PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Using sorcerer/duskblade spell rules for a magus?

aza9999
2014-09-01, 04:02 PM
I'm looking at joining a new group playing pathfinder but i've only played 3.5 before.

One of my favourite classes was the duskblade and while researching how to convert them to pathfinder i saw someone suggest magus instead.

The magus class looks pretty much the same as the duskblade except for their usage of wizard style prepared spells instead of duskblade/sorcerer style known spells.

I've seen the eldritch scion archetype but it means switching from int-based to charisma based which doesn't fit my "monster researcher" theme that i want to use (he tries to encounter as many different creatures as possible so that he can catalogue and research them). It also trades off a lot of spells (using the bard spell progression) in exchange for extra character features that i don't want to use.

Can anyone see any significant problems or exploits that would occur if i were to approach my GM about using sorcerer/duskblade spell mechanics instead of wizard?

I would need to adjust the magus spells per day in line with the wizard vs sorcerer spell progression (sorcerers get spells 1 level later than wizards, but more of them) or adjust the duskblade progression slightly but that shouldn't be too hard to tweak i think?

Thoughts?

Red Bear
2014-09-01, 04:56 PM
using "spell recall" the magus is almost like some kind of sorcerer/wizard hybrid

edit: also spontaneous casting is officially charisma based...

Xerlith
2014-09-01, 05:00 PM
Spell recall is not a problem. Knowledge pool is where the problem lies. Although it's more or less the same as if it was the normal, prepared mechanic. I'd say int-spontaneous casting does absolutely nothing in terms of balance. Well, maybe saves you one-two swift actions per round.

Seriously, just use the Bard's spellcasting with Cha swapped to Int and you're good to go.

aza9999
2014-09-01, 05:01 PM
using "spell recall" the magus is almost like some kind of sorcerer/wizard hybrid

Thats a good point, but it only works with spells already cast, which is helpful if you need more of a particular spell than you had prepared that day but not in the case of "i didn't expect to need this one today so i didn't prepare it"

I prefer spontaneous casters because i hate it when you get in a situation where you go "i've got the perfect spell that can help us resolve this problem...it will be ready tomorrow" :smallbiggrin:

Red Bear
2014-09-01, 05:04 PM
Spell recall is not a problem. Knowledge pool is where the problem lies.

I diddn't mean it as a problem, I meant it as a "solution". I meant that the base magus class is already a spontaneous caster in a way so the OP could just play that

aza9999
2014-09-01, 05:12 PM
Seriously, just use the Bard's spellcasting with Cha swapped to Int and you're good to go.

I just realised i was reading the spell progression wrong. I thought that bards (and therefore eldritch scion) had a lower spell progression than magus but then i realised when comparing tables i was looking at the level 0 spells a magus has and bards don't which makes them look like they get more spells.

I think using bard spell progression with int stat could definitely work though, thanks :)