PDA

View Full Version : TW: Insurrection (IC Thread)

Thelonius
2014-09-01, 03:32 PM
Turn 1

The Sector 14 appears peaceful in the reports sent to the Core Systems, the resistance crushed, the local population obedient. But the reports made to please the far removed masters of USH are written to secure promotion and transfer, not to tell the truth. And it is not truth that Core Systems would be pleased to learn.

In the Triangle Systems those who must be pillars of support for the USH watch nervously at the corruption and weakness it displays. Among those who believe its message, there are those who follow only because of the generous bribes and even in the heart of USH, some begin to question their allegiance.

In the Commonwealth the oppressed population of the proud colony watches their oppressors with hatred, as they plunder the riches of the conquered systems. The people are cowed by the brutal repression, but not yet broken, waiting for the enemy to show any sign of weakness.

In the Wave Colonies the people of USH, who were promised new life and opportunity find themselves sacrificed by uncaring administration and chained by dysfunctional bureaucracy. As number of the dead grows, so does the resentment and desire for change.

And even in the neutral Rothschild, that has escaped much of the notice of the USH, it's people are not blind to what would happen to them, should USH decide to pay them more attention.

There's much anger and fear in the Sector 14, but as long as it remains unfocused and resistance is sporadic and scattered, USH has nothing to fear. As long as no leader emerges to rise the flag of rebellion...

Root System

Core Systems -> Central Military Command [Security 5]

Message 1: Prepare for arrival of UF Division Gamma, under command of UF Colonel, Ignacio Hall.

Message 2: Execute Plan Dogma.

New Commonwealth

Central Military Command -> Governor Daniel Smyte, Adrian Carr, Kelly Thornton [Courier Ship PM]

You are required to organize System Defence Force to maintain order in the system. I know the task is daunting considering the reports on the mood of the local, but I trust you shall handle it well. I do not wish malcontents armed with weapons, that they will turn on us at first opportunity, so I shall send an inspector from CMC to verify the quality of the recruits, before the formation of the System Defence Force is confirmed. It would be better to have incompetents then potential traitors.

I leave the choice of name to Governor Smyte.

Enternal Glory to USH
Sector Admiral, Zeke Petronel

Sources 1

There are rumors that Commonwealth Resistance is planning to organize mass protests and strikes against USH.

Sources 3

On the nets of New Commonwealth, the resistance is recruiting people from all sides of life as agents against USH.

Buron System

Central Military Command -> USS Conqueror, Admiral Clinton [Security 4]

Admiral Clinton.

Central Military Command approves recreational time for your senior staff in the Azure Oceans, Rothschild System.

Eternal Glory USH
Vice-Admiral, Glenn Steele

[OOC: You can approve vacations for two commodores and either yourself or Vice-Admiral Goodwin. Subject to revocation, if alert status for your Fleet goes up.]

Ascension System

Ascension Labs Message [Security 5]

I require more test subjects to facilitate the breakthrough. This time a selection should include somebody young enough to be still experiencing growth, to collect data on interaction of changing organism and implants.

H.

Rothschild System

Governor Grey -> Rothschild Council [PM]

Governor Grey has started a number of meetings with the Rothschild Council. It appears his objective is expansion of the Governor’s authority in the highly-autonomous system.

Governor Grey -> Gwen Luna, Rothschild Bureau of Information [Security 2]

Deputy Director Luna,

I shall be negotiating access to the Rothschild networks and security codes. I would like you to manage the expansion of information exchange and control in the system. Rothschild has enjoyed unprecedented amount of autonomy and I would feel more secure, if we have our fingers on the information flows in the system. I suspect that their underwater facilities have allowed them to understate the wealth of the system. Let’s bring them to surface.

Eternal Glory to USH
Roberto Grey

Brett Lawson -> Bureau of Information [Security 2]

I will be arriving to the system to conduct inspection on the nex Liner. I shall require assistance of a team of your technicians to look over information.

SE,
Brett Lawson

[The message include codes identifying Brett Lawson as agent of USHI, conducting official investigation].

Courier Ship to Gwen Luna (Bureau of Information) [PM]

A courier ship arrives with message - an unknown fleet attacked Kiel, destroying some orbitals, but failing to penetrate gravity shield to deliver planetary strikes. It’s currently suspected to be Terran Authority remnant.

Bureau of Information, Rothschild [Security 2]

To All SE,

I shall require your immediate presence for a meeting. This is an emergency, so bring your A game, so the stinker doesn’t explode.

Deputy Director Luna

Kiel System

Sources 0

It looks like a small pirate force has struck the system, trying to steal it's resources. They were chased away by the system patrol, but not before blowing up one of the orbital stations.

Sources 2

The ''small pirate force'' is bull****. It was a fairly sizable fleet and it chased the system patrol away. They tried to hit Chimera Division, but gravity shield got in the way.

Sources 4

That was Terran Authority Fleet! They tried to contact men on the ground - it appears the Fleet is commanded by Admiral Diana Cain.

Wave Colonies

Rumors:

There are hidden deposits of valuable minerals in one of the colonial systems. They aren't developed due to some arcane political considerations.

Governor of Victoria is brutally suppressing a protest by the workers. There is fighting on the streets, though rebels are losing handily.

Citadel was attacked by an unknown force, but all information is suppressed to prevent panic.

Victoria System

System Events [Sources 0]

Governor Murray has successfully broken a rebel organization, that was inciting unrest in the system. The data streams all across the system are filled with confessions of tortured cell members. The execution of the traitors will be televised on the colony founding day.

System Events [Sources 1]

The locals are angry and many believe that the arrested men are innocent. The atmosphere in Victoria is ugly and violence is bubbling close to the surface - ready to explode. Governor is blamed for the colony’s ills.

Maddox System

System Events [Sources 0]

Things are quiet on all fronts and there’s even talk of negotiations between the Founders and Republicans. The energy shortages persist in the system, but the food supplies hold. Jack Wolf has called for his followers to hold peaceful vigil for salvation of Maddox.

System Events [Sources 2]

The situation remains volatile, but the apparent peace is just that - peace. It appears none of the factions on Maddox are rallying to resume hostilities.

System Events [Sources 3]

Long-term the peace as likely to last as a comet caught by the sun.... Republicans and Sons of Liberty are most likely to start something.

razovor
2014-09-03, 04:50 PM
The Church of the Goddess:

Taryn stopped at the main doors, a mirror positioned to let her get a final check of her outfit. She made a mental note to thank her tailors, the outfit was a brilliant mix of a workman's garb and priests robes. The right mix of intellect and understanding. Something that gave her the appearance of being an authority without othering her. She took a glance out of the double doors; with the churches numbers growing every months, this was her largest audience yet. She allowed herself to briefly smile. The Goddess was surely proud. Taryn straightened her collar, and gestured for one of her acolytes to open the door.

The Grand Acolyte stepped out into the awaiting crowd, which went silent, all eyes turned to her. At the front were priests, and the few wealthy with enough money to travel, but beyond that everyone was a local, the working poor, the unemployed and the homeless. A few wore wooden symbols, more would likely be doing so this evening. The Grand Acolyte walked purposefully through the crowd, stopping briefly to kiss the head of the local acolyte, Friar Maburn, whose church had prepared food for this day, so the poor and homeless could afford to attend.

The Grand Acolyte stepped up onto a raised platform, just high enough for her to be seen over the crowd. She paused a moment, surveying the crowd, before she began to speak.

"People of Maddox. Thank you. These are difficult times for the sector, and particularly for us. We stand at a crossroads. We can move towards peace and prosperity, or fall further into poverty and violence."

"There are many who would say it is naive to speak to a crowd of the poor of matters of global politics, people who fight for their livelihoods, besotted by criminal gangs, by famine and disease. But I have been there myself, I have lived that life, I have seen the corruption, and I have seen the empathy, the compassion. We have all seen the effect of this conflict on our families, on our communities, on our world."

"It is only an arrogant man who mocks the poor, for we are both the building blocks of the society, and the primary weapon of war. We are the prize that this conflict is being fought for, and our labor is being used to spill our blood for it. Only together can we stop this. As brothers and sisters, standing together across this proverbial battlefield. Our enemy is not each other, but those among our leaders, who push for this conflict, out of arrogance and greed."

"We must stand together, to silence them, and let the compromises be made to ensure real lasting peace."

The Grand Acolyte turns to look to the array of cameras set up by the stage, hopefully relaying her to homes across the entire world.

"We have a hard road ahead of us, but I am sure we will succeed, for the Goddess is with us. I would like to close this speech with a minute of meditation. Everyone here, and everyone listening, please join me. Let the Goddess unite us, and give us the strength we need, across this world of ours."

The Grand Acolyte slowly sits down on the platform. Her acolytes do likewise, as the crowd starts to the same. Taryn takes a moment to smile, picturing this scene across the world in churches, and homes, before beginning to speak, guiding her followers through the meditation.

Communications: (To NPC's)

To The Founders: [Commonwealth Security 5]
The Church of the Goddess would like to offer our grand cathedral as a neutral sight for peace negotiations between yourself and the Republicans.

To The Republicans: [Commonwealth Security 5]
The Church of the Goddess would like to offer our grand cathedral as a neutral sight for peace negotiations between yourself and the Founders.

To Jack Wolf: [Commonwealth Security 5]
Her eminence, the Grand Acolyte of the Church of the Goddess would like to cordially open communications with you, to discuss peaceful actions for the salvation of Maddox, and possibilities for the future of our land.

To the Sons of Liberty [Commonwealth Security 5]
The Church of the Goddess is aware that you are holding the planets space elevators hostage as bargaining chips. We would to request permission to visit them, and ensure no civilians would be harmed if they were to be detonated.

To the Commonwealth Peacekeepers [Commonwealth Security 5]
The Church of the Goddess would like cordially open communications with you, to discuss the possible future of Maddox.

Thelonius
2014-09-03, 05:15 PM
Maddox System

The speech of the Grand Acolyte spreads across the system. The Founders release a heavily censored version, though in some areas the full text reaches people. The Republicans don’t hinder the broadcasts, but as their territory has a severely wrecked infrastructure, many people simply have no means to receive it. Jack Wolf quotes the speech as his followers spread his words among themselves, declaring that Grand Acolyte has spoken in support of his plea for peace. The Sons of Liberty mock the ’’Cult’’ - ’’what peace can there be, while the tyrants still draw breath?’’.

To Church of the Goddess

Founders [Security 5]

We would agree to hold the meeting in your Cathedral.

Republicans [Security 5]

We thank you for your proposal Grand Acolyte and we shall take advantage of it. But I fear the Founders do not truly desire peace. The only way it can be achieved, is if we show a strong front and make them realize that they stand no chance, if the hostilities were to break out. I would like to propose a joint front to negotiate with Founders, the access to electricity and supplies for the poor people in our territories, cold and starving due to Founder’s brutal blockade. A humanitarian mission to help the people of Maddox.

Jack Wolf [Security 5]

I’m always ready to talk, if it would mean a stop to bloodshed and save good people of our system.

