craft(Alchemy) 15, Knowledge(Arcana) 15, Profession(Brewer) 15, Spellcraft 15
Knight of Stars
Brew 3/day, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

13th
Master Alchemist 6
+6
+7
+4
+10
Craft(Alchemy) 16, Knowledge(Arcana) 16, Profession(Brewer) 16, Spellcraft 16

Improved Identification, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

14th
Master Alchemist 7
+6
+7
+4
+10
Craft(Alchemy) 17, Knowledge(Arcana) 17, Profession(Brewer) 17, Spellcraft 17

Brew Potion (7th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

15th
Master Alchemist 8
+7
+7
+4
+11
Craft(Alchemy) 18, Knowledge(Arcana) 18, Profession(Brewer) 18, Spellcraft 18
Intuitive Attack
Brew Potion (8th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

16th
Master Alchemist 9
+7
+8
+5
+11
Craft(Alchemy) 19, Knowledge(Arcana) 19, Profession(Brewer) 19, Spellcraft 19

Brew 4/day, +1 level of existing spellcasting class

17th
Master Alchemist 10
+8
+8
+5
+12
Craft(Alchemy) 20, Knowledge(Arcana) 20, Profession(Brewer) 20, Spellcraft 20

Brew Potion (9th), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

18th
Wonderworker 1
+8
+8
+5
+14
Craft(Alchemy) 21, Knowledge(Religion) 11, Profession(Brewer) 21, Spellcraft 21
Nonlethal Substitution, Sacred Vow(B)
Bonus Exalted Feat, 1 Bonus 9th level Spell per day, 1 Bonus 8th level Spell per day

19th
Wonderworker 2
+9
+8
+5
+15
Craft(Alchemy) 22, Knowledge(Religion) 12, Profession(Brewer) 22, Spellcraft 22
Vow of Nonviolence(B)
Bonus Exalted Feat, 1 Bonus 9th level Spell per day, 2 Bonus 8th level Spells per day

20th
Wonderworker 3
+9
+9
+6
+15
Craft(Alchemy) 23, Knowledge(Religion) 13, Profession(Brewer) 23, Spellcraft 23
Vow of Peace(B)
Bonus Exalted Feat, 1 Bonus 9th level Spell per day, 1 Bonus 8th level Spell per day

Ability Scores

Starting Ability Scores (including racial adjustments):
Str - 10
Dex - 12
Con - 16
Int - 14
Wis - 16
Cha - 10

Final Ability Scores:
Str - 10
Dex - 12
Con - 16
Int - 14
Wis - 21 (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th)
Cha - 10

Spells known, spells/day
Spells/day
Spells per Day/Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-
-

8th
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-
-

9th
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-
-

10th
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-
-

11th
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-
-

12th
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-
-

13th
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-
-

14th
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-
-

15th
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1
-

16th
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1
-

17th
5+1
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1

18th
5+1
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
3+1
2+1

19th
5+1
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
5+1
3+1

20th
5+1
5+1
5+1
5+1
4+1
4+1
3+1
6+1
4+1

Level Highlights

Level 10

At this level, Brewmaster Barleybeard is a creator of fine alcohol, artisanal beers, and magical microbrews. In addition to his normal potent potables, he can brew up any number of potions (containing up to 5th level spells) as various alcoholic beverages (using the Alternate Item Types rule on pg. 137 of Complete Arcane). Not only that, but thanks to Consecrate Spell, all of his magical mixers are [Good], in addition to being good for you. Step right up and drown your sorrows and regrets in a rare pale ale of Atonement! Or get back into fighting form with a Restoration Rye. Be able to see things no one else can see with a Tincture of True Seeing!

If you are wondering why he took the Strength Devotion feat in place of the Strength domain, it's so he can crack open a keg with his bare hands should the need arise (the feat makes his melee attacks ignore hardness and gives him a slam attack that counts as adamantine for DR purposes all for 1 minute). It also gives him a solid attack he can use in a bar fight.

Level 20

Barleybeard has continued to develop is devotion to the many flavors of alcohol. Thanks to insight provided by the wisdom of Hanseath, Barleybeard is now a reasonable combatant in melee or at range, with Intuitive Attack. He can distill nearly any magic into an alcoholic beverage, and can brew up to four of those wondrous concoctions per day. And he is known far and wide as a wonderworker of Hanseath's divine governance of the power of beer. His devotion to the tranquility of the tavern has led him down the path of nonviolence. That isn't to say he won't knock some heads around in one of the many barfights that happen in his establishments and toss the perpetrators out on their ears, but he has devoted himself fully to the ideal of "peace on Oerth, and good beer for all."

Thoughts on the Components
This is certainly a strange combination of ingredients. Wonderworker is strange by itself, but the Profession Skill? There are remarkably few uses for that skill to begin with, and far fewer opportunities for optimization. So I decided to go a different direction and build something that, at least to me, fits with the feel and spirit of the competition. When I spotted "brewer" in the list of professions in the PHB, I knew what I had to do.

Barleybeard is a full divine caster who can share almost any of his spells around to his party in the form of potions which he can brew faster and more cheaply thanks to Master Alchemist and Magical Artisan. His spellcasting is keyed off of Wisdom, which also happens to be the linked attribute for the Profession skill, so by increasing his wisdom, he enhances both his spellcasting, and his profession.

Sources

Player's Handbook(Cleric, Brew Potion, Skill Focus)
Unearthed Arcana(Cloistered Cleric)
Book of Exalted Deeds(Wonderworker, Intuitive Attack, Consecrate Spell, Knight of Stars, Nonlethal Substitution, Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace)
Magic of Faerun(Master Alchemist, Magical Artisan)
Complete Arcane(Alternate Item Types - pg. 137)
Complete Champion(Strength Devotion)

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:11 PM
"When I say 'High Chantress,' y'all say 'Belina!' "

High Chantress Belina

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/120/c/a/dmnr___rune_singer_by_grantwilson-d63o7e7.png
shamelessly borrowed from Grant Wilson at Deviantart (http://grantwilson.deviantart.com/)

Even as a youth Belina was viewed as one of the most talented in the clanhold. As a young dwarfling she enjoyed wandering around in the neighboring large grotto singing so the unrefined music in her mind resonated off the Sussur trees and semi-domisticated Zurkhwood Mushrooms that the Clanhold was carefully foresting for lumber to build with. and she was noticed by a passing Gloura that almost got enchanted by the raw beauty of music that a dwarf was able to produce, and the Gloura introduced himself for the young dwarfling inviting her to learn the true beauty of music and trained her in the holy songs of nature before moving on in his eternal journey through the Underdark.

As her Militia time started it was quickly discovered that she had a natural presence whenever it was needed and it was quickly decided that even through she was at best mediocre at weapon drills , she had the makings of being a very strong commander, both on the battlefield and off it, and was quickly promoted to the capital, to the Hall of Chanters, where she was trained for such a career, proving herself a valuable Chanter for her clans Mining Crews that she was first seconded to and later appointed for leadership of, when she wasn't busy marching the unit the Clan was obliged to support the Kingdom with, to where ever they were needed.

Female Middle Aged NG Dream Dwarf Divine Bard 3 / Marshal 2 / Dwarven Chanter 10 / Seeker of the Song 2 / Wonderworker 3

Ability
Base
Racial

Strength

[/td]

Dexterity
[/td]

Constitution
+2
[/td]

Intelligence

+1
[/td]

Wisdom

+1
[/td]

Charisma

+1
[/td]

Ability Increases in Constitution at 4th, Intelligence at 8th, Wisdom at 12th, Charisma at 16th and 20th.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Divine Bard 1
+0
+0
+2
+2
Appraise 4, Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Perform (Dance) 4, Perform (Percussion) 4, Perform (Sing) 4, Spellcraft 4, Use Magic Device 4
Nymph's Kiss
Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Spellbreaker Song, Healing Hymn, Inspire Awe

2nd
Marshal 1
+0
+2
+2
+4
Profession (Miner) 5, Spot 2
Skill Focus (Diplomacy)B
Minor Aura (Demand Fortitude)

3rd
Marshal 2
+1
+3
+2
+5
Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Spot 4
Great Fortitude
Major Aura (Motivate Urgency)

4th
Divine Bard 2
+2
+3
+3
+6
Concentration 6, Perform (Dance) 5, Preform (Precussion) 7, Perform (Sing) 7

5th
Divine Bard 3
+3
+4
+3
+6
Concentration 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Perform (Dance) 6, Perform (Percussion) 8, Perform (Sing) 8, Profession (Miner) 6

Hymn of Fortification

6th
Dwarven Chanter 1
+3
+6
+3
+8
Appraise 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 9, Perform (Dance) 8, Perform (Sing) 9, Profession (Miner) 9
Melodic Casting
Bardic Music, Timing Chant

7th
Dwarven Chanter 2
+4
+7
+3
+9
Appraise 9, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Perform (Sing) 10, Profession (Miner) 10, Use Magic Device 7
EnduranceB
Soothing Chant

8th
Dwarven Chanter 3
+5
+7
+4
+9
Appraise 11, Knowledge (Arcana) 11, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5, Perform (Sing) 11, Profession (Miner) 11, Use Magic Device 11

War Chant

9th
Dwarven Chant 4
+6
+8
+4
+10
Appraise 12, Knowledge (Arcana) 12, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 10, Perform (Sing) 12, Profession (Miner) 12, Use Magic Device 12
Skill Focus (Perform [Sing])
Counter Chant

10th
Dwarven Chant 5
+6
+8
+4
+10
Appraise 13, Diplomacy 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 13, Perform (Sing) 13, Profession (Miner) 13, Use Magic Device 13

Continuous spellcasting

11th
Seeker of the Song 1
+6
+8
+4
+12
Diplomacy 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 14, Perform (Sing) 14, Profession (Miner) 14, Spot 7

Rapture of the Song (+2AC), Bardic Music, Burning Melody, Burning Melody Refrain

12th
Seeker of the Song 2
+7
+8
+4
+13
Diplomacy 10, Knowledge (Arcana) 15, Perform (Sing) 15, Profession (Miner) 15, Spot 10
Snowflake Wardance
Combine Songs, Song of Unmaking

13th
Dwarven Chanter 6
+8
+9
+5
+14
Appraise 16, Knowledge (Arcana) 16, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 15, Perform (Sing) 16, Profession (Miner) 16, Use Magic Device 16
Die HardB

14th
Dwarven Chanter 7
+9
+9
+5
+14
Appraise 17, Diplomacy 12, Knowledge (Arcana) 17, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 17, Perform (Sing) 17, Profession (Miner) 17, Use Magic Device 17

Trance

15th
Dwarven Chanter 8
+10
+10
+5
+15
Appraise 18, Diplomacy 16, Knowledge (Arcana) 18, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 18, Perform (Sing) 18, Profession (Miner) 18, Use Magic Device 18
Knight of Stars
Healing Chant

16th
Dwarven Chanter 9
+10
+10
+6
+15
Appraise 19, Diplomacy 19, Knowledge (Arcana) 19, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 19, Perform (Sing) 19, Profession (Miner) 19, Use Magic Device 19, Spellcraft 5

17th
Dwarven Chanter 10
+11
+11
+6
+16
Appraise 20, Diplomacy 20, Knowledge (Arcana) 20, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 20, Perform (Sing) 20, Profession (Miner) 20, Use Magice Device 20 Spellcraft 8

Dwarf Lord's Wrath

18th
Wonderworker 1
+11
+11
+6
+18
Diplomacy 21, Knowledge (Arcana) 21, Profession (Miner) 21, Spellcraft 13
Lyric Spell, Words of CreationB

19th
Wonderworker 2
+12
+11
+6
+19
Diplomacy 22, Knowledge (Arcana) 22, Profession (Miner) 22, Spellcraft 18
Gift of FaithB

20th
Wonderworker 3
+12
+12
+7
+19
Diplomacy 23, Knowledge (Arcana) 23, Profession (Miner) 23, Spellcraft 23
Nimbus of LightB

Skill Ranks at Level 20:
Appraise 20, Concentration 8, Diplomacy 23, Knowledge (Arcana) 23, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 23, Perform (Dance) 8, Perform (Percussion) 8, Perform (Sing) 20, Profession (Miner) 23, Spot 10, Spellcraft 23, Use Magic Device 20.

Spells per Day
Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-

14th
-
-

15th
-
-

16th
-
-

17th
-

18th
-

19th
-

20th
-

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-

14th
-
-

15th
-
-

16th
-
-

17th
-

18th
-

19th
-

20th
-

Spells Known (writen in order of taking)
0th level: Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Summon Instrument, Mending, Message
1st level: Grease, Improvisation(SpC), Distort Speech(SpC), Expeditious Retreat
2nd level: Glitterdust, Tongues, Tactical Precision(SpC), Elation (BoED)
3rd level: Haste, Treasure Scent(SpC), Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Evil,
4th level: Shadow Conjuration, Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement. Break Enchantment
5th level: Song of Discord, Mass Suggestion

Belina is a Divine Bard / Marshal, which at least at this point is an acceptable combatant not accounting for a less than brilliant physical stats, but her main ability at this point would be to use her Inspire Awe and Hymn of Fortification to frighten opponents and buff allies with, while having decently strong saves (specially Fortitude which is somewhat shared with allies) and speeding her fellow dwarves ever so slightly up so they have speed 25ft instead of 20ft.

Now we start Talking, 5 Levels of Dwarven Chanter with all this brings. For the purposes of the Competition, i'll pay special attention to Timing Chant which gives 2*Class Level to any (specific, chosen at the time of beginning to chant) Check pretaining to tedious work, with the example of Mining Song which would at this point give a +10 untyped Bonus to Profession (Miner) Checks to everyone within hearing (including myself), as long as I can succed in Perform DC 10 + Hours and everyone wanting to join up being able succed in Fort DC 5 + Hours each hour of work, helped by adding Belina's Charisma Modifier to everyone's Fortitude save. Equally this Chant could be moved with any other tedious work such as forced march or Craft Checks (although in the later case my character would only be able to lean on this bonus to make untrained checks).

Also get a number of other protentially interesting chants such as War Chant (effectively Inspire Courage with a Debuffing rider giving all opponents a -1 Morale penalty on Attack and Damage Rolls) and Melodic Casting (which superseeds Countinous Spellcasting gained at level 10) which replaces all most of my Concentration Checks with Perform Checks. and Counter Chant which is a superior Countersong which suppresses magical effects (as if Dispel Magic was used) as long as Belina keeps singing.

A very fluffy Spell that i feel i have to point out would be Treasure Scent (gained at 9th Level) which should help with Profession (Miner) checks by getting a better idea where to mine towards, even if it doesn't say so.

Two levels of Seeker of the Song gives me an ability to Combine 2 songs of any of the many chants and the like which i have now (most popular would probably be a merge of Inspire Awe and War Chant. Otherwise we continue on with Dwarven Chanter, for two reasons, We want access to 5th level spells, which is available at CL 13, which Seeker of the Song doesn't advance, and we want Timing Chant to become even stronger.

For combat purposes we also gain Snowflake Wardance, which would be a quite decent for 8 rounds per Bardic Music, 8 rounds being enough time for many (if not most) combats to be decided

Furthermore we get the quite competent Healing Chant as well doing this period, which for a Bardic Music can heal ourselves up to max from whereever we were, via Fast Healing 1. Not of much use while in Combat, but it certainly cuts down on the needed healing afterwards with whatever Wands of Cure * that Belina is going to walk around with. And the somewhat more situational Trance which could be used for all sorts of interesting things.

Last two levels of Chanter (yey for +20 untyped Bonus to Profession (Miner) or whatever tickles my fancy, to all allies within hearing distance), which gives the Awesome (but somewhat Impractical) Siege engine mode with Dwarf Lord's Wrath, dealing 10d6 Damage per round to one Natural or Constructed structure within 500ft.
And then its off to see the Giraffe with Wonderworker, gaining a a total of 4 4th level and 3 5th level spell slots each day (due to me being Divine Bard, otherwise it would only have been 1 4th and 3 5th), while at the same time gaining Access to a couple of handy feats (although decent Exalted Feats for bards (especially divine bards) aren't exactly something Book of Exlated Deeds are overflowing with), such as Words of Creation (although it should probably be modified to also help my ACF Bardic Songs to be truely brilliant, such as giving +2DC for Inspire Awe, but still it does give +4 Sacred bonus for perform checks at keeping Timing Chant up.

Dwarven Chanter asks for Perform (Chant) 8, but as Chant, in Players Handbook is listed under subcategories of Sing, i've picked this instead, it doesn't have any mechanical differences but IMHO its neater to take the primary (and well known) category, than specificly taking the subcategory, which is argubly against RAW of PHB which is the Primary Source. If this is an issue there is practicly no difference with copy&paste Sing to Chant.

Another build option that i had for the longest time (until last spellcheck and writing these design notes), was Paladin (of Freedom) instead of Marshal and CG instead of NG.

