PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Monk subclass

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-01, 02:06 PM
I was reading the Monk class and noticed that the class features of the monk would make a pretty decent Jedi or force-wielder. So I went ahead and created a subclass. The mechanics work identically to the Way of Four Elements monk, but with force-themed disciplines instead of elemental themed disciplines. Instead of Elemental Attunement, the monk receives Force Attuned and one other power it qualifies for at level 3, then chooses a new power at 6, 11, and 17.

Note that monks already get a lot of other jedi-like powers as class features (step of the wind, slow fall, deflect projectiles, and still mind cover most of the remaining canon jedi powers).

Extend Senses
The force extends your senses in all directions, giving you an uncanny ability to feel more than see your surroundings. You may spend 2 ki points as a bonus action to gain blindsight for one round out to a range of 30 feet, plus 10 feet for every additional ki point you spend.

Force Assault (requires level 17)
You can spend 5 ki points to cast bigby's hand.

Force Attuned
You gain the following abilities:
You can cast the mage hand and true strike cantrips if you did not know them already.
You know instinctively if any creature you can see has the ki class feature, and if you concentrate for a round, their Ki pool maximum.

Force Blade
When you use the attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to manifest a gleaming blade of force, which you are proficient with and counts as a monk weapon. The blade persists until the start of your next turn and deals force damage equal to your martial arts dice plus your wisdom or dexterity modifier, whichever is higher. The force blade scores a critical hit on a 19 or 20, and it deals an additional d10 radiant damage on a critical hit.

Force Block
You can spend 2 ki points to cast shield.

Force Choke (requires level 17)
You can use your action and spend 6 ki points to choke a creature with the power of the force. That creature makes a constitution saving throw. If it fails, it immediately begins to suffocate and may not hold its breath. On each of its turns, the target can make another constitution saving throw to end this effect. The effect also ends if you cease to concentrate on it, just as if you were concentrating on a spell.

Force Hold (requires level 6)
You can spend 3 ki points to cast hold person.

Force Hurl (Requires level 17)
You can spend 5 ki points to cast animate objects.

Force Lightning
You can spend 2 ki points to cast witch bolt.

Force Push
You can create a blast of force energy that strikes like a might fist. As an action you can spend 2 ki points and choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature makes a strength saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 3d10 bludgeoning damage, plus an additional d10 for each additional ki point you spend, and you can push the creature up to 20 feet away from you and knock it prone. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much bludgeoning damage and you do not push it back or knock it prone.

Mind Link (requires level 6)
You can spend 4 ki points to cast sending.

Mind Trick (requires level 6)
You can spend 3 ki points to cast suggestion.

Overwhelming Strike (requires level 11)
You can spend 4 ki points to cast staggering smite.

Sense Other (requires level 11)
You can spend 4 ki points to cast locate creature.

Telekentic Mastery (requires level 17)
You can spend 5 ki points to cast telekenisis.

Whirlwind Attack (requires level 11)
You can use your action and spend 4 ki points to attack every creature within 5 feet of you with a separate melee attack against each creature.

Theodoxus
2014-09-01, 02:27 PM
slick I likey

MadBear
2014-09-01, 02:44 PM
That's really well done. It seems like it captures the jedi feel nicely without being overpowered. Heck, this makes me want to play this class just reading the abilities (which is a sign of it feeling great).

Here, have a cookie for a job very well done. http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/giant-cookie-128319.jpg?1206104422

Yagyujubei
2014-09-01, 03:12 PM
That's really well done. I seems like it captures the jedi feel nicely without being overpowered. Heck, this makes me want to play this class just reading the abilities (which is a sign of it feeling great).

Here, have a cookie for a job very well done. http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/giant-cookie-128319.jpg?1206104422

this would absolutely be overpowered though...

MadBear
2014-09-01, 03:26 PM
this would absolutely be overpowered though...

the cookie or the class? The cookie absolutely, it is the heighth of power. The class, not at all.

(did you see the part that it acts like the 4 elements monk, you don't get all the powers, you pick them, the way the elemental monk does).

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-01, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the comments!

It would not be over-powered unless the elemental monk is over powered. I copied the template exactly and offered the exact same spell-level effects. The only exception is force choke, which offers minimum two saves and deals no damage on a passed save, making it strictly worse than quivering palm which comes one level later.

MadBear
2014-09-01, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the comments!

It would not be over-powered unless the elemental monk is over powered. I copied the template exactly and offered the exact same spell-level effects. The only exception is force choke, which offers minimum two saves and deals no damage on a passed save, making it strictly worse than quivering palm which comes one level later.

My guess was that they thought the class received ever single one of those abilities.

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-01, 03:33 PM
My guess was that they thought the class received ever single one of those abilities.

Yeah. I would definitely want every single one of those abilities, but in 5e, that would be OP.

I'd actually like suggestions on other level 17 effects. Bigby's Hand, Animate Objects, and Telekenesis feel a little redundant with one another.

rlc
2014-09-01, 05:40 PM
i'm actually not sure it really would be overpowered with all of that stuff and even a few more renamed spells, , but let's see if i can come up with something for level 17...

um, maybe something where you can send a message to a specific time and place? i guess that would be kind of similar to astral projection, but it wouldn't require you to be unconscious and your body doesn't actually go anywhere, so you'd just be sending a message. i think palpatine did something like that.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-01, 05:46 PM
That is remarkably nice.

My only quibble (and barely that) is Force Block as Shield. Because you know they Jedi do more fencing then forcefields. Though I'm not sure there's a better spell you could just plug and play. Maybe something more custom like a ki costing version of the Defensive Duelist feat or BM Fighter's Parry manuver?

In general... glorious.

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-01, 06:17 PM
That is remarkably nice.

My only quibble (and barely that) is Force Block as Shield. Because you know they Jedi do more fencing then forcefields. Though I'm not sure there's a better spell you could just plug and play. Maybe something more custom like a ki costing version of the Defensive Duelist feat or BM Fighter's Parry manuver?

In general... glorious.

Thanks! I think shield is a fine representation of the force block move. You can fluff it as manifesting your force blade and parrying whatever attack is incoming.

Also, if I were playing this class, I would probably take the martial adept feat to grab a couple maneuvers.

Durazno
2014-09-01, 06:31 PM
Palpetine-style battle meditation? (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_meditation) Though I'm not sure how this would be modelled in 5e. You'd probably spend an action and some ki give your allies immunity to or advantage against a host of abilities or status effects, then maintain it with concentration and a steady cost of ki?

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-02, 07:28 AM
I think I'll replace bigby's hand with hold monster. Either that or homebrew an ability that's a stronger version of force lightning. Is there a spell 5th level or lower that does lightning damage and stuns?

Durazno
2014-09-02, 05:14 PM
Two other cantrips that seem Jedi-y and could maybe be offered as choices when you get Force Attuned, or perhaps as separate abilities: Shocking Grasp and Message.