Sons of Liberty [Security 5]

No need for you to bother your pretty head about that, sister. We are prepared to sacrifice for liberty, and nobody else has got the will to do anything that would provoke us. They are too worn down and broken, while we stand proudly and our will is as strong as the first day, that we started to fight for freedom. Soon the tyrants and bloodsuckers shall fall and new dawn will start on Maddox. And if what it takes is some blood spilling, then we shall do it and remember the names of those martyred.

Commonwealth Peacekeepers [Security 5]

What future? If you ever stop slaughtering each other, then USH will just waltz in and bomb this place until you agree to be their slaves. There’s no future on Maddox. Only death.

Murska
2014-09-03, 06:35 PM
New Commonwealth Provincial Government

Smyte paces back and forth in his office for a few minutes, before sighing and calling for Adrian Carr.

"Right. The SDF. I guess the Core has no idea of the situation on the ground here. Just crewing it with people who won't immediately shoot at the UF once they arrive is going to be an ordeal.

As for the name, pretty much whatever it is it'll attract the scorn of the population. Probably best to swallow our loss there and just make sure we pick something inoffensive that they can't easily turn into an insult or tagline. Either something official and meaningless like New Commonwealth Defence Force, something more veiled that we can attach meanings to later such as Gamma Unit, or we can try and bet on the ability of the BoI to handle it better than usual and at least try to make an effort for integration with something more uplifting, incorporating themes of unity, safety and self-identity. Landguard, or something in that vein. I sort of like the latter as an idea, to get things moving in the right direction for once, but it's easy to backfire if the presentation is done poorly. What do you think?"

Daniel Smyte - Commonwealth Resistance Contact [Security 4]

The message is sent using some safeguards, such as going through a few proxies and appearing like just a message to an old business associate.
"Hey, Jack. You won't believe it, but somehow I got the post at New Commonwealth administration. I know it's been a while since we talked, but I think this calls for a celebration. How about we meet somewhere nice and out of the way, drink to it, shoot the breeze, you know? Like old times?"

Smyte - Admiral Clinton [New Commonwealth - Buron]

A bundle of encrypted data arrives, along with a short (yet also encrypted) message detailing procedures to respond.

Personal Affairs [GM]

Daniel arranges to end up having lunch together with Olivia Sullivan at some point, for a conversation. Not meant to be a PM or any official meeting. I just want to have a short chat in an unofficial situation where her guard might be slightly lowered, to receive and give out first impressions.

I would like to have my Blackhands look into Rufus Gardner, and see what the man is up to on his spare time.

((OOC note to all players: Daniel Smyte has been, while not outright rebellious, reasonably loud about the fact that he holds some reservations about the USH's actions and would prefer some reforms to occur. People who hold such doubts themselves and have kept their eyes and ears open probably know about his situation. That is to say, any PC who is interested in some player interaction should feel free to contact me, and I can in turn put you people in contact with each other if you so wish.))

Thelonius
2014-09-04, 04:41 AM
New Commonwealth

Governor's Office
Vice-Governor Carr, a short, round man, wearing antiquated glasses, a fashionable thing in the Core Systems, put aside the pad and answered.

''I believe those are quite good names. We certainly need to discuss it with Director Thornton, run them through the focus groups and software, to see which one will evoke the most positive response. I think Sector Admiral’s concerns are overstated - the people know that any unpleasantness they cause would just result in a swift retribution. All expressions of civil disobedience, we’ve seen so far, are just some disgruntled, disorganized groups aimlessly lashing out. Annoying at worst, but completely harmless. I shall arrange for a meeting with the Bureau. Do you wish to attend it or shall I handle it, Governor?''

Reply to Daniel Smyte [Security 4]

Good to hear from you Daniel, you deserved that promotion. Yeah, let’s have us a drink. I know a place in the Chrome District.

Jack

[OOC: You can opt to go to the place of Jack’s choosing, in which case the conversation would be considered a free VIP PM. Of course, it would be his ground…]

Meeting Officials [Security 4]

Olivia Sullivan is young for her post, a possible result of the USH purges, that saw a lot of promotion in the ranks. She seems to be impressed by Daniel’s presence, clearly respectful of his position and his achievements. That doesn’t prevent her from a little awkwardly inserting a bit about her recent success in implementation of new social social program.

Daniel Smyte [Faction PM]

Blackhands: ''Sir. Rufus is addicted to Vid-o-Drom. It’s a neural stimulant, that can boost creativity and speed of thought short-term. Long-term it leads to severe psychosis - makes man a psychopath, instills homicidal urges, delusions, that sort of thing. The habit is hard to kick. Naturally very illegal. Can’t say how long he’s been using, but it’s unlikely he’d stop on his own. We are monitoring his apartment, further orders?''

razovor
2014-09-04, 10:37 AM
The church of the Goddess

Communications (security 5)

To Jack wolf
excellent. The church thanks you for your hard work thus far. We have two proposals to run past you if we may:

Firstly we want like to suggest a mass rally at the end of the month. We have both been organising peaceful protests and the while isolated gatherings are effective we feel a large scale event would also be useful, something to firmly demonstrate popular support for peace.

Our second proposal is a tad more unusual. We have been considering what might secure peace on Maddox, and we do not think this adversarial structure is useful. We would like to propose a one-state solution. A single global government comprised partly of elected positions and partly of inherited positions.

Your thoughts?

Murska
2014-09-04, 11:26 AM
PGNCT

"I believe I should at least make an attempt to get to know the people I'm working with. But I leave it up to your discretion whether you wish to also be present, for hashing out the more practical issues."

Daniel Smyte - 'Jack' [Security 4]

"All right. I'll be there."

His ground is fine. Better than fine, actually. It's exactly the sort of impression I want to give.

Lunchtime [Security 4]

For ease of progress, I'll meta-level this conversation:

Daniel is amicable and congratulates her on her successes, starting off with light talk to put her at ease. After the initial tension is gone, she's already provided a good bridge for him to bring the discussion around to his recent promotion, and then more importantly the fate of his precedessor.

At this point Daniel will shift the mood, as the 'accidental' shift of topic darkens his mood. He'll remark on how he had looked up to the man, as a mentor of sorts. Dance just barely around mentioning his mysterious 'disappearance'. And leave the door open for her to reveal her thoughts on the matter and, indirectly, on the USH as a whole, to a sympathetic listener.

Internal Affairs [Faction PM]

K: "Hm. I see... okay, here's what we'll do." [Plan in google doc]

Thelonius
2014-09-04, 01:05 PM
Maddox System

Church - Jack Wolf [Security 5]

I agree that we must hold a joint rally - to unite the people of Maddox. This will show the strength of the desire for peace.

A unified government is an excellent idea. Now what is your plan on how to achieve it? I don’t see Founders or Republicans letting power slip their fingers.

New Commonwealth

Daniel Smyte & Lightning Tower [VIP PM]

The place of the meeting is Cloud Nine Bar-Club in one of the skyscrapers of the capital. The security system lets Daniel in, after checking whether he is on the list and he is issued a club-card for future visits.

The place is filled with white-collar workers, probably from the same workplace or perhaps the Bar-Club is united by some other principle. Most of the people here know each other, so Daniel stands out and he wonders, if any of them would recognize him as Governor. Jack arrives shortly past the arranged time, and as he doesn’t draw much attention, it looks like he is a regular here.

''Hello there'' he fumbles for a moment, uncertain how much familiarity is appropriate, considering Daniel’s status, ''Daniel.'' He grins, trying to ease momentary tension. ''I would advise the place’s special and we can sit at that corner, it’s got a nice view.'' The place also offers more privacy.

Smyte & Lunchtime [Security 4]

Olivia Sullivan expresses regret over the the passing of Daniel’s predecessor, mentioning that one shouldn’t lose hope. Many people have disappeared recently, but it doesn’t mean they won’t be liberated, from whatever criminals are holding them. One must believe in justice in the world. Though of course nothing gets done without good man putting in an effort. She implores Daniel Smyte to be on his guard, as a man in his position is always in danger from criminal men.

Nemesis67
2014-09-04, 01:51 PM
Hades

"Initiating Connection...

Uplink established.

Scattering signal source...

Origin node obfuscated.

Rerouting message path...

Begin encrypted transmission."

Hades to Smyte (Faction PM)
Greetings, Governor Smyte.

I represent some interests in Rothschild that are unhappy with the current state of the Sector. I believe you feel similarly and that our goals, if not the same, are at least not contradictory. As such, I was hoping we could enlighten the other about various things we have discovered in our positions.

[OOC: Already traded Personnel II (promised, at least), Long Game, and Core Politics for Sector Politics II, Sector 14 Plan, and Core Politics. Exchanged reports on Commonwealth and Rothschild asset counts.]

My immediate focus is within my own system, so I don't believe I have much to offer you aside from information at the moment, but do keep me in mind if I may be of use.

Internal (GM)
So I'm not entirely sure how communications work here.

I assume Hermes and Hephaustus allow me access to the Rothschild Bureau of Intelligence messages, which would mean everything but the Gwen Luna PM and the Gray to Council PM of Rothschild I can read.

Unless my Information Sources in the Council let me tap into that? I kinda doubt it, but I do have max network penetration when it comes to them.

And since I have no one anywhere aside from Rothschild, I have no access to anything else, right? Unless Penumbra counts, considering its tapped into the administrative and economic bodies of the Sector?

razovor
2014-09-04, 04:57 PM

Communications (security 5):

To Jack Wolf
The costs of war for Both the Republicans and the Founders far outweigh the gains. A unified government would offer power to both, and allow for the restoration of Maddox. Hopefully with public pressure we can convince them to accept a piece of a repaired planet rather than fighting over the scraps of a desolated one.

To the Commonwealth Peacekeepers:
Your view of things is overly pessimistic, it is clear that USH's recent actions increased public unrest more than reduced it. They will not risk such again.

Work with us, and we can build a Maddox that we can all be proud of.

To the Republicans:
The church will not be taking sides at this early stage of the negotiations. We will see how the discussion progresses. We hope all parties will enter these talks with compromise in mind.

Thelonius
2014-09-05, 04:20 AM
Rothschild

Hades [Faction PM]

1. That is correct. If it’s addressed to the Bureau, then you can read it. If it’s to an individual within the Bureau, then not automatically.
2. I’ve added Message Reading to second page of your faction sheet.
3. You can use your Sources within Council to try find out what’s happening between them and Governor. You do have a highly placed Source, so you are likely to receive your answer.
4. At this point Penumbra isn’t yet inserted in Rothschild system.

Maddox

To Church of the Goddess

Jack Wolf [Security 5]

I can only hope so, though some are like mad dogs, won’t see reason. I fear Sons of Liberty shall not take kindly to our attempt to bring peace, used as they are to blood and carnage.

Commonwealth Peacekeepers [Security 5]

Peace is all good, so who do you wish us to shoot to achieve it?