Age category are a decent minor boost, that over time gives decent bonuses in my important stats at the cost of a ability score in Constitution early on for qualification purposes (but in turn gaining +1 in Int, Wis and Charisma which is all utilized to a certain extent), but it aren't critically importent from a mechanical standpoint before level 8 where it helps pushing Int to 16 for extra Skill points.

Book of Exalted Deeds - Word of Creation, Elation, Gift of Faith, Knight of Stars, Nimbus of Light, Nymph's Kiss, Wonderworker
Complete Arcane - Seeker of The Song
Complete Champion - Healing Hymn, Hymn of Fortification
Complete Mage - Melodic Casting, Spellbreaker Song
Dragon Magic - Inspire Awe
Forgotten Realms: Underdark - Fluffy bits
Frostburn - Snowflake Wardance
Miniature Handbook - Marshal
Spell Compendium - Certain Spells
Unearthed Arcana - Divine Bard ACF
Wizards.com - Dwarven Chanter (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061128a)

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:15 PM
If the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree, where does the seed fall?

Horatio Figbottom
NG Halfling Adept 8/Wonderworker 2/Exemplar 10
http://www.appleappetite.com/Johnny_Appleseed_1972_post_card.jpg

Fluff

Well way down south near Honey Hollow way,
there lived a young lad who got along with the fae. - local folksong.

Horatio Figbottom has always been a sunny and cheerful chap. Born in the warm valley of Honey Hollow, some say he's led a charmed life. He's always had an affinity for the power of nature, and showed quite the aptitude for farming. He even managed to make peace between the fae of the nearby woods and his people, and a particular fey lass caught Horatio's eye. Romance blossomed between the two, but in order to get permission to marry, the local fey lord tasked Horatio with completing some mighty deed. Given his fey sweetheart's affinity for the figs that grew in the area, Horatio knew just what to do.

And so, armed only with his seedpouch, a happy tune, and the clothes on his back, Horatio set off to spread the joy of Honey Hollow's bountiful fig trees to the entire world. He devoted his life to peace and productivity as he traveled far and wide planting trees, teaching the locals how to farm them, settling disputes, and then setting off again eager to complete his work and return to his beautiful fiancee.

There goes that funny little fig-man just a plantin' his trees,
I hear he done fell in with them thar sidhe. - local folksong.

Build Table
Horatio Figbottom

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Adept 1
+0
+0
+0
+2
(3+Int) Diplomacy (2), Handle Animal 4, Profession(Farmer) 4, Survival 4
Nymph's Kiss
Spellcasting

2nd
Adept 2
+1
+0
+0
+3
(3+Int) Diplomacy (2.5), Handle Animal 5, Profession(Farmer) 5, Survival 5

Summon Familiar

3rd
Adept 3
+1
+1
+1
+3
(3+Int) Diplomacy (3), Handle Animal 6, Profession(Farmer) 6, Survival 6
Favored of the Companions

4th
Adept 4
+2
+1
+1
+4
(3+Int) Diplomacy (3.5), Handle Animal 7, Profession(Farmer) 7, Survival 7

5th
Adept 5
+2
+1
+1
+4
(3+Int) Diplomacy (4), Handle Animal 8, Profession(Farmer) 8, Survival 8

6th
Adept 6
+3
+2
+2
+5
(3+Int) Diplomacy (4.5), Handle Animal 9, Profession(Farmer) 9, Survival 9
Skill Focus(Profession(Farmer))

7th
Adept 7
+3
+2
+2
+5
(3+Int) Diplomacy (5), Handle Animal 10, Profession(Farmer) 10, Survival 10

8th
Adept 8
+4
+2
+2
+6
(3+Int) Handle Animal 11, Heal 1, Profession(Farmer) 11, Survival 11

9th
Wonderworker 1
+4
+2
+2
+8
(3+Int) Diplomacy 6, Handle Animal 12, Profession(Farmer) 12, Survival 12
Gift of Faith, Intuitive AttackB
Bonus Exalted Feat, 1 bonus 3rd level spell, 1 bonus 2nd level spell

10th
Wonderworker 2
+5
+2
+2
+9
(3+Int) Diplomacy 7, Handle Animal 13, Profession(Farmer) 13, Survival 13
Nimbus of LightB
Bonus Exalted Feat, 1 bonus 3rd level spell, 2 bonus 2nd level spells

11th
Exemplar 1
+5
+2
+2
+11
(9+Int) Diplomacy 8, Handle Animal 14, Heal 7, Profession(Farmer) 14, Survival 14

Skill artistry(Profession(Farmer)), skill mastery(Profession(Farmer), Handle Animal)

12th
Exemplar 2
+6
+2
+2
+12
(9+Int) Diplomacy 9, Handle Animal 15, Heal 13, Profession(Farmer) 15, Survival 15
Yondalla's Sense
Lend talent (one-half penalty)

13th
Exemplar 3
+7
+3
+3
+12
(9+Int) Diplomacy 13, Handle Animal 16, Heal 16, Profession(Farmer) 16, Survival 16
Skill Focus(Survival)B
Bonus Feat

14th
Exemplar 4
+8
+3
+3
+13
(9+Int) Concentration 2, Diplomacy 15, Handle Animal 17, Heal 17, Knowledge(Nature) 2, Profession(Farmer) 17, Survival 17

Skill artistry(Handle Animal), sustaining presence

15th
Exemplar 5
+8
+3
+3
+13
(9+Int) Concentration 3, Handle Animal 18, Heal 18, Knowledge(Nature) 5, Profession(Farmer) 18, Spellcraft 2, Survival 18
Dallah Thaun's Luck
Persuasive performance

16th
Exemplar 6
+9
+4
+4
+14
(9+Int) Concentration 5, Handle Animal 19, Heal 19, Knowledge(Nature) 6, Profession(Farmer) 19, Spellcraft 5, Survival 19
Skill Focus(Handle Animal)B
Bonus Feat

17th
Exemplar 7
+10
+4
+4
+14
(9+Int) Handle Animal 20, Heal 20, Knowledge(Nature) 12, Profession(Farmer) 20, Survival 20

Skill artistry(Heal)

18th
Exemplar 8
+11
+4
+4
+15
(9+Int) Handle Animal 21, Heal 21, Knowledge(Nature) 17, Knowledge(Geography) 1, Profession(Farmer) 21, Survival 21
Magic of the Land
Intellectual agility, lend talent (equal penalty)

19th
Exemplar 9
+11
+5
+5
+15
(9+Int) Handle Animal 22, Heal 22, Knowledge(Nature) 18, Knowledge(Geography) 6, Profession(Farmer) 22, Survival 22
Skill Focus(Heal)B
Bonus Feat

20th
Exemplar 10
+12
+5
+5
+16
(9+Int) Handle Animal 23, Heal 23, Knowledge(Nature) 20, Knowledge(Geography) 10, Profession(Farmer) 23, Survival 23

Perfect self, skill artistry(Survival)

Ability Scores
Str - 10 (-2 from race)
Dex - 16 (+2 from race)
Con - 14
Int - 12
Wis - 19 (+5 from levels)
Cha - 14

Spells/day
Spells/day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-
-
-

Level Highlight

Level 20

Horatio is a living, breathing, avatar of the land. Where he goes fig orchards spring up. He can take even the poorest, most unskilled laborers and turn them into expert farmers. Through his example, the people of the lands he visits find peace and better living through farming. He has a gentle touch with animals, and a special tie with the land. Horatio's Adept levels give him a tie to nature that isn't so strict as to be druidic, but neither is it so religious as to be clerical. His entry into Wonderworker is both useful (for the few Exalted feats that benefit him), and necessary for him to qualify for Exemplar (Wonderworker grants Diplomacy as a class skill). From that point on, Exemplar simply makes him amazing at what he is already good at: Farming, Animal Tending, Healing, and Survival. The bonus feats it grants further enhance his chosen skills, and at the end, he becomes an outsider, which will let him live long enough to complete the monumental undertaking he has put
before himself. It may take centuries, but Horation Figbottom will cover the world in Fig trees for his sweetheart.

Sources

Dungeon Master's Guide - Adept class
Player's Handbook - Skill Focus
Complete Adventurer - Exemplar
Book of Exalted Deeds - Wonderworker, Nymph's Kiss, Favored of the Companions, Gift of Faith, Intuitive Attack, Nimbus of Light
Races of the Wild - Dallah Thaun's Luck, Magic of the Land, Yondalla's Sense

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:17 PM
He can be your bodyguard, but the big question is...can you call him Al?

Bael-Ver (The Guardian of Peace)

"We do not fight against those who would bring us war. Ours is to fight against the reasons that they do." Sshalak-da, Silver Scion of Io

Lawful Good
Raptoran Savant 2/Duskblade 3/(Dragonborn: mind)/Fighter 1/Devoted Defender 1/Apostle of Peace 3/Singer of Concordance 6/Apostle of Peace +1/Wonderworker 3

Bael-Ver lived in a fairly peaceful realm of raptorans. Life was quiet on the sleepy mountainside. But all was not well in the lands beyond. The elves of the forests below and the orcs of the mountains above warred constantly. It wasn't long before the pain and destruction of the war invaded the calm peacefulness of the raptoran villiage.

Raptorans were enslaved by orcs. Others were killed, chalked up as 'collateral damage' by elves. Their entire villiage destroyed. And still the war raged on.

The raptorans, filled with a need for vengence in the wake of their destroyed village, joined the fray. Humans sold their services to both sides of the war. Dwarves entered the battles, sometimes fighting against the orcs for Good, other times fighting with them for the Mountain.

Bael-Ver ran. He hid. He led others to relative safety, wherever he could find it. But try as he might, one by one, those near him fell victim to the violence. And still, the war raged on.

Eventually, the war reached such levels of violence that it disturbed the slumbers of a nearby silver dragon. The great wyrm sought to find a peaceful end to the violence. He looked over the realm, studied the war, looking for a way to begin negotiations.

And so the great dragon found Bael-Ver, the one man in all the realm seeking to build a shelter for all who sought refuge. The drake took the raptoran under his wing, guided him to the ways of Io, rebuilt him into the ways of the peaceful mind of dragonkind.

As peace-eager factions grew, here and there, amid the warring regions, they threatened the profits of those who benefited most from the wars. Assassinations were attempted, many succeeding, upon the leaders of the peace-minded. And with each successful attempt, the darkness of the war grew deeper.

And so... Bael-Ver returns to the realm, a bastion against the storm of war, with the mission of keeping safe those who seek peace, and seeing them each escorted, unharmed, to the negotiation tables, where someday they may build peace.

Stat
Starting Score
4th Level
5th Level
7th Level
8th Level
11th Level
12th Level
15th Level
16th Level
19th Level
20th Level

Strength
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)
-- (8)

Constitution
-- (16)
+2 (18)
-- (18)
-- (18)
+2 (20)
-- (20)
+2 (22)
-- (22)
+2 (24)
-- (24)

Dexterity
-- (8)
-2 (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)
-- (6)

Intelligence
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
+2 (16)
-- (16)
+2 (18)
-- (18)

Wisdom
+1 (17)
-- (17)
+2 (19)
+1 (20)
+2 (22)
+1 (23)
+2 (25)
-- (25)
+2 (27)
+1 (28)

Charisma
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
-- (14)
+1 (15)
+2 (17)
-- (17)

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Savant 1
+0
+0
+0
+2
Concentration 4(4); Diplomacy 4(4); Disable Device 1(1); Listen 4(4); Profession (Bodyguard) 4(4); Search 4(4); Sense Motive 4(4); Spellcraft 3(3); Spot 4(4)
1st: Sacred Vow
Academic Lore; Skill Assistance (Listen); Trapfinding

2nd
Savant 2
+1
+0
+0
+3
Concentration 1(5); Diplomacy 1(5); Disable Device (1); Listen 1(5); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(5); Search 1(5); Sense Motive 1(5); Spellcraft 1(4); Spot 1(5)
B: Alertness
--

3rd
Duskblade 1
+2
+2
+0
+5
Concentration 1(6); Diplomacy (5); Disable Device (1); Listen 2(6); Profession (Bodyguard) (5); Search (5); Sense Motive 1(6); Spellcraft (4); Spot (5)
3rd: Vow of Poverty
Arcane Attunement; Armored Mage (light)

4th
Duskblade 2
+3
+3
+0
+6
Concentration 1(7); Diplomacy (5); Disable Device (1); Listen 2(7); Profession (Bodyguard) (5); Search (5); Sense Motive 1(7); Spellcraft (4); Spot (5)
B: Combat Casting; BEF: Vow of Non-violence
--

5th
Duskblade 3
+4
+3
+1
+6
Concentration 1(8); Diplomacy (5); Disable Device (1); Listen 2(8); Profession (Bodyguard) (5); Search (5); Sense Motive 1(8); Spellcraft (4); Spot (5)
--
Arcane Channeling

6th
(RSL) Fighter 1
+5
+5
+1
+6
Concentration 2(9); Diplomacy 2(6); Disable Device (1); Listen (8); Profession (Bodyguard) (5); Search (5); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot (5)
6th: Draconic Aura (Senses); BEF: Vow of Peace; B: Weapon Focus(Aspergillum, heavy)
Encumbered Flight

7th
Devoted Defender 1
+6/1
+7
+3
+6
Concentration 2(10); Diplomacy (6); Disable Device (1); Listen (8); Profession (Bodyguard) (5); Search (5); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot 2(7)
--
Harm's Way; AC Bonus +1

8th
Apostle of Peace 1
+6/1
+9
+5
+8
Concentration 1(11); Diplomacy (6); Disable Device (1); Listen 3(11); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(6); Search 1(6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot 1(8)
BEF: Nymph's Kiss
Turn Undead

9th
Apostle of Peace 2
+7/2
+10
+6
+9
Concentration 1(12); Diplomacy (6); Disable Device (1); K: Religion 3(3); Listen 1(12); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(7); Search (6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot 1(9)
9th: Improved Initiative
Pacifying Touch

10th
Apostle of Peace 3
+7/2
+10
+6
+9
Concentration (12); Diplomacy (6); Disable Device (1); K: Religion 5(8); Listen 1(13); Profession (Bodyguard) (7); Search (6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot 1(10)
BEF: Vow of Abstinence
--

11th
Singer of Concordance 1
+7/2
+10
+8
+11
Concentration 2(14); Diplomacy (6); Disable Device (1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 5(12); Search (6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
--
Aspect of Peace

12th
Singer of Concordance 2
+8/3
+10
+9
+12
Concentration 1(15); Diplomacy 3(9); Disable Device (1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 3(15); Search (6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
12th: Keen-Eared Scout; BEF: Vow of Purity
Bonus Domain: (Knowledge)

13th
Singer of Concordance 3
+8/3
+11
+9
+12
Concentration 1(16); Diplomacy 5(14); Disable Device (1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(16); Search (6); Sense Motive (8); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
--
Aspect of Refuge

14th
Singer of Concordance 4
+9/4
+11
+10
+13
Concentration 1(17); Diplomacy 3(17); Disable Device (1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(17); Search (6); Sense Motive 2(10); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
BEF: Defender of the Homeland
--

15th
Singer of Concordance 5
+9/4
+11
+10
+13
Concentration 1(18); Diplomacy 1(18); Disable Device (1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(18); Search (6); Sense Motive 5(15); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
15th: Quick Reconnoiter
Aspect of Exclusion 1/day

16th
Singer of Concordance 6
+10/5
+12
+11
+14
Concentration 1(19); Diplomacy 1(19); Disable Device (1); Heal 1(1); K: Religion (8); Listen (13); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(19); Search (6); Sense Motive 4(19); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
BEF: Favored of the Companions
Aspect of Healing

17th
Apostle of Peace 4
+11/6/1
+13
+12
+15
Concentration 1(20); Diplomacy 1(20); Disable Device (1); Escape Artist 1(1); Heal (1); K: Religion (8); Listen 3(16); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(20); Search (6); Sense Motive 1(20); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
--
Censure Fiends

18th
Wonderworker 1
+11/6/1
+13
+12
+17
Concentration 1(21); Diplomacy 1(21); Disable Device (1); Escape Artist (1); Heal (1); K: Religion (8); Listen 4(18); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(21); Search (6); Sense Motive 1(21); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
18th: Practiced Spellcaster (Apostle of Peace); BEF: Nimbus of Light; BEF: Holy Radiance
--

19th
Wonderworker 2
+12/7/2
+13
+12
+18
Concentration 1(22); Diplomacy 1(22); Disable Device (1); Escape Artist (1); Heal 1(2); K: Religion (8); Listen 4(20); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(22); Search (6); Sense Motive 1(22); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
BEF: Stigmata
--

20th
Wonderworker 3
+12/7/2
+14
+13
+18
Concentration 1(23); Diplomacy 1(23); Disable Device (1); Escape Artist (1); Heal 1(3); K: Religion (8); Listen 4(22); Profession (Bodyguard) 1(23); Search (6); Sense Motive 1(23); Spellcraft (4); Spot (10)
BEF: Lliira's Blessing; BEF: Vow of Chastity
--

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
5; 4
4; 2
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
5; 5
4; 3
-; 0
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
5; 5
4; 3
-; 1
-; 0
-
-
-
-
-
-

11th
5; 6
4; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0
-
-
-
-
-

12th
5; 6
4; 3
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0
-
-
-
-

13th
5; 6
4; 3
-; 3
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0
-
-
-

14th
5; 6
4; 4
-; 3
-; 3
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0
-
-

15th
5; 6
4; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 3
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0
-

16th
5; 6
4; 5
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1
-; 0

17th
5; 6
4; 5
-; 5
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 2
-; 1

18th
5; 6
4; 5
-; 5
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 3
-; 2

19th
5; 6
4; 5
-; 5
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 5
-; 3

20th
5; 6
4; 5
-; 5
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 4
-; 3
-; 6
-; 4

Spells Known:
Duskblade level 0: Acid Splash; Disrupt Undead; Ray of Frost; Touch of Fatigue
Duskblade level 1: Expeditious Retreat, Swift; Obscuring Mist; Ray of Enfeeblement; Rouse

Apostle of Peace: listed spells + Knowledge domain spells

+2 Perfection bonus to Diplomacy
+4 Listen
+4 Spot
+2 racial Search
+1 Attack (magic)
+5 AC
+2 dodge AC vs dragon
No eat, drink
Immunity: Paralysis, magic sleep, frightful presence
Darkvision 30', low light
Flight (limited)
+4 DCs

You're the party ears and eyes. Keep a look-out. And help others keep an ear out, too, by letting allies use your ranks in Listen for their checks. You also make a fine trapfinder at this level (remember to take 20 on your Disable Device checks.)

