PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy and Skull-Gorge Bridge

Warlocknthewind
2014-09-01, 01:06 AM
I am redesigning the Red Hand of Doom campaign for my lower magic setting (no tier1-2), and I was trying to brain-storm ways for my PC's to be able to take out the bridge as expected. Reading the entry for the upteenth time I came to realise that Ozzy the Green Dragon likes to use fly-by attack with his breath weapon, dealing acid damage.. Which ignores hardness, yes? So.. Ozzy could take out the bridge himself if the PC's just kind of take it long enough while staying at on opportune position, allowing the area of effect of his breath attack melt it.

Is this a dupe that you think a young Green Dragon could fall for with his 12 int & 13 wis?
The only alternatives I could think of is heavy and lengthy application of Stone Dragon maneuvers, other acid damaging breath weapons, or the Invocation Baleful Utterance. There's no assurance of an Initiator/Warlock/Dragon Shaman being in the party. Can you think of any low-level ways of destroying a bridge stone bridge spanning a small canyon? Would simply pickin' away at it be at all practical?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-01, 01:16 AM
Well, you could give the players cues that the dragon's acid is damaging the stonework, and let them figure out how to trick the dragon into taking out the bridge himself.

Also, if you're removing all Tier 1 and 2 classes, well... The party won't have any effective spellcasters, and RHoD is built with a cleric/wizard/fighter/rogue party in mind. No wizards for blasting/BFC, so they're screwed when fighting lots of enemies at once. This can be resolved somewhat by reducing the number of mooks in each fight. But no cleric/druid? That leaves them with only natural healing. Even if every party member takes the Faster Healing feat from Complete Warrior and they have someone giving them long-term care, their hit point totals won't replenish fast enough to keep up with the timescale. Unless you heal them to full HP for free every time they get 8 hours' rest, they're shafted.

Warlocknthewind
2014-09-01, 09:22 AM
Oh, they have healing, just lower tier healing. Dragon-Shamans, Water Shugenja, Bards, Rangers, Paladins, and so on heal just as well as a cleric when it comes down to it. BFC is pretty darn simple.

I knew that I could describe the acid starting to melt the bridge, but wouldn't the dragon be like (I see what you did, ooh, you're sneaky) and then try & eat face, or drop dead soldiers on them?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-01, 10:11 AM
Oh, they have healing, just lower tier healing. Dragon-Shamans, Water Shugenja, Bards, Rangers, Paladins, and so on heal just as well as a cleric when it comes down to it. BFC is pretty darn simple.

I knew that I could describe the acid starting to melt the bridge, but wouldn't the dragon be like (I see what you did, ooh, you're sneaky) and then try & eat face, or drop dead soldiers on them?

Oh, okay. Forgot that Shugenja were down a tier due to lack of multi-book support, and also due to generally not being too great of a divine casting class. I keep thinking that I at least really liked the fluff for them, but then I remember their stuff was based on the four Western elements rather than the five used by the Wu Jen...

As a young green dragon, Ozzy has Int 12 and Wis 13. Better than your average peasant, but still low enough that if the PCs acted appropriately they could get him to hit the bridge a few times before he noticed. After all, he is using his breath attack mid-flight, so he won't be getting the best view of the bridge unless he takes a few rounds off to observe. Maybe have him hit the bridge two or three times regardless of what happens, then let the PCs make a collective bluff check (if they think to try) and depending on the result he could hit the bridge somewhere between zero and three more times before realizing how dumb he is.