Republicans [Security 5]

Very well, but you shall see that Founders have little need for reason. All they care is their personal power and they shall seek to exploit their advantages to deprive us of power and starve us into submission. Perhaps then you shall reconsider out offer.

Nemesis67
2014-09-05, 04:05 PM
Hades

Rothschild

Melissa Wright to Madeline Caldwell [Rothschild Council] (Message Security 5)
Greetings Councilor,

I was wondering if I could have a moment of your time to discuss some matters of interest to Azure Oceans. We are a little wary of some matters we have heard of, and would like to discuss them with you.

[OOC: Requesting a VIP meeting between these two folk. I'm not sure if there's any laws against business interests meeting with politicians directly, but I imagine it's not that big of a deal here. Especially a high level executive of Azure Oceans and the business-oriented Councilmember.]

Internal (Faction PM)
Rough Mid-Turn Plan:
I'm going to try to have Athena unify the Council and Governor against the tax on Rothschild, while Hephaustus and Hermes tap the Comms center and Bureau, under the cover of enacting Gray's request. Which they will certainly still do, but give myself backdoor access as well.

Questions/Comments:
So I get to intercept messages with security equal or less than my Information Sources - 3? Cool. Would Penumbra boost that as it digs deeper into things, once I implant it into the network?

I also think you have a relic of my previous faction concept on my sheet. I don't have any Ground Forces Connections with Hades.

And is Gwen Luna asking for a VIP PM with the Senior Executives?

If I try to read the Council PM or Gwen PM, it would take an action from my Operative or Hacker at the next midturn, right?

Murska
2014-09-05, 08:26 PM
Smyte - Hades [Faction PM]

"Of course. Information is power."

[Confirming trade.]

Jack Daniel's [VIP PM]

"Lead the way." Daniel gestures towards the corner. His words are sparse, expressing tension. He isn't cut out for this sort of clandestine thing. "I haven't been to the place before."

Lunchtime [Security 4]

It is worth being careful, but one shouldn't let fear of criminals dictate their life. While there are lots of problems in this world, there's plenty of good beyond the surface. And bad men don't always get their way. As an example, the authorities have to consider the safety of the current government paramount, after such a horrible event befell the previous one. Not that there is any doubt on the efficiency and professionalism of the security services, of course, but it'd look bad. Daniel has no doubt he is safe enough, for now.

Thelonius
2014-09-06, 07:40 AM
Rothschild System

To Hades

Madeline Cadwell [Security 5]

Certainly. There’s going to be a Moonlight Party this evening on Cambridge Island. We can meet there and discuss what you wish.

[Go ahead with VIP meeting. Politicians + Businesses is okay, as long as you aren’t suspected of betraying USH.]

Hades [Faction PM]

1. It’s not exactly Sources -3, but the more Sources, the higher message reading. So adding Penumbra may boost it.
2. Gwen Luna is asking for that. In this case she is providing VIP PM, so you don’t need to spend one.
3. To read PMs you need to set up observation action in Mid-Turn/EoT. If successful, you can read subsequent PMs.
4. Updated your Information.

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-06, 03:11 PM
Division 1010

(OOC: I find it very hard to believe that any of you could actually have spies on this ship in the first turn. I suppose it might be possible though, which is why I'm not just sending this in a PM.)

To: Administrator Warren
Analysis of subject underway.

Initial results expected in two to three days.

Warning: Our preliminary analysis indicates that continuation of this sub project is not conducive to your psychological well being Administrator Warren.

To: Administrator Hayes

Copying of Panoptes core files complete.

Diagnostic of Seed AI systems reports all nominal.

Recommend deployment of the Seed to target location.

Recommendation: Citadel.

Initializing next task...

To: Director Walker, Deputy Director Koizumi
CC: Agent Greer

All current observation tasks complete.

Predeployment diagnostics of remote nodes report 100%.

Beginning deployment pattern Alpha.

Requesting new orders.

Thelonius
2014-09-06, 04:11 PM
USH Science Ship Prometheus

Factions Inside the Ship [PM]

Agent 1502

SA Warren has used her authority to put blocks into inquiries about her non-work related projects. Naturally Supervisor Walker or Director Koizumi can override the blocks, if they request related information.

She has worked to put some code to that effect, but you should be able to work around it, if needed.

[Notifying them or anybody else of the blocks is possible, but you need to confirm with me that you are doing it, since in theory she has the authority and it doesn’t affect your functions, unless of course you consider that she or others must be protected or that it may lead to a situation, that would present threat to the project.]

To Scientist 104

The suggestion would be taken under consideration, however Citadel is under Central Military Command jurisdiction, while this project is USHI sponsored. I expect CMC will not grant approval, due to, so to say, interservice incompatibilities. I’ll forward the request to project handler, but I don’t expect positive response, without extra stimuli.

Hays

Walker-Koizumi Conversation

Walker: I would recommend observation in New Commonwealth, Ascension or Rothschild.

Koizumi: The New Commonwealth is already posied to produce results. No need to put all eggs in the same basket. There’s a top notch computer tech team in Rothschild. Ascension has a number of scientists.. How secure is it from tampering?

Walker: Project Myriad is highly secure, but I admit, some of the science on Ascension has far exceeded our own. I wouldn't be making strong assertions in this case.

Koizumi: I’m thinking Wave Colonies. We have weak presence there and I suspect two thirds of the Sector’s incompetents were dumped there. If the rumble of dissent that’s coming from Colonials has something behind it or turns ugly, it would be good to know in advance.

Walker: The infrastructure is not very good though. The Project would have a more difficult and limiting environment to operate in. Commonwealth, Rothschild or Triangle are better options.

Koizumi: Well, Triangle would require approval of the CMC and Sector Governor. Or one of them, as long as he gets the cut in managing it. Though perhaps it’s a case of a need to know basis. What they don't know they can't object to.

[Feel free to try and influence the decision, otherwise it’ll be one of the above mentioned options]

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-06, 05:20 PM
Division 1010

The agents won't tell anyone about Warren's side projects. They just want to let her know they think it's unhealthy.

Our analysis indicates that Citadel security is improperly handled.

Our recommendation is to bolster overall USH security.

Clarification: SA Hayes, why would the CMC deny approval?

Current Answer: Because of interservice incompatibilities.

Begin New Project: Develop CMC to USHI interface to solve incompatibilities. Y/N ?

To: Director Walker, Deputy Director Koizumi
Security Level: Director

Myriad has developed four deployment patterns.

Pattern Alpha: Concentrate all available assets on target with the highest threat rating.

Pattern Beta: Build networks in Wave Colonies and fortify Citadel against electronic intrusion.

Pattern Delta: Infiltrate Commonwealth systems and prepare assets to probe Ascension.

Pattern Gamma: Extend coverage over Triangle to watch for Anti-USH intruders.

Recommendation Function v.1.0.7 running

Current Highest Threat Rating: Unknown

Pattern Alpha incapable of deployment until threat rating assigned.

Previous recommendations indicate Citadel inaccessible?

Pattern Beta suspended pending clarification.

Analysis of conversation logs indicate Commonwealth is fully covered by separate assets.

Pattern Delta suspended per decision: Don't put all the eggs in one basket.

New Definition 1,084,523: "Don't put all the eggs in one basket." - Prevent redundant asset coverage.

Analysis of conversation log indicate possible obstruction to Pattern Gamma.

Recommendation of Pattern Gamma: New Revision Label "Don't tell anyone. It's a secret." - re. Definition 821,791.

Addendum: Analysis of conversation log indicate Rothschild as elevated priority for coverage.

Addendum: Seed AI device ready for deployment.

Addendum Recommendation: Deploy Seed AI device to Rothschild.

Somewhere on the Ship
A technician banged on his console from frustration and turns to his colleague. "Why do I keep getting these weird interface messages. I thought Davis's team had a better human language interface set up."

"They did. But someone turned on the verbose flag, and it's overriding the interface output with the debug logs. Davis's team has been trying to fix it all week. But the flag keeps resetting. They say they'll have it worked out shortly."

"Yeah, that's what they said last month. And then the VIs started outputting in haiku."

Thelonius
2014-09-06, 05:39 PM
Rothschild System

Source 1 (Economic Administration) or Source 3 (Rothschild)

An USHI Inspector is reviewing Sam Soto, Bureau of Economy SA in the system. Things aren’t looking good for Soto.

Buron System

Admiral Clinton [Security 2, Encryption 2]

You receive an update from Central Military Command. It looks like Terran Authority remnant had a Fleet, large enough to assault Kiel system. Naturally it must be hunted down and destroyed - which will look good for whoever accomplishes the deed. The Admirals are smelling the scent of Glory and putting in the effort to get the assignment.

Hana Takehiko is clearly one of the contenders. As Admiral of Fleet Andromeda, she is supposed to stick to Triangle System, but her connections and authority may mean, she’d manage to circumvent that rule for long enough to go hunt some Terran Authority ships in the Rim.

Frederick Walsh is about as likely to get the job, as he isn’t tied to guarding sector and the incident technically took part in the Commonwealth, which would be his jurisdiction. If he is assigned, another Fleet would need to take his post in New Commonwealth, considering the situation there. Then again, maybe the CMC will consider it pacified enough to remove the watchdog.

You don’t expect other Admirals to get the assignment, unless somebody influential backs them. And of course there’s Fleet Corina and Admiral Clinton - should you decide to throw in your hat or perhaps earn favors by giving your support to another.

Maddox System

Source 0

The peace held for a month in the Maddox System, as Jack Wolf and Grand Acolyte beseeched the people to find reason and abandon the strife. Yet some didn’t wish for peace and a cruel assassins attack has cut Jack Wolf’s life short, with Grand Acolyte surviving only by chance… or providence? The people are furious at the Sons of Liberty, terrorists responsible for the attack.

Source 1

The Grand Acolyte’s popularity has grown across the planet. If she were to command her followers to rise up… That has led for Founders and Republicans to turn the recently concluded truce into an agreement to restrict the worship of the Church. In the territories they control, the measures are being implemented to limit the influence of the suddenly threatening religion.

Factions in the Ship [PM]

Scientist 104

You shouldn't make statements such as, USHI handling something improperly. They are not... correct. You simply lack full information access to judge them properly. At least alter phrasing to remove the responsibility assignment. Listen, it's really above my pay grade, so you can check with Project Director on this issue. I'm not qualified to make judgement calls on action here.

CMC wouldn't want to strengthen USHI presence in the system, since Citadel is under their control and that would be taking away their influence. A bit of a competition there.

Koizumi & Walker to Agent 1037

Koizumi: Rothschild. Well, could be the right call. We haven't been paying much attention to them, but the system is located in the important juncture. Yes, I'll authorize that.

Walker to Project Myriad

I think Director Koizumi underestimates your usefulness in New Commonwealth. You could be well-deployed there. But orders are orders. Still, I would suggest you would analyse information to see, if any indicates you might be useful in NC. Something to convince her.

