PDA

View Full Version : Basic rule question 5e - skills

Saintsqc
2014-09-01, 11:59 AM
I have a simple questions. I've done a quick research and I didnt find an answer to my question yet.

A background gives 2 skills proficiency. The folk hero have animal handling and survival.

A class can choose X skills among a list of Y skills with wich the PC is proficient. The figther chose 2 skills among a list (athletics, acrobatics, animal handling, intimidation, etc.).

So, my question is : Do a character is automatically proficient with skills from his background, or is it just put in the list of the available skills of the class ?

Is it option A :
Folk hero fighter is proficient with animal handling + survival + 2 skills among the list (athletics, acrobatics, etc.)

Or is it option B :
Folk hero fighter is proficient with 2 skills among the list (athletics, acrobatics, etc.). Animal handling and survival are added to the list.

Thanks for the help !

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-01, 12:04 PM
I have a simple questions. I've done a quick research and I didnt find an answer to my question yet.

A background gives 2 skills proficiency. The folk hero have animal handling and survival.

A class can choose X skills among a list of Y skills with wich the PC is proficient. The figther chose 2 skills among a list (athletics, acrobatics, animal handling, intimidation, etc.).

So, my question is : Do a character is automatically proficient with skills from his background, or is it just put in the list of the available skills of the class ?

Is it option A :
Folk hero fighter is proficient with animal handling + survival + 2 skills among the list (athletics, acrobatics, etc.)

Or is it option B :
Folk hero fighter is proficient with 2 skills among the list (athletics, acrobatics, etc.). Animal handling and survival are added to the list.

Thanks for the help !

Option A. Your Fighter is proficient in two skills from the list on page 72, and his Background grants him skill, tool or language proficiencies, depending on the Background. So an Outlander Fighter gets proficiency in Athletics, Survival and a Language of the player's choice, and proficiency in All Armors, Shields, Simple Weapons and Martial Weapons and two skills from the list on page 72.

Saintsqc
2014-09-01, 12:14 PM
Quick and accurate, thank you very much !

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-01, 01:47 PM
You're welcome!

jkat718
2014-09-02, 01:21 AM
Keep in mind that the PHB has this to say when talking about the proficiencies gained from Backgrounds:

If a character would gain the same proficiencies from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.

So, if you have overlap from your background and your class, you actually gain versatility, rather than losing it, because you can now choose any new proficiency.