+6 Diplomacy
+6 Listen, (+2 for allies within 30')
+6 Spot, (+2 for allies within 30')
+2 racial Search
+2 Cha-related checks
+2 Attack (magic, good)
+7 AC
+3 NA
+3 deflection AC
+2 exalted
+1 dodge AC, +2 vs dragon
DR5/magic
No eat, drink
Immunity: Paralysis, magic sleep, detect thoughts, disern lies, discern alignment, frightful presence
Darkvision 90', low lightx3
Flight
+4 DCs
+6 initiative (+2 for allies within 30')
20' calming aura
Shatter weapons
+1 saves
+1 saves vs. spells and SLA
+4 perfection Fort. vs poison/drugs

Here's where things get fun as a bodyguard. Devoted Defender grants Harm's Way, which lets you choose one "charge" to guard. Whenever (and however) that charge is attacked, you can choose to be the target of the attack instead. Use your Spot and Listen bonuses to recognize danger, your initiative bonuses to react to it, and take attacks meant for your charge on yourself and either avoid it via AC bonuses (from VoP, etc.) or force a weapon to save via Vow of Peace. Failure the make the (con-based) save results in the weapon shattering and doing no damage. Otherwise, take the hit, use DR (when applicable) and use immunities or save bonuses to avoid extra effects (paralysis, poison, etc.)

3rd level Apostle of Peace spells are available here. It's not a bad list to provide healing and utility. As a bodyguard, you're providing your charge with create food and water, cure (insert adjective here) wounds, remove blindness/deafness/curse/disease/nausea/paralysis/fear, etc. And, of course, dispel magic is nothing to sneeze at.

+6 Diplomacy
+7 Listen, (+3 to allies within 30')
+7 Spot, (+3 to allies within 30')
One free Spot and Listen per round
+2 racial Search
+2 Cha-related checks
+3 Attack (magic, good)
+9 AC
+3 NA
+4 deflection AC
+2 exalted AC
+1 sacred AC (in homeland)
DR5/evil
Resist: Acid 5, Cold 5, Elec 5, Fire 5, Sonic 5
No eat, drink, breathe
Immunity: Paralysis, magic sleep, detect thoughts, disern lies, discern alignment, 1st compulsion, fear (in homeland), frightful presence
Darkvision 120', low lightx4
Blindsense 30'
Flight
+4 DCs
+9 initiative (+3 to allies within 30')
20' calming aura
20' aura Will save to attack
Shatter weapons
+2 saves
+4 perfection Fort. vs poison/drugs/death/disease
+4 morale saves vs compulsion (and for allies within 10')
Freedom of Movement

Remember the Harm's Way ability? Well, things have gotten better. You're more aware of what's going on around you, your initiative bonus has gotten better, your AC is on the rise, your DR has gotten more effective, you've gained resistence to energies, your saves are better. (For those who get an attack off through your Aspect of Refuge, that is.)

You're casting 8th level Apostle of Peace spells now. They aren't bad. And you've added the Knowledge domain spells to your list. (And don't forget those sanctified spells!) You're not someone to be taken lightly.

+6 Diplomacy, +2 (vs good creatures)
+2 Sense Motive (vs good creatures)
+8 Listen, (+4 for allies within 30')
+8 Spot, (+4 for allies within 30')
One free Spot and Listen per round
+2 racial Search
+2 sacred Escape Artist
+2 Cha-related checks
+5 Attack (magic, good)
+10 AC
+4 NA
+5 deflection AC
+2 exalted AC
+1 sacred AC (in homeland)
DR10/evil
Resist: Acid 15, Cold 15, Elec 15, Fire 15, Sonic 15
Regeneration
No eat, drink, breathe
Immunity: Paralysis, magic sleep, detect thoughts, disern lies, discern alignment, 1st compulsion, fear (in homeland), frightful presence
Darkvision 120', low lightx4
Blindsense 30'
True Seeing
Flight
+4 DCs
+10 initiative (+4 for allies within 30')
20' calming aura
20' aura Will save to attack
10' +1d8 healing
10' Bright light (damages undead), 20' shadowy illum.
Shatter weapons
+3 saves
+2 saves vs. paralyzed/held/entangled
+4 perfection Fort. vs poison/drugs/death/disease
+4 perfection Will vs charm/phantasm
+4 morale saves vs compulsion (and for allies within 10')
Freedom of Movement

Just more of the same, really. And betterment at all of it. 9th level spells (and more slots to use them!)
You are certainly set up with the abilities to defend the peace!

Races of the Wild -- Raptoran race; Fighter RSL
Book of Exalted Deeds -- Sacred Vow feat; Vow of Poverty feat; Vow of Non-violence feat; Vow of Peace feat; Apostle of Peace class; Nymph's Kiss feat; Vow of Abstinence; Vow of Purity; Favored of the Companions feat; Wonderworker class; Nimbus of Light feat; Holy Radiance feat; Stigmata feat; Vow of Chastity feat
Dragon Compendium -- Savant class
Player's Handbook 2 -- Duskblade class; Keen-Eared Scout feat
Races of the Dragon -- Dragonborn race; Singer of Concordance class
Dragon Magic -- Draconic Aura feat
Sword and Fist -- Devoted Defender class
Champions of Valor -- Defender of the Homeland feat
Dungeonscape -- Quick Reconnoiter feat
Complete Divine -- Practiced Spellcaster feat
Player's Guide to Faerun -- Lliira's Blessing
Core/SRD -- Everything else

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:20 PM
She smiles like a saint, but she curses like a sailor.

http://i62.tinypic.com/29cs7r5.png
CG Feytouched Savage Bard 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dread Pirate 4/Marshal 1/Stormsinger 7/Wonderworker 3

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/288/a/6/the_wig_that_should_not_be_by_scebiqu-d30sruu.jpg
Image by scebiqu (http://scebiqu.deviantart.com/art/the-wig-that-should-not-be-182740998).

http://i62.tinypic.com/3585ev9.png
Meranda, born Meranda to elven parents, was plagued by wanderlust in her youth and left home as soon as she came of age. After that, she drifted for a while before taking a position as a deckhand on the caravel Morwel’s Mistress, so named for its hadozee captain’s dedication to the Court of Stars. Meranda took an immediate shine to shipboard life, and Captain Dashi Morwelschild took a shine to Meranda, to the point where when the old captain felt she was no longer fit for duty, she passed the captainship onto Meranda (though she stayed on until her death at the tentacles of a Scyllan some years later). In turn, Meranda adopted the captain’s ship-name and reverence of the Eladrin court.

Meranda’s first few voyages as captain of Morwel’s Mistress were rough: She was personable and hard-working, but had never had authority over anyone but herself, and some of the crew resented being commanded by a relative newcomer. To win them over, Meranda doubled down on helping her mates, whether by mundane or magical means, and soon the ship and her crew gained a repuation for speed and capability, thanks in large part to the efforts of the young captain.

On one particular voyage, Morwel’s Mistress was hired to take a party of treasure seekers to a mysterious island, and Meranda went ashore with the adventurers. They found no treasure, but did free a nereid called Diony who had been trapped on the island for decades. Diony never became an official member of Meranda’s crew, but she and Meranda became intimate friends, and she spurred Meranda to discover ways to use music to influence the winds, further improving Morwel’s Mistress’ capabilities and mystique.

Meranda’s exploits (notably, freeing a cargo of coures who were to be sold as pets) eventually earned her the attentions of her Eladrin patrons, who bestowed gifts on her to forever mark her as one of their champions. These boons included knowledge of the powerful Words of Creation, but Meranda’s most prized gift was the service of Cirne, a celestial parrot of brilliant plumage.

http://i61.tinypic.com/aza2ag.png
Starting Scores: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16

Scores After Racial Adjustment: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 18

Level-up increases go to Cha.

http://i58.tinypic.com/23vi7p3.png

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Savage Bard
+0
+2
+0
+2
Concentration 4, Know (Arcana) 4, Know (Geography) 4, Know (Nature) 4, Perform (Sing) 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Survival 4, Spellcraft 4, Swim 4
Magical Aptitude
Bardic Knack, Bardic Music (Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage)

2nd
Savage Bard
+1
+3
+0
+3
Appraise 2, Concentration 5, Know (Arcana) 5, Know (Religion) 2, Perform (Sing) 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Use Rope 2

3rd
Savage Bard
+2
+3
+1
+3
Appraise 4, Concentration 6, Know (Arcana) 6, Know (Religion) 3, Perform (Sing) 6, Profession (Sailor) 6, Use Rope 4
Quick Draw
Bardic Music (Inspire Competence)

4th
Savage Bard
+3
+4
+1
+4
Appraise 6, Concentration 7, Know (Arcana) 7, Know (Religion) 4, Perform (Sing) 7, Profession (Sailor) 7, Use Magic Device 2

5th
Swashbuckler
+4
+6
+1
+4
Appraise 8, Concentration 8, Profession (Sailor) 8, Perform (Sing) 8, Swim 5
Weapon Finesse (Bonus)

6th
Dread Pirate
+5
+6
+3
+4
Bluff 1, Diplomacy 1, Know (Arcana) 8, Perform (Sing) 9, Profession (Sailor) 9, Swim 6
Storm Magic, Two-Weapon Fighting (Bonus)
Seamanship

7th
Dread Pirate
+6/+1
+6
+4
+4
Bluff 2, Diplomacy 2, Perform (Sing) 10, Profession (Sailor) 10, Sense Motive 2, Swim 7

Fearsome Reputation (Honorable) +2

8th
Dread Pirate
+7/+2
+7
+4
+5
Bluff 4, Diplomacy 3, Perform (Sing) 11, Profession (Sailor) 11, Sense Motive 3, Swim 8

Rally the Crew +1 (1/day)

9th
Dread Pirate
+8/+3
+7
+5
+5
Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Perform (Sing) 12, Profession (Sailor) 12, Sense Motive 4, Swim 9
Knight of the Stars
Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

10th
Marshal
+8/+3
+9
+5
+7
Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Perform (Sing) 13, Profession (Sailor) 13, Swim 10

Minor Aura (Motivate Will)

11th
Stormsinger
+8/+3
+9
+7
+9
Bluff 8, Diplomacy 8, Perform (Sing) 14, Profession (Sailor) 14, Sense Motive 5

Stormsong (Gust of Wind)

12th
Stormsinger
+9/+4
+9
+8
+10
Bluff 9, Diplomacy 10, Perform (Sing) 15, Profession (Sailor) 15, Sense Motive 7
Nymph’s Kiss
Stormpower

13th
Stormsinger
+10/+5
+10
+8
+10
Bluff 12, Diplomacy 11, Perform (Sing) 16, Profession (Sailor) 16, Sense Motive 8

Stormsong (Thunderstrike)

14th
Stormsinger
+10/+5
+10
+9
+11
Bluff 13, Diplomacy 13, Perform (Sing) 17, Profession (Sailor) 17, Sense Motive 9, Use Magic Device 3
Words of Creation (Bonus)
Resistance to Electricity 5

15th
Stormsinger
+10/+5
+10
+9
+11
Bluff 14, Diplomacy 14, Perform (Sing) 18, Profession (Sailor) 18, Sense Motive 11, Use Magic Device 4
Melodic Casting
Stormsong (Control Winds)

16th
Stormsinger
+11/+6/+1
+11
+10
+12
Bluff 15, Diplomacy 15, Perform (Sing) 19, Profession (Sailor) 19, Sense Motive 13, Use Magic Device 5

Resistance to Electricity 10

17th
Stormsinger
+11/+6/+1
+11
+10
+12
Bluff 16, Diplomacy 16, Perform (Sing) 20, Profession (Sailor) 20, Sense Motive 15, Use Magic Device 6

Stormsong (Winter's Ballad)

18th
Wonderworker
+11/+6/+1
+11
+10
+14
Bluff 17, Diplomacy 17, Perform (Sing) 21, Profession (Sailor) 21, Use Magic Device 7
Obtain Familiar, Nimbus of Light (Bonus)

19th
Wonderworker
+12/+7/+2
+11
+10
+15
Bluff 18, Diplomacy 18, Perform (Sing) 22, Profession (Sailor) 22, Use Magic Device 8
Celestial Familiar (Bonus)

20th
Wonderworker
+12/+7/+2
+12
+10
+15
Bluff 19, Diplomacy 19, Perform (Sing) 23, Profession (Sailor) 23, Use Magic Device 9
Words of Creation (Bonus)

Languages Known: Common, Elven, Celestial, Aquan

http://i59.tinypic.com/14ctm45.png

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
2/4
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
3/5
0/2
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
3/6
1/3
-
-
-
-
-

4th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

5th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

6th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

7th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

8th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

9th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

10th
3/6
2/3
0/2
-
-
-
-

11th
3/6
3/4
1/3
-
-
-
-

12th
3/6
3/4
2/3
-
-
-
-

13th
3/6
3/4
2/4
0/2
-
-
-

14th
3/6
3/4
3/4
1/3
-
-
-

15th
3/6
3/4
3/4
2/3
-
-
-

16th
3/6
3/4
3/4
2/4
0/2
-
-

17th
3/6
3/4
3/4
3/4
2/3
-
-

18th
3/6
3/4
3/4
3/4
3/3
-
-

19th
3/6
3/4
3/4
4/4
4/3
-
-

20th
3/6
3/4
4/4
4/4
4/3
-
-

Spells Known:
0 - Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Know Direction, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Songbird
1st - Charm Person, Combined Talent, Grease, Inspirational Boost
2nd - Alter Self, Entice Gift, Silence, Suggestion
3rd - Alter Fortune, Dispel Magic, Gilbness, Haste
4th - Dimension Door, Shadow Conjuration, Sirine’s Grace

http://i61.tinypic.com/dpzuy8.png
Level 5: Mate
The bad thing about Meranda’s melange of prestige classes is that her feats and skills at early levels are pretty much pre-set--and also why she needs to dip Swashbuckler for Weapon Finesse. Swapping out Bardic Knowledge for Bardic Knack helps with that a bit--she doesn’t take enough bard levels to be really powerful, but she knows how to do a little bit of everything. She’s Feytouched, which gives her Charm Person as an SLA 1/day and immunity to mind-affecting effects. At this level, she’s pretty much a normal Bard, with a focus on combat from the extra feat and BAB point gained from Swashbuckler. Also note that the +1 LA from her race has been bought off by this point.

Level 10: Captain
Meranda takes control of Morwel’s Mistress shortly before attaining 5th level, and spends this whole chunk of levels learning how to be a good captain--training up her social skills and increasing the strength and variety of bonuses she can give her crew through Seamanship, Dread Reputation, Rally the Crew, and Motivate Wisdom. She picks up Two-Weapon Fighting and Acrobatic Charge for a little extra melee oomph, but her strength is hanging back in a command role and helping her allies.

