PDA

View Full Version : superboy's death

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-08, 03:17 PM
Although I didn't read Infinite Crisis, I did read about it on Wikipedia. One thing was that Superboy (the modern one, Kon-El) died. I wondered what everyone's opinion on this was?

Personally, I wish they hadn't. I liked Superboy a lot. I liked the half-Superman, half-Luthor thing. I liked his 'Tactical Telekinesis' (after DC stopped overemphasizing it). I liked his romance with Wonder Girl. I thought that the future versions of him were really cool.

From what I read, his death fit the story very well. I know that it's annoying when some character dies and comes back, but...still. I kind of wish that someone would use a good and fitting way to bring him back. Maybe Luthor and Robin reclone him. I don't know, but I kind of wish he'd come back.

kamikasei
2007-03-08, 03:26 PM
I liked the character a lot. I thought his death was excellent. I think it would cheapen it to bring him back.

I also don't like the idea of 're-cloning' someone. Taking someone's DNA and making a clone from it does not and cannot resurrect them. There's have to be something sillier involved; see above re: cheapening.

Khantalas
2007-03-08, 04:52 PM
It's tactile telekinesis, not tactical.

I think.

UglyPanda
2007-03-08, 07:14 PM
I don't really care one way or the other about him. The only thing that makes it seem important in respect to the DC universe was that he was Superman's clone. I personally don't like how the DC universe views the most powerful characters as the most well-liked among the superheros. If you read the notes at the back of the hardcover for infinite crisis, you'll see that they originally planned to kill off Nightwing, but didn't want to upset too many people.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-03-08, 11:32 PM
I liked him, but his was a noble death that should not be tarnished with a resurrection.

ravenkith
2007-03-09, 10:44 AM
Kon-El, Conner Kent, Superboy....

He was vaguely interesting, but completely unnecessary.

Sad but true.

So if anyone on the Titans/Young Justice roster was going to bite it, DC was probably going to choose him.

While I liked some of the ideas behind the character, he was underutilized, underdeveloped, his powers were poorly conceived, and he very rarely did anything of true importance.

Him dying the way he did?

Best way a second-stringer like him could hope to go out.

The sad thing is, he was determined to 'live up' to the legend that is Superman, and his whole life-long goal was to come out from under the Big red 'S's shadow, and the only way for him to really do that, given the limitations of his powers and genetic heritage, is for him to die saving the universe and stay dead, doing the one thing Superman can't:

Give his life for a cause/others.

Baalzebub
2007-03-09, 06:43 PM
I liked the suit. Very original and very fitting for the name of Superboy.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-17, 10:54 AM
another question is:
will there be a new Superboy? Or will DC just focus on the new Supergirl for the same type of roles?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-17, 11:02 AM
I liked Superboy. He was an interesting hero with personality and a cool backstory. His death was right, though, and it would be a shame to bring him back any time in the near future to cheapen that.

I also like the idea that no matter how hard his friends try, and oh do they try, they can't seem to ressurect him. Here they are in a comic book, notorious for having characters that never truly die, and they can't bring back a particularly good hero who gave his life to save his friends. Sort of poetic.

ravenkith
2007-03-19, 12:17 PM
See with resurrection, I guess they have to want to come back....Kon-El was pretting self-loathing, towards the end there.

UglyPanda
2007-03-19, 01:43 PM
I have the feeling that four impostor Superboys come out of the woodwork, Superboy prime breaks out of the sun-eater, and then the real Superboy fights Superboy prime using a mother-box.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-19, 02:46 PM
Man, I hope not. I just bought a forty that I was gonna pour on the curb for my homeboy Supes Jr., cut down in his prime.

Hahaha. "Prime", get it?

Wooter
2007-03-19, 07:15 PM
I'm just tired of all the characters whining about it.

Hey Tim! What's the deal? Your long-term girlfriend died, and you didn't mourn her for even half this long.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-19, 08:34 PM
Superbro's before ho's, dude. Drake knows the deal.

UglyPanda
2007-03-19, 09:23 PM
Women in refrigerators syndrome. A side-effect is that death of male characters gets 500% more recognition than death of female characters. The good side is that women tend to gripe less once they've been brought back to life. The bad side is they rarely get brought back to life (Except phoenix, who refuses to stay dead despite a ten-digit body count).

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-20, 04:25 PM
Women in refrigerators syndrome. A side-effect is that death of male characters gets 500% more recognition than death of female characters. The good side is that women tend to gripe less once they've been brought back to life. The bad side is they rarely get brought back to life (Except phoenix, who refuses to stay dead despite a ten-digit murder figure).
and the original wonder girl. and wonder woman (I think).