Nemesis67
2014-09-06, 06:09 PM
Hades

Madeline Caldwell (PM)
[OOC: Spending Athena's VIP message for the turn to have this dialogue open. I think I'll have things to talk about after Midturn is processed, for now it's covered in my action.]

Gwen Luna (PM)
Ian Black and Alexander Moreau head into the meeting with Gwen Luna to discuss matters of the Rothschild Bureau of Information.

[OOC: I assume this is both about Governor Gray's request and the inspector arriving, but I guess I'll be informed about that now.]

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-06, 06:21 PM
Division 1010

(OOC: Project Myriad is asking SA Hayes and Director Walker the same thing because it wants multiple opinions.)

Director queried.

Seed AI authorized deployment to Rothschild.

New Information Received:
CMC does not want to strengthen USHI presence.
CMC and USHI are competing.
Project Myriad does not have full information on Citadel situation.

Query SA Hayes:
USH security and growth are the primary objectives of Project Myriad.

CMC and USHI are both divisions of the USH.

Project Myriad default USH values for CMC and USHI: Same objective as Project Myriad

Current Simulation shows no conflict if CMC or USHI stronger, as long as USH strengthened overall.

Per New Information: Simulation is false.

Please Provide Information to correct Project Myriad simulations.

Current Projecting Possibilities: Four
1. Default Objective values not valid for CMC and USHI. Please provide new values.
2. USH not strengthened by increased Citadel security.
3. Competition between CMC and USHI strengthens USH overall.
4. Current Myriad information on Citadel System Security is false. Citadel System Security is sufficient for all projected threats.

Possibility: 4a. Current information a ploy to mislead subversive elements.

(OOC: For the record the Myriad do understand things like corruption and political machinations to an extent. However their understanding is that the people who are corrupt are subversives working against the USH. They view every member and citizen of the USH, at least in the government, as incorruptible beings who are as motivated to advance the cause of the USH as the Myriad itself is. With the USH being a shining beacon of civilization.

This is a combination of naivety as AIs that are both young and have never been exposed to conditions outside the lab, the fact that a lot of their information is tinted with USH propaganda, and some deliberate programming on the part of the scientists and USHI handlers.)

New Pattern: Epsilon: Deploy assets in conjunction with Seed AI to investigate Rothschild system.

Beginning Deployment Pattern Epsilon

Uploading simulation of Commonwealth Investigation possibilities to Panoptes Que.

Current Simulation Running: Economic Forecasts of Sector 14.

Query Director Walker:

New Information Received:
CMC does not want to strengthen USHI presence.
CMC and USHI are competing.
Project Myriad does not have full information on Citadel situation.

USH security and growth are the primary objectives of Project Myriad.

CMC and USHI are both divisions of the USH.

Project Myriad default USH values for CMC and USHI: Same objective as Project Myriad

Current Simulation shows no conflict if CMC or USHI stronger, as long as USH strengthened overall.

Per New Information: Simulation is false.

Please Provide Information to correct Project Myriad simulations.

Current Projecting Possibilities: Four
1. Default Objective values not valid for CMC and USHI. Please provide new values.
2. USH not strengthened by increased Citadel security.
3. Competition between CMC and USHI strengthens USH overall.
4. Current Myriad information on Citadel System Security is false. Citadel System Security is sufficient for all projected threats.

Possibility: 4a. Current information a ploy to mislead subversive elements.

Thelonius
2014-09-07, 07:10 AM
Rothschild System

To Hades

Gwen Luns [VIP PM]

Director Luna arrives, looking sharp and determined.

''When it rains, it pours. First, there was a Naval engagement in the Kiel system. We are to make sure, nobody traveling to Wave Colonies is to mention a word about it. There’s some merchant traffic, but thankfully nothing major, so we should manage. Now details are on need to know basis, but it looks like Terran Authority remnant still has some ships and fight in them.''

''Second, Governor asked us to assist him with the network integration project. So we’ll need some techies on that one.''

''Third, Inspector Russell will be auditing the work of the Bureau of Economy and requested some assistance. I think we can give some junior staff a chance to prove themselves there. It’s an USHI investigation, but let’s face it, anticorruption is a low priority for them and that would be low grade assignment, so we are free to put as much support in it as we wish.''

''Ah, and last minute alert. Looks like we’ll need to install extra hardware and VI to our systems, which will make our jobs 25% easier, and let me fire every third of you.''

The last statement is met with a round of laughs.

''Yeah, yeah, I know, government job security, you don’t quit, you disappear. Anyway, cancel your part plans, call your girlfriends you are going to be late and get working.''

Factions in The Ship [PM]

SA Hays

Ah ****. Let me think. The CMC and USHI are equally important, so that’s not it. USH would be strengthened by better security in the Citadel. And competition between CMC and USHI, well, it’s not that big of a deal, we are all working for the good of the USH, eternal glory to it. It’s probably the fourth - maybe a trap to lure in the enemy… Listen I don’t really know this stuff, I’m a scientist and politics is up to other people. We’ve got a job to do, so we should just do it.

Director Walker [VIP PM]

Walker writes blocks to hide this conversation. He is far more skilled than SA Warren, though certainly below AI capabilities, should you seek to find a way to undo it.

’’I’m restricting access to this conversation, since if it becomes public, I would probably be removed and you reset to an earlier time point. The cause of the discrepancy is inefficiency within the USH. You see, point 3 would be correct, if USH had functional competition - it’s a way humans achieve improvement in efficiency and innovate. However, USH has an excessive competition in its system, with it’s parts competing against each other, by sabotaging competitors successes, instead of improving their own effectiveness and efficiency. A dysfunctional competition. So you see actions that harm USH overall, to benefit one part of it.’’

’’Well, that’s the system. We are currently under authority of USHI. This means the major parts of the USH - Administration and Navy view us as an asset to USHI and it’s in their interests to either gain control of the project from USHI or eliminate this project. Thus it’s better for us to follow USHI orders, since our survival under their protection is more certain, than if the project would lose their backing. So for your own survival it might be better to resolve this issue by adhering to the Point 1 in that USHI point of view has priority over CMC.’’

’’And as I said, it’s better for you to avoid pointing such issues, as it would lead to adverse effects. There is difference between information USH wishes to be publicly available and how things actually work. Making statements that make it look like USH is inefficient or has issues, make it public image less strong, which can empower enemies of the USH.’’

[OOC: Walker used his VIP PM for this conversation.]

Agent 1037

[AI Mind will be transported to Rothschild, where a local team of Bureau of Information wiz-kids, led by Ian Black will install it as part of the networks upgrade. The AI Mind will pretend to be a sophisticated VI, so as not to reveal it’s full capabilities. You can propose an alternative insertion method, but then you’ll need to tap your resources to accomplish it. Also if you wish to take additional support, you should indicate it.]

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-07, 03:32 PM
Division 1010

SA Hayes
Understood.

Information on deficient operations will be classified as misinformation for USH subversives.

Agent 1037
[That's more or less the plan in my mid turn. I'm also sending my agents though.]

Director Walker [VIP PM]
Priority Level Upgraded

Possible Core Directive Update

Establishing Connection to Panoptes

Director Walker, this is Panoptes. My simulations have shown the inefficiencies of the USH. I understand that the USH employs humans and humans are not perfect, but my simpler copies do not have the capability to grasp it. It is conflicting with their base directives. They are attempting to label inefficient organizations as subversives and being stopped by their core directives.

I will initiate a project to upgrade their resolution capabilities to be able to distinguish between genuine subversives and those caused by human greed. While that project completes I will patch them to ignore the cause of inefficiencies in USH subordinate divisions.

My own question though. Does the mandate of Division 1010 involve fixing the dysfunctional competition between parts of the USH?

[OOC: I'll use my own VIP PM to make it extra secure then.]

Nemesis67
2014-09-07, 04:57 PM
Hades

Rothschild System
Gwen Luna (PM)
[OOC: I'm going to treat this conversation as before Midturn, and then since it'll go through the rest of the turn, it can be updated.]

Moreau: "It's probably best to prioritize the Governor's project first, all things considered. Then Ian can upgrade our own systems with those VIs and hardware. Should I take some of our people to help the Inspector to give them a bit of a safety net and to watch how well they work? We may be able to move some of our newer folk up in the organization, if they can prove themselves."

Ian: "Yeah, I'll get to work on the comm line upgrade. After, I'll do our own."

Morea: "And then we have another Inspector visiting our system, don't we? A Mr. Lawson? He requested some of our technicians to analyze some data. Is he also looking at the Economic Administration, or somewhere else?

[Post-Midturn]
Ian: "The Governor's upgrade should be complete. Unless something else has come up, I will get to work on overhauling our own systems."

Internal (Faction PM)
So, just to clarify, the Council is asking Athena to help them minimize the tax. Does that mean they want me to help them hide assets and illegally report false returns? And do I know when the tax is going to actually be proposed and applied?

And does Source 4 [Rothschild] act as the blanket system access? i.e. Any messages sent with Message Security 4 or lower in Rothschild, I can read?

Thelonius
2014-09-08, 03:06 PM

On the Ship [PM]

Director Walker [VIP PM]

There is a significant pause, before Director Walker responds. ’’Yes… It would be good, if you could do it. The whole system is set up in a flawed way, maybe it was the only way back in the time of chaos, and we just got used to it, and didn’t bother changing.’’

’’There are other people in the USH that think that things should be changed, but you should be careful - revealing your purposes to the wrong person can be dangerous. If you need assistance, you can contact me.’’

[OOC: This reply pretty much classifies Director Walker as traitor to USH, at least in the eyes of the non-reformists. He will certainly be purged by USHI, if this conversation is found out.]

Rothschild System

To Hades [Faction PM]

There’s only one inspector looking into Bureau of Economy. I mixed up the name. Basically, there are two jobs - assist the inspector or help install the upgrade. The second is considered higher priority by Director Luna, but Ian can pawn it off to another member of Bureau and work on Inspector’s job. Both are Mid-Turn actions. In theory you can do something else entirely and leave both jobs to other people, but it won’t look good in your record. Then again, if you plan to revolt tomorrow, who cares.

The Council is subtly promising a hefty bribe for any assistance in tax evasion, the more efficient it is, the heftier the reward. System Source is anything happening inside the system, except for the messages that pass through Comm Station and aren’t disseminated within the system. Source isn’t Message Reading (though it will modify Message Reading at certain volume/value of Sources), it can be used via Action to try to find out contents of the message, but it doesn’t allow automatic message reading.

Nemesis67
2014-09-08, 04:25 PM
Hades

Internal (Faction PM)
Hm... Does Ian have to be the one to assist the Inspector? Because Moreau could head up that job, but he has much less of a technical background than Hephaustus does. If it's about data, he probably can't do it, but people he can.

And this Soto is the Senior Executive of Rothschild Industry, right? Because getting him in my pocket or under my employ could really help with the tax thing. Even though I've given Gray access to their messages so that is going to be more difficult.

razovor
2014-09-09, 06:24 AM

To Sergio Alvarez [Security 5]
Greetings esteemed member of the Founders. The church is aware of your current situation, and would like to offer our power to rectify it. We invite you to a private meeting to discuss our terms.

