PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslingers

HereBeMonsters
2014-09-01, 01:22 PM
Am I going crazy? Or did they change the gunslinger around a bit?
I thought all their guns shot within the first range increment went against touch Ac automatically? Now I go to read that they are all suppose to cost a grit point instead.

Range and Penetration: Armor, whether manufactured or natural, provides little protection against the force of a bullet at short range.

Early Firearms: When firing an early firearm, the attack resolves against the target’s touch AC when the target is within the first range increment of the weapon, but this type of attack is not considered a touch attack for the purposes of feats and abilities such as Deadly Aim. At higher range increments, the attack resolves normally, including taking the normal cumulative –2 penalty for each full range increment. Unlike other projectile weapons, early firearms have a maximum range of five range increments.

Advanced Firearms: Advanced firearms resolve their attacks against touch AC when the target is within the first five range increments, but this type of attack is not considered a touch attack for the purposes of feats such as Deadly Aim. At higher range increments, the attack resolves normally, including taking the normal cumulative –2 penalty for each full-range increment. Advanced firearms have a maximum range of 10 range increments.
- The Pathfinder SRD is where I got this, the Firearms Page.

Deadeye (Ex): At 1st level, the gunslinger can resolve an attack against touch AC instead of normal AC when firing beyond her firearm’s first range increment. Performing this deed costs 1 grit point per range increment beyond the first. The gunslinger still takes the –2 penalty on attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first when she performs this deed.
- The Pathfinder SRD, Gunslinger Page.

I am confused, so is there a difference?

Raven777
2014-09-01, 01:26 PM
The texts you quoted still say that firearm attacks resolve against Touch AC within the first range increment. Where do you read that it doesn't? Deadeye merely allows you to keep resolving against Touch at the second increment and beyond.

ArqArturo
2014-09-01, 01:35 PM
Well, that's new. I thought you required grit for Touch AC attacks at all.

HereBeMonsters
2014-09-01, 01:39 PM
Missed the word Beyond in there. Because that was what was messing me up.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-01, 01:41 PM
It really doesn't pay to skim rules text. It's bound to make you mess up somewhere.

HereBeMonsters
2014-09-01, 01:44 PM
Indeed it doesn't. Pity they errated the Pistolero ruling. Figured the increased damage was due to their small threat range.

Twilightwyrm
2014-09-01, 01:48 PM
Basic Firearms resolve within the first range increment (whatever it says under "range" for the firearm on the weapon table. You can fire at something a maximum of five range increments. So we'll show it like this. The bolded part is the part you can target touch AC in.
Basic Firearms: 1 2 3 4 5.
Advanced Firearms resolve as touch attacks against anything within 5x their listed range, and can shoot out to 10x it. So again:
Advanced Firearms: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Now with Deadeye Shot, for 1 grit point per increment, you can shoot beyond the listed increment. So (if we ignore RAW silliness for the moment) it would look something like this.
Basic Firearms w/ Deadeye (1 grit): 1 2 3 4 5
Basic Firearms w/ Deadeye (2 grit): 1 2 3 4 5
Advanced Firearms w/ Deadeye (1 grit)*: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Advanced Firearms w/ Deadeye (2 grit)*: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You can extrapolate from here.

*It is pretty clear Deadeye shot was written with basic firearms in mind as, by RAW, you would technically have to pay 1 grit per range increment beyond the first with Advanced Firearms, even though they can already hit up to five increments. If you plan to use Advanced Firearms with the Gunslinger class, talk to your DM about correcting this silliness.