PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spells of vital importance

lorddrake
2014-09-01, 08:10 AM
I have a question. In a mid to high optimization scenario, I want to create a batman wizard or something of the kind, but I'm limited to knowing all spells on the players' handbook (3.5) and five spells on any other official book.

Assuming level 20, my question is, which spells are the ones that one could not miss for a wizard?

And for a cleric?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-01, 08:28 AM
Ice Assassin and Mindrape are all that comes to mind. Shivering Touch, if you want it. Maybe one of the Orb of X spells. The Heart of X series. Most of the really broken spells are in core, so you already have them.
Which demonstrates nicely how futile restricting spell access to core is when your goal is preventing casters from breaking the game.

lorddrake
2014-09-01, 08:32 AM
Most of the really broken spells are in core, so you already have them.
Which demonstrates nicely how futile restricting spell access to core is when your goal is preventing casters from breaking the game.

In defence of the DM, the purpose of restricting these spells is not limiting power, since we can take in-game time to research any spell.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-01, 08:32 AM
Ice Assassin because it's borked as balls, Mindrape because it's also borked as balls, Spell Engine (the Spell Compendium one, not the MoF one) so you can reset your prepared spell list, Orb of Force because it's always good to have at least one damage spell, Shivering Touch to end fights in one round.

Urpriest
2014-09-01, 08:43 AM
Celerity might also be worthwhile to stir in there.

heavyfuel
2014-09-01, 08:43 AM
In a high op scenario I can't help but recommend the Twice Betrayer of Shar. It's easily my favorite build and can be adapted easily for Wizards, and be made better for Clerics with a single level of Spelldancer.

With that said, my recommendation is a Twinned Persisted Selective AMF. It's a core spell, but it relies on 3 non-core feats, so your DM might have a problem with it. If not, it's really that good

Urpriest
2014-09-01, 08:47 AM
In a high op scenario I can't help but recommend the Twice Betrayer of Shar. It's easily my favorite build and can be adapted easily for Wizards, and be made better for Clerics with a single level of Spelldancer.

With that said, my recommendation is a Twinned Persisted Selective AMF. It's a core spell, but it relies on 3 non-core feats, so your DM might have a problem with it. If not, it's really that good

Twice-Betrayer relies on a pretty long list of buffs. You can certainly pick up the AMF part of it with the OP's source restrictions, but the rest would be trickier. Still, Beastlands Ferocity+Favor of the Martyr is only two spells and covers a lot of ground.

heavyfuel
2014-09-01, 08:53 AM
Twice-Betrayer relies on a pretty long list of buffs. You can certainly pick up the AMF part of it with the OP's source restrictions, but the rest would be trickier. Still, Beastlands Ferocity+Favor of the Martyr is only two spells and covers a lot of ground.

Indeed the Twice Betrayer is more than the AMF, but I do think it's THE spell that defines the build, and with good reason. Spells (and similar) are the most powerful things in the game, and making it so that only you can cast them is pretty ridiculous