PDA

View Full Version : Good low level druid spells against a powerful melee opponent

JesusCraig
2014-08-31, 11:12 PM
I'm currently playing a pathfinder game and I'm going to be fighting a level 4 kensai magus with my level 4 druid. The magus has insanely high stats, giving himself a very high Dex and intelligence. I'm wondering what would be useful spells to kill him in an arena style fight (3 battles, one at close range, one at long range and one surprise. I have the feats spell focus conjuration, augment summoning and superior summoning. The kensai is a Dex based crit Fisher, with 6s on all saves. I have a DC of 16+ spell level.

Anyone have ideas on spells I can use to make these battles easier?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-31, 11:26 PM
Kelpstrand in Spell Compendium, it's a second level spell that grapples one or more opponents. Its grapple bonus is your BAB + your caster level + your Wis bonus, there's no saving throw and no SR.

Creeping Cold also from Spell Compendium with a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend deals 21d6 cold damage over six rounds. He'll get a Fort save for half damage each round, but even if he makes every save it can still deal lethal damage at that level.

Snowsight and Obscuring Snow in Frostburn each last an hour per level and automatically make it so he can't see you, but you can see him just fine. Share Snowsight with your animal companion or just cast it on it, and you shouldn't even need to worry about him ever touching you.

JesusCraig
2014-09-01, 01:19 AM
Thanks! Sorry I didn't mention it, I thought I had tagged it as a pathfinder game, I added it to the description now, sorry for wasting your time.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-01, 02:09 AM
Hmm, PF means no blinding spittle....

There is Burning Disarm. If he instinctively attempts to save against and and does, it's a minor victory. Save means dropping the weapon, failing or not taking it means taking a little fire damage. Voluntarily getting him to disarm is nice.

Entangle will help keep him away; Stone Call will do the same and deal a little damage. If only you were level 5, you could take the two metamagic reducer traits and unleash dazing spell on your stone calls as a level 3 spell... If you go the lock-down route, you can try to pepper him with snowball spells while hit and running, relying on its stagger effect to slow him down even more.
Since you're too low level to have multiple attacks anyway, plopping down a Flaming Sphere and moving it back on him each turn as a move might be worthwhile.

There is also resist energy, for defensive help. Magus relies on energy effects for a lot of its offense. You mainly need to worry about electricity (shocking grasp) and cold (frostbite, frigid touch, snowball).

Can you build specifically for this duel? If so, you might want Fortified Armor Training and carry some generic shields. The feat lets you negate a crit by breaking your shield, just might save your life...

Ultimately, it's in your best interests to keep the battle out of melee range as much as possible, you have way better options from far away than he does. Magus also has Color Spray, the most devastating (but short ranged) low level spell of all. Even with your high will save,that's an auto-lose if you fail... Riding a flying animal companion could be really handy if possible.