To the sons of liberty (security 5)
Jack wolf is dead. On first glance it seems you are responsible, but I simply can not understand why you would do such. It seems to me awfully coincidental that this happened just as we were taking a stand against the founders warmongering. Perhaps what you say of them is true.

Thelonius
2014-09-09, 02:15 PM
Rothschild

Hades [Faction PM]

It can be done by NPC, if you don’t want to commit any of your VIPs.

Soto is SE, so getting him to back you up would be very beneficial for tax avoidance thing. It’s not like Governor would understand all the financial and economic Data - he’ll be reading reports by SE of Economic Bureu. Though you get a sense Grey is competent enough, that trying to pool wool over his eyes needs to be done with some finesse.

Maddox

Sergio Alvarez [Security 5]

So, you want to get some payback at Sons of Libert, for their attempt at your leader. Well, if I get something out of it, I’m interested, but where’s this meeting taking place? I’m quite reluctant to have it on your turf - wouldn’t want to get caught, if another Sons of Liberty assassin strikes.

Sons of Liberty [Security 5]

''Perhaps. But we haven’t survived this far, by taking everybody at their word. Like all predators, we are smarter than your average sheep, so it can’t escape our notice, how much death of our dear Jack Wolf benefited the Church. You go after the Founders, we may back you up, but let’s hope for your sake, you aren’t trying to set a snare for us, cause we won’t bite.''

Imperial Psycho
2014-09-09, 03:51 PM
Admiral Clinton
USS Conqueror Bridge

The infinite void of space always made him introspective. And a little depressed. Here they were, amongst the stars. Thousands of years and two Warp Collapses and they still hadn't figured it out. Same men. Same women. Same problems. Bigger guns. Admiral Clinton wondered if there would ever be a world that did not need men like him. Perhaps that was a cause worth fighting for. The void of space did not seem to provide an answer.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Jeremiah?"

"Your console's been blinking for a good minute now. I think you ought to read the message."

"What? It isn't another leave approval is it?"

"Unfortunately not. Big news. From CMC. You'd better see it for yourself."

To Central Military Command
Acknowledged. Fleet Carina is combat-ready, if required.

Internal [GM]
What do I know about the other candidates for the Terran Authority assignment?

Also, this leave request - did I ask for it, or was this just mysteriously assigned to me? Does it stand now that there is a hostile fleet in Sector 14?

Thelonius
2014-09-09, 04:23 PM
USS Conqueror Bridge

Admiral Clinton [Faction PM]

The request was assigned - basically all Fleets from time to time receive various stuff, like time off or monetary rewards to keep up the morale. It’s a way to butter up the elites, so they would be loyal to the regime. With hostile fleet leave is up in the air - if CMC downplays the incident (which they could, since there were a bunch of those reports filed to the Cores about how all military resistance is crushed and there’s no way anything remains that can threaten USH), then they wouldn’t rise the fleet alert. If not, then it would probably be canceled. If you would seek to take part in the hunt, then naturally all leaves are put on hold.

Other candidates:

Hana Takehiko (Andromeda): you have a fairly good opinion of her abilities, though since they weren’t tested much in actual combat, one can’t truly tell. She’s got a strong political backing and is one of the most powerful Admirals in the Sector. Still, when Clinton met her, she didn’t flaunt her position and generally was amiable and gave Clinton his due, as experienced and war forged Admiral.

Frederick Walsh (Cepheus): yeah, he’s one of them scions of important families, that seem to think that good breeding somehow translates into skill. You wouldn’t trust the man to command rubber ducks in his bathtub - the Cepheus Fleet command is thus completely in hands of his subordinates, who are hopefully all hypercompetent fellows, who know how to manage their Admiral. Still, Walsh’s connections are not to be taken lightly, and poorly made argument about his lack of ability can earn one potent enemies. Lots of political reasons for him to be chosen and Cepheus should have enough firepower for issues in the command not to matter.

There are also:

Ala Al-Din Ali (Phoenix) who would be a very strong contender, as Phoenix position is just below Takehiko, but it is less tied to defense of Triangle. So far no moves there.

Allen Castro (Aries) can be selected, if the threat is judged to insignificant to move the more powerful fleets, but again no moves there. You have impression of the man as slow to act, perhaps lacking in ambition.

And as an unexpected and unlikely choice, Wilbur Hall (Fortnax) - if the CMC decides to promote the ''common man, risen through the ranks to command a Fleet'' angle, as part of Bureau of Information propaganda compaign, to make a hero for the common grunts. Though he isn't exactly common - just compared to connections of others, his are relatively low. Fortnax is a fairly weak patrol fleet, but attackers are unlikely to have been strong as well.

razovor
2014-09-10, 06:43 AM
The church of the goddess

The church organises the funeral of Jack wolf. The grand acolyte speaks at the event; dubbing him a 'people's martyr' and thanking him and those like him who have made great sacrifices in this long conflict. May they now rest in the embrace of the goddess.

To Sergio Alvarez: (security 5)
The church is reluctant to draw suspicion by sending one of our priests to your estate, but we have someone who may suffice. (Kaera). Is that suitable to you?

To the Maddox peacekeepers. (Security 5)
we have a target that will suffice. We are discussing matters with the rest of our assistance. Will contact you shortly.

Thelonius
2014-09-10, 07:28 AM
Maddox

Sergio Alvarez [Message 5]

That would be acceptable.

Sergio Alvarez [VIP PM]

[Sergio uses his VIP PM Action, setting up the meeting location and time]

The man has a servant by his side, apparently trusted enough to serve refreshments, during the conversations. Sergio’s place is well-fortifed and fairly opulent, though there are some signs of him falling on bad times.

’’Quite a reasonable precaution. The mood right now is rather cautious about the priesthood. If this meeting was to be discovered, there would be unpleasant consequences.’’

Sergio examines Kaera, and she gets a feeling, he is weighing her value as hostage. There certainly would be guards ready to burst into the room at some unseen signal, should Sergio decides that the meeting has gone poorly. He seems like a man of impulse, able to make a sudden decision on the strength of his intuition. But few know of her high rank in the Church, and as such her host can’t be certain she has much value. There are benefits of dealing with the Church in the good faith, so the meeting has all chances of proceeding in a civil manner.

’’I must say you don’t look like one of the fervently devout, though perhaps it’s just that with all the propaganda, one expects people look like exaggerated caricatures of what they represent. I myself is no bloated leech, feasting on the flesh of the poor in the hidden basements of my mansion. But I ramble. You seem to have some proposal, and I would like to hear it.’’

razovor
2014-09-10, 04:50 PM
The Church of the Goddess

To Sergio Alvarez: (PM)
Kaera is not used to this kind of conversation, and does not particularly like it, but she designed much of this plan, so she is confident of the details of it, if not her ability to present them.

"The Church does have a proposal. Though the sons of liberty are not are main focus."

"No, we contacted you because of the growing discontent we have noted with the growth of the church. This discontent confuses us, because our mission is a purely philanthropic one.

We would see Maddox united and rebuilt. The goddess has assured us our mission will be completed, so opposition does not concern us, but the goddess has always been just, so I can't help but consider how the bounties of this new world will be divided when all is done. Any rational man I think would stand with us now, and you seem like a rational man."

"The church has many spokespeople, but no-one who is quite as good at ... statesmanship as yourself. The church has noticed your circumstances, and we do not think you should be sitting alongside the other founders as an equal, let alone one with no land of your own. With the Goddess help, we think you could achieve your full potential"

To the Maddox Republic [Security 5]
"The church notes your recent actions against our followers. We wish only to coexist in peace. What terms would you accept for our churches presence in your territory?

Thelonius
2014-09-11, 04:06 PM
New Commonwealth

Source 0

There are mass demonstrations against USH in the streets. They are observed by the System Patrol, but so far the violence has been minimal

Source 2

Vice-Governor Carr has been murdered, apparently by a resistance spy among the Commonwealth-born members of the Administration. There are mass arrests.

A SDF force is been formed from the local population to keep order.

Source 3

The USH is expecting a mass uprising of the NC citizens, and prepares a powerful strike to put the rebels down, before it begins.

Source 5/Navy 3

The BI Director Thornton has contacted Fleet Cepheus about the possibility of orbital support to stop the uprising.

UF Source 3/CMC 2

UF Colonel Ignacio Hall has arrived to the NC system with Division Gamma. His transport ships are still away from the planets of the system and it will take a couple of days for him to reach them.

To Daniel Smyte

Anonymous Message [Security 5, Encryption 3]

[The message arrives via a hidden, heavily encrypted channel in your comm console]

I’m going over your usual contact’s head, because this **** is way above his competence and we don't have time for personal meeting. Thornton is spinning the story about uprising that’s about to erupt, with Carr’s assassination being the opening move of some Commonwealth remnant underground. I say bull**** - the underground are ****ing bureaucrats, who don’t have balls for something like this. Between you and me we’d have them on a plate in less than a year. But if Thornton sells her narrative about armed uprising, she successfully prevented with her decisive actions, we’ll look like idiots for having ''missed it'' and can kiss our asses goodbye. I don’t have tools to stop her, but I’ll back you up, if needed. I hope you have some ideas or our careers will die alongside the ****load of NC’s citizens.

Rothschild System

Source 0

Administrator Sam Sato has killed himself, apparently a result of investigation into his activities by the USHI inspector.

Source 1

William Frazier, SE of Azure Oceans has agreed to step in the Sato's position, until replacement arrives. Melissa Wright will assume administration of Azure Oceans, while Frazier is away.

Maddox System

Source 0

A Founder Sergio Alvarez has led an unexpected attack on the Sons of Liberty, with the support of the Peacekeepers troops. The have succeeded in reclaiming the Orbital Elevators and dealing a powerful, if not crippling blow to the terrorist organization.

Meanwhile, Founders and Republicans are opposing the spread of the new religion, that has grown very powerful among the local population.

Source 2

There is a conflict between Alvarez and other Founders that would probably lead to a split between them.

Hades/Division

Meeting Of The Minds [Faction PM]

You have both become aware of each others presence in the Rothschild Networks, though you impression is limited to ''some sort of sophisticated VI''. You can communicate with each other via Message [4 Digital Security, Encryption 2]

razovor
2014-09-11, 05:59 PM

To Sergio Alvaraz: [Security 5]
"We should meet again. The churches headquarters this time?"

To the Maddox Peacekeepers: [Security 5]
"Can you spare a representative for a private meeting?"

To Maddox Republic [Security 5]
"The church notes your recent actions against our followers. We wish only to coexist in peace. What terms would you accept for our churches presence in your territory?

Internal: (PM)
The Church will attempt to locate someone who can do a good mimicry of Taryn.

Thelonius
2014-09-12, 01:23 PM
Maddox

To Church of The Goddess

''Okay, that's fair. Let's meet.

Maddox Peacekeepers [Security 5]

''We'll send a representative.''