Level 15: Stormsinger
Stormsinger locks Miranda into the leadership role she’s been building towards, for reasons both good (her various weather-control Stormsongs make her amazing at controlling a ship) and bad (Stormsinger’s slow BAB progression means she’s not as strong a melee combatant). Thunderstrike does give her a little back-row firepower when she needs it, and Nymph’s kiss alleviates some of the skill drought that plagued her in lower levels, in addition to strengthening many of her skills.

Level 20: Saint
I chose to leave Wonderworker until the end of the build so I would be able to put its bonus spells on more spell levels--being able to cast Shadow Conjuration a couple extra times a day hugely improves Meranda’s versatility. She finally gets Control Weather from Stormsinger, and with her Wonderworker bonus feats, she picks up Words of Creation to improve her Inspire Courage, and gets Cirne the celestial parrot for her familiar.

Meranda counts as an 11th-level caster (Wonderworker arguably stacks too, depending on what “allows you to cast arcane spells” means, but I’ll go with the more conservative interpretation) for familiar purposes, so Cirne is treated as the familiar of an 8th-level caster. He speaks Celestial.

http://i60.tinypic.com/21ecjlt.png
Profession Skill[B]: First off, I chose Profession (Sailor) to focus on because it’s a Profession skill with strong RAW uses in a nautical campaign. A lot of Profession skills are mostly good for character color or PrC prereqs, but Stormwrack has rules for maneuvering a ship with Profession (Sailor). Second, Meranda is designed to make people around her better sailors, in addition to being a superb sailor herself. She has full ranks in Profession (Sailor), of course, and her Dread Pirate levels give her a +4 insight bonus and her allies a +2 insight bonus. Her Motivate Wisdom Marshal Aura further adds her charisma bonus (+4 to +6, assuming no items) as a circumstance bonus. Inspire Competence can increase those bonuses by +2--she should be able to get her hands on a competence-boost masterwork item fairly easily, but not everyone on the ship will have one, and giving a mass +8 to +10 boost is pretty solid.

[B]Wonderworker: As a Bard (and one who isn’t terribly committed to keeping her spellcasting strong), the bonus spells from Wonderworker help her more, proportionately, than they would someone with more base spells per day. As for her bonus feats, the Diplomacy bonus from Nimbus of light is useful once she starts training up that skill, Words of Creation is great for any bard, and having a celestial parrot familiar isn’t strictly necessary but is very on-flavor for an exalted pirate character.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2055szs.png
Book of Exalted Deeds: Wonderworker, Exalted Arcanist, Knight of the Stars, Words of Creation, Consecrate Spell, Purify Spell, Nymph’s Kiss
Complete Adventurer: Dread Pirate
Complete Mage: Melodious Casting
Complete Warrior: Swashbuckler
Fiend Folio: Feytouched
Frostburn: Storm Magic, Stormsinger
Miniatures Handbook: Marshal
Player's Handbook II: Bardic Knack
Unearthed Arcana:: Savage Bard

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:23 PM
Anyone who thinks Archie is lucky hasn't been keeping up with the comics :smallfrown:.

"'God (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1146876) does not play dice with the universe' some famous wizard was saying... 'I mean, some gods must play, given their alignment and all that' would probably be at the end of that sentence if he hadn't been struck by lightning bolt mid-speech.

Luckily for us, Archie Karas isn't god, or even a god. And talking about 'luck', let me tell you all about this Archie fellow. If there's one person that was born with blessing of the whichever god does play dice, this is the one person!

Ladies and gentlemen of this fine establishment I am talking things you won't believe if heard by any other! But Archie's patron might have just shine upon you for the moment because I bring far more than words themselves, I bring you MY word! One can't survive as a storyteller if the stories told aren't true now can they?

Born of a simple family much like you and I, our very own Mr Karas, is the master of bets, smooth talk and "convincing" rich men into giving money to the poor one way or the other. I've seen with these very eyes, in one second he was reading the stars for a the Duke's guard who was accompanying the stuck up leader, the next, he's convinced the man himself to play a hand of Old Maid. His talk was hypnotic to the point that the corrupt Duke didn't even realize that he had already lost the game before they started. From the amount of money he got, he might as well had emptied the man's vault HAHAHA! Needless to say, the town got herself a new tavern and a few churches with the money Archie got from the Duke. Now, I'm not sure if he does this out the kindness of his heart, but what I am sure of, is that he certainly doesn't mind glory it brings him, what with the statue the townsmen built him..." -Daniel Hensom, the storyteller

Archie Karas, the Lucky

1stBard 01+0+0+2+2Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, K Arcana 4, Listen 4, Perf Oratory 4, Prof Astrologer 4, Prof Gambler 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Spellcraft 4, UMD 1Nymph's Kiss, Eschew MaterialsBardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Mimicking Song +2, Fascinate, Inspire Courage

2ndBard 02+1+0+3+3Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Listen 5, Perf Oratory 5, Prof Astrologer 5, Prof Gambler 5, Sleight of Hand 5, Spellcraft 5, Skill Trick: Conceal Spellcasting--

3rdBard 03+2+1+3+3Concentration 6, Diplomacy 6, Listen 6, Perf Oratory 6, Prof Astrologer 6, Prof Gambler 6, Sleight of Hand 6, Spellcraft 6, Language: Orc and GnomeKnight of StarsHaunting Melody

4thBard 04+3+1+4+4Concentration 7, Diplomacy 7, K Arcana 6, Listen 7, Perf Oratory 7, Prof Astrologer 7, Prof Gambler 7, Sleight of Hand 7, Spellcraft 7
--

5thBard 05+3+1+4+4Concentration 8, Diplomacy 8, Listen 8, Perf Oratory 8, Prof Astrologer 8, Prof Gambler 8, Sleight of Hand 8, Spellcraft 8, Skill Trick: False Theurgy-Mimicking Song +4

6thBard 06+4+2+5+5Concentration 9, Diplomacy 9, Listen 9, Perf Oratory 9, Prof Astrologer 9, Prof Gambler 9, Sleight of Hand 9, Spellcraft 9, Language: Draconic and UndercommonStill SpellSuggestion

7thBard 07+5+2+5+5Concentration 10, Diplomacy 10, K Arcana 7, Listen 10, Perf Oratory 10, Prof Astrologer 10, Prof Gambler 10, Sleight of Hand 10, Spellcraft 10, Language: Sylvan--

8thWonder Worker 01+5+2+5+7Concentration 11, Diplomacy 11, K Arcana 9, Listen 11*, Prof Astrologer 11, Prof Gambler 11, Sleight of Hand 11, Spellcraft 11 (* = Cross-class skill)-Bonus Exalted Feat: Sacred Vow, 1 Extra Slot (lv 3)

9thWonder Worker 02+6/1+2+5+8Concentration 12, Diplomacy 12, K Arcana 11, Listen 12*, Prof Astrologer 12, Prof Gambler 12, Sleight of Hand 12, Spellcraft 12Practised SpellcasterBonus Exalted Feat: Gift of Discerniment, 2 Extra Slots (lvs 3 and 2)

10thWonder Worker 03+6/1+3+6+8Concentration 13, Diplomacy 13, K Arcana 13, Listen 13*, Prof Astrologer 13, Prof Gambler 13, Sleight of Hand 13, Spellcraft 13-Bonus Exalted Feat: Gift of Faith, 1 Extra Slot (lv 3)

11thSublime Chord 01+6/1+3+6+10Concentration 14, Listen 14, Perf Oratory 12, Prof Astrologer 14, Prof Gambler 14, Spellcraft 14, Skill Trick: Swift Concentration
-Sublime Chord's Bardic Knowledge and Bardic Music

12thSublime Chord 02+7/2+3+6+11Concentration 15, Diplomacy 14, Listen 15, Perf Oratory 15, Prof Astrologer 15, Prof Gambler 15, Spellcraft 15
Versatile Spellcaster
Song of Arcane Power

13thFatespinner 01+7/2+3+6+13Concentration 16, Prof Astrologer 16, Prof Gambler 16, Sleight of Hands 11
-Spin Fate

14thFatespinner 02+8/3+3+6+14Concentration 17, Prof Astrologer 17, Prof Gambler 17, Sleight of Hands 14
-Fickle Finger of Fate

15thFatespinner 03+8/3+4+7+14Concentration 18, Prof Astrologer 18, Prof Gambler 18, Sleight of Hands 16, Skill Trick: Magical Appraisal
Obtain FamiliarSpin Destiny

16thFatespinner 04+9/4+4+7+15Concentration 19, Prof Astrologer 19, Prof Gambler 19, Sleight of Hands 19, Spellcraft 16
-Deny Fate, Resist Fate

17thSublime Chord 03+9/4+5+8+15Concentration 20, Diplomacy 15, Perf Oratory 19, Prof Astrologer 20, Prof Gambler 20, Spellcraft 17
--

18thSublime Chord 04+10/5+5+8+16Concentration 21, Diplomacy 18, Perf Oratory 21, Prof Astrologer 21, Prof Gambler 21, Spellcraft 18
Master Maipulator-

19thSublime Chord 05+10/5+5+8+16Concentration 22, Diplomacy 22, Perf Oratory 22, Prof Astrologer 22, Prof Gambler 22, Spellcraft 19
--

20thSublime Chord 06+11/6/1+6+9+17Concentration 23, Diplomacy 23, Perf Oratory 23, Prof Astrologer 23, Prof Gambler 23, Spellcraft 23
-Song of Timelessness

Bard Spells

Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-
-

Spells per Day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-
-

Sublime Chord Spells

Spells Known

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

11th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-

Spells per Day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

11th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-

20th
-
-
-
-

Learned in order:

Lv 0
Prestigitation
Lullaby
Dancing Lights
Songbird
Stick
Lv 1
Silent Image
Cheat
Grease
Improvisation

Lv 2
Sonorous Hum
Detect Thoughts
Invisibility
Glitterdust

Lv 3
Glibness
Listening Coin

Lv 4
Dominate Person
Legend Lore
Celerity
Dimension Door

Lv 5
Telepathic Bond
Scry Location
Greater Dispel Magic
Teleport

Lv 6
Hindsight
Contingency
Eye of Stone
Irresistable Dance

Lv 7
Project Image
Greater Shadow Conjuration
Phase Door
Power Word Blind

Lv 8
Discern Location
Mind Blank
Superior Ivisibility

Lv 9
Foresight
Time Stop

For Archie I decided to explore a side of the Profession Skill I thing not many people will think to use. The Profession (Gambler) isn't exactly what one thinks when the skill is mentioned, but then again the Fatespinner is a rather famous class so I might be wrong.

I tried to keep Archie's spells based of the Divination school as well as other spells based off luck. Also, for a game that involves rolling a bunch of dice, I haven't found a single spell that applies to in-game dice except maybe Foresight... Go figure

Sure he could be stronger with other spells and classes, but I really tried to maintain the "gambler" feel to him. I also probably would've went for a level in Wild Mage somewhere, but I know how these competitions dislike dips, so I went for Fatespinner instead.

As far the levels go, up to 5th level he's your straight Bard. Buff people with Inspire Courage, cast some spells. At 10, he's a Bard, but worse. The 3 levels in Wonderworker really hurt him. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I found a strong contender for worse PrC in the game... At lv 15 his arcane prowess is back on par. He can cast 7th level spells, which means he's already beyond the Bard in terms of power, although the lack of Inspire Courage hurts his teamwork potential. Finally at 20th we have our buddy Archie getting as close to a god as possible, as he can now cast 9th level spells.

For my sweetspot, I choose lv 14. He can cast as a Bard (6th lv spells) but the second level in Fatespinner gives him Fickle Finger of Fate, which regardless of its awesome alliterated name, is pretty much the whole thing that inspired this build. In a meta-game line of thought, I think very few things are as satisfying to gambler than telling someone to roll again, because he said so.

Archie's base ability scores are 8, 12, 12, 16, 12, 16

He also buys a Cloak of Cha +6 at lv 12, and a Tome of +5 at lv 16.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-15, 09:28 PM
That does it for our fine crop of contestants! And if our chefs are curious to know what they're in for, here are the criteria for the three judges that have provided them to me:

The maximum score in each category is 5; minimum score is 1.

Originality: Baseline: 1 point. Entrants will be awarded up to 1 point for race: 0.5 points for using a race that is not particularly suited to the casting required for Wonderworker (gains no bonus to casting or psionic stat), 1 point for using a race that has a penalty to their casting or psionic stat. Entrants will be awarded up to 2 points for which Profession you choose: 1 point for using a Profession that is not an obvious choice, 2 points for something totally off-the-wall. Ad-hoc bonuses of up to 1 point for any other particularly surprising build elements.

Power: In this competition, there are a wide variety of entries into the Wonderworker component. Because the power level of possible entry classes varies widely, each entry will be judged compared to a typical example of the entry class. The scores will have a baseline score of 3 (3 representing an average character). Up to 1 point will be awarded or subtracted for how well the character fills the role. Up to 1 point will be awarded or subtracted for versatility (measuring how well the character can perform in something other than the primary role).

Use of Secret Components: Baseline: 1. For each ability combination that explicitly makes use of both components, 0.5-1 points will be awarded. Ad hoc bonuses (up to 1) awarded for particularly clever combinations. Additional feats and abilities taken to improve the powers given by either secret component will be awarded 0.25-0.5 points (depending on how significant an investment the additional feat or ability represents); maximum 1. There will be a 1 point penalty for each level of Wonderworker not taken, and a 0.5 point penalty for each level the character does not take the maximum possible ranks in at least one Profession.

Build Stability: Baseline score is 3. Failure to qualify for (or use) either of the secret components will result in a 1. (Please note that this includes maintaining an Exalted alignment to continue to qualify for Wonderworker's prerequisite feats). Other rule violations, such as failure to qualify for a feat, not meeting an alignment requirement, exceeding the maximum allowed XP, etc; receive a 0.5-1 point penalty per violation, depending on severity. Use of Templates will result in a penalty equal to the level adjustment divided by 2. There will be an ad hoc penalty of up to 1 point for any build that makes me think, “There is no way in Baator that I’d ever allow that at my table.” Entrants will receive a 0.5-1 point bonus for backstory or description that meshes particularly well with the mechanics. (Being a poor writer won’t negate the bonus, but there has to be something there to get it). Keeping two Profession skills maximized will gain a +0.5 point bonus. Keeping three will gain a +1 point bonus. Keeping four or more will gain a +2 bonus.

I'm going to try judging again. Criteria are mostly the same as last round with a few tweaks.

OriginalityStart from a baseline score of 3.

Up to 1 point of bonus or penalty based on whether the classes/race/ect you used were things I expected. Known cheese or standard handbook fare will see a deduction here. Since smaller competitions are more likely to have distinct entries, I've decided to forego comparing 'uniqueness' relative to other entries.

Up to 1 point of bonus or penalty to a build doing something interesting or something we've all seen it before respectively. You can fill a common niche without incurring my wrath, but I'd like to see a new spin on it. Cool factor in your crunch may see a bonus here.

Up to a 0.25 point bonus if I find your fluff to be particularly excellent.

PowerStart from a baseline score of 3.

General Tier level: I want to reward builds that manage to be powerful and versatile without giving T1s a free ride. Taking a Monk and optimizing it into competence deserves more praise than simply not screwing up a Wizard or Druid too badly. So the build's tier ranking will only be worth 0.5 either way. A T5 build will recieve -0.5 points. A build on the T4/T5 boundary will recieve -0.25 points. A T4 build will receive 0 points. A build on the T4/T3 boundary will receive +0.25 points. A T3 or higher build will receive 0.5 points.

Up to 1.5 points of bonus or penalty for how well you do the things that you do. For example, if you're a front line fighter, how good are you at hurting things? If you're a caster, do you lose a lot of caster levels?

EleganceStart from a baseline score of 3.

Each failure to qualify for a class or feat results in a 0.5 point deduction. Qualifying for all such things gets you a bonus of 0.5.

Up to 1 point of penalty for questionable rules interpretations and for any cheese stinky enough to make it onto my personal ban list (note that I'm pretty cheese tolerant, in general). Avoidance of such things gets you a bonus of 0.5.

Up to 1 point of bonus or penalty based on the overall flow of the build. A clean, flowing progression will score more points, whereas something that feels awkward may be penalized. As with cheese, I'm not going to try to be especially punitive toward dipping, unless you're really asking for it. If you incur multiclass penalties, change alignment mid-build for crunch reasons, or the like, you can expect to be dinged here.

Up to 0.5 points of bonus or penalty if the build just screams classy or is especially distasteful in a way not quantified by the above.

Use of Secret IngredientStart From a Baseline Score of 1.

Up to 1.25 points for good use of the Profession skill.

Up to 1.25 points for good use of Wonderworker's prerequisites and class abilities.

Up to 1.5 points for synergy between the abilities of the two classes.

taking the criteria set in the last competition i have my judging criteria as this

originality - looking for the build to be unique from other builds, the more builds that follow a similar strategy, classes (outside of the components) or "feel" will get deductions. also looking at ways to use the classes in imaginative ways that do not feel copy paste a handbook. of course handbook options will be used, but if it looks like its just straight from it rather than personalised that is a penalty.

power - this is probably the hardest category for me to judge, power will be as such - since the wonderworker progresses spell casting it is assumed that all builds will take some form of it, higher spell levels and access to stronger lists will be considered more powerful and with each "missing" spell level below 9th casing less power. though lists with sped up progression e.g. spells 1-2 levels early and access at say a max level of 6th level spells with the power of 7/8/9th levels will not have a reduction in power or at least less than a wizard who only gets 6th lvl spells.
a second aspect will be combat effectiveness. whether this comes from damage output and the reliability of it or from the power of its buffs/debuffs and save or sucks if that is the focus, if it is a mundane controller (or has aspects of it) like a tripper then the effectiveness of it against things its CR and the amount of control it exerts. this similarly extends to battlefield control casters.
another aspect of power will be versatility, if the build can do one amazing thing better than any one would think possible! whoop-te-do, something comes along it cant do it to and its useless. so a build that can tackle a multitude of tasks effectively does not need to have one cheesy effective method.
and the final aspect is how long can it sustain that power. if it goes supernova 1-3 times a day, meh powerful but the 4th time it dies, if it can keep that power up for extended periods or forever, or at least more than just a couple times a day then it receives a better power score.
after all, these are builds that are meant to see play, not TO's so they must be a playable power level.

use of secret components - as said, if the build utilises the class features, and the skill as a pivotal point of the build then they will receive top marks. if they use the components effectively then they receive good marks. if they use the components, but they don't utilise it in the builds main focus then low marks. if the components are humoured but not utilised at all then little or no marks.
also, if the builds attempt to utilise components that are in essence similar or share features from the forbidden component then that has a significant reduction (for example if they use any class feature, feat or ability that is similar to something a factotum is known for then they get a reduction, but trapfinding is not a unique feature and i would not penalise).

build stability - essentially i will be looking at this as if i was literally DM'ing a campaign this character was about to join, and i run mid-op. so a strong build is absolutely fine. and a little cheese can be acceptable as long as it uses absolutely no questionable rules, and that is not generally playground accepted rulings on rules, but the actual rule. and in this aspect of my judging i will be following RAI rather then RAW. if anyone abuses RAW to there advantage then i will be deducting a small amount.
cheese that is for the sake of cheese is a big reduction,
any very high op builds may find a reduction in this category depending on what they do. as this is all about whether a DM would allow it. not whether its RAW correct. though that is an aspect.
any builds that are hard to understand, do not properly source (I'm not after Harvard referencing), and whether every bit of the build comes from a different book. if 50-60 books are used then that's a penalty.

As a note, what Judge B refers to as "Elegance" was termed "Build Stability" in Junkyard Wards, but a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet. With that, posting is now open!

KrimsonNekros
2014-09-15, 09:40 PM
man I wish I'd gotten inspired sooner. I was looking at a Rogue 3/ Paladin 4/Shadowbane Stalker 8/ Shadowbane Inquisitor 2/ Wonderworker 3.

sakuuya
2014-09-15, 09:49 PM
man I wish I'd gotten inspired sooner. I was looking at a Rogue 3/ Paladin 4/Shadowbane Stalker 8/ Shadowbane Inquisitor 2/ Wonderworker 3.

What would your profession have been? My favorite part of this round is all the different mundane skills people decided to build characters around.

dextercorvia
2014-09-15, 09:54 PM
Those are some interesting entries -- I like what I see. I don't envy the judges for having to decide between them.

My build if anyone is interested:

Aerenal Elf Spellthief8/Ruathar3/Sandshaper1/WarWeaver5/Wonderworker3

She was, as indicated, a (sacred) Prostitute (of Lastai), who trades favors and instruction in the erotic arts for spells.

I discovered a neat interaction between Spellthief, War Weaver, and Sand Shaper.

War Weaver's Quiescent Weave allows you to cast a spell as soon as you steal it, but wait to release it up to 24 hours later. Sand Shaper adds lots of low level buff spells to your spells known, so that even if you steal a useless spell, it is easily converted into something for the weave. I was debating whether the War Weaver's ability to hold up to 5th level spells in her weave allowed Wonderworker to grant up to 5th level spell slots. I probably wouldn't have pushed that, as it felt shaky RAWwise.

Ironically, it was the discovery of that possible interaction with War Weaver and Wonderworker that caused me to include that class in the first place. But, then as the build shifted to be more about Spellthief/War Weaver, and less about sacred prostitution and Wonderworker, I lost motivation to continue for the contest. About the only thing left that really was part of the original stub was Nymph's Kiss and Touch of Golden Ice. Edit: And Ruathar's Capstone allowing her to be older than most elves, which is the mechanics behind the tag-line, "World's Oldest Professional".

KrimsonNekros
2014-09-15, 09:56 PM
What would your profession have been? My favorite part of this round is all the different mundane skills people decided to build characters around.

Probably an infiltrator of some kind. I'd have been using an alternately fluffed out version of the Shadowbane that works for Torm so that he didn't have to be lawful stupid.

ranagrande
2014-09-15, 10:22 PM
Someday I'll actually enter one of these...

I had great plans for a Ranger 4/Barbarian 3/Divine Crusader 1/Sovereign Speaker 5/Verdant Lord 4/Wonderworker 3.

But as usual, I waited too long to actually do it.

Macabaret
2014-09-15, 10:25 PM
When I first saw this contest, my immediate thoughts went in a certain direction. I worked at it, kept playing with it, and most if it written up. But I just couldn't get around the idea that I was just tacking Wonderworker on at the end for the sole reason that it was required for the contest. So I ditched the idea and ended up with the one I submitted.

And now I see that there's a build in the contest that is somewhat akin to what I had tried at first. (Not that they're exact duplicates, mind you.)
It'll be interesting to see how the judges compare that build to the one I did submit.

Troacctid
2014-09-16, 12:34 AM
Nobody went for Merchant Prince? Oh man, now I wish I had built it instead of spending all weekend playing Rogue Legacy.

For those not familiar with Merchant Prince, it's a 5-level prestige class from a Forgotten Realms book that gives +2 per level to Profession checks made to earn a profit from a business (using the rules for running a business from Dungeon Master's Guide II). It has its own spellcasting progression with spells up to 3rd level, so it qualifies for Wonderworker but it doesn't lose any actual casting by taking it. Basically the perfect class for this competition.

I would say I'm surprised nobody used it, but in fairness, it is rather obscure.

My build probably would have been Rogue 5/Merchant Prince 5/Wonderworker 3/(something) with the ultimate goal of pumping Profession (Merchant) into the stratosphere to power up my business's monthly profit checks (which, incidentally, earn WAY more money than than the standard weekly Profession checks).

Sian
2014-09-16, 12:38 AM
Was looking for some time to get some oomph out of Profession (Siege Engineer) running around with a horse carriage with a Balista strapped on for 'adventuring' (would probably need Tunnelfighting / Tunnelriding of some kind) and running siege crews for king and country. But it failed to materialize on me being unable to make the rules fit for the Balista be enchanted enough to get it into a 'a shot a round' without getting into questionable rule territory (was thinking something in the lines of Self-Loading (A&EG p116), and Quick-Loading (MIC p41)) arguing the case that a (heavy) Balista is a Huge sized Heavy Crossbow and able to be enchanted as such.

Sian
2014-09-16, 12:43 AM
Nobody went for Merchant Prince? Oh man, now I wish I had built it instead of spending all weekend playing Rogue Legacy.

For those not familiar with Merchant Prince, it's a 5-level prestige class from a Forgotten Realms book that gives +2 per level to Profession checks made to earn a profit from a business (using the rules for running a business from Dungeon Master's Guide II). It has its own spellcasting progression with spells up to 3rd level, so it qualifies for Wonderworker but it doesn't lose any actual casting by taking it. Basically the perfect class for this competition.

I would say I'm surprised nobody used it, but in fairness, it is rather obscure.

My build probably would have been Rogue 5/Merchant Prince 5/Wonderworker 3/(something) with the ultimate goal of pumping Profession (Merchant) into the stratosphere to power up my business's monthly profit checks (which, incidentally, earn WAY more money than than the standard weekly Profession checks).

Commerce Domain from Eberron gives +10 competence bonus to Profession checks to 'earn a living'

Seerow
2014-09-16, 12:54 AM
Commerce Domain from Eberron gives +10 competence bonus to Profession checks to 'earn a living'

So combine those and before having any spells, items, etc applied you're looking at a +50ish Profession(Merchant) check? Sounds pretty decent. Won't be hitting any meaningful power benchmarks, but the UoSI and Originality probably would have been top notch.

Actually if you could find a way to justify being able to actually use the profit you're earning from your business as a source of great personal wealth, then you are probably able to hit power benchmarks as well just through abuse if NI wealth.

Troacctid
2014-09-16, 01:07 AM
I honestly think running a shop or tavern using the DMG2 rules is the way to go for Profession. It gives you a nice return on your investment--every +1 is worth 50 gp per month. That means that over the lifespan of an average elf who opens a shop as soon as they reach adulthood, that measly +1 luck bonus from Favored of the Companions ends up being worth 265,000 gp--enough to buy an Epic-level magic item. And I bet you thought it was a feat tax!

Wonderworker is probably designed to be taken by prestige classes that have their own casting progressions. Normally it sucks because yeah, you gain spells per day, but you could have just taken another level of your spellcasting class. However, if you've already taken all ten levels of Apostle of Peace or Slayer of Domiel, that's not an option, which is where Wonderworker comes in.

Seerow
2014-09-16, 01:13 AM
I honestly think running a business using the DMG2 rules is the way to go for Profession. It gives you a nice return on your investment--every +1 is worth 50 gp per month.

It's been a while since the last time I looked, but I'm pretty sure it gets sillier than that. I vaguely remember being able to invest more into your business every so often to provide a stacking bonus to your profit. Which would make any increased initial amount be worth exponentially more as time goes on. I'd have to go read it again to be sure though.

Edit: Nevermind the cost for an upgrade is minimal enough and limited in usage enough that your upgrade rate should be about the same regardless of your profession check, as long as you are profitable.

Troacctid
2014-09-16, 01:23 AM
For those without the book on hand, every three months you can invest 25% of the startup cost into your business to roll 1d4 and add that as a permanent bonus to your profit checks. So it's linear, not exponential, but it's still very significant when you're talking about a long-lived race like an elf.

Sian
2014-09-16, 01:24 AM
So combine those and before having any spells, items, etc applied you're looking at a +50ish Profession(Merchant) check? Sounds pretty decent. Won't be hitting any meaningful power benchmarks, but the UoSI and Originality probably would have been top notch.

Well ... except for the fact that Merchant Prince is FR and Commence is (as mentioned) Eberron, so they're kinda mutually exclusive. Reason why i posted it was that Merchant Prince weren't unique in gaining that kind of thing (hell, Dwarven Chanter used in one of the builds ups it by making the skill bonuses untyped for a much wider range of things, for a total bonus of +20 when its tedious work)

Kazyan
2014-09-16, 02:08 AM
I had a build complete but never got motivated to do the big freaking fluff sections that these contests need, so it was shelved. Here's a brief description.

CG Necropolitan Illumian (Hoonkrau)

Bard 3/Human Paragon 3/Chameleon 10/Wonderworker 3/Marshal (Motivate Wisdom) 1

Ability scores:
STR 8
DEX 8
CON --
INT 16
WIS 18 (level up bonuses 4, 8, 12, and 20 go here)
CHA 14 (level up bonus 16 goes here)

Feats:
1 Jack of All Trades
3 Able Learner
B5 Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment [Commerce])
6 Favored in Guild (Performer)
C8 Any exalted feat, at first, then changed to something useful...Enhanced Power Sigils?
9 Fell Energy
12 Improved Sigil (Krau)
15 Knight of Stars
W17 Nymph's Kiss
18 Obtain Familiar
W18 Celestial Familiar
W19 Words of Creation
M20 Skill Focus (Diplomacy)

Profession never says how long you need to be working to make money, and Jack of All Trades means you can use all professions. So work multiple jobs. Planar Touchstone grants +10 to Profession checks to earn money, so you're looking at +16 on all professions even at level 5 (+10 PT, +4 Wisdom, +2 Hoon sigil). Favored In Guild doubles earnings from Profession. Chameleon's floating Bonus Feat allows circumventing a feat tax for Wonderworker, since Wonderworker gives an exalted feat back when you get in. Fell Energy combines with various skill-enchancing spells from Chameleon, giving a +2 bonus for each. Fell Energy on Share Talents, Divine Insight, Guidance of the Avatar...Profession checks get high real fast. Improved Sigil (Krau) on a Bard spell and a Chameleon spell allows qualification for Wonderworker, granting 9th-level spells, so you're relevant outside of Profession checks with them. Obtain Familiar and Celestial Familiar for a Coure Eladrin; share your skill buffs with her and have her do Profession checks as well, while you also use Aid Another on each other to boost the checks further. Words of Creation for more Bard-ness. Marshal's Motivate Wisdom gives you +Wis to Profession and allows Nymph's Kiss to apply to Profession checks.

A lot of this stuff applies to Wisdom-based skill checks in general, so the l00t n00b can also Fell Energy Alter Self into a Vampire Spawn for a +10 bonus to Spot and Listen (Fell Energy bumps up the racial skill bonuses and the Alertness bonus feat) and notice everything ever.

This was called the l00t n00b because I was going to make the fluff section be about the player thinking Profession was so OP because there was no chance of death, and then making optimized decisions based on the wrong reasons. But, then, couldn't be bothered to write 1000 words of n00b.

Sian
2014-09-16, 02:32 AM
there is a couple of issues with that build idea that springs to mind.

Able Learner is 1st level only

Depending on the judge your trick with Chameleon supplying the Exalted feat for Wonderworker, later replacing it with something else, might not work, since you then don't qualify for Wonderworker (feats from Wonderworker don't count for qualifying for Wonderworker, making it a loop).

Chameleon explicitly doesn't qualify with anything gained from Aptitude Focus, (and Ability Boon and Mimic) so using that for getting a better boost out of Wonderworker aren't working (and even if it did how would you get 9th level spells?)

Kazyan
2014-09-16, 02:37 AM
Good thing it's not in the contest, then. I don't actually know how to optimize; that's why I keep dying in actual play.

sideswipe
2014-09-16, 07:15 AM
Good thing it's not in the contest, then. I don't actually know how to optimize; that's why I keep dying in actual play.

you dont need to optimise. you just need to be clever. i have played horribly weak characters for fun and used cleverness to overcome all obstacles.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-16, 07:56 AM
you dont need to optimise. you just need to be clever. i have played horribly weak characters for fun and used cleverness to overcome all obstacles.

But not too clever, lest an angry DM start gunning for you.

sideswipe
2014-09-16, 08:06 AM
But not too clever, lest an angry DM start gunning for you.

i usually play for a dm who uses subtlety to the extreme and likes to make most encounters that you "can" encounter unbeatable in a straight fight. only the ones you have to encounter are beatable.

on the side of this there is usually some way to circumvent or beat any challenge. but the hints can be way too subtle. he sometimes holds his hands up and says
"sorry, i made this way too difficult".

so he loves it when we are cleverer then he anticipates. like the time when playing world of darkness werewolf i completed an entire meant-to-be 3 session long adventure in 15 minutes because i had to leave.

dysprosium
2014-09-16, 08:39 AM
My initial thought was a Spirit Shaman going into Swanmay with Wonderworker. She was going to be some kind of professional medium.

And that's as far as I got.

Amphetryon
2014-09-16, 09:26 AM
The idea I originally considered:
Halfling Wu Jen 7/Wonder Worker 3/Fatespinner 5/Fortune's Friend 5. The basic idea was someone relying on direct interference from the Dice Gods to offset otherwise lousy luck, with Fortune's Friend's poor casting progression representing what happens when one's luck turns.

WhamBamSam
2014-09-16, 10:12 AM
Good thing it's not in the contest, then. I don't actually know how to optimize; that's why I keep dying in actual play.You might've at least gotten HM from me. Most of the issues are fixable, though the 3rd level spells thing is a bit problematic without two more levels of Bard casting unless the DM allows Heighten/Sanctum Spell qualification cheese. I like the Jack of All Trades/Profession trick, and I don't see any issue with using Chameleon until Wonderworker can self-qualify, so long as Chameleon is providing the "other" Exalted feat, as in fact it is in this case.

Speaking of Heighten/Sanctum Spell cheese, I'm surprised no one went for early 9ths trick with Wonderworker via DMM Heighten. Yeah, it's ultracheese and pretty questionable, but I still thought someone would try it.

Telonius
2014-09-17, 08:39 AM
Since I'm judging, I couldn't enter one. But if I had, here was the idea...