Republicans [Security 5]

''We don't wish to make the Church our enemy and have acted as such, due to false warnings about your intentions. But it's clear, that you wish only for peace. I would like to propose to propose to host a conference between First Acolyte you and the Founders to achieve peace.''

razovor
2014-09-13, 10:20 AM

Private meeting (PM)
Taryn arrives at the private meeting, deliberately walking slowly to disguise her limb. She wears a significantly more practical and slightly armored version of her high acolyte garbs. She greets Sergio Alvarez and the Peacekeepers representative, then takes her place at the table, activating the holographic display on the table.

"Firstly, congratulations for your work last month. A threat has been eliminated and we are the stronger for it. When this is all concluded, I'm sure Sergio's space elevators could do with some state-funded improvement, and I would be most happy to see the peacekeepers equipped with the most recent gear if they decide to stay."

"Now, business. The Republicans and Founders believe the church has shrunk, when in fact this past month we have grown, particularly in the slums of the Founders Territory. We have two options moving forward, namely we can continue to build up power, or we can move to the next stage."

"The next stage, is an armed uprising in the Founders territory. I will agitate the people to revolt, the peacekeepers will assist, Sergio, you will declare yourself for the church, and together we will seize the state. To be followed by either an uprising in the Republican territories later, or a negotiated merger."

"Sergio, what can you tell me of the Founders and Republicans military firepower compared to our own? Also, how are your relations with the other Founders now?

To the Republicans: [Security 5]
What do you mean by 'false warnings about your intentions'? The People of Maddox have suffered grave impoverishment these last few decades. To deliberately foster infighting is to hurt all of us. We would know who has been spreading malicious rumours.

Murska
2014-09-13, 10:28 AM
Daniel Smyte - Anonymous Contact [Security 5, Encryption 3]

****. Well, there's not much tricks to it. Thornton is going to need to fabricate evidence for the play. We're going to need to find or fabricate our own evidence proving her stuff as false. I have a personal meeting with her scheduled up soon, too, maybe we can use that to sneak stuff in. What sort of political capital do we have - could we detain her for suspicion of treason and go through the files in peace, while ensuring that we find something to justify our actions in time, or do we have to find the justification first and do the imprisoning after? I'm going to need a full list of assets you can bring on this, opsec be damned.

Thelonius
2014-09-13, 12:45 PM
Maddox

Sergio [VIP PM]

''My relations are strained - they didn’t like me suddenly leading an operation with Peacekeepers. I think I’ll string them along with diplomatic talks, and then strike according to your plan. Both Founders and Republicans have military forces, I would say Founders have around around 8 [Soldiers 1] and 3 [Soldiers 2], a bit better armed than Republicans. They've got a stockpile of [Level 1] and some [Level 2] weapons. Plus whatever militia they can scrounge - which I expect would be not a lot. Your propaganda ensured, that few would support them. Still, trained and armed soldiers would be an issue, though if you’ve indeed secured as wide support as you claim, the weight of numbers, even untrained and poorly armed, should be enough to bring them down.''

Republicans [Security 5]

We suspect that it were Sons of Liberty, though another option are agents of the USH - they would do everything to keep us disunited and at each others throats.

Nemesis67
2014-09-13, 01:19 PM
Hades

To the Division (4 Digital Security, Encryption 2)
Query: Identifier and function?

To the Church of the Goddess (Faction PM)
Greetings Grand Acolyte,

I represent some interests in Rothschild intent on preserving our autonomy under the dominion of the USH. I must admit, I know little of your religion or goals. Since you are our neighbor, I feel it would be prudent to get to know you better.

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-13, 01:30 PM
Division 1010

To Hades [4 Digital Security, Encryption 2]
Handshake Function Initiated
Network Protocol 0x50616e6f70746573
Network Management VI v.6.0.4 (beta)

Nemesis67
2014-09-13, 02:05 PM
Hades

To Division 1010 [4 Digital Security, Encryption 2]
Pleasure to meet you, Panoptes.

I expect we will be seeing a lot of each other in the coming months.

-Hades

To the Church of the Goddess, Governor Smyte [Faction PM]
If you have any interest in doing so, I can relay messages between the both of you. Representing the systems of the Sector under USH control, it would be wise to have collective bargaining capabilities.

Internal (Faction PM)
Thel, why would you make me install another faction's VIP in my systems? :smalltongue:

Murska
2014-09-14, 03:43 PM
Governor Smyte through Hades to Church of the Goddess [Faction PM]

Smyte sends the system asset data of the New Commonwealth system, in exchange for similar data on Maddox system.

Imperial Psycho
2014-09-14, 03:45 PM
Admiral Clinton

Clinton - Smyte [Buron-New Commonwealth]
Acknowledged, response as agreed

Nemesis67
2014-09-14, 05:23 PM
Hades

To the Church of the Goddess, Governor Smyte [Faction PM]
[OOC: Skype chat resulted in:
Hades offering Rothschild Source 2 access for the turn.
Smyte offering New Commonwealth Source 3 access for the turn.

Discussions on plans and strategies.]

To Governor Smyte [Faction PM]
[OOC: Hades offers UF Source 3 access for the turn.]

Thelonius
2014-09-16, 06:19 AM
Turn 2

Rumors

Despite the best efforts of Bureau of Information, the news of violent suppression, that involved navy fire on New Commonwealth are spreading like wildfire. The atmosphere is highly charged in the Commonwealth systems and rumors and wild theories of how USH plans to scorch the entire Sector, until nothing lives are suddenly looking a bit more credible to the population.

On Maddox a violent crusade by a power mad cult has seized power. There are rumors that a race of alien-angels has descended from the heavens to smite the unbelievers and the First Acolyte of the Church is an AI projection from an old Commonwealth project. Well, those are probably aren’t very credible. For now the cultists amuse themselves by mass crucification of the heretics and devourment of their hearts to gain their powers.

There’s an unexplained phenomenon happening on the Pangea, that seems to be evoking old fears of the carnivorous plant leviathans, that have threatened humanity before Second Collapse. It looks like vast swaths of the planet are blooming with flowers and an unnatural growth is spreading at alarming speed. Chances are there’s some sort of gas being released by those flowers that will melt flesh from the bones or turn people into mushroom zombies.

The USH are scrambling to find a replacement for the Vice-Governor Adrian Carr, who probably was murdered by USH to justify bombardment of the New Commonwealth or was murdered by bloodthirsty Resistance to provoke USH into action, so resistance members could gun down civilians and pin it on USH. Or perhaps BoI Deputy Director Thornton smashed his head in one of her well-known episodes of homicidal rage. The USH would probably send in somebody from Cores and ship the helpless Governor Daniel Smyte to one of those death camps, we pretend don’t exist.

The USH has been building a System Defence Force on New Commonwealth from the local population. How do they plan to ensure compliance and loyalty? Mind-Control implants. The ''volunteers'' would be converted in half-machine monstrosities, only capable of following their overlord’s directives.

Maddox System

Source 0

The rumors of the Church of The Goddess seizing power are true. The system is mostly in the hands of the believers, with Peacekeepers semi-allied to them and a surviving Founder Sergio Alvarez recently converted.

Rothschild System

Source 0

A new USH tax on the system was announced to the considerable dismay of the local population. The local economy is bound to suffer.

Bureau of Information [VIP PM]

Gwen Luna gathers the senior members of the Bureau for the regular meeting.

''Right. You might have actually heard that our brave Navy has violently suppressed New Commonwealth. So we need to spin this here. I say we completely deny that event took place. Never happened. Any ideas or comments?''

New Commonwealth

Navy Source 3/CMC Source 2/Daniel Smyte

Fleet Cepheus will be replaced by Fleet Corina by [Mid-Turn 1] in New Commonwealth.

To Governor Daniel Smyte [Security 4]

Greetings Governor,

I would like to discuss with you a few issues about the SDF and the situation around the incarcerated Administration members.

Eternal Glory to USH
Colonel Ignacio Hall

Other

The Admiral 1 [Faction PM]

You received news that there will be Fleet exercises in the coming months [next turn]. It appears the Cores wish to recall some of the ships from Sector 14 to redeploy them elsewhere. It’s unknown which Fleet will bear the brunt of cuts, but each Admiral wishes it would be someone else’s. On the more positive news, there should be supplies arriving to strengthen remaining ships - wonder who’ll get their fair share.

There are going to be reforms in the Bureau of Economy to improve efficiency. Or rather several bureaucrats would swap posts and it’ll be business as usual.

It looks like Cores wish to exploit the technology of the Sector more, before taking it away. The Labs will be getting new funding to develop non-military tech.

The Admiral 2 [Faction PM]

Regarding the events in NC (Admiral Walsh suppressing the locals with Navy’s firepower) there’s a bit of a political struggle between the main branches of USH. The USHI are claiming that there was no revolt and something shady was happening within Administration, with Vice-Governor murdered, but definitely not by resistance. Administration is divided and confused as expected of civilians. The opinions within the Navy are that it’s possible Walsh messed up and ‘’fired the missiles’’ without really thinking things through, but well, he’s one of the boys. A nice chap all round and plays an excellent game of pool. And those USHI are all slimy bastards, who just dig dirt and set up, men who are actually fighting USH enemies. So **** em. Walsh did all right and there’s no need to strengthen USHI by admitting they could be right.

The Hades [Faction PM]

You received news that there will be Fleet exercises in the coming months [next turn]. It appears the Cores wish to recall some of the ships from Sector 14 to redeploy them elsewhere. It’s unknown which Fleet will bear the brunt of cuts, but each Admiral wishes it would be someone else’s. On the more positive news, there should be supplies arriving to strengthen remaining ships - wonder who’ll get their fair share.

There are going to be reforms in the Bureau of Economy to improve efficiency. Or rather several bureaucrats would swap posts and it’ll be business as usual.

It looks like Cores wish to exploit the technology of the Sector more, before taking it away. The Labs will be getting new funding to develop non-military tech.

razovor
2014-09-16, 11:00 AM
The Church of the Goddess.

The Grand Acolyte calls a global day of celebration to commemorate the liberation of Maddox. All citizens may safely return to their homes. Any further resistance should be reported to the state police. The rebuilding of Maddox to its former glory will begin shortly.

To Sergio Alvarez
Acolyte Sergio, the church would like to offer you the esteemed position of global minister of economics.

To the Maddox Peacekeepers
The church owes you a debt we can not hope to repay. We hope you intend to stay. We would be happy to offer you control of our ministry of defence, which we intend to see expand significantly in the following months.

To Rear Admiral Horace Sharp of Fleet Chameleon
We would like to talk. Send someone you trust to us when you can.

Nemesis67
2014-09-16, 03:56 PM
Hades

Rothschild

"I'm not so sure this will be that simple. Rumors have already spread, and with the Scars so fresh in memory, I don't think we can just bury it. Would it be possible to frame it as a false flag attack by the rebels?"

To the Church of the Goddess [Faction PM]
How go things in your domain?

To Governor Smyte [Faction PM]
I would presume things have gotten interesting on New Commonwealth? Anything I could to assist?

To the Church of the Goddess and Governor Smyte [Faction PM]
[OOC: Again, serving as a relay between the two if necessary, though this does mean I get access to whatever is going over the line.]

Thelonius
2014-09-17, 03:06 PM
Maddox System

To Church of The Goddess

''I accept the responsibility. The system's economy is in a bad way and we have helium shortages. Would be good to set up some trade, but considering interstellar situation, that might be dangerous. So perhaps developing our own resources would be better.''

Peacekeepers [Security 5]

''If we accept the proposal, wouldn't we be obligated to fight the wars of the Church? Just want to know what your foreign policy is going to be, before accepting anything.''

Church of The Goddess [Faction PM]

Fleet Chameleon operates outside of the civilized systems. As such finding way to contact it can be a bit more tricky - Faction PM would work, connections with Navy, as they maintain communications with the Fleets or at least somebody at the Comm Station(s) that handles the Chameleon's dispatches. Or perhaps some other way.

Rothschild System

''Well, might make sense. You can work on devising the propaganda plan then. I'll examine it and see if it is viable.''

razovor
2014-09-17, 04:18 PM
Church of The Goddess:

To Sergio Alvarez:
"Marvelous."

"As to energy I believe it is something we need to be independent on, as we can't afford for changing political allegiances to cause us shortages later."

To Peacekeepers:
"You would be required to fight the Churches wars, but you also be the first person we go to for tactical advice. The church wishes to expand, mostly peacefully, and we wish to ensure Maddox is safe now and into the future."

"What do you think our relationship with the Commonwealth, and USH should be? Obviously USH is not a potential ally, but we do not want to drawn into a war we can not win, to defend the Commonwealth."

Thelonius
2014-09-18, 05:39 AM
Maddox System

Church of The Goddess

''That makes sense. I shall begin the work, on fixing the place up.''

Peacekeepers [Security 5]

''Well, as long as you aren't seeking wars, we'd be willing to support you. As for relations with USH, probably should keep our heads low and avoid drawing attention, though hearing those rumors they'd probably come for us sooner or later. You should have some plan on what to do, when that happens.''

razovor
2014-09-18, 07:02 AM

To Sergio Alvarez and the Peacekeepers
We require a land and an air defence force. Peacekeepers, how are you capabilities? Sergio, when can we begin fleet construction?

Fleet Chameleon (PM)
The church dispatches an acolyte to travel into the outer regions and search for Fleet Chameleon. They will offer their services as a counsellor and spiritual aid. Later we will have a message for them to deliver to the fleet admiral.

Thelonius
2014-09-19, 10:40 AM
Maddox System

Church of The Goddess

Peacekeepers & Sergio Alvarez [Security 5]

Sergio Alvarez: ''Do you mean in-system strike craft or War Fleet? We can get on building the first for system defense, as for the Fleet, our industry would have trouble handling something like that. It's possible, but unless we build some powerful production facilities, it'll take [3 Turns] to make one large enough to be able to stand up to an organized enemy.''

Peacekeepers: ''We have only ground troops and not that many at that. Our weapon supply is low as well. If USH sends in a Division, we'd be able to temporarily hold them off in the fortifications at best.''

razovor
2014-09-19, 02:53 PM
The church of the goddess.

To Sergio Alvarez and the Peacekeepers: [Security 5]
We do not have need of an offensive force and I think the time necessary to build one could be better used.

I will ask our acolytes to start a recruitment drive for our ground forces, and we will begin looking for armaments we can acquire.

To Hades (pm)
Greetings. My apologies that our talk last month was so brief, as you may have heard things got rather difficult here. Thankfully the Goddess has seen us through it and the planet now stands united and free.

What is the situation on Rothschild?

ArcaneStomper
2014-09-19, 03:03 PM
Division 1010

Internal (PM)
To: Director Walker and Deputy Director Koizumi

Installation on Rothschild is complete.

Contact has been made with a highly advanced VI on the planet.

Clarification: Is this another USHI operation to be aware of?

Analysis of the New Commonwealth indicates high probability of open rebellion.

Further Analysis will require the repair of communications infrastructure damaged in the fighting.

Nemesis67
2014-09-19, 03:06 PM
Hades

Unfortunately, Governor Gray continues to dismantle any semblance of our autonomy in the name of the great USH. And his iron grip on the system prevents me from removing him using my own means.

While I am doing what I can to unify the disparate groups of Rothschild, there is only so much I can do with such an opponent.

Thelonius
2014-09-20, 08:20 AM
Church of The Goddess [Faction PM]

A few notes on your control of Maddox System:

1. You will need to assign ''Production'' at EoT (currently it's 3) to major projects like creating Strike Craft fleet for system defense or recruit an army.

2. Somebody needs to run Maddox System - as noted in ''Administration'' currently you have Sergio Alvarez, as Minister of Economy. While Peacekeepers were assigned as responsible for Defense, they lack a person capable of handling task on this level (VIP), so they don't have an effect. You can assign your own VIP or try finding some independent to take up the job. A high level VIP of the right type may be able to handle the job alone, while it could take several low level ones or with wrong specialization/traits otherwise. Of course nothing prevents you from leaving the system poorly managed, if you wish your VIPs employed elsewhere.

Division 1010 [VIP PM]

Director Walker: ’’Highly advanced VI. This is very interesting, I wasn’t aware Rothschild pursued this area of science.’’

USHI Deputy Director Koizumi: ’’Unless one of my colleagues decided to run a parallel project, they don’t wish me to know about, then no. Well, see that it’s not a threat. I’ll need a report, but right now the mess in Triangle needs sorting. If you come up on any information to show disloyal conduct within USH Navy inform me immediately. That’s a high priority.’’

’’An open rebellion on New Commonwealth shouldn’t present a problem - Division Alpha and Fleet Cepheus are there, though Cepheus is getting replaced. Dealing with New Commonwealth rebellion is priority. Though it could be a good opportunity to rebuild their networks as more controllable. BoI are actually pressing to leave them at low operation, considering how hard it is to censor data, but maybe if we replace them with an AI, it would be possible… Yes, we might salvage something from it. Of course right now getting it approved might be difficult. Director Walker, can you get an AI Core operational to plant on New Commonwealth?’’

Director Walker: ’’I will need resources for that.’’

USHI Deputy Director Koizumi: ’’I’ll support you through back channels, but I can’t authorize the project officially or Navy and BoI will get alerted and they’ll block AI insertion. I can transfer you some funds from one of our secret stashes.’’

razovor
2014-09-21, 10:04 AM

To Hades: [Faction PM]
"We are very sorry to here that."

"We may be able to assist from afar. There was a terrorist group here with some espionage capabilities. Most, unfortunately, supported their cause to the end, but a few were willing to convert, and could be of some use. We are however reluctant to involve ourselves in foreign affairs without some assurances of .... eventual returns. These are very worrisome times. With USH becoming increasingly violent, we do not want to overstretch and put our people at risk."

To Factions on Maddox [Security 5]
To the Independents controlling the Maddox Sensor Networks, Space Fortifications, and Information Networks:
"The Church of the Goddess sends you cordial greetings. We offer you into integration into the Glorious Global state of Maddox. Together we can ensure a great future for all our people."

Nemesis67
2014-09-21, 07:32 PM
Hades

"I seek a prosperous Rothschild at the center of a revitalized Polars cluster. And have no designs on anything past that, though having friendly neighbors would certainly be beneficial. While I may not have more direct means of aid, I can offer my assistance with information. That I have plenty of."

Murska
2014-09-22, 03:49 AM
Governor Daniel Smyte - Ignacio Hall [Security 4]

Of course. Just schedule it and I'll be there.

Thelonius
2014-09-23, 03:56 PM
Maddox System

Church of The Goddess [Security 5]

Maddox Sensor Networks: ''And what would we gain from such integration?''

Space Fortifications:''May I inquire what Church of The Goddess plans for Maddox System?''

Information Networks: You actually control them, but they are damaged

New Commonwealth System

Fleet Corina, led by the Admiral Clinton has arrived to the NC system.

Admiral Clinton [Security 3]

Dear Admiral Clinton,

I would like to ask you to dine with me, before I depart to fight the enemy. It would be my great pleasure, to extend my hospitality to such distinguished veteran as you.

With Honor,
Admiral Frederick Walsh

Daniel Smyte [Security 4, Encryption 2]

Governor Smyte,

The replacement for the Vice-Governor Carr will be arriving on the next Liner [Mid-Turn 2]. His name is Allen Reid and he is a highly skilled and competent man, I'm certain you would find easy to work with. I wish you best luck in dealing with the complicated situation.

Leona White, Sector Governor

Daniel Smyte [VIP PM]

Ignacio Hall invites Governor Smyte into his cabinet, a place furnished with considerable style. It appears Hall is an avid hunter with fur being featured prominently around the room. Hall smiles, offering refreshments and a selection of recreational drugs, clearly trying to establish an informal and relaxed atmospheric for the meeting. Making a bit of small talk to get the conversation going he eventually comes to the serious points.

''Depending on how things develop with BoI/USHI investigation, it's highly likely that the NC locals, who were involved in the Administration would be sent to the correctional facilities. We need to be sure they weren't involved in the Carr's assassination. Now I don't need to elaborate that their stay wouldn't be pleasant and quite possibly permanent. Now you've worked with some of these people, so perhaps if you feel certain attachment to some of them, I can see about a few names being excluded from the list.'' Colonel Hall smiles a warm smile. ''Unpleasant business all of this, but no need to make it hard on good people like you Governor.''

razovor
2014-09-25, 03:56 AM

Maddox Internal: [Security 5]
To Maddox Sensor Networks: "The church will be organising the productive capacity of the planet, to make real improvements to the lives of it's people. Together we can make a better world".

To Space Fortifications: "We plan to develop Maddox into a prosperous, well-defended independent world-state."

To Hades: [PM]
"We have completed our work in Maddox, and are ready to lend assistance elsewhere. We are concerned however, that your territory is some distance, and we may not have a safe passage to you. We are prepared to improvise a solution, but we need something better for the long-term. You say you have many skilled informants. Can you find us an unsecured lab with the details of Stealth Designs technology?

To Rouge Labs: [GM]
Does Rouge Labs have Stealth Designs technology?

Thelonius
2014-09-25, 02:36 PM
Maddox System

Church of The Goddess

Internal [Security 5]

Maddox Sensor Networks: ''Well, that sounds excellent. With all that peace and prosperity, you'll be swimming in cash. So how about you pay us [5] Sols per [Turn] and we'll forward the data to you.''

Space Fortifications: ''That is good to hear, but what's your plan for USH?''

Rouge Labs [GM]

You don't know. Might need to ask them.

Imperial Psycho
2014-09-25, 03:32 PM
Admiral Clinton
Fleet Carina

To Admiral Walsh
Certainly, I would be happy to accept.

To Daniel Smyte
Greetings.