Cleric/Soulguard/Wonderworker, Profession: Lawyer. Basically, a Daniel Webster build.

Deadline
2014-09-17, 09:27 AM

Wasn't Frostlink yours, from Cipher Adept? I know it was at least partial TO, but it was still awesome.

sideswipe
2014-09-18, 02:04 PM
half way through my judging, should be done this weekend, probably sunday

Telonius
2014-09-18, 02:58 PM
4 of 6 done, here. Gearing up for a D&D session this weekend, so I might be finished a little later. Interesting mix so far!

Telonius
2014-09-20, 04:15 PM
Judging is done and sent in to OMG Ponies. Should I post in the thread as well, or are we waiting for a judging reveal? (This is my first time judging a contest like this, so I'm completely expecting some challenges).

OMG PONIES
2014-09-20, 07:43 PM
Sorry about that, got it!

Here it is!

NOTE: I’ll be waiving the penalties I'd originally put down, for not keeping Profession maxed each level. This would have been a really particular thing, and not something the competitors would easily predict. Instead I’ll deduct 0.5 each for any ranks in Profession not taken by level 20.

Build 1: Brewmaster Barleybeard: 13.25

Originality: 3.5.
The race isn’t particularly tailored for the class – no bonus to the casting stat. Dwarf’s typical strong point for Cleric (no penalty to full plate movement) is negated by the fact it’s Cloistered. +0.5. Profession: Brewer is not an obvious choice, since it doesn’t have any particular mechanical benefit other than the usual skill checks. Still, it’s fairly normal; as you mention, it is in the PHB’s list. So the component itself was not off-the-wall surprising. +1. What I didn’t see coming, at all, was a 3.0-era Prestige Class that hasn’t received a lot of attention. +1.

Power: 2.75
Power: This seems a bit more powerful than the “average” Cleric. No lost casting levels. No Divine Metamagic to be seen, so it’s not on the top end of the power spectrum. The Master Alchemist could give some unusual buffing options. (Why yes, Mr. Fighter, I do happen to have a potion of Righteous Might!) You’ve taken Wonderworker at the very end, so you’re getting the most out of the bonus spells there. I’d say, +0.25 overall.
Versatility: Very low attack bonus and low strength. Intuitive Attack helps there, though it turns on kind of late. You’re still a Tier 1 caster, and you can give out a variety of unusual buff spells to your friends in potion form. But to really get mileage out of that, you’d need to have an Extended (or gods help us, Persisted) spell. Your Turn Undead is not going to have a very good total, between low charisma and levels spent away from Cleric. –0.5.

Use of Secret Components: 3.0.
I’m going to bend my own criteria, both here and in the Stability category. Alchemy is technically a Craft skill, but it’s central to what the character is doing in his Brewer profession. I’ll count Master Alchemist as benefiting the secret component (+0.5); Skill Focus also counts (+0.25).
Consecrate Spell does technically work with both components. It wouldn’t give any mechanical change other than increasing the price of the potion, but it’s something I could completely see this character as doing. +0.75.
The fluff gives a clear picture of how the character is making use of his Exalted nature and Wonderworker levels. Even though this isn’t a mechanical issue, it’s important not to neglect the do-gooding nature of an Exalted character. +0.5

Stability: 4.0
Unfortunately the starting ability scores go over the point buy limit. They’re 2 over, at 34. Penalty of –0.5.
I’m going to count Craft (Alchemy) as keeping two Profession skills maximized. +0.5.
Backstory: +1. The build is matched really well to the character. The mechanics support the personality you’re trying to get across.

Build 2: High Chantress Bellina: 11.85

Originality: 2.75.
Dream Dwarf has no bonus to the casting stat, and no penalty either. +0.5. For the Profession, Miner doesn’t typically have any mechanical benefits, but there’s not much more stereotypically Dwarf-y than mining (with the possible exceptions of drinking and having a Scottish accent). +0.25.
Dwarven Chanter is a pretty obscure prestige class, being a WotC-website only update of a 2nd-edition class. +1.

Power: 2.5
This seems significantly less powerful than an average Bard, and there were two big missed opportunities in the build. First, there’s the lack of 6th-level spells. More Bard levels instead of Marshal and Seeker levels would have fixed that. The biggest mechanical reason I can see for that Marshal level is the free Skill Focus you need for Seeker, but you use that for Diplomacy instead of Perform. (The Aura bonuses are small and kind of situational). Combine Songs is nifty, but Lingering Song would get you almost the same effect at the price of a feat instead of essentially four caster levels.
Second, there’s the ability distribution. As a Divine Bard, your primary casting stat is Wisdom, not Charisma. Charisma still determines the DC, but quite a few of your spells are spells aren’t offensive ones. The Charisma score does fuel your Snowflake Wardance, but with 8’s in Strength and Dex and a 12 in Con, if you’re in melee something has gone very wrong. If you were looking to improve your melee, trading the stats for Charisma and Wisdom, then swapping out Snowflake Wardance for Intuitive Attack would have been more sensible (and also not cost you any uses of Bardic Music). -0.75.
Versatility: This seems about as versatile as a typical Bard, maybe slightly more. Your Diplomacy is high enough to effectively serve as the party Face, though you’re lacking in the Bluff or Sense Motive that most true social skillmonkeys have. You have options against Constructs that are a bit more than what most Bards get, and some of the healing songs are welcome additions. Being able to basically do Sympathetic Vibration without using a spell is nice as well. I’d peg it as +0.25.

Use of Secret Components: 3.
Words of Creation ties Wonderworker and the Profession (Mining) skill (through Timing Chant). +1.
Dwarven Chanter is a significant investment, and dovetails very nicely with Profession (Mining). When I made the criteria I’d only had single items in mind for things that would get the bonus. Since this is much more of an investment than a feat, I’ll grant the full +1.
While the backstory gave a clear indication of how it supports mining, it didn't really develop how the character is Exalted. No bonus there.

Stability: 3.6
No obvious cheese. If anything, it’s underpowered. Starting at middle age is something that I’d take a close look at, but with the ability scores arranged as they are it hurts as much as it helps. I would definitely allow this build at my table.
Nymph’s Kiss is one area where I tend to be kind of strict for the roleplaying requirement. The requirement is to maintain an intimate relationship with a good-aligned Fey. Intimate does not necessarily mean “physical,” but a one-time meeting (even a very meaningful one) doesn’t quite qualify. This is kind of a minor quibble and would be easily fixed with a slight change in backstory; but I have to judge on what’s there, not what could be there. -0.15.
Backstory: The build matches up pretty well with the mechanics, with the exception of the Nymph’s Kiss issue. I particularly liked the Treasure Scent spell, which would completely make sense given the character. +0.75.

Build 3: Horatio Figbottom: 12.0.

Originality: 3.5.
Halfling isn’t particularly suited to the class, but doesn’t penalize the casting stat. +0.5. The Profession is relatively normal, but not something that gives mechanical bonuses otherwise. +1. And a very big +1 for the unexpected: entry using an NPC class.

Power: 2.75
I’m kind of conflicted on both Power and Versatility, mainly because I’m having trouble deciding what the primary role of this character is supposed to be. I’m going to go with Diplomancer (Ficus-mancer?) NPC. This is pretty clearly going to be something the DM uses as a plot device, not what a player’s going to choose as an adventurer. In any case, man, did you luck out on the criteria for “Power.” I love the general concept here, but I think there would have been some better ways to go about it. Favored Soul of Yondalla (or another Halfling deity) instead of Adept as an entry would have solved several of the build’s biggest problems (and allowed a third level in Wonderworker), while keeping the Johnny Appleseed feel. It’s clearly a much more powerful character than staying in Adept (or a Diplomacy-focused Expert) would have been, but that’s a pretty low bar. +0.5.
Versatility: On the plus side, you do get a bit of magical support, and can do some buffing on skill checks. On the other hand, the character is going to have a very hard time in any sort of combat. Gear isn’t usually taken into account in the competition, but when a character doesn’t have proficiency in any armor at all, that needs to be considered. You’re either going to stay out of combat entirely, or get a more expensive option like Bracers of Armor. Outside of a social situation, there’s just not much that this guy can do other than “not starve in the wilderness.” -0.75

Use of Secret Components: 2.0.
Profession and Wonderworker were both used in service of the Exemplar class. It’s not a totally clean fit, since the Adept levels used to qualify for Wonderworker have a fairly poor selection of skills, which doesn’t help the cause. +0.5.
Exemplar does certainly improve your Profession skill. +0.5.
Only two of the three Wonderworker levels taken. –1.
The fluff gives a extraordinarily clear picture of how the character is making use of his Exalted nature, Profession skills, and Wonderworker levels. +1.

Stability: 3.5.
This isn’t a rules violation per se, but I should mention it: you’ve shorted yourself on Skill Mastery. The initial bonus is 1+Int skills, but you get an additional skill each time you level up in Exemplar. Depending on which skills you had chosen, that could have improved your Versatility or Power scores. As is, it’s an answer left blank; no additional penalty assessed.
Adept does gain the ability to Summon a Familiar at second level, and you’ve noted it on the table. Since you didn’t mention the familiar elsewhere I’m assuming that he never actually summoned it. No penalty.
The backstory is great, and just in time for Johnny Appleseed’s birthday (September 26th). This is a great example of putting the concept first, and building to that. That gives it a +1 bonus.
I would not allow the character at my gaming table as a PC, except in a very specific sort of campaign (extremely heavy on the social interaction and extremely light on the combat). It is a decent attempt to stat that sort of a character; it just doesn’t have enough ways to meaningfully contribute to solving a typical encounter, and would drag down any group. As a helpful NPC or a plot device … it’s something I’d consider seriously, if I ever had reason to need a wandering do-gooder. No penalty, but no bonus either.

Buid 4: Bael-Ver: 15.5

Originality: 3.25
No bonus or penalty to the casting stat, +0.5. Bodyguard is not an obvious choice. It’s not listed in the PHB, and (to my knowledge) doesn’t give any particular mechanical advantage. It’s not quite to the level of totally off-the wall; 1.5. Surprising build elements: Savant class. Not much of an investment in it, but I wasn’t expecting it at all. +0.25. Raptoran Fighter was more puzzling than surprising, especially given the fact that a Vow of Poverty character probably isn’t going to be flying encumbered very often, unless he’s being the party pack mule. (With a strength of 8, that’s probably not going to happen very often).

Power: 5
Power: Much, much more powerful than a typical Savant. More powerful than a typical Apostle of Peace, for that matter, thanks to bonus Wonderworker spells. +1. Versatility: He can scout, he can fly; he has a leg up on most VoP builds in that regard. He can face, he can cast, he can diplomance too; though that's standard for any Apostle of Peace. +1.

Use of Secret Component: 3.5
Vow of Poverty is a (very) significant investment, and helps with both the Profession checks (in terms of stat improvements) and Exalted Feats (through bonus feats). +1.
While the Harm’s Way ability doesn’t affect the Profession skill directly, it assists in the Profession’s implied role. Same for Apostle of Peace. +1.
The fluff gives a clear picture of what he’s doing with his Exalted nature and his Profession skill. +0.5

Build Stability: 3.75
Two minor quibbles here. First, Nymph’s Kiss. Like several of the other feats in BoED, it’s a feat with a roleplay requirement. If I were presented with this character as a DM, I’d want that intimate relationship to be more than something in the background that’s never mentioned or developed until you need a skill point, especially given the Vow of Chastity at 20. (“Intimate” doesn’t necessarily mean physically intimate, but I’d want some kind of explanation there). Given this build and backstory, it would be really easy to add it in: the significant other he’s sworn to defend, or maybe even another member of the party who’s playing a Fey race. But as written, it’s not there. -0.25.
Second stability issue is the Apostle of Peace casting. Apostle of Peace casts “as a Cleric.” Meaning, you need a Divine Focus; and Summon Holy Symbol is not on the Apostle of Peace list. Some DMs will allow you to make a <1gp wooden symbol (or carve something into your Aspergillum), and allow that to work. If it’s not allowed, it would completely cripple the character’s casting. (The other bodyguard-ing abilities would work just fine). I won’t assess a penalty for it, since I think that enforcing that sort of requirement on a Cleric-like caster would be just plain mean. But it would have been nice to mention the possible concern, and the work-around.
The build takes a concept and really builds towards it in a way that’s mechanically powerful and very flavorful. +1.

Build 5: Meranda Morwelschild: 12.25

Originality: 1.5
No bonuses for race (bonus to casting stat) or profession (normal profession that’s well-known to give mechanical bonuses in naval campaigns/Stormwrack stuff). I am a little surprised that we have a +1 LA race; the only one in the competition so far. (And thanks for mentioning the buy-off). +0.5 there.

Power: 3.5
Power: This one is going to be kind of hard to gauge. You technically have a Bard entry, but the build seems like it would play much more like an arcane-enabled Swashbuckler or Rogue. So let’s say we take a Bard/Swashbuckler multiclass for the baseline. On water, this would be a pretty strong class compared to that. +0.5.
Versatility: Obviously this character is strongest on the sea, but it seems like she would be useful on land as well. Stormsinger doesn’t require you to be on water to get the bonuses. Bluff and Diplomacy will serve you well whether you’re captaining or not. On the other hand, that low UMD score (relative to the average Bard) is going to hurt, and it has a lower attack bonus than the typical Bard. I’m calling this a wash, no bonus or penalty

Use of Secret Components: 4.25
Bard improves both the Profession skill and qualifies for Wonderworker. 0.5.
Dipping Marshal for Motivate Wisdom was particularly clever, and a significant investment (i.e. another lost caster level). (Text trumps table, so I’m reading “Motivate Will” as “Motivate Wisdom.”) +0.5 for taking it,+0.75 for cleverness.
Dread Pirate helps with her Profession checks; is also a significant investment and a big part of the flavor. +0.5 for use, +0.5 for significant investment.
The fluff shows exactly how she’s using her Profession skill, but the Exalted alignment is about being “better than Good.” You could have developed that aspect a bit more. On the other hand, I loved the parrot. +0.5 for awesomeness.

Build Stability: 3.0
You’ve shorted yourself by 2 in the ability point buy; it only adds up to 30. No penalty.
There are some problems with your skill point distribution. Use Rope is not a class skill for Bards. (I did a double-take myself when I was checking that; it really seems like something a Bard ought to have). At second level, that means you’d have to put 4 skill points into Use Rope to get two ranks. For both second and third level, you’ve gone over on skill points (by two each). It also means that your maximum ranks in Use Rope at third level would be 3 (half of the class skill total of 6). That would normally be a fairly minor thing, due to an oversight that’s easy to make (and I’ll drop the penalties to below 0.5 because of that). But those ranks in Use Rope are required to qualify for Dread Pirate, which you take for four levels (and which is a major part of the build’s flavor). The build is definitely salvageable, but as-written I have to give it a penalty. -0.25 for the mistake on class skills, -0.25 for going over on level 3, -0.5 for technically failing to qualify for Dread Pirate; -1 in all.
The backstory and the mechanics really mesh together well. +1.

Build 6: Archie Karas: 13.75

Originality: 2.0.
Race wasn’t mentioned, but from the two feats at first I’m assuming human. +0.5. Profession: Both normal, and well-known prerequisites for the PrCs. What I didn’t expect was seeing them both in the same build. +0.5.

Power: 4.75.
Power: +1. Sublime Chord offers significantly more powerful casting than Bard.
Versatility: +0.75. Primary caster and face, with some neat abilities to force re-rolls. However, you’ve missed out on UMD, which most Bards (and everybody else, for that matter) will try to keep as high as possible. As you mention, loss of Inspire Courage does take a hit, too, so you’re not as much of a party buffer.

Use of Secret Components: 2.75
While the Fatespinner and Sublime Chord prestige classes don’t make mechanical use of the Profession skills, they’re central to the flavor of the character. +0.5 for each, especially since you’ve kept both of the prerequisite skills maximized from 1-20.
The brief fluff gives a clear picture of how the character is making use of his Exalted nature and Wonderworker levels. +0.75

Build Stability: 4.25
Similar to build 4 (Bael-Ver), you don’t mention any background for Nymph’s Kiss. Minor, but as a DM I’d want it. -0.25.
I’d be curious to know which familiar you picked from the Obtain Familiar feat. No penalty, but the choice does give some minor bonuses. Since you don’t specify, I can’t take it into consideration.
You seem to have cheated yourself out of some skill points. As a Bard, you’re getting 6 + Int (=9). As a human, you get +1 per level (10). And with Nymph’s Kiss, you’d be getting an extra 1 per level, for a total of 41 at first and 11 for each level after that. No penalty, but you really could have used it for something like Use Magic Device to give yourself more versatility. (The Melodic Casting feat would have helped with that, as well; taking it instead of Eschew Materials at first - or moving Eschew forward and removing one of the other feats - would have freed up the skill points from Concentration for anything else useful).
We have a build with more than one Profession skill! +0.5.
The brief fluff description really gives a good sense of who the character is, and it matches up extremely well with the mechanics. +1.

General note: between the table formatting, omitting important things like the character’s race, and the lack of source references, you did not make judging this build easy. We only had six entrants, but I would not have liked to go through that for each of them (and some competitions have a lot more than six entrants). I haven't assessed any penalties for this, but please keep it in mind if you submit to other competitions.

Totals:
High Chantress Bellina: 11.85
Horatio Figbottom: 12.0
Meranda Morwelschild: 12.25
Brewmaster Barleybeard: 13.25
Archie Karas: 13.75
Bael-Ver: 15.5

I'd like to nominate Horatio Figbottom as the Honorable Mention. I love the concept, and it's not often that you get an NPC class submitted to a contest like this.

sakuuya
2014-09-20, 10:40 PM
Hooray, judgement! Thank you Telonius mysterious Judge A! :smallwink:

heavyfuel
2014-09-20, 10:46 PM
Oh man... You know you've been busy as hell when you have to mail the Chairman an errata containing some more than crucial information, even then I forgot to add a race (although yes, it should have been Human)

Sigh... Maybe next time I'll have more time to put up the build properly

Sian
2014-09-21, 02:56 AM
I'd Suggest throwing a Calculator at the total score for Build 3, I only get it to 11.75

OMG PONIES
2014-09-21, 07:02 AM
And now, a word on disputes from your friendly chair:

I run disputes a little different that previous Iron Chef rounds: it's really for correcting something a judge totally misread in the rules, criteria that are applied inconsistently, reworking arithmetic errors, and the like. I've found that differences of opinion or disagreements on subjective topics or things not presented in the initial entry don't propel the conversation forward, but just get us mired down most of the time. I hope that sounds fair, but please let me know if you have any questions.

With that, we've got our first disputes, friends:

Dispute #1

As a Divine Bard, your primary casting stat is Wisdom, not Charisma. Charisma still determines the DC, but quite a few of your spells are spells aren’t offensive ones.

Divine Bard only uses Wisdom for figuring out the highest spell level you can cast, Charisma still counts for bonus spells and the like, so other than having it beyond 10+highest spell level Wisdom aren't anywhere near as important as Charisma

Judge A, could you please clarify the above comment given that Belina maintains the required 15 WIS to cast her spells of up to 5th level?

EDIT: I apologize, but I have a few more matters to ask about:

Dispute #2
First, re: Brewmaster Barleybeard's dwarfy choice of Profession: Brewer vis a vis Belina's equally dwarfy choice of miner...

Profession: Brewer is not an obvious choice, since it doesn’t have any particular mechanical benefit other than the usual skill checks. Still, it’s fairly normal; as you mention, it is in the PHB’s list. So the component itself was not off-the-wall surprising. +1.

For the Profession, Miner doesn’t typically have any mechanical benefits, but there’s not much more stereotypically Dwarf-y than mining (with the possible exceptions of drinking and having a Scottish accent). +0.25.
Since the comments given for each are fairly similar (and they're both pretty darn dwarfy), can you please either clarify the reason for the difference in bonuses or award the same bonus to each build?

Dispute #3
Also, regarding Belina and Bael-Ver both being kissed by nymphs, but being afraid to commit:

Nymph’s Kiss is one area where I tend to be kind of strict for the roleplaying requirement. The requirement is to maintain an intimate relationship with a good-aligned Fey. Intimate does not necessarily mean “physical,” but a one-time meeting (even a very meaningful one) doesn’t quite qualify. This is kind of a minor quibble and would be easily fixed with a slight change in backstory; but I have to judge on what’s there, not what could be there. -0.15.

Two minor quibbles here. First, Nymph’s Kiss. Like several of the other feats in BoED, it’s a feat with a roleplay requirement. If I were presented with this character as a DM, I’d want that intimate relationship to be more than something in the background that’s never mentioned or developed until you need a skill point, especially given the Vow of Chastity at 20. (“Intimate” doesn’t necessarily mean physically intimate, but I’d want some kind of explanation there). Given this build and backstory, it would be really easy to add it in: the significant other he’s sworn to defend, or maybe even another member of the party who’s playing a Fey race. But as written, it’s not there. -0.25.

Belina only received a -.15 penalty for use of Nymph's Kiss while Bael-Ver received a -.25 penalty. Thus, I would ask that Bael-Ver's penalty be changed to only -.15 to maintain consistency.

Dispute #4

I'd Suggest throwing a Calculator at the total score for Build 3, I only get it to 11.75
Indeed, the totals listed for each category add up to 11.75. However, when I examined the baseline scores listed in the judge's criteria and the individual bonuses/penalties presented inside each spoiler, I found that Horatio's Build Stability score is listed at 3.5 while the baseline is 3 and the only change listed in the spoiler is a +1 for backstory. Thus, if the line items are to be followed, Horatio's Build Stability score is actually a 4, bringing his total to 12.25 rather than the 12 listed. Judge A, which is correct: the 11.75 total of categories, the 12 presented, or the 12.25 total of baselines and line items?

Telonius
2014-09-22, 01:03 PM
To dispute #1 - Absolutely correct - totally mixed up the order on that. Adjust the power up by 0.25.

Dispute #2 - I was going back and forth on that one myself. My reasoning was that, while Dwarves and drinking alcohol do go hand-in-hand, I wouldn't expect every dwarf to be a brewer specifically. It would certainly make sense that there are Dwarvish brewers, and that they'd be held in high esteem; still, it's not something I'd expect Random Dwarf #5 to know how to do. But in a really significant part of dwarvish lore, from Snow White's Seven on down to Thorin's Thirteen, Dwarves have mining backgrounds; to the point that it would almost be unusual for one not to have some kind of familiarity. Just about as unusual for a dwarf to not enjoy his alcohol. It might be too thin of a hair to split, though - Does a +.5 to Bellina sound reasonable?

Will get to the others later (or as soon as boss stops looking over shoulder).

OMG PONIES
2014-09-22, 08:36 PM
+0.5 to Belina sounds reasonable to me. Also, hate to keep them rolling in:

Dispute #5

Thank you for judging, anonymous Judge A!

Unfortunately the starting ability scores go over the point buy limit. They’re 2 over, at 34. Penalty of –0.5.

You appear to be in error. As stated in the writeup, the starting stats include racial adjustments (+2 Con, -2 Cha for a Dwarf). So not counting the racial adjustments, the starting stats are:

Str - 10 (2 points)
Dex - 12 (4 points)
Con - 14 (6 points)
Int - 14 (6 points)
Wis - 16 (10 points)
Cha - 12 (4 points)

2+4+6+6+10+4 = 32

My apologies if this was written in a confusing manner.

Telonius
2014-09-23, 11:12 AM
To dispute #3 - Bael-Ver's submission doesn't mention any relationship with Fey at all; it's there merely as a mechanical device. That's the case for both Bael-Ver and Archie, and I'd deducted 0.25 for both of those builds. Bellina's doesn't quite have what I'd want, but it at least gives a nod to the RP requirement by mentioning her relationship with a Gloura; so I didn't deduct the full amount. (Compare it to Horatio, where his relationship with the Fey was a significant part of the backstory).

Dispute #4 - Ack, math fail. I'd been going back and forth on the Stability score, and ended up screwing it up in two different places. Stability should be 4.0, total score should be 12.25.

Dispute #5 - Correct, I'd missed that. Penalty goes away, Stability goes up to 4.5, total score goes up to 13.75.

No worries about the disputes, don't want to short anybody unintentionally!

OMG PONIES
2014-09-23, 09:00 PM
Thanks for responding, Telonius er, mysterious Judge A!

Sian
2014-09-25, 01:08 AM
How is it going for Judge B & C?

sideswipe
2014-09-25, 06:19 AM
How is it going for Judge B & C?

judge redacted is nearly done. (me)

sideswipe
2014-09-25, 07:40 AM
just recieved word that the judge i mentioned should be done tonight but very late.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-25, 08:39 AM
just recieved word that the judge i mentioned should be done tonight but very late.

Huzzah for Judge [REDACTED]!

dysprosium
2014-09-25, 08:46 AM
I had to say that I chuckled at the code names for the judges this round. Mysterious Judge A and Judge [redacted].

WhamBamSam
2014-09-25, 10:50 AM
I probably won't get judging in on this one. Sorry guys. I didn't get to it last week and then this week ended up being busier than expected.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-25, 12:18 PM
I probably won't get judging in on this one. Sorry guys. I didn't get to it last week and then this week ended up being busier than expected.

Man, and here you were going to be Judge XXXXX. All good, though.

sideswipe
2014-09-26, 08:02 PM
just got word that Judge redacted has finished his judging, and that he will submit it to the chair to maintain him being anonymous.

sakuuya
2014-09-26, 10:41 PM
It's impressive how much you know about judge [redacted]'s activities, sideswipe. You must be really plugged in to the rumor mill! :smallbiggrin:

sideswipe
2014-09-27, 07:17 AM
hey ponies is on. i wonder if he will post....

sideswipe
2014-09-27, 06:30 PM
ok i'm tired of waiting.

scores - (start at 1)

Brewmaster Barleybeard- 15.5

originality - 3.75
the only cleric build, and using a 3.0 class that i never see being used. the main shtick being that you create potions or "beers" and use those as buffs. +1
the race is not the greatest for a cleric, but not bad. though use of its better features is restricted it was not an obvious choice +1
however a dwarf brewer being not original but flavourful and imaginative with the components +1
unfortunately, another buffer, we have a few of those this round... -0.5
+0.25 for not using nymphs kiss!

power - 4
full cleric casting with extra slots on the high level scale, this is a big factor +1.5
the cleric list is great for someone going vow of peace,lots of nice debuffs and non damaging ways to end combat so the boosts form your vows work really well +1
intuitive attack only works in melee, not ranged, your not built for melee so i don't see why you have it. you seem to want to get up close but have no real reason to,
you also have a very low base attack, below a normal cloistered cleric! -0.5
your big thing with potions, you can essentially "save" a single high level spell slot each day for another day in the form of a potion, this increases your already versatile T1 caster +1

use of components - 3.5
wonderworker actually increases your power, some other builds make it suffer or cause loss of gaining higher level spells, but you actually gain a lot more then you would otherwise +1
you use a suggested profession and you take it to 23 ranks, +1. though it feels like its a skill tax for fluff rather than a crucial point, as your really using craft alchemy, -0.5
the bonus feats from wonderworker are used flavour-fully and increase the builds power whilst keeping in character. +1

build stability - 4.25
qualifies for all classes and feats +1
excellent fluff (though short) and character feel +1
few books used and no dips +0.5
you do not mention what energy type you are substituting or why it is effective -0.25
you do not mention what spells are most useful and why you would use them, cleric is a very large list, so no real direction -0.25
it is claimed that you can make potions faster, this is true for churning out low level potions, but you still have a cap of 1000gp per day for your multiple potions, so if your first potion is more than that you cannot make another. this means you do not get the benefit of churning out 7/8/9 level potions multiple a day -0.25
unearthed arcana used for the variant class -0.5
no questionable rules used +1
finishes master alchemist +1

High Chantress Belina - 9

originality - 1.65
one of the three bard variants used, out of 6. -0.5
one of the many buffers -0.5
one of two singing or vocal buffers out of 6, its a shame, i really liked this build -0.25
after your 3 bard levels though all your classes are unique and keep in character with your build and the way it functions, no strange dips, though many dips. +1
considering you cast off charisma you are using a dwarf, a variant, but a dwarf. that's unusual 0.5
nymphs kiss used on 5/6 builds, but since you actually mention a fey i will give you a very small penalty -0.1
i liked the mix of seeker songs, chanting and bardic music, +0.5

power - 2.5
5th level bard casting is losing a level (+1-0.25)=+0.75
many many extra uses for your spare bardic musics to increase versatility, +0.5
or to dump many uses into a single thing and make it very strong, upping the power ceiling above the norm +0.5
all musical abilities synergies well and can be used simultaneously using your abilities +0.5
spells are versatile and well chosen, this helps prepare you for things your singing cannot +0.25

use of components - 2.25
the profession skill was used reasonably well, though it does not feel like it is a core point of the build, a lot of the abilities are great at buffing it,
but they are great at buffing things other than it too. it feels as if its a nice side effect that you are an amazing miner and not a focus so only a +0.5 (+1 and -0.5)
wonderworker gives many slots as is intended, but if you did not take it you would have gained 6th level bard casting, this makes it feel like wonderworker is a tax rather than a real class -0.5
some spells give a bonus or very fluffy reasons for being a better miner +0.25
your wonderworker bonus feats are very flavourful and increase your power and versatility +1

build stability - 2.6
qualifies for all classes and feats (penalty for nymphs kiss already included) +1
shorter fluff but it does explain the character +0.1
chanting and seeker songs put as bardic music, they may effectually be so but are not. so anything that states bardic music like words of creation cannot be used to benefit them. -0.5
says level progression is 3 / 2 / 10 / 2 / 3 but actually is 1 / 2 / 2 / 5 / 2 / 5 /3. this does not look elegant -0.5
no questionable rules used (except as mentioned before) +1
finishes dwarven chanter +1
unearthed arcana used for alternate class - 0.5

Horatio Figbottom- 16.25

originality - 5
i'm sorry i love this character concept, it shares no classes outside the components exemplar was what i was going to use and i thought more would have done, but still its unique +1
halfling used not for its mechanical uses but its fluff of being carefree and joyful +1
everything taken for fluff reasons, with great fluff +1
nymphs kiss... if you didn't have a brilliant and extensive reason for having it i would knock you down for it. -0
on top of unique classes i will give +0.5 for the use of an npc class.
on top of all things taken for fluff reasons, there is nothing taken out of character to increase strength,
there is usually something that someone fits in that is a power move only and sort of breaks a character, not this build +0.5

power - 2.75
2 levels of casting missing from a half casting list (+1-0.5) +0.5
skill versatility and all of his powerful skills can be used in place of diplomacy in different ways. so both a face and a skill monkey + 0.5
an outsider in the end +0.25
many feats set on survivability and has ways of boosting his saves high, good because his saves suck, so no penalty for sucky saves,
can buff party skills with his own versatility +0.5

use of components - 3.5
does not finish wonderworker -1
wonderworker actually increases spellcasting ability over straight adept 10, +1
exemplar gives new uses for the profession skill +0.5
all skills other than profession farmer are taken to improve his farming or other "outdoors" skills +0.5
all feats and the "feel" of the character play up the exalted nature of the wonderworker, more-so then other builds +0.5
profession skill taken to 23 ranks +1

build stability - 5
qualifies for all feats and classes +1
great fluff, not just reasons for taking feats and classes, but a real story! +1
finishes exemplar +1
few books with no dips+0.5
does not mention his familiar at all -0.25
sorry ... capped at 5

Bael-Ver - 14.25

originality - 3
a raptoran in a defensive role is very new +1
though a VOP build with a raptoran is not so much -0.5
classes are very unique, savant was not something i expected. +1
... nymphs kiss -0.25
so many builds this round are buffers, but none in the way that beal-ver is +0.75 but still a buffer -0.5
can self sacrifice to heal others, this fits in with his concept +0.5

power - 4.5
9th level casting but from a reasonably restricted list +1.25
Bael-Ver is a really great tank, its a very hard role in 3.5, but he does it well +0.5
has the best base saves from all the builds +0.25
a lot of abilities that help in different situations, increases versatility + 0.5
the spell list really works well for a support character +1

use of components - 4.5
wonderworker taken at the point of increasing highest level spellcasting and the exalted nature of the class is accented as a self martyr for others benefits.+1
the profession is taken all the way to the top +1, but not really utilised at all -0.5
all of the abilities of the build are designed to accent the profession +1
profession taken to 23 ranks +1

build stability 2.25
-qualifies for all classes and feats +1
... though no mention of fey at all for nymphs kiss -0.25
no prestige classes apart form components are taken to the end +0 though you do fully progress apostle casting so i will give you +0.25
over dipping in my opinion, there isn't really a base for the build, it just sort of starts at apostle of peace -0.5
there are fluff reasons for everything taken +0.25
savant with its "all skills class skills" and its travelling "a bit of everything" feel is a factotum -0.5