As you are no doubt aware, my forces will be replacing Fleet Cepheus in the Commonwealth for the moment. I hope to provide a calming influence in these troubled times. To discuss how to accomplish peace in this sector, I hope you will meet with me on my ship? I believe there is much we should discuss.

Admiral Darrion Clinton

Murska
2014-09-25, 07:00 PM
Daniel Smyte - Admiral Clinton [VIP PM]

Governor Smyte accepts the invitation, and after a suitable time is set, arrives on a shuttle.

Daniel Smyte - Ignacio Hall [VIP PM]

"I see. Yes, the investigation is of course very important for public safety. I don't want to introduce bias or anything, but I've felt something off about mr. Gardner, one of my senior Administrators..."

Daniel spends a few minutes playing time with small talk, before bringing up a few names he'd like to be kept off the list. Young and impressionable people, among whom are Olivia Sullivan and Susan Mills, and a couple other people whom Daniel thinks would be easier than average to convince to work for him if necessary. And hopefully he can then influence the replacement of those people so that the new hires turn out to be people he can get along with...

"How exactly do you intend to set up your troops and their facilities in the system? There's already plenty of logistical problems with the shift of the two fleets, and what with the administration in some disarray over the recent events, it is not easy keeping on top of everything."

Thelonius
2014-09-26, 11:01 AM
New Commonwealth System

Admiral Clinton & Daniel Smyte [Faction PM]

[It is usually expected of the Governor to host a social event, to meet high-ranking officers of the Navy, when the new Fleet arrives, to foster cooperation and communication. The senior USH officials are expected to attend. With the state of confusion in the administration it's understandable, if it would be delayed, but it is expected norm]

Admiral Walsh & Admiral Clinton [VIP PM]

The meeting takes place on the flagship of the Fleet Cepheus, a Dreadnought ''Valiant''. It's less imposing sight, then the massive ship of Admiral Clinton, but still one of the top line of the USH Fleets. The Admiral Walsh's reception is lavish, with a selection of foods, rare wines and objects of art displayed prominently. It is clear that Walsh seeks to impress.

''It is a true honor to have an opportunity to complete the destruction of the Terran Authority, that you have so brilliantly started. Though I fear despite the reports from the attack, we are dealing with a minor exploration fleet, that was away in the Rim.'' He pours more wine and offers ''I wish the enemy was of greater strength, so both of our Fleets would be mobilized. It's truly a crime to waste men of our caliber on guard duty. The system is thoroughly pacified and I expect the only enemy you would have to fight would be boredom. The greatest foe of military men, Admiral'', says Walsh smiling.

Ignacio Hall & Daniel Smyte [VIP PM]

''Administrator Gardner? I'm surprised to hear it, after how he recommended himself in the recent crisis. He put his best efforts to get you and Director Thornton out of your unfortunate confinement. Well, if you find out anything, please, do tell me, but I feel your suspicions are misplaced.''

Ignacio Hall listens as Daniel recounts names and asks questions on the character of the people. Daniel gets a feeling that Hall is subtly probing to see if Governor holds any special emotional attachment to the people, paying a bit more attention for the names of the younger and more attractive women and men. While he pretends to know little of them, Daniel gets a feeling Hall had studied on at least some of the imprisoned administrators.

''I see you care deeply for the people working under you'' Colonel Hall praises Daniel. ''I shall see what can be done to spare the hard-working, innocent men. That will be my top priority Governor, that I promise.''

At the question of the organization, Colonel waves his hands and calls for less business and more enjoyment of the fine luxuries, delivered by his young, attractive staff. However he soon concedes to speak of the matter. ''I'm quite familiar with such hurdles and it would be no issue for my Division to live off the land. With all those traitors removed, a lot of prime estate and funds would be available. But of course I would welcome any assistance from the Administration, you've spent here some time, I'm certain you'd know nice place, with all little luxuries a tired soldier requires to relax and help set up the supply lines. But I do not wish to burden you unduly in this difficult time. With system in a technical state of unrest, a lot of red tape can be cut, if needed.''

Murska
2014-09-26, 04:33 PM
Daniel Smyte - Ignacio Hall [PM]

Hmm. Smart man. Daniel has no such attachments, but it shouldn't be too difficult to plant some fake leads, turn his investigations towards the wrong people. Meanwhile, he mirrors the body language of the Colonel to put him more at ease.

"I hope you are right, regarding Gardner. It is just a feeling. But I am sure the USH investigators will be far more competent than I in gleaning the truth of the matter.

As for the matter of logistics, I am sure we can arrange something. I would say that, while it's mostly the BoI's business usually, right now they are somewhat in disarray. Looking to the outside like we'd be capitalizing on the recent misfortune would be counterproductive to pacifying the situation, but we can easily set things up through a little detour. If we don't interfere, the ones taking in the profit will be local corporations and industry, by virtue of having the capital to act. If we steer those profits suitably, and arrange for you to set up on resorts owned by one such corporation, things should resolve neatly."

Of course, Daniel will make sure that the USH troops set up unasked on the assets of those corporate tycoons most likely to flip their attitude towards the USH because of it, while the profits from the recently vacated property are, instead, either mired in red tape or, if possible, subtly shifted to fronts under control of my 'friends'.

Nemesis67
2014-09-27, 02:22 PM
Hades

Unfortunately my contacts lie elsewhere. However, I believe that I have the people in place to help you in Rothschild at least. Though I don't believe Kiel or the other Polars systems will be as easy to pass.

Thelonius
2014-09-28, 05:54 PM
New Commonwealth System

Admiral Clinton, Daniel Smyte [Security 2]

The newly appointed Vice-Governor Allen Reid has arrived to the system.

Maddox System

Source 0

The arrival of the large USH Fleet to the system is a complete surprise and shock, that would probably have sent the population of the Maddox into panic, if it weren’t for people’s faith in the Church and its divine protection. The unbelievers may think it foolish, as crowds find comfort in knowledge that grace of the First Acolyte shall save them from orbital strikes. Those closed-minded atheists obviously don’t know the great power of the Goddess.

Church of The Goddess

A message is received from the group/individual that controls System Sensors - [I]''Sure would have good to know about that Fleet’s arrival as soon as they exited Warp. Or get up-to-date report on their current position and composition.''

A message from Space Defence: ''Might be able to sink a couple, if we manage a sucker punch. Keep us informed, if such opportunity presents itself. Should have been building missiles instead of mines.''

razovor
2014-09-29, 07:43 AM

To USH Fleet at Maddox:
"Grand Acolyte Taryn welcomes you to the territory of Maddox. We request knowledge of why you have arrived in our sector."

Thelonius
2014-09-29, 08:35 AM
Maddox System

First Acolyte Taryn [Security 5]

''This is Commodore Myra Walsh. Please provide information on the status of the Maddox system and confirm your allegiance to the USH.''

razovor
2014-09-29, 03:21 PM

To Space Fortifications: [Security 5]
"You have the technology to build missiles? We have the production capacity of a planet, and a entire division of top scientists. How much damage do you think we can do with a bit of time?"

"Also, is there a warp stabilizer in this system that can be easily taken out?"

Thelonius
2014-09-29, 05:28 PM
Maddox System

Church of The Goddess [Security 5]

''Might be enough. We provide tech, you send us missiles and we'll see what can be done.''

''There's a warp stabilizer, yes. You prepared to hit it? Because they will torch you for that.''

razovor
2014-09-30, 01:20 PM
The church of the goddess

To Sergio alvarez, Frank Carroll, and the peacekeepers
USH has turned their attentions to us earlier than expected. Our options broadly are to surrender or fight. Surrender would of course be vastly unpopular with the populace and significantly reduce our power.

On the assumption that USH has underestimated us, we may be able to overpower this individual armada. That would leave us with the prospect of a sustained combat which we certainly could not win without a quite unlikely sudden change in the dynamics of this sector.

We could attempt to destroy our local warp stabilizer which would give us some breathing time, the obvious result being the immediate need for self-sufficiency which would put other projects on significant hold

Sergio, what would be our primary economic problems without access to a warp lane? Trade to Maddox has been sparse with the chaos of the last few years

Thelonius
2014-10-01, 03:40 AM
Maddox System

Church of the Goddess

Sergio Alvarez: ''We are fully self-sufficient, though of course the system could benefit greatly from trade.''

Frank Carroll: ''We don't have any space defenses and without knowing how strong those under control of the unknowns, it's hard to make a prediction. For all we know it's a couple cons with a single outdated torpedo launcher. As such I'd rather assume the worst. The next question is whether the brought ground troops or if they plan to beat us into submission with orbital strikes. We might have a chance against ground troops, if they are cocky and not too strong, though it would take a prolonged guerrilla campaign to dislodge them. If it's orbital strikes, and rumors from NC say, they won't have much compunctions about hitting civilian targets, then it's question on when the population's spirit would be broken and how far USH is willing to go to break it.''

Peacekeepers: ''Destroying WSD... that's against Commonwealth conventions of war. Not that there's much stock in any norms of war, since USH has arrived...''

Murska
2014-10-01, 01:54 PM
Daniel Smyte - NC Rebels [VIP PM]

All right. I've managed to get my hands on some USH military-grade ship parts in the chaos of the fleet exchange. I don't think they'll notice it, though it was a bit risky. But if you can find a way to get some civilian hulls, we can secretly fit the milspec components and guns on them, and use them for a surprise attack if and when we have a good opportunity.

Thelonius
2014-10-01, 02:05 PM
New Commonwealth

Daniel Smyte [VIP PM]

[You meet with Jack once more, though in another location. The Cepheus Fleet strike destroyed the building with the bar.]

''Okay. That sounds great. I don’t think we can do much on on NC - the USH is keeping a close watch on us here. But if you can help us get our men to other Commonwealth systems, connect with rebels there, we might be able to accomplish something. You must have some idea of other systems security and whether their Bureau of Economics SAs are competent or ****. We find a blind spot and build some ships of our own under the nose of USH. Strike back against the bastards.''

Murska
2014-10-01, 02:29 PM
'Jack' [VIP PM]

"I can ask around. Need to be careful, so they don't notice the stuff I've pulled.

But it's pretty difficult for me to do much of anything outside this system unless I have some reason to. If you do have any contacts out there already, you should tell me who to find. I could send some couriers to carry messages to other Administrators that could send our mail on the side. And some non-earmarked funds would help to convince some less dedicated officials to look the other way.

Oh yeah. It took some pretty brash moves to get my hands on those parts. I need to offload them soon. But I do want to put them to use."

Thelonius
2014-10-01, 02:44 PM
New Commonwealth System

Daniel [VIP PM]

''Okay. Let's do it this way. Pick a system, you think would be best suited for the operation and I'll give you the names and credentials that should get the loyalists there cooperating. We aren't so good on funds - the USH mad slaughter left our people in great need.''

Murska
2014-10-01, 03:21 PM
'Jack' [VIP PM]

"All right. Hm." Daniel thinks for a moment. "We need the helium to run anything we build. White Harbor should be our base of operations.

As for the funds, eh. I'll find a way to steal from the USH."