Meranda Morwelschild - 11.75

originality - 2.25
feytouched is very unique, though it is reasonably suited for a bard +1
one of the three bard variants used, out of 6. -0.5
one of the many buffers -0.5
one of two singing or vocal buffers out of 6 -0.25
have to say i love the exalted pirate idea, though i don't know how you would role play it +1
unique prestige classes used +0.5
kissing nymphs is fully explained, so no penalty -0

power - 3.25
casting from a half list with 2 level drops (+0.5 total)
feats to increase versatility or power of bardic casting and abilities +0.25
stormsinger increases the versatility of your bardic music further a lot +0.5
you have passive buffing and to a large margin, you are great in your fluffed leader role +0.5
on the sea you have a lot of abilities that let you control weather, this is limited but very useful in your chosen "environment" +0.25
spells accent your abilities and allow you to be competent out of your chosen role +0.25

use of components - 4.5
wonderworker is again used very well and increases spellcasting well, but you lose a potential for 5th level casting with it +0.5
bonus for using wonderworker in a very weirdly exalted build, an exalted pirate... +0.5
the only profession used with RAW uses, some others are required, but profession sailor actually has rules that are not specific to a single classes single use. +1
profession taken to 23 ranks +1
profession sailor if a core part of the build, and the build feels that it actually fits in with it rather than a side effect. +0.5

build stability - 1.75
-qualifies for all classes and feats +1
you start two prestige classes but do not finish them, even in essence +0
bardic knack feels too much like the factotums ability cunning knowledge -0.25
unearthed arcana used for alternate bard -0.5
LA buy off used -0.5
the dipping is borderline, but since all of them are very flavourful i will not penalise.
the story of the character gives a strong feeling like this was designed to be played +1

Archie Karas- 12.5

originality - 2.5
wow a bard!... i'm sorry, this one is at least a normal bard. -0.5
though he has bard buffs, its not the focus so no deduction
raceless. what an interesting race, i deciphered quite easily it was human, but still. pretty plain 0 unique, but due to not mentioning it i will not give points.
nymphs kiss -0.25
fatespinner, that's original +0.5 and no one went sublime chord +0.25
i do love the idea of a luck based character, and 4th wall breaking can be done very well +1
a lot of the things were taken only for fluff reasons, he really is a built gambler +0.5

power - 5
9th level casting from the strongest list (though missing the lower level spells) +1
full bard casting to make up for this lower level missing spells +0.75, (so a total of +1.75)
concealed spellcasting and other tricks from spell tricks allows spellcasting to be more socially versatile, as well as feats like still spell +1
extra wonderworker spell slots allow him to use them to cast higher level sublime chord spells with versatile spellcaster +0.5
re-rolls and even enemy forced re-rolls allow you to negate some bad luck in game +0.5
at later levels he becomes a little bit of a diplomancer and gains aspects of being a party face +0.25

use of components - 3.5
profession skill is actually a prerequisite for fatespinner +1
2 profession skills at 23 ranks, one main and a secondary +1.5
wonderworker is taken "because i had to" +0 for the whole component.

build stability - 1.5
here we go....
no sources at all -0.5
no mention of the fey at all -0.25
no mention of your familiar -0.25
qualifies for all classes +0.5 (not feats as said below)
does not take fatespinner to the end +0
you do progress sublime chord casting to the end, though not the class so +0.25
bonus exalted feat taken illegally as stated in one of the many questions in the thread. bonus exalted feats only from BoED and not other sources. -0.25
the character feel flavourful and well thought out with great fluff +1
note: i really wanted to like this character. but its excessive lack of any details was a real factor.

honourable mention is definitely figbottom!

sakuuya
2014-09-28, 09:57 AM
J-j-judge [redatcted]! You were secretly sideswipe this whole time?! :smalleek:

For real, though, thanks for judging!

sideswipe
2014-09-28, 10:05 AM
j-j-judge [redatcted]! You were secretly sideswipe this whole time?! :smalleek:

For real, though, thanks for judging!

duhm-duhm-duuuuuuuhhhhhmmmmmm!

OMG PONIES
2014-09-29, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Judge sideswipe [redacted]! So far I've got but one more dispute:

Dispute #6

I was hoping to gain some clarity of comments made by Judge [Redacted]. Under 'build stability' it was mentioned

savant with its "all skills class skills" and its travelling "a bit of everything" feel is a factotum -0.5

over dipping in my opinion, there isn't really a base for the build, it just sort of starts at apostle of peace -0.5

Unless I'm reading something wrong, it doesn't seem as though both of those penalties could exist in the same build.
So, my question is, does my build feel like a factotum? Or does it not really have a base and "just sort of starts at apostle of peace"?

Thank you for your (re)considerations.

Judge [redacted], could you please provide any insight into providing the two comments above? From the Chairman's perspective, I would advise not deducting builds that feel like a factotum, but only builds that actually used factotum. However, I do not want to force you into a particular perspective, just giving my 2 cp.

With that said, we've less than 10 hours until the end of this round! Next round's ingredients are being chosen as we speak.

dextercorvia
2014-09-29, 08:36 AM
With that said, we've less than 10 hours until the end of this round! Next round's ingredients are being chosen as we speak.

As a spectator with aspirations, I say WOOT! to this.

dysprosium
2014-09-29, 08:43 AM
As a spectator with aspirations, I say WOOT! to this.

I second the WOOT!

Muggins
2014-09-29, 09:51 AM
This was definitely an interesting set of components, and I'm looking forward to the next round. We haven't had two five-level classes yet! :smallbiggrin:

Deadline
2014-09-29, 09:56 AM
This was definitely an interesting set of components, and I'm looking forward to the next round. We haven't had two five-level classes yet! :smallbiggrin:

We literally had that last round. :smallwink:

Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler.

sakuuya
2014-09-29, 10:02 AM
We literally had that last round. :smallwink:

Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler.

Maybe Muggins blocked that round out. I wouldn't blame 'em.

Deadline
2014-09-29, 10:07 AM
Maybe Muggins blocked that round out. I wouldn't blame 'em.

EL CHUPACABRA will grip your fears and feelings of dread and twist them into submission! You are free from your memory block, thanks to the strength and skill of EL CHUPACABRA! :smalltongue:

Muggins
2014-09-29, 10:23 AM
EL CHUPACABRA will grip your fears and feelings of dread and twist them into submission! You are free from your memory block, thanks to the strength and skill of EL CHUPACABRA! :smalltongue:
Silly me. I even competed in that round! I even won that round! What's wrong with me? :smallannoyed:

..Doesn't mean we can't expect more peculiar match-ups. OMG PONIES seems to know what he's doing!

dextercorvia
2014-09-29, 10:43 AM

I raise you one. How about 2 10 level PrCs. :smallamused: That would force some tough choices.

sakuuya
2014-09-29, 10:46 AM
I raise you one. How about 2 10 level PrCs. :smallamused: That would force some tough choices.

This would actually be pretty great. Tough to judge, though.

sideswipe
2014-09-29, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Judge sideswipe [redacted]! So far I've got but one more dispute:

Dispute #6

Judge [redacted], could you please provide any insight into providing the two comments above? From the Chairman's perspective, I would advise not deducting builds that feel like a factotum, but only builds that actually used factotum. However, I do not want to force you into a particular perspective, just giving my 2 cp.

answer to the dispute.

i feel like the forbidden ingredient should not be used in essence as well as in the actual build. so since the savant class is a different flavour of factotum in my opinion, its fluff is similar, it has both arcane and divine and all skills class skills, it warrants a small reduction for using it.

you dipped most of the build, there was no real basis for it until apostle of peace. so they both can exist.

you dipped a lot AND one of the dips is essentially but not literally the forbidden component.

OMG PONIES
2014-09-29, 08:33 PM
OMG PONIES seems to know what he's doing!

Excellent, you've failed your Will save against my illusion...

answer to the dispute.

i feel like the forbidden ingredient should not be used in essence as well as in the actual build. so since the savant class is a different flavour of factotum in my opinion, its fluff is similar, it has both arcane and divine and all skills class skills, it warrants a small reduction for using it.

you dipped most of the build, there was no real basis for it until apostle of peace. so they both can exist.

you dipped a lot AND one of the dips is essentially but not literally the forbidden component.

While I personally disagree with the "essence" opinion, as Chair I'll fight to the death for your right to hold that opinion :smallbiggrin:.

Dispute #7:

unearthed arcana used for alternate bard -0.5

Alternate classes are generally considered legal UA material, as they don't constitute an alternate rules system...Belina and Barleybeard were also dinged for using variant classes, so if you increase Meranda's score on this point, please increase theirs as well.
As Meranda pointed out, the only things from UA expressly disallowed are as follows:

Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and fractional saves are not allowed...
Variant classes from Unearthed Arcana are allowed. Can you please revisit your scoring for the three builds mentioned with that in mind?

Dispute #8:

LA buy off used -0.5

LA buyoff, on the other hand, is an alternate rules system, but it's one that's explicitly allowed in JW (up to a point). The chairman didn't copy the post with that rule in it to this round, but said in-thread that it applies...Since Meranda's LA is +1, she pays it off at ECL 4 for 3000 XP, well within the bonus XP allotted.

Indeed I did.

Sounds good, then. 200,000 XP for everyone!
With this in mind, can you please review your score on this point?

Dispute #9:

you do not mention what energy type you are substituting or why it is effective -0.25

I'm assuming this refers to his Nonlethal Substitution feat. That feat doesn't substitute an energy type in, it changes a damaging spell so that it deals nonlethal damage. So a Nonlethal Flamestrike does half fire, half divine damage and all of it is nonlethal.

As to how that is advantageous, his vows give a boost to the Save DCs of spells that are non-damaging or inflict nonlethal damage.
Judge Redacted, can you please review the Chef's comments and clarify?

Though our Big Reveal Time has passed, we'll allow Judge Redacted to respond to the above disputes since they were submitted before the deadline. No additional disputes or judges will be posted, though, since the deadline has officially passed. Fair enough?

sakuuya
2014-09-29, 08:51 PM
Though our Big Reveal Time has passed, we'll allow Judge Redacted to respond to the above disputes since they were submitted before the deadline. No additional disputes or judges will be posted, though, since the deadline has officially passed. Fair enough?

Works for me. Can we get a hint about next round, though?

OMG PONIES
2014-09-29, 08:53 PM
Works for me. Can we get a hint about next round, though?

Metamagic.

sakuuya
2014-09-29, 08:58 PM
Metamagic.

There is not an eek smiley in the world big enough to express my feelings. Looking forward to it!

sideswipe
2014-09-29, 09:08 PM
dispute 7 -
my bad, i always thought that unearthed arcana material was "unflavourful" in these contests and i have always treated it as such, but if in junkyard wars it is fine i retract all penalties related to just using alternate classes.

barleybeard now at 16.0
belina now at 9.5
Meranda now at 12.25

all scores are +0.5 to build stability.

dispute 8 -

another 0.5 to build stability for meranda bringing her to 12.75

again this was because i have never played in a game with or allowed LA buyoff, whether you gave the extra XP or not (for crafting and other things) its a variant rule that does not create a level playing field. and i feel it warrents a deduction whole heartedly. but since the chair has explicitly told me to change this then i am going to for that reason only. i really really am against this with every fibre of my being.

dispute 9

this was a hysterical miss-reading on my part.
+0.25 point rewarded to barleybeard.
now at max of 5 for build stability and a total of 16.25

revised scores

barleybeard 16.25
belina 9.5
horatio 16.25
bael-ver 14.25
Meranda 12.75
archie 12.5

Muggins
2014-09-29, 10:45 PM
Here, have a table of scores!

Name
Judge Telonius
Judge Sideswipe
Total Score

Brewmaster Barleybeard

Rael-Ver

Horatio Figbottom

Archie Karas

Meranda Morwelschild

High Chantress Belina

Deadline
2014-09-29, 11:50 PM
Muggins, you appear to have missed the adjusted scores from Telonius' disputes for pretty much everyone. It shakes up the rankings quite a bit.

Muggins
2014-09-30, 12:08 AM
Muggins, you appear to have missed the adjusted scores from Telonius' disputes for pretty much everyone. It shakes up the rankings quite a bit.
I'd assumed that Telonius had gone back and updated his original scores, but apparently not.

Also, from what I can find, the only placing change is between Vael-Ver and Brewmaster Barleybeard. Everyone else is basically as they were.

Telonius
2014-09-30, 06:13 AM
Sorry, the post was made by the Chairman, I couldn't edit.

sideswipe
2014-09-30, 06:20 AM
has anyone else noticed that in both of muggins posts he mis-spelled bael-ver lol

OMG PONIES
2014-09-30, 06:40 AM
again this was because i have never played in a game with or allowed LA buyoff, whether you gave the extra XP or not (for crafting and other things) its a variant rule that does not create a level playing field. and i feel it warrents a deduction whole heartedly. but since the chair has explicitly told me to change this then i am going to for that reason only. i really really am against this with every fibre of my being.

While I'm personally not a fan of using LA buyoff either, it was a carryover from previous rounds of Junkyard Wars, and coming in fresh I didn't want to chop too much. Now that I've got one round under my belt though, three things I want to discuss chopping:

The extra XP: would it ruin everyone's day if I just set the XP to 190,000 as normal for a 20th-level character?
Build Stability. Any qualms with just using the same scoring criteria as the other Iron Chef to make it an easier transition for potential judges?
"Anonymous" judging: I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but it just felt clunky. Any concerns with judges posting their own criteria, scores, and responses to disputes? The disputes themselves would still come through the Chair.

There is not an eek smiley in the world big enough to express my feelings. Looking forward to it!

Just remember that you said that, okay?

I'd assumed that Telonius had gone back and updated his original scores, but apparently not.

Yeah Telonius, mysterious Judge A get it together! Jeez...

Sorry, the post was made by the Chairman, I couldn't edit.

...:smallredface:.

Hey, on a totally different subject, let's reveal our brave competitors!

In first place, Brewmaster Barleybeard by Deadline!
In second place, Bael-Ver by Macabaret!
In third place, Horatio Figbottom by Deadline, who also receives Honorable Mention!
In fourth place, Archie Karas by heavyfuel!
In fifth place, Meranda Morwelschild by sakuuya!
In sixth place, High Chantress Belina by Sian!

Next round will be starting in a jiff...

sideswipe
2014-09-30, 06:57 AM
actually both judges gave horatio the honerable mention. so its 3-1 for horatio.

sakuuya
2014-09-30, 07:42 AM
While I'm personally not a fan of using LA buyoff either, it was a carryover from previous rounds of Junkyard Wars, and coming in fresh I didn't want to chop too much. Now that I've got one round under my belt though, three things I want to discuss chopping:

The extra XP: would it ruin everyone's day if I just set the XP to 190,000 as normal for a 20th-level character?
Build Stability. Any qualms with just using the same scoring criteria as the other Iron Chef to make it an easier transition for potential judges?
"Anonymous" judging: I don't know if I was doing it wrong, but it just felt clunky. Any concerns with judges posting their own criteria, scores, and responses to disputes? The disputes themselves would still come through the Chair.

I'm fine with all of these, particularly the judging one. I understand why Kazudo did it (because of all the whining around one of the judge's critera for the Dwarven Defender IC round), but I also find it clunky. JW doesn't tend to attract the, uh, fervor that some people bring to IC, and it's not like the judging was very anonymous anyhow.

Just remember that you said that, okay?

Once again, why does this forum not have giant :eek:s for times like this??

OMG PONIES
2014-09-30, 07:52 AM
actually both judges gave horatio the honerable mention. so its 3-1 for horatio.

Ah, thank you for catching that. I think that would make it 2:1 in favor of Horatio rather than 3:1, but I'm not one to split hairs. :smalltongue:

OMG PONIES
2014-09-30, 08:42 AM
Get outta here, you derned kids! The party's moved to a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374504-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-VII-Metamagic-Feats-LA-Metamagic-Reducers!)!

Deadline
2014-09-30, 10:59 AM
Wow, congrats to all my fellow tinkerers! I'm kind of surprised I placed as well as I did, given the quality of the builds. I particularly liked Meranda Morwelschild! I'm glad everyone liked Horatio, he seemed pretty entertaining to me. I didn't do anything with his familiar, mainly because almost all of the things that advance familiars are either Arcane Spells, or require Arcane Caster Level, neither of which Horatio has (otherwise I'd have snagged Celestial Familiar at least). And the suggestion to make him a Favored Soul of Yondalla might have worked out better, but it treads dangerously close to "Why didn't you just take more Favored Soul?"

That said, now I kinda want to play the plucky little guy. :smalltongue:

And Barleybeard was a product of this thought process:
1. Labor day. What fantasy races are known for hard work?
2. Well, Dwarves are hard workers. Maybe I should make a Miner?
3. Wait! Profession Brewer? Dwarves are well known drinkers, someone has to be making booze.
4. Huh, Wonderworker requires spellcasting or psionics. Do dwarves have a god of beer?
5. Holy crap, they do! Ok, Cleric Brewer it is. Let's see. How do I tie that together?
6. Alternate material potions? Oh yeah, magic beer! And I can take Consecrate Spell as a joke to make his beer [Good] (get it? :smallbiggrin:) by the rules!
7. Hey, there was a potion equivalent of the Candle Caster in one of these books ... Aha! Master Alchemist! And look, there's one from Eberron too! No, wait, let's not mix setting materials, just take it easy and make the build first. If it is lacking, then maybe look